White Sapphires | Teen Ink

White Sapphires

By MeganLaChance SILVER, Wells, Maine
MeganLaChance SILVER, Wells, Maine

To be yourself in a world filled with people who want to change you is the worlds greatest accomplishment.

Author's note: The series "Beautiful Creatures" inspired me to write this piece. I loved the idea of forbidden love and a strong female role in the book so I made this story kind of like if there was gonna be another book it would be from Lena's daughters point of view.

The day she was born I knew she was meant for something significant. Alexandrea was a little more discreet from all the other kids. She could make things transpire, like most of our family. Alex had eyes the color of sapphires and her hair was a off white color. It was odd for our family and mortal families. Yes we are immortals. The thing is we are unique, unlike other immortals. We have powers, but not like super heroes. We can't fly, we don't have super human strength as mortals call it. We can control a certain element, control animals, change our and others appearances, change things to how we feel, reanimate the deceased. That sort of thing.

Now back to Alexandrea. Well growing up she wasn't excepted by anyone. Her powers started to develop at around ten. She started with communicating with animals. She loved this power. It wasn't uncommon for a child in our family to have powers be exchange or loose them before they are fully developed. Then it went to changing her appearance. She liked that one as well. She had a unfair advantage in the game "hide and seek". Then they stopped coming and working by her sixth or seventh swap out. She was eleven that day. The day they stopped was the day darkness set in.

When Alexandrea was sixteen she assured herself that things would be different. And how right she was. The first day of school was closing in and she was finishing unpacking all of her things into her new room. She had just moved to Australia with her aunt after her mother died. She had spent all summer mourning and being angry with the driver who had smashed into her mother. She finally unpacked the boxes and was wrapped up in all the good memories that she wasn't thinking of the intoxicated driver who smashed into her mother. She had totally forgotten about school and all the horrid things in life. Thats when she noticed she was on the ceiling.
"Aunt Jaaannne!" She yelled with uncertainty. "I need you to come into my room now!"
"I'm coming dear whats wrong?" She asked in a rattled tone.
"Come see."
"Oh my god. What happened?" She said as she barged into the room.
"I don't know. One moment I was reminiscing, then the next I was on the ceiling."
"But you're sixteen and your powers stopped when you were eleven. This can't be right. Let me check history to see if this has happened in our family before." Jane was a back path. It's like looking back into history but from the time you are at now then back. "This has never occurred before. You are the first sweetie. What could this mean?"
"I don't know auntie Jane. All I know is that I have school tomorrow, so I need to get off the ceiling." As she said that it was like the anti gravity was turned off. She landed right on her face. But luckily she was right over her bed. Right as she fell, her dog Killer stomped his enormous paws of the hard floor.
"Hi Killer, come here big boy." Alex said with a muffled babying voice.
"Whats up bright eyes. How was the fall?" Said Killer said in a sarcastic, yet clear human voice.
"What did you just say Killer?"
"You can understand him?"
"I think so, Killer say something." Alex said with amazement.
"Okay Alex. What do you want?" He said a little annoyed.
"Aunt Jane, did you hear that?"
"All I heard was barks. You have two powers! There has only been a few occurrences. What is going on?" Jane said with astonishment and confusion.
"I don't know but I am hungry. And I have school tomorrow so just forget about it." Alex said a little irritated and confused.

Jane, Alexandrea and Killer all march to the dinning room and ate dinner. The whole night was silent. The only noise was of the tv and Killer making comments about what they were watching. Alex couldn't wait for tomorrow. New school, new friends, new teachers, new everything. She couldn't wait. As she thought about school more and more, she wanted to impress, so she went up stairs to find an outfit for school. As she reached the threshold she noticed something on her bed. It was a black and plaid. She went up to her bed and sighed. Then she muttered "Of coarse I get enrolled in a private school." She was disgusted by the fact that she was going to a private school. And even more disgusted that she was going to be around stuck up wealthy jerks.

Alex woke up to Killer singing a melody. Not like his howls but a human voice then she remembered she could understand Killer. Killer sang about how beautiful Alex was and how her eyes were as blue as blue could be. She started to laugh and laugh. Then she thought to herself today is going to be a good day.
"Good morning Killer." She said with a slight giggle.
"Ello bright eyes, ow are you." Killer said with a British accent.
"Top of the morning mop. I'm good, ow are you?" Alex returned the British accent.
"Good. You have to get up and go to school remember. Oh, oh can I go with you?"
"If you mean follow me to the bus stop and go home then come and get me at three."
"No, but following you is good too. Well get out of bed bright eyes,get dressed and go eat. By the way I'm hungry too."
"Okay let's go."

So Killer and Alex walked down the street and as she neared the end of the street and saw other people she turn to Killer and said
"Killer no talking to me when we are around other people okay. I don't want them to get suspicious or label me as a freak. If you try to I won't answer back or I will treat you like a real dog."
"What ever you say bright eyes."
"Good boy." She said with a baby voice.
"Good bright eyes." Said Killer mocking her baby voice.

When Alex and Killer got to the bus Alex noticed people were staring at her. Was it her hair that she had worked so hard to get into a braid or having brought Killer to the bus with her. And then finally a girl about her age went to her side and started a conversation with Alex.
"Hi, I'm Samantha. And you are?" She dragged out the word "are" more than she should have.
"Alexandrea, but you can call me Alex." She said quietly as if she were under cover.
"Well Alex you do know that animals are prohibited on school grounds right?" She said in a arrogant tone as if she had something to prove.
"Yeah, he just follows me every where then goes home after he drops me off at the bus stop. Thats what he did when we lived in America. Killer, home." She said gently.
"Killer, oh how original, okay then. Here comes the bus now." Samantha walked off. She seemed like she thought the world revolved around her.

As she got on the bus she noticed a girl wearing all black being picked on. She made her way all the way out back and sat by the girl and simply said
"Hi I'm Alexandrea, but you can call me Alex."
"Cool, I'm Liesel but my friends call me Crow." In a 'I'm not interested in being your friend' tone.
"Well Crow... I like both of your names."
"Thanks Alex, hey are you new in town."
"Yeah, how do you know?"
"You have an American accent. Very American." She said with her thick German accent.
"Are you German?"
"Yes, and I know my accent is thick."
"I didn't mean to offend you if I did."
"You didn't. I just get asked that question a lot."
"What school you going to?"
"Ridgeton Private School."
"Me too."
"Nice, who are your teachers. Maybe I can help you with that."
"I have Mr.Smith for History, Ms.Chavlor for English, Mrs.Flyler for Math, then Mr.Drade for Science. I also have Speech, which I'm not to happy about. I mean seriously I speak perfectly well."
"What block do you have speech?"
"Last, why?"
"You and I have speech together then." She said in a mono tone.
"Oh, see you in last block then." As she said that the bus stopped and she got up. It was a good start today. But still the way they were picking on Crow stuck in her mind. She didn't care about what they were saying. She just ignored them. She didn't sink as low as they were. She was awesome in her book.

It was weird. The people you thought were cool were actually losers and the so called losers were the cool kids. Life is odd with how things work out. If the schools in Australia were anything like the schools in America, she knew that she wasn't going to be popular. And that she was fine with. She would much rather be friends with nice "losers" than jerky jocks and cheerleaders.

When she entered the school she noticed it looked like a regular school except for the uniforms. She went directly to the office like Crow had told her to on the bus and said to the lady at the desk
"Hi, umm, I'm Alexandrea Hoffkins. I'm new here so I need help around the school. So..."
"I'll call you in a guide." The lady said sweetly as she turned on a mic. "David Malice please come to the office. David Malice please come to the office." A few minutes passed by and a boy that was about Alex's age skidded into the office.
"Yes Ms.Barrage what do you need?" He said trying to catch his breath.
"Well we have a new student. Do you think you could show Alex around."
"Sure, where is he?" He said a little confused.
"You mean she. This is Alexandrea." She gestured to Alex.
"Well umm, okay shall we get started Alexandrea."
"Sure. But call me Alex, okay David?"
"Yeah, totally."

Alex and David walked down the hallways while David told the history of the school. She started to ignore him but not on purpose. She heard him but not what he was saying, but what he was thinking. Wow, this girl is totally hot. To bad Samantha already labeled her a freak. She is definitely popularity material. I wonder why she was labeled so quick. Maybe sat with the wrong people on the bus, but how was she supposed to know when everyone is wearing the same thing. I love it when new kids come, cause I get to walk around school all day and explain where things are and not have to go to class. I should probably bring Alexandrea to her teachers so she knows where to go.
As soon as he thought that she pulled herself out of his mind and was amazed at what she had just done. As far as she knew no immortal could read minds. She turned to David and said
"Hey, do you mind showing me where the class rooms are?"
"Yeah, who do you have first?"
"Mr.Smith first block, then Ms.Chavlor, Mrs.Flyler, then Mr.Drade. Okay the next one you can't laugh at me for."
"Okay."
"Last I have Speech. I don't know why though."
"It's because you don't sound Australian. You have an American accent still." He chuckled a little.
"You said you weren't going to laugh at me. You're horrible!" She pushed David playfully.
"I'm not laughing at you just laughing at the fact that they put people who can speak perfectly fine get put in Speech class." He said still laughing.
"You're a jerk."
"I know you are but what am I?"
"Are you seriously antagonizing me?"
"No just teasing you. Okay let's go to your classes."

They had gone to all of Alex's classes and to the student lounge where Alex would go for her free block. By the time they were done it was lunch time. Because it had been raining earlier the option of going outside for lunch was not there anymore. So Alex went to the lunch lines and got her food and sat at an empty table. People only walked past her and stared as if she was a monster. Technically she was but not the one people were treating her like. She kept wondering "Is this what it feels like to be a nobody?" It was a horrible feeling. Even in her old school she had a few friends. But what she didn't know was that someone was thinking of sitting with her.
"David don't you dare go over there. If you do you won't be able to sit here for a week!"
"Whatever Sam. You don't own me. Just because your my sister doesn't mean you control me." He said very annoyed.
"David Matthew James Malice I will tell mother..." Before she could say another word David cut her off.
"Tell mom what?! That I sat with a girl that was sitting alone because she has no friends!Well go ahead I don't care!" All eyes were on David and he didn't care.
"David sit down. People are staring." She whispered cautiously through her teeth.
"Bye Sam." As he said that he walked towards Alex.

"Hey Alex. Mind if I sit with you?" He said calmly.
"No I'm sorry but the tables full cant you see." She said sarcastically.
"Oh well I'll just sit on someone." He said laughing.
"So what brings you to these parts?" She said with a southern accent.
"Oh nothing really except you." He said and after he said it he felt awkward.
"Umm, okay. So I saw Samantha yelling at you. Is she your girlfriend or something?" David looked disgusted.
"No way, she's my younger sister. But I can understand why you would think that."
"Oh I am so sorry."
"No it's fine. Seriously though, why aren't you sitting with anyone?" He said concerned.
"Cause I don't know anyone except you and Crow. Crow doesn't have the same lunch period as me,and you are popular. I mean seriously your sister would never let me sit with you guys. I heard that Samantha thinks I'm a freak." She said quietly.
"What did you do this morning while she was around?" He said a little angry.
"Well my dog came with me to the bus stop and apparently she doesn't like dogs, then I sat with Leisel on the bus because there were a bunch of jerks picking on her so I sat with her." She said innocently.
"Well sitting with Liesel did it because she's one of the goth kids that cut themselves. So you put yourself in the freak cabinet. I know you didn't mean to do that but you did."
"I don't care I would rather have nice friends that are "freaks" than have jerky cheerleader friends. So if you think I'm a freak and you care about your reputation then go sit with your sister." She said in an irritated tone.
"I don't care what your labeled as. I sit with my sister so my mom doesn't freak out at me. I hang out with the guys that sit at my sisters table. They are all fakes. I guess I'm a fake as well." He said with a sad chuckle.
"Well you are kind of a little fake, no offense. And you need to learn how to not try to impress people all the time." She said cautiously.
"Okay well I didn't know that we were having a therapy session. So Doctor Alex what do I do to make myself a better person?" David said while laughing.
"Well I have sessions all week if you want to schedule one." She said as she burst out into laughter.
"Well I'll need your number first. So can I get the digits?"
"Yeah, just give me your cell phone and I'll put myself in your phone." She said as she giggled. David handed her his iPhone and she instantly she went to the camera and took a picture of herself and made her contact in his phone.
"Okay all done." She said flirtatiously.
"Hey you changed my screen saver. And it's you. Nice pic,this is so going on Facebook. Seriously, you stuck your tongue out! Hahahahahaha this is the funniest picture ever!"
"Don't you dare! Give me that!"
"No way it's mine, I bought it. You should have seen your face. You were just like
Oh no I don't want people to know I'm hanging out with this weirdo. Help someone delete the picture. Oh noooo. It's so funny."
"Oh shut up you jerk. You put it on Facebook, you die."
"Now with the threats. Is that all you American girls do? You know what, scratch that, is that all you girls do?"
"Ha ha very funny. I give you my number and you do this, thanks." As she finished the bell rang signaling that lunch was over. "Walk me around some more David?"
"Yeah where do you want to go?"
"How about the student lounge?" She said flirtatiously.
"But we've already been there." He wined.
"Oh I know, but I want to meet Crow there." She wined back.
"Oh, okay. But don't say I didn't warn you when Sam is there."
"I had to have free time at the same time as your sister." She mumbled.
"You know you can change your blocks right?"
"No, I didn't. But thanks for telling me. I can't do that to Crow though."
"Well maybe she will change blocks as well?"
"No, I think I can deal with your little sister."
"Then I will change my blocks." He said softly as they made their way to the student lounge.
"Go ahead, I won't stop you. I don't own you. Seriously don't make me sound like your little sis." She said innocently.
"Why would I insult you like that? I mean no one deserves to be called that bad of a name." He said while laughing
"Look if you don't want to go over right know we can go later, and we can go look at your classes right now." She said quietly.
"Sure, if you don't mind. I seriously don't feel like dealing with my sister."
"Another hour and we'll be out of school. And I will get to paint." She said as if she had won a game.
"Wait, you paint?" He said as if he knew something she didn't.
"Yeah why?" She said.
"Well because the art teacher Ms.Rose let's us do what we want in her art room when we have our free blocks." He said.
"Then take me there David. I want to paint." She wined then laughed.
"Well okay, but only because you asked. By the way Ms.Rose is a little off her rocker." He whispered.
"Well I think I can handle her." She said defiantly.
"Well then you can explain to Ms.Rose that you're new here. She will ask you every time if you are zombie if your new. She literally believes in zombies." He said to make her change her mind.
"Okay then lets go." She ordered.

So they made their way to the art room and explained that Alex was new. She asked Ms.Rose where the canvas and water colors were, and when she had her supplies she was off. She started with a thin, white, fragile face and red, red lips. All David knew was that she was painting a woman. A very pretty woman. Then Alex started to water out the black and made very large strokes with the brush. It was the woman's hair. She had thick black hair that was long and beautiful. When David asked who the woman was she sadly replied "my mother".
"What happened to her?" He asked with compassion.
"A drunk driver hit her while she and I were crossing the street. She pushed me to the side of the street to save me but it cost her her life." She said in a pained voice.
"I'm so sorry. I didn't know." He said in a compassionate voice.
"Hey it's time to go. So umm I'll talk to you later." David caught her by the arm and said
"Sorry, umm do you want to walk with me?" He said cautiously.
"Sure, but I'm not riding the bus." She replied back.
"Okay then I'll walk with you." He said. His tone said a whole different thing like 'What ever you do I will follow.'
"Fine, by the way my dog will be waiting at the bus stop for us so we better get moving." She said trying to get him to ride the bus.
"Okay let's go then." She knew she wasn't going to loose him.

So they walked to the gas station by Alex's house and got some drinks, Alex a Jones Orange Creme Soda and David a Jones Sugar Cane Cola. They walked down the sunny road in complete silence. Then Alex couldn't take it anymore.
"Why did you sit with me at lunch?" She had asked quietly.
"Because your nice and my sister doesn't like you." He said in a matter of fact tone.
"Don't lie to me. Now tell me the real reason." She demanded.
"Your gonna laugh at me but whatever. Because I used to go to a boys private school in junior high and when I moved to this one I was just like you. No one liked me and so the guys my sister hangs out with were paid to hang out with me. Also I... kinda like you." When he spoke he made the last three words each was quieter than the last.
"What do you mean?" She said kind of confused.
"Like I think your pretty and nice and stuff. Please don't spread that around. God, I must sound like an idiot or worse, corny." He laughed.
"Oh my god, we've known each other for a day and you already have the hots for me. Wow okay, this has never happened before. Ummm yeah well this is my house. So umm I'll see you later then." She said trying not to cry because for some reason she wanted to cry.
"You've never been told that your pretty by a boy, have you?" He wondered.
"Just go." He did not budge "Go away!" She said a little louder and again he did not move. "LEAVE NOW!" She screamed and as she did she and David became drenched in rain.
"What are you?" He said frightened
"Oh no. You have to come with me." She said frightened herself.
"Why should I? I want to know what you are."
"Come with me and you'll find out." She said in all seriousness. Before he could answer she pulled him into her house. Luckily her aunt wasn't going to be home until 6am tomorrow and there was no way Killer could tell her aunt. She slipped into her room and pulled David behind her.
"What am I doing in your room and back to my first question, what in the world are you!?" He exclaimed in fury and confusion.
"Okay if I tell you you can't tell anyone else. Do you understand?" David nodded "Good. Okay well umm I am immortal. There really is no name for immortals like me, not like vampires or werewolves. Um I have powers and I'm not really sure what they all are. The ones I have discovered is that I can understand animals like my dog, I can read people's minds, walk on the ceiling and control weather, as you have experienced. Let me get you some dry clothes. Hopefully you'll fit into my uncles clothes. So hold on a sec."
"How old are you, cause it's a total turn off if your like 187 or something." He said cautiously yet still joking.
"I'm seventeen, just like you and I was born October 28 1995. And Today is August eighteenth 2013." She said laughing.
"Your birthday is in two months and your uncles not here. Where is he any ways?" He asked innocently.
"He is fighting a war in Iraq. So don't remind me." She exclaimed.
"Umm, just a question, but a have you ever read my mind?" He said nervously.
"Ah about that. You are how I found out. I heard you say, I mean think that you thought I was hot. And um that you didn't know why I am considered a freak." She admitted.
"Umm okay, well this is a little awkward. Where's your bathroom cause I need to change?" He said to tear away from the conversation.
"Um see that door right there in the corner of my room. That's the only bathroom upstairs. So yeah stay in there until I tell you it's okay to come out. Don't want anyone peeping." She said in a serious tone.
"Okay okay, I promise I won't look." He said not so serious tone but he meant it all the same.
"Get in the bathroom or so help me David bla bla bla Malice I will tell mother. Now who do I sound like. Hmmm lets see..... Sam."
"Yes ma'am."

After they got changed they went down stairs and watched tv
"I can't believe you brought a boy into the house without telling your aunt! I mean what do you think is gonna happen! I swear I will bite him if he tries to hurt you! I am part German Shepard you know and Pit Bull!" Killer was tweaking out and almost to the point where he could have a heart attack.
"Killer take a break seriously your gonna have a heart attack, I mean your already having a spaz attack." She said annoyed
"What's he saying now?" David wondered.
"He says he hates you and that he would bite you when I left the room." She said in a normal tone of voice.
"Um remind me not to be in a room alone with that dog." He said in a serious voice.
"If he knows what's good for him he won't bite you." She growled in Killer's direction.
"Ha, that's funny there bright eyes." Killer exclaimed.
"So you're taking the whole immortal thing well. At least on the outside." She said in a monotone voice.
"On the inside I'm freaking out but you know I'm okay. Promise me you won't read my mind all the time." He said shakily.
"I can't when you have your mind on lock down the way you do now. When I read your mind last time your head wasn't locked. You didn't know anyone could read your mind so you left it completely open. That's how I got in. I want to try something okay, but you have to calm down and unlock your mind." She said curiously.
"Um why are you gonna fry my brains or something?" He said sarcastically.
"No, just do what I told you and think about something." She said as if it were like taking a breath. All of a sudden she fell into that place where it felt quiet and as if she had been there a million times. I wonder if Alex can hear me. Oh I am sooooo freaking out. I wish I could tell someone but I promised. David thought then another voice came in and it was Alexandrea's.
Glad you can keep a promise. Alex thought.
Who said that? Alex was that you?
'Yup, and my hypothesis was correct. We can communicate telepathically. Cool. Hey are you hungry?'
'Yeah, I'm starved. All this freaking out on the inside is making me hungry.
'I got some cheese ravioli I can cook if you want some. Hey shouldn't you be going home?'
'Nah, told my mom I was gonna be volunteering at the kids football practice. You know like the kindergartner and them and that I was gonna crash at Toms place. I'll probably have to pay him to keep it a on the down low that I wasn't at his house.'
'Okay, just don't drag me into this and you aren't sleeping over. I don't need a couch crasher.'
'Fine I'm leaving, but can I have ravioli first.'
'Fine.' She dragged out as if it were a strain on her.

By the time they were done eating it was about seven.
"Cool, practice gets out right now so if I leave now I can make it home and not have my mom think I wasn't up to something. So I'll see you tomorrow."
"I don't know depends if I want to deal with your sister on the bus." She said sarcastically.
"Well I'll ride on the bus with you okay."
"You better get going." She said
"Kay, see you later. I... Never mind. Bye."

As David left Alex started on the dishes so her aunt wouldn't have to do them in the morning and so she didn't see the extra plate. When she was done she packed her lunch and went to her room. She flopped onto her bed and heard the crinkle of paper. It was a letter from David.

Dear Alex, I don't really understand fully what you are, so I was wondering if Friday you would meet me at the restaurant in Sydney called "Wildfire Restaurant". Wear nice clothes because it has a dress code of dress and suit. I wish to see you there at 6:30. Have a great night Alex.
- Love David
P.S.
The restaurant is on Circle Quay West Street. And forget my good bye.

Alex smiled at the letter. It was the first time she had ever been asked out. On a real date. She was so excited and couldn't wait for Friday that she tore through her closet to find a fancy dress. Of corse she didn't have one so she looked through the boxes of her mothers old clothes. There she found four dresses that would fit her. The first was a long, white dress with one long sleeve. It had a diamond belt and necklace to go with it. She knew that it would look bad on her from the start seeing as how her hair was almost the same color as her dress. The next was a short, emerald green dress that looked as if a female lawyer would wear to work. The next was a long, fiery red dress. The bottom was made to look like a beautiful fire. She liked this one so she tried it on it was the perfect size and length. She still had another dress to try on. The next dress was a long, blue dress. It was long sleeved and beautiful. It still smelled like her mothers perfume. She put it on and instantly knew she was going to wear this one. She found the jewelry she was going to wear. She hung up all the dresses and hid the note. She fell asleep and dreamed of what was going to happen Friday.

So Alex went through her morning routine and walked with Tippy to the bus.
"Hey Alex, over here." Called David
"Hey, I thought you drove to school." She said a little confused.
"Yeah and I told you that I was going to ride the bus today." He said reminding her.
"Okay then you will sit with me, Kay?" She said trying to sound Australian.
"Well I see you've been working on your accent, but you need to sound a little less British." He said as he squeezed her tight.
"What was that for? We aren't dating, so what was that for?"
"Well I don't know it just felt right." He said seriously.
"Umm okay. Here comes the bus." She said awkwardly.
They got on the bus and found Crow in the back. So they sat in the seat in front of her.
"Hey, Crow. What's up?" Alex said innocently.
"Not much, how are... Hello David." She snarled the last bit.
"Good, thanks for asking and you?" He said as if what she said before didn't sound hostel.
"Fine, but it's not like you care." She whispered.
"Umm not to be rude or anything, but what happened between you two?" She said cautiously as if she were stepping on egg shells.
"We were best friends when David started coming to Rigeton. Then he left me alone and by myself to sit with his sister. His mom didn't even have to pay me like his "friends". Then I just started to sit with the misfits that I call my friends." She exclaimed in rage.
"Yeah let's go with that." David said trying not to go even further back to when he and Crow were friends.

When they got to school David lead Alex inside and to the office.
"Ms.Barrage" David yelled over the clatter of the office.
"Yes dear, what could I help you with?"
"Well Alex did not get to finish the tour of the school. So I was wondering if she could finish where I left off."
"Sure, just make sure everything is covered David." She said sweetly.
"Yes ma'am." He said in a military fashion.

As soon as they were far enough away from the office they quit the act they were playing and started to talk about Friday.
"So this Wildfire place, is it any good?" She asked quietly so no one would hear them.
"Never been, so you can be my lab rat. Why is there another place you would rather go?" He whispered.
"No no, that's fine. So is this just a date or a date date? I mean like friends or going out."
"Why, who's asking, you or are gossips asking you?" He said defensively.
"Me, I haven't even told my aunt yet. Jeez, you don't need to freak out. I would like an answer still." She said in a motherly tone.
"I don't know I would like it to be a date date, but it's up to you." He said innocently.
"Umm well I don't know let's see how the night plays out. I mean if that's okay with you."
"Yeah, sure. I mean that's cool." He said trailing off at the end.

The rest of the day was kind of awkward. They walked around the school for the second time in silence except for the telepathic conversations only they heard. It was wonderful being able to talk to someone and not have to say a word. She thought that if it were any other immortal then David then she would be dissected, an outcast, unwanted. She was glad that she had a friend like David.

When Alex got home she found her aunt on the couch. She was probably watching tv and fell asleep. She had to wake up her aunt.
"Aunt Jane, wake up." She said as she poked her aunt.
"What do you want." She mumbled.
"Can I go out with a friend to night?"
"Who's the friend?" she said not so tired any more.
"David Malice." She said as she prepared for a no.
"Sure, just be back by ten, okay?" She said in a motherly tone.
"Yes auntie. I'm gonna go get ready."
"Where are you two going to night?"
"Out for dinner at a fancy restaurant, I guess. He told me it had a dress code so you know." she mumbled the last part.
"All right. I probably wont be up when you get back so good night." her aunt said as she lumbered up the steps.

Alex followed a few minutes later. She put the long blue dress on first so when she did her hair and make up it wasn't ruined. Next she did her hair. A neat bun on the top of her head and held up by numerous bobby pins and a blue elastic band. Her make up was done perfectly. Red lipstick, a smokey gray eye shadow, black mascara and a light blush. Last and not least, her mothers gold hoop earrings and her sapphire necklace. she got one last look of herself and then heard her phone buzz. It was David.
"Hey David. I'm almost ready. see you in five?"
"Yeah, look out your window."
When she did she saw David with flowers in his hands and a limo behind him.
"I'm coming just let me put my shoes on." She yelled out the window.

She slipped her shoes on and walked carefully down the stairs. Then she grabbed her purse and fifty dollars and opened the door. Standing there with flowers in his hands was David. He was wearing a nice suit and tie. His normal messy hair was combed neatly and was clean. He was so handsome. She thought that any ways but he looked more mature when he cleaned himself up.
"Hi David. You look very nice. Umm it'll be a minute so just wait in the limo."
"I was wondering if I could come in for a minute and meet your aunt." He said sweetly.
"She's asleep, but your welcome to come inside for a moment. I just have to grab a few things. So just sit on the couch." She smiled.
"By the way we have to drop my sister off at a friends so we may need these." He held up two tiny bottles about the size of eye drop bottles. At first she didn't know what it was then she realized that they were bottles of alcohol.
"No we don't need them, so give them to me." She said a little angry.
"Fine, but I would hide them so your aunt doesn't find them." He said slyly.
"Do you really think I want to keep them." She said as she flung them into the garbage.
"Okay, you ready to go?" He said as if nothing happened.
"Ready as I'll ever be." She muttered "Okay let's go. Oh my god, you reek. You didn't."
"I had a sip." Alex glared at David. "What!? You would understand if you lived with my sister." He said calmly.
"Okay well your sister is probably freaking out right now, so let's go."
"Hold on, one more thing." As Alex turned David gently pushed her up against the wall and pressed his lips against hers. It was warm and soft, just a peck. A split second later he was two feet away. Smiling as if he had just won the lottery. He wiped his lips and held his hand out for Alex and said "You look beautiful tonight."

Alex and David walked down the gravel pathway down to the driveway. Samantha was standing in front of the limo taping her foot.
"Took you two long enough. Now David who is the girl you are taking out?"
"It's me." Alex said quietly.
"Your taking her! Ha that's so funny. Maybe you should go pick up your real date. Let's be honest Alex. That dress looks hideous on you." She snarled.
"Good cause it wasn't supposed to impress you." She snarled back as she pushed Samantha away and got into the limo.
"David are just gonna stand there and let her push me around?! Your my brother and she's the new girl!" She screamed.
"No I'm not gonna just stand here, I'm getting in the limo and you are too. Now let's go." He said calmly.
"Whatever David. You're a jerk!" She said with ferocious rage.
"Get in the car!" He said not so calm anymore.

Once everyone was in the car it was completely silent except for the rude comments from Samantha. It was pretty obnoxious the way Samantha was acting. If it was up to Alex, Sam would never have been in the limo period. It was awful to have to be in the same space with someone as rude and mean as Sam was. Pretty soon the limo slowed to a stop and they were dropping Sam off at her friends. Alex was relieved that she didn't have to deal with Sam for the rest of the night.
"So what's up with you and your little sister? I mean she was just so rude."
"She's trying to get back at me for leaving her alone in a school for five years. I wasn't there when she was picked on so she is taking revenge sort of. I don't get why she does this but she does it. It's kind of odd." He said softly.
"No, I totally get it. She's mad at you because you were never there for her when she needed you most. Now you need her so she's pushing you away like she thinks you did to her. If that happened to me I think I would be doing the same." She said sympathetically.
"Hey, we're here. Hope you're hungry."
"You know it." She said loudly.

As they entered the restaurant they were greeted by a young woman at a desk.
"Hello, do you have a reservation?" She said in fake tone.
"Yes it's under Malice." He said as if he practice saying it a million times in front of the mirror.
"Yes yes, here it is. Come this way please." She said in her fake tone.
"Could we have a seat by a window please?" Asked David. Alex was taking in the scenery. The white linens, open windows blowing a slight breeze in, large chandeliers hanging from the ceiling like crystals hanging from cave ceilings, gorgeous women in beautiful dresses, men in suits, a live orchestra playing in the corner. It was like a place famous people would eat. And there was Wes Denning in the middle of the dining room. He was her favorite comedian in Australia.
"Well here you are. Here are the menus and your waiter will be here once you put your menus up." She said in the most fake voice in the history of the world.
"Thank you very much." David said politely.

They sat there in silence looking at the menu. One peering up for their menu giggling when one caught the others eye. When they finally put up their menus David stared at Alex and she started to laugh.
"What!?" She while laughing.
"Oh nothing, you just look so beautiful to night Alex. I can't believe no one has ever told you that. Well I get to be the one to tell."
"That gives you one point. And at the end of the night you will get a prize for the total of your points."
"Hmmm I like this game." He said slyly.
"It could be a lolly pop, could be a certain dog I let live in my house." She said jokingly.
"I'm not so sure if I want to play this game if your dog is in it." He said jokingly. As he finished the waiter walked up to them.

"Bonjour, I will be your waiter tonight. What would you and the young lady like to night." He said in a very regal manner.
"Yes my girlfriend will have the baby chicken with roast pumpkin, bacon and gruyere purée, roast chicken jus. I will have the lamb shoulder with the baby heirloom carrots and mint sauce." He just said girlfriend and Alex was so happy that she couldn't say anything.
"And the drinks sir?"
"One bottle of your finest champagne please." He said as if he were an adult.

The waiter left and Alex sat there with her jaw dropped. David started to laugh.
"What is it? You didn't know the drinking age was eighteen did you?"
"You... You drink? And you called me your girlfriend... and and." She exclaimed.
"Well he already thought that you were my girlfriend so it was just easier to say that. And I have only drank twice so don't get your nickers in a twist. Do you forgive me?"
"I guess I have to seeing as your paying for everything." She laughed.
"You do realize that I love you right. I mean I don't think I have ever loved anyone as much as I love you. You're the one for me." He said softly never looking away from Alex's eyes.
"But it has only been a week. How? I'm a freak, you heard your sister." She said confused.
"Why do you try to drive everyone away? When someone says something nice to you, you try to make them take it back, or you push them away. Why?"
"Because when I was four my dad completely walked out on my mother. The day before he told me I was a smart beautiful little girl and when he left I tried to pull him back inside. He took everything back, he said I was dumb and ugly, that I should go cry to my witch of a mother. He left because he found out what my mother was, what I was. Well half of what I am." She said painfully.
"Oh my god. Are you serious?!"
"Look at how beautiful the stars are to night. Oh and here comes our food. Goody."
The waiter stopped at their table and slides their food onto the square table. Alex heard a loud pop and she realized it was the champagne. The waiter left and David and Alex were left alone at the table.
"Hey babe, this food scores you ten points." She laughed.
"Well in that case, I love you."
Alex took a bite of her pumpkin and was immersed in delight. The flavor was mouth watering. Then she had a bite of the chicken that she dipped into the purée. Again she was delighted by the flavors. She was loving every bite.
"The flavor of the food gives you another five points. You are so close to being able to get one of the small prizes."
"What are the small prizes?" he asked suggestively.
"They're a surprise." She said flirtatiously.
"How's your chicken?" He asked even though he already knew the answer.
"Oh my god, it's the best. It's is so watery and flavorful it's not even funny. You can taste the red pepper and the caramelized onions. The pumpkin is so sweet it should be a desert. Speaking of desert, I don't think I can eat another bite so if you want we can skip it."
"Okay, well I have a surprise for you. We are going to the opera to see a Romeo and Juliet."
"I love operas, how did you know? This gets you another thirty points. So you got forty-six points!"
"I didn't know you liked opera. I thought it would be better than the movies since we are wearing formal clothes."

Soon the waiter dropped off their bill and asked if they wanted desert. Once the bill was paid they went to the opera show. Romeo and Juliet was one of Alex's favorites. She watched the movie over and over again, so much that she could recite half the movie. Now she was going to see a live opera of Romeo and Juliet. She had been to operas before but not Romeo and Juliet. When she entered her breath was taken away. She had been in a opera house, just not one this big and fancy. It was as if she jumped into a movie. Red velvet and gold was every where. The seats in their balcony were like the ones you would imagine a king or queen sitting in. They were colossal. Alex's was the seat most comfortable seat she had ever sat in. She was so impressed that no words could describe it.
"Forty more points. You now have eighty-six points, you need one hundred to get a medium prize." She said with amazement in her voice.
"Okay, remind me when I hit the jack pot!" He said laughing.
"Naa, I think I will let you figure out when we get there." She said laughing.
"The music is starting and the curtains are rising. Let's go sit." He said like he was interested in opera.

The opera was a twist on the old school and new school versions of Romeo and Juliet. Alex was enthralled by the opera, it was amazing to her and she wanted to watch it again and again. She knew David deserved twenty more points and that would put him at one hundred and six. She was so tired that she knew she was going to fall asleep in the limo. It was ten and she knew she was going to be late for curfew and if her aunt found out she was going to be in huge trouble. If you think her uncle would be worse than her aunt, seeing as he is in the military, you are dead wrong. She grew up with four brothers in the military along with her father. She was lenient, but when you treated her leniency like a rubber band, punishment was a nightmare.
"Come with me Alex. I have a surprise for you. You may know him from super hero movies." He said all excited
"What are we doing and I love super hero mov... Oh my god it's Hugh Jackmon! Oh my god I love every part you play in all the movies you're in!" She said freaking out with excitement.
"Alex meet my uncle, Hugh. You may know him as Wolverine. What's uncle Hugh. Gramma is doing fine if your wondering. I saw her yesterday and she said that she was so excited that you were coming down to your home town."
"Well David I see you have a great girl and I saw mom earlier. Did you really think I would forget about mom? Well hello young lady I am Hugh and I would appreciate if you didn't call me Mr.Jackman cause that's my dad, so call me Hugh. I hear you are a big fan." He said as if he had known Alex all his life.
"Well Hugh I am. I love all the movies you direct and are in. Do you like opera?" She asked as if she were talking to a friend.
"Of coarse I love it, and Romeo and Juliet is a great opera to see. I have seen so many different versions of Romeo and Juliet that I don't remember which one is the original." He bellowed a laugh. "Okay David I told mum I would be back by midnight. I'll catch you two later okay. It was nice meeting you Alex."
"Tell your wife and the little ones I said hello." He added before Hugh walked out the doors.
"Will do Dave." He added and walked out the doors where paparazzi waited.

David used the back door when they exited, for he did not want to be around the flashing lights of the cameras. He knew his uncleHugh loved them, even if he never said it. He knew that Alex wouldn't want the attention that paparazzi gave people and he didn't want it either. It was a good thing he told the limo driver to park outback or he and Alex would be drenched in rain.
"So how did you get Hugh Jackman to come to Sydney!? And how did you know that I love operas!?"She said with the most excited tone anyone could ever have.
"Well Hugh is family so he comes down when someone in the family asks him to. He often comes down anyways. Next time he is bringing the wife and kids." He said as if this was just everyday family stuff. "And the opera, well i wasn't sure if you liked it or not sooo."
" the total of our night so far is two hundred points. The Hugh Jackman part boosted this whole night a lot."
"Well I'm glad you had a great time. By the way do you know what time it is?"He said genuinely.
"Yeah, it's time for you to get a watch, also it's eleven twenty. Dude I am so late, and tired." She yawned the last part.
"Well you'll be home in ten so you can take a really short nap." He whispered.

Soon Alex was asleep, but just as she closed her eyes she was woken up again by the sounds of sirens. They were at her house! Alex already knew what happened. Her aunt had a seizure in her sleep and pulled the alarm next to her bed. As they pulled up to her house she jumped out of the car and ran to her house. Tears streamed down her eyes as she imagined what it was alike for this to happen while she was alone. She started to regret leaving her aunt alone knowing any moment she could have a seizure. She felt guilt up to her ears. She reached the house and saw that it wasn't that her aunt had a seizure, the house caught fire! Soon she saw a group of firemen bring out something on a bed with a white sheet over it. She knew then that her aunt died in the fire. She got to her knees and started wailing on the ground. Pulling out roots of grass, the wild flowers, throwing rocks in directions no one was sure of. She looked up and saw that the house was burned on the side of the house the kitchen was, where her aunts room was. Down on the ground screaming while tears over flowed in her eyes, streaming down when they had a chance. She couldn't understand why everyone around her was dying. Was she cursed? Was she a freak of nature? Or was she just unlucky? She could now smells the smoke and a tinge of charred flesh. The smell was putrid and the more she thought about it the more she could smell it. The firemen in their bright yellow suits just walked past her as if she were invisible. The sirens wailed their sounds of pain and neighbors just stood there in shock. No one helped the poor girl that was sitting in the grass breathing heavy, crying, shaking and bleeding from shattered glass. Tears stung her eyes gushing out like the blood on her legs. Soon a cop noticed her.
"Get behind the police line!" He yelled over the sirens.
"This is my house and that was my aunt." She whispered a hollow whisper.
"My dear girl I am so sorry for your loss. Do you have any friends that you could go to?" That's when David rushed over.
"Alex are you okay? Where's your aunt?" He said looking up seeing the side of the house that was burned. He knew that side was her aunts' room. "Oh my god Alex, I'm so sorry." He said gravely.
"Who are you?" The cop boomed.
"I'm her boyfriend." He defensively.
"Well she needs to go some where. She can come back tomorrow to get the things that aren't burned or covered in ash."
"Will do sir. I will get her somewhere safe."
"Good, now go." He yelled over more fire trucks.

David lifted Alex into his arms and carried her to the limo. He noticed all her scratches and cuts and quickly cleaned them out. Still shaking Alex whispered "Never leave me". David held Alex to his chest and kissed her head and promised that he never would. Alex quietly sobbed into David's warm chest and heard a muffled voice. David was calling his mom.
"Hey mom Alex's house just burnt down and she needs a place to stay.................. She's a little cut up and she's in shock. She's barley talking................ Yes ma'am. Mom could you get here some clothes to sleep in............. She's about your size. Thank you mom, I'll see you in a few........ Love you too, bye."

David carried Alex into the house and he could feel everything she was feeling, sadness; pain; anger; confusion. His mother rushed him into the house. She took Alex to the bathroom and drew water into the tub. She cleaned the cuts on Alex's legs and the dirt on her hands. David's mom was tall and thin, she didn't even seem like someone who would be a mother. But once she saw Alex it was like something in her mind took over. Her red hair seemed to get even redder and her green eyes more electrifying with every ounce of worry that she gained. She had to be in the medical field, cause she definitely knew what she was doing, either that or David was one to get hurt all the time. Alex opened her mouth but nothing came out, but instead David's mother spoke.
"Well dear you just have a few scrapes is all." She smiled a warm smile. "Obviously I'm David's mom, you can call me Diana or Ms.Malice, whichever one you are more comfortable with. I am so sorry about what happened and I just want you to know that you can stay here as long you want. We have a few guest rooms you can choose from so after your bath you can choose one." She said as if it were normal to have that many guest rooms.
"Thank you." Alex said feebly. "But that may mean I'll be here for a few months. My uncle is in Iraq right now." She said in a whisper.
"Well that's okay. The water is all ready if you want to hop in. Here are your clothes and a towel, if you need anything just call." She said sweetly.
"Mrs.Malice are you in the medical field?" She said a little oddly.
"Yes, I'm a brain surgeon, why do you ask?" She said proudly.
"Well when you cleaned my cuts it seemed like you knew what you were doing so I figured that you were in the medical field or David hurt himself a lot when he was little." She kind of laughed.
"Both actually. You take your bath now okay sweet heart." She laughed.

Alex hopped into the tub and sat there for a minute smelling the sweet scent of the soapy water. Her muscles relaxed and she closed her eyes trying to forget what had just happened. The foamy bubbles tickled her nose and the warm water felt nice against her skin. She started to get wrinkles on her hands. She dried off and got dressed. There was a pair of the softest sweat pants she had ever felt, a t-shirt with the Dr.Pepper logo and a pink sweat shirt. She slipped them on and surprisingly they fit. She walked out of the steamy bathroom and just let her feet take her wherever they took her. She stopped at a door covered in "keep out" stickers of yellow and red, band stickers, posters of skaters and things that were unidentifiable. She knew that this had to be David's room. Next thing Alex knew, she was knocking on the door.
"Yeah, come in." A loud muffled voice called.
"Hey David it's me." She said quietly as she tip toed into the room. She saw posters of girls and gaming stuff, skate boards and surf boards hung on the walls, clothes all over the floor,cups and plates everywhere. She was a little freaked out. Growing up with a clean freak mother made her into a neat and clean person. She stepped carefully over the things on the floor so she could have carpet under her feet and not miscellaneous things under them instead. She was appalled and shocked at the same time.
"Hey, sorry about the mess. Are you feeling any better?" Oh great he just reminded her. As if on queue tears burst from her eyes. She covered her face but David had already seen what mistake he just made.
"I did." She said as she gently sat onto his bed.
"Oh my god, I'm so sorry, I didn't know. Come here, it'll be okay." He said as if he were trying to quiet a child.
"David, it's all my fault. I shouldn't have left her alone, especially how she had seizures. I practically just killed my aunt. Why does everyone I love die! Am I cursed or something?!" She screamed as she cried.
"I swear I will keep you safe okay, and it's not your fault. You couldn't do anything about it, and if you had stayed you could have died as well." He said while lifting up her chin so he could look into her eyes. She finally stopped crying but it was because she ran out of tears. "You're not cursed, you're blessed." he said quietly.
"How?" She said still sniffling.
"You are a great artist, when you were singing in the car it was beautiful, you see the best in people, you are trusting and you have powers as well as getting to live forever." He whispered the last two reasons.
"Yeah well I think the last two are curses, I would switch places with you any day." She said as she flopped backwards onto a pillow, then David followed and turned towards Alex.
"Why are they curses? I mean they can be an advantage to some extent. You're perfect and don't let any one tell you differently." He said quietly while playing with her hair. It was soft and light in his hands. Alex giggled and layer on her side looking back at David.
"Why do you have to be so darn cute?! Oh my god, you can make anyone feel better. You know your such a push over. But that's why I love you." She said as she scooted closer to him and laid her head right on his arm. David took hi other arm and wrapped it around Alex's slender body. To feel every breath she took was comforting. The smell of her hair was of raspberries and lime. Before he knew it she was getting up.
"Where are you going?"
"To find your mom. She needs to show me where my room is." She said flirtatiously.
"Well then, you know where to find me." He winked at her.
"Kay see you in the morning." She said as she closed the door.

Alex walked through the halls looking everywhere for Ms.Malice. She called for her many times and a few minutes she found her.
"Ms.Malice could you show me where the rooms are?"
"Yes dear, of coarse, follow me." She lead Alex down the hall where she found David's room. She opened a door next to David's.
"Okay well here is the first one." It was very rustic and beautiful. It reminded her of her room in America. The walls were a very light yellow, the head boards on the bed were made out of old wood doors, the bedding was a light peach color, there was a canopy made out of white silk, white paper lanterns hung from the ceiling and there was furniture everywhere.
"It's so beautiful."
"Wait till you see the closet. It's a walk in." She opened an old wood door and there she found shelves, racks and a floor to ceiling mirror. She walked around the room and found a full bathroom. Without question she said
"I would like to have this one for the time being."
"Are you sure, there's two more to look at." She said kind of confused.
"I'm sure. This is literally my dream room." She said in aw.
"Okay then. You get some sleep now."
"Thank you very much ma'am and good night." She yawned.
"Good night dear." You could hear the smile in her voice.

Alex laid her head on head on the pillow and before she knew it she was asleep. Everything was dark and the she hear Help me Alexandria help me and your mother. Why let us die? Don't you love us? Then she was reliving how her mother died and how her aunt died. Then she woke up. It was bright out and she smelled pancakes. She rushed down stairs and saw food being put on the table.
"Alex, honey, I was just coming to get you. How did you sleep?" Davids mom said.
"Fine, thank you." She lied. "Did you make this feast, it's huge." She said amazed.
"Yes, cooking is one of my hobbies. Could you get David for me sweetie." She smiled.
"Yeah, we'll be right down." She said as she rushed upstairs, not wanting to miss any of the breakfast.

She knocked on David's door and heard a slight groan. Yet she knew that it wasn't an answer but still she opened the door a crack.
"David, it's time to wake up. There's pancakes and other food downstairs." As soon as she said the word "food" he hopped up and ran downstairs.
"I'm coming." He yelled down the stairs.
"Boys and food." Alex muttered under her breath. She walked slowly into her room and grabbed the slippers beneath her bed. Then she scrambled down stairs. The smell of food taunted her senses. It was weird how you could be so sad, yet you are hungrier then usual. It was as if she were levitating towards the food. Her stomach growled but her mind said that she didn't need it. Her head was in a different place then the rest of her. She kept switching back and forth from her aunt to her mother. she was being haunted by the memories of them.

As she went into the dining room, she saw David and his mother waiting for her to come down and eat. She smiled at the thought of people eating with their family. She was going to get to almost do that, almost. She saw a feast before her when she sat. Heaps of pancakes and waffles that had blueberries, strawberries, bananas, raspberries, peaches, apples, chocolate chips, all baked into them and heaped on top. There was piles of bacon, ham, omelets, fruits, eggs (hard boiled, over easy, sunny side up and more), potatoes and finally, hash browns. She took one bite and wasn't sure if she were dreaming or had died. She ate a pancake the size of a steering wheel, two pieces of bacon, a large portion of potatoes, and some scrambled eggs. David stared at her as if she just lifted a eighteen wheeler off the ground and above her head.
"What, never seen a hungry girl eat?" Alex said with a mouth full of pancakes.
"Not as much as you just ate. You've eaten more food than me!" He said shocked
"Ms.Malice, what do you do with the left overs?" She asked as she gulped her orange juice.
"Well there's a homeless shelter down the street, so I bring the left overs down to them." She said proudly. "David came up with the idea when he was younger." David looked up and smiled, his teeth were covered in melted chocolate. You could tell he was trying to gross Alex out. All she did was laugh. Ms.Malice just shook her head and laughed under her breath.
"So Ms.Malice, how will I be getting to my house?" She started to trail off at the end.
"Well David said he was taking you, so I guess David is driving you there." She said quietly. "So once you're ready he'll take you."
"Okay, well I will be upstairs if you need me." She said quietly.

She walked slowly upstairs to her room and opened the door. On her dresser there was a note.

Alex,
I thought you could use some clothes. Undergarments are in the two small drawers on top, shirts are the one below, pants under that, pajamas under that then belts and scarves. I hope you like them, they're a little to small for me now (the undergarments are new).
Sincerely yours
Diana Malice

Her writing was like unconnected cursive. Beautiful curls and loops all through the note. She grabbed the robe on the dresser and went into the bathroom. She took a shower and relieved all the stress in her shoulders, spine and neck. hoping that her day would be better she got out of the shower and got dressed. She wore a pink t-shirt that said "The wave is only half the fun, surfs up bro." It had a little surfer riding on a wave behind him. She slipped on bell bottom jeans and walked down stairs. David was already waiting at the bottom of the steps for her.
"You ready?" He said as if she were going to go to the doctors for major surgery.
"Yeah, I want my stuff back." She said bitterly.
"Okay lets go then. The car's down stairs." He lead Alex down a spiraling stair case that was creaking every step. Once she got to the bottom she saw four cars. One was a cherry red convertible, the second was a kick bus, the third was and old truck and the last was a 1968 beetle. She was in love with the orange rust color of it. the seats inside were white leather and it had a brand new radio. "Which one will we need?" David asked breaking the silence.
"Ummm, the truck. Just in case if there's big stuff." They hopped into the green truck and were off. About five minutes later they were at what was left of Alex's house. She slowly opened the door to the house, like in horror movies where the girl hears a noise from an unknown room and slowly opens the door. David was in shock from all the black and the ash. Alex walked up the steps to the upstairs and found her room wasn't even touched. Her bed, her curtains, dresser, they were all untouched with the exception of a little ash. All of a sudden she heard a thud. She looked over to the corner of her room a saw a shaking dog, it was killer. She slowly walked over to him and held her hand out.
"Killer it's okay, come here."
"I... I tried to wake her up but she didn't even blink or open an eye. I... I just left her there." Killer stuttered.
"It's okay, it's not your fault."
"Yes it is. There was this man outside and he... he was an animal at first and then he lit the house on fire." Alex looked at him as if she had seen a ghost.