The Apocalypse | Teen Ink

The Apocalypse

December 8, 2014
By Patricia Juarez, Stockton, California
More by this author
Patricia Juarez, Stockton, California
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

What inspired me to write this a show on the CW called The 100. I really liked the idea and made my own based on that one. 

 
Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace
 
Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]
 
Return
 
 
capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\
 
shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift
 
 
English
 
 
alt
alt
 
 
Preferences

*BANG, BANG* Open up the door, time for inspection!
“Move” said the largest and human guard.
“Where’s your mother and sister?” he said again. His name was commander John and he was one of the few human guards left here on the ship.
‘She’s working in the kitchen with my sister making food for the privileged”,  I said. That’s what we had to call the rich people.
“Alright”, he said, and he stopped talking he glanced at the guards with a crooked smile showing his fake white teeth most the rich had. He was going to say something and I was waiting for it as so were the other guards.
“Make sure you tell your mother to drop by my room to come pick up her underwear she left last week” as he said that all I knew was that I ran to him and felt my knuckles mash against his teeth and felt the splitting of his cheekbone and even managed to hear the cracking of his nose. As, I felt that I got up and next thing I felt was an electric teaser on the lining of my spine and knew at that very moment I was getting sent to the Dock.

A few years ago (3 years to be exact) is when our mother earth became non-survivable. Partly because of the nuclear warfare that had been going on between the world. World war III had been taken place and because of that situation every country was building nuclear bombs to see who’s could be most explosive and who’s was worst.  But, the really sad thing about this apocalypse was that all the nations knew it’d happened and just made it happen early because of their technology and already had made the space craft's for a certain amount of people they wanted to take up into space with them. They actually had already pre-picked the people they wanted to live and left behind the people they wanted to die.  The President of the United States knew of the growing obsession of the people with technology and didn’t care. In fact he was the one who ordered that newer and newer technology be made every year for his people, leading to the end of half the human race.

Because of the Apocalypse down in earth, the people that knew they were selected to go up in space brought as much technology as they could with them. But because of some much of their time being spent on their precious devices society as we knew it kept getting fatter and fatter making the whole world became obese. I mean now it was normal or the thing to be 230 or higher in weight. I remember the day the Apocalypse exactly tool place. My birthday December 31, 2014. The day I was turning sixteen and my father gave me his 2001 Toyota Corolla.  I was so excited to start driving and show off to my boys back at school. This day was going perfect until all of the sudden all over the news, newscasters kept posting videos and live broadcastings of the sky. It was like gray and opening as if Jesus was coming for the return of his people. It started to rain heavily and tsunamis were happening everywhere, the biggest volcanoes were erupting with lava everywhere and the world as we knew it, was falling apart in front of our own eyes. But, the only reason half of us reminding human race survived because the government knew what was coming and prepared ages ago. They already had spacecraft set up in space and pre-selected who was upon the fortunate to continue living. They selected upon the richest and the poorest to be servants and most educated so if anything went wrong they knew what to do. But, the main reason why the apocalypse happened so early was because of the technology people became so obsessed with. Everyone, everywhere wanted the newest Iphone. or iPod or play stations and all this junk. Then, one day the towers that provide all the energy and reception for all the energy we use just exploded and chaos started from there on out with the additional reasons from World War III.

”Javier Martinez come up" said the machine.
So I walked up and saw tons up people here with hand cuffs, waiting to go in to the room to see           what my punishment was for assaulting a officer.
"Are you Javier Martinez?" said the  officer in charge of making sure all the prisoners were there.
"Yes, I'm him sir." I said, and as I was waiting I was thinking what it if my punishment was death, or if I just would never be one of the fortunate's who left the space ship.
"Javier please come up to the podium" the judge said. So I went up to the podium and there before my eyes I was actually trembling and scared that I'd be sentenced to death and never again see my family.  As the judge was looking at me in my eyes I wondered what he was thinking. If he felt bad for a poor kid like me, or just didn't even care what they did to me. Alas, he spoke. "Javier, you are sentenced to death tomorrow morning, and will be left in space for the reminder of your last breaths" and he hit gavel. At that moment  I heard my mother's scream and heard nothing but the crying  of a women who knew tomorrow would be the last day she'd ever see her only son again.  I myself was shocked but was prepared. I'd be reunited with my father.
"Court dismissed" said the judge and the officers took me back to my prisoners cage.

That night I was solely reminiscing on the memories I had created with both my parents and my best friends Jake and Pedro. I haven't seen them since we came up into space and  I think that's because they were one of the few that families were left on earth. I also remembered the girl I deeply admired and loved. Her name Rose Amber. She was beautiful with big lips and long thick dark hair. I remember we'd call her horse hair because she had hair as thick as a horse. She was so stunning and I always wanted to ask her on a date but you know then the world ended and so did she. As, she was fading from me, I started to think of my mom. And how she must've felt about all this, and boy was that woman a crier. She was a sensitive person ;dad, not so much.  I could only imagine how it'd feel tomorrow when I got shipped into space after my beatings. How grateful I'd feel for that breath of air. I began to tear up and kind of felt like a pu**y. I knew a sixteen year old like me shouldn't be crying but it felt good to have led out such a good life with a good family. Tomorrow was going to be my final day of being in bondage and I would become a free person again.

"Honey, wake up we need to get ready to serve breakfast to the upper classes, come on sweetie let's go before were late again." said mom. So I woke up thinking it'd be just another ordinary day. But, nah I surely was in for a suprise.  When we went for our early morning shift  I saw him there, the motherf*er that got my dad left on earth during the whole Apocalypse. His name was Joseph Anderson. I remember just looking at him giving the mean mug. Oh I wanted to beat his ass so bad and make him feel what he put me and my family through. I felt like I was looking through his soul. That's how deep my stare was. But, what really pissed me off was when he approached me and said "Aye, Martinez put some sausages and drizzle a little syrup on my pancakes" Joseph said. And at that exact moment I wanted to slap him so hard but knew I couldn't because then I get zapped by the robot guards with their electric stick.  So, I just simply put what he asked for on his plate. And, as I did I made sure to give him the most burnt  and ugly looking sausage and put so much syrup it looked like a little pool. At that moment I felt like I stood up to him, but then he yelled. All I remember seeing was the syrup split all over his shirt and  knew at that moment he split it all over himself on purpose. I was so astonished and angry  I wanted to kick his ass, but knew if I touched a little hair on his head I'd be the one getting my ass beat. After, I just mean mugged him the guards simply put me on punishment for the rest of the day and threw me in the cage (or my cell).

Joseph's parents were like the inventors of the Apple company and were wealthy beyond belief. He always got what he wanted and was a only child. His parent's company was partly to blame for the early apocalypse arrival down in earth. Because of his parents such awesome achievement of inventing the Apple products people became instantly hooked and obsessed with them. I mean all day everyday humanity was slipping, children getting fatter along with their idiot parents. Like, honestly people and adults stopped spending time with their families, children got huge because all their time went straight to their devices. I never seen a generation so stupid as to the one I was living in. As a result, from all this because of people spending too much time on their Ipads, and all these new social medias they took up too much energy for too much of the time. That eventually, the energy tower that was allowing u to have this internet and power gave up and literally exploded starting the beginning of the catastrophic events that took place. I even remember my father and how much he hated these products. He never allowed my mother, sister or me to touch one of those devices because he believed they would put you  in a trance and make you become obsessed with it. What I seem to remember most was the time when my dad gave me the biggest lecture when I simply asked for a IPod mp3 player  for Christmas. It started early that morning I was about nine years old and the IPod generation three had barley came out. With the new camera ,and the best speakers you'd ever see a little tiny device as that have. I was so infatuated with this little device, however, I knew from the start it'd be tricky to try and convince dad to buy me one. So I grew the balls and waited for my dad to come downstairs for breakfast and had his favorite cereal already out for him."Hey dad how'd you sleep?" I asked."Fine, Javi what about you why all the cereal out? Que quieres ahora? " he said. Or in other words he said what do you want know? "Well, pa I really want a IPod. Before you say no remember pa most all kids at school have one and 'm one of the only kids who don't please dad." I begged. But the more I seemed to beg the more he got angry and he finally stood up and said. "Hijo no, you know how I feel towards these devices and how you'll become addicted like all the other kids. No, you're not getting one y ya no me preguntas." he said. After that I got all angry at my dad and I couldn't understand why he was so against the newer technology. It felt like he was trying to kill me with boredom or embarrass me because I was literally one of the only kids who didn't own a Apple device. So, I got real angry and I remember punching the wall in my room and making a huge hole right behind the door. I was so scared that my dad would see it and beat he'd crap out of me so I quickly started to fine something to cover it. But, as I was scurrying for some sort of little towel to put over it my father entered my room and it was too late. He had seen the hole in the wall and like lighting my dad turned me around and whooped me on my ass with his hard belt that felt like it had spikes on it. I had never felt  a beating like that in my life and knew that day something was different about my dad he wasn't going to tolerate my crap anymore, instead he hit me so I'd learn my lesson or something. After that day everything changed for the worst.

  Another thing, that started appearing as soon as we got up into space was that we started seeing fewer and fewer humans. Literally, human guards were becoming replaced with robot guards. The government started to do this because they believed robots were better at torturing the bad and human guards weren't capable anymore of it because they had their emotions and morals that didn't allow them to do some of the horrific things they did to the people that "deserved" it.  These robot men were huge  giants. I'd seen some six feet tall, red eyed, and almost human like voices that they had to them. They acted as if they were actual humans and you couldn't really tell they were robots until you heard them talk to you and saw their eyes. These robot  men were the government's latest advanced technology yet; people before had created them but the government didn't want the people knowing that. Also, these robot men had like spying cameras in them and always recorded what they saw you doing. They invaded your privacy so badly . I had even heard of some people getting spied on in their own bedrooms and even in the bathroom.

It was  a Monday and we were ready to go to class. It was me and all my usual friends. You know my clique, squad whatever you wanted to call them. It was my boys Jake Anderson, Pedro Suarez, Daniel Cortez, and Jr.  We were always together and always had each other's backs. Best of all we all had a common enemy Joseph. But, one of the downfalls of our group was that we weren't the richest kids around. In fact we were one of the poorest especially compared to that little b**** Joseph. He always thought he was so much better than us when in reality people only liked him because of his parent's money. People at our school ,Riverside High School, were such kiss asses when it came to Joseph, and they only did it because if they did what he wanted he'd reward them with the newest technology he could offer. See at first I was far more popular than Joseph but then  as his parent's got success through their latest breakthrough in technology people started to try and grow closer to him so that they could get the newest and best devices his parent's company products had. After that day it seemed as if all my old "friends" turned on me so they could get what they desired most. But, anyways as our day was beginning Mrs. Mallet was teaching class about Covalent bonds in chemistry and how they are atoms that share electrons pairs. This chemistry class was honestly the highlight of my day and I always felt smart in her class. As Mrs. Mallet was asking about what subscripts were I was sure I was quick to raise my hand but no she calls on Joseph. And as usual he got it right. But, after that class it when the bell rang and I walked out the door Joseph bumped into me and just snickered like it was funny or something. Out of anger and to show him I wasn't scared of him so I ran quick to him and punched him upside his jaw knocking him onto the floor. Next thing I hear is the sound so of my friends on the side. "Kick his ass Javi! Kick him and punch him like Mayweather did to Pacquiao!" they kept yelling.  But, as I was going in for the second punch Mrs. Mallet came out and saw all the blood on Joseph's face and quickly took me off of him. I felt like a won a battle against Joseph like I proved to him he couldn't mess with me.  Finally as I got up off of him he gave me a mug while he wiped the blood from his face and got up. "I'll get you where it hurts the most" he said. And at that moment  I knew he was going to get me sooner or later.
After that day everything was going pretty fine. Nothing much was happening and my friends and I were just always being us. But the most unimaginable thing happened a month after I got into that big fight with Joseph after chemistry class. I woke up to what I thought was going to be a normal day but then later escalated to the worst day of my life.
"Javi, come here and ring Jake I need your guys help with the car", dad said. So we went and there my dad laid underneath the car in his working jumper suit with a bunch of black smoke covering his entire face. "Dad, why you got s*** all over your face I said?" and Jake jumps in "Yeah, Mr. Martinez why you got s*** all over your face?" and we both busted out laughing. Dad looked at us and threw water and said "Alright, smart asses it from the car now get down here and help me "and so we did. And as we did dad was telling us all about the car and what went ere and how you put certain things and how to change oil correctly. And at that moment I knew my dad was actually pretty smart. I had never realized he actually knew about all this stuff. "Son pass me some more oil" dad said. So. I got up and looked for some oil. But I couldn't find some anywhere." Dad there's no more oil I think you used it all", I said. "You sure you looking right?" he said. "Because if I find it there I'm going to whoop your ass and Jake just for being there", he said, I kind of laughed but knew he was serious at the same time. He finally got up and looked for himself and saw it wasn't there so he looked all confused."Well, I guess I'm going to Wal-Mart to go buy some oil , I'll be back and don't touch anything." he said. So, as dad went on to Wal-Mart I waited with Jake talking about girls at Riverside. "So, Jake who do you thinks' cuter Melissa or Amber? " I said. "Well.. I don't know  they both got the body but Amber I think has more the face" he said. "Well douche remember I'm going to ask her on a date Friday so you better switch up your answer" I said. And we both started cracking up. But as we were all fun and jokes mom rushed into the garage all fluttered and tears running down her face. 'Javier your father he's been killed! The police found him behind the outside building of Wal-Mart!" she said. I was so shocked and frustrated all these rapid emotions were running through me and with Jake by my side when he found out everything too made it worse. I felt in some was embarrassed but I  didn't know why. I was so angry and yet confused I grabbed the car keys and ran to the car and quickly went into my dad's Chevy and drove off before my mom or Jake could even reach me. I knew at that moment I knew I  was burning tire from how hard and how fast I'd press on the brakes. The  tires started to feel like they were running out of air but I  didn't car all I wanted to do was see my dad for a last time. As, I was driving as fast I could passing of all what I could see was red was thinking of how my dad died, and who could of even thought of killing such a man like my father. Finally, for what felt like an eternity to get there I had seen all the caution tape wrapped around the outside off the Wal-Mart doors and a variety of cops and an ambulance surrounding the crime scene. I got out off my dad's truck and ran too see what was going on. "Whoa there kid you need to leave this is a private investigation no people allowed!" said the officer grabbing my shoulder with  quite some grip."But officer that's ,my dad we got the call an hour ago or so that someone had shot my dad he only came to buy oil, please let me see him one more time!" I said with my eyes so teary I just couldn't hold it in. "I'm sorry son but you can't see him." said the officer. But right when he said that I walked away as if I were leaving and wouldn't bother him anymore. As, I walked away for just a minute I caught a deep breath and stared sprinting toward the crime scene and passed the cop hopping the tape and saw what I believed to be my dad's body in a black bag. Around the body bag was a splattering of blood in large amounts.  In awe, I just stood there, and felt as if I were too late. Then so rapidly the same officer  came sprinting towards me with another officer from behind me and tazered   me in the mid section of my back. Randomly, I fell onto the floor and that was the last memory I had of my father when he died.  From here on out my whole life had completely changed.
As I was in my room that night, for which felt like centuries, I kept remembering on so many different memories. From joyful ones to the most painful ones that hit me all at once. As I laid there in the hardest and coldest bed I ever slept in my entire life I remember the day I found out who killed my father. Yet, I wasn't so shocked but I wanted to kill him. It all happened so rapidly I almost forgot how it even occurred. It was a Thursday afternoon and already the day had been bad from the start. I had to work restrooms that day in the ship and that meant clean toilets. As I was finishing my bathroom duty I had to next serve the rest of my day in the kitchen cooking and then serving for dinner to The Privileged. So, that meant I was getting no sleep that night. There, I was time felt like it passed and dinner has already arrived. I was serving dinner and here came up too me Joseph. As, I saw him I remember immediately feeling in the depths of my stomach a sort of disgusted, churning feeling and I wanted to puke at the sights of that little ass. When, he finally arrived to me to come get some of the loaf of bread I was serving he had the urge to speak to me. and of course since the commander guard was keeping his eyes on me I had to respond back to him unless I wanted to be severely punished. "Hey, there Martinez how's it feel serving the king?" he said. "Well, honestly I don't know yet because I hadn't got the chance to serve one yet, I've only been able to serve so far are dimwits. Just like you" I said back. "Well, someone feels confident to talk like that to me." he said.  I quickly got annoyed of hearing his voice so I simply started to just keep silence as I hadn't heard him. "Martinez I know you hear me" , he kept saying. "Well, are you going to speak or keep me waiting?" he said again. "Okay you've asked for it " he said. At that moment I didn't know what he was going to do but I just assumed he was just going to spill some food on his shirt or act like I yelled at him. So, I just stood there unafraid not knowing what was going to happen next. He suddenly socked himself in the face a good three times and even managed to stab a fork through the middle of his palm. At that moment in time, I knew Joseph truly despised me as I did to him. he yelled "Ahhhhh, guards arrest this crazy lunatic! Can't you see he has stabbed me and managed to give me a black eye under your supervision ! Mom and dad won't be so happy to hear about this!" he said. Out of my own truth I kept telling the guards he did it to himself, then eventually gave up when the guards didn't care if I stabbed him or not. All they cared about was keeping themselves alive and satisfying his parents so they wouldn't get floated. As, the guards came to take me and send me to the hole Joseph quickly rushed past me and said what I had been searching too find out for years while I was down on earth and here on the ship. "I took the liberty to take your father off this earth" he whispered in my ear. Then and there I couldn't handle what he said. The guards hadn't yet got my hands into the hand cuffs so I was able to escape and I took a quick swing at his little face. "You little piece of s*** you'll pay one day , watch if not from me from god!" I said with tears and angry  running through my body. From that memory I finally managed to go to sleep and get ready for what tomorrow was going to be my last day here on The ship.
"Boy, get up it's almost time for your take off into space" said the guard.
Behind him were at least four other guards and two of them were robots and I knew because I  had seen their eyes. "Ignt just let me get ready and leave this piece of s*** to at least lookig nice into space" I said back. And was the guard mad when I spoke back to him,  all of a sudden I felt a hand on my  back and an electric shock go through my back. I fell hard to the floor and blacked out for just a minute. Then as I was getting back up I felt my head and stomach start to ache and hurt so badly. Well no wonder because the guard had been giving quite a few kicks to those areas. As I finally got up I asked "So how many minutes do I get to say good-bye to my family  before they float me off?"  "None, you little -you don't get your family to say good-bye too, your just being sent straight and your family gets to see you while it all happens" he said.
"Well alright let's get this show on the road" I said.
And with that we walked down the long hallways of the ship until we reached the execution room where all including the president were waiting for me. I wasn't exactly prepared for any of it but didn't have much of a choice.

Before they were going to send me to my death I had a little quick flashback of my dad and I not too long ago. I remember it all so clearly and I in some sick way was ready to die. I really wanted to be with my dad again.
"Son, come here and give your dad a hand with the car" , dad said.
"Alright, dad what sup? You know I got a date with Jessica tonight and I really want tonight to be the night with her" , I said.                                                                                     "Son, you think you ready to get all up in Jessica's panties? This early Javier ay Niño debues de ser estupido!" dad said. He always spoke to me in Spanish when he was mad at  something I did or said. And well I said something rather dumb that day.
"But dad I'm ready for her and so is she we've been planning it and I really want my first time to be with her  I love her" I said. And you wouldn't guess what happened right after I said that.
" Your what pendejo?" AND BAM he slapped the s*** out me the night I was going to have sex with my girlfriend I thought I so truly loved.
"Dad you know bye", and I left that night and regretted what I had did Jessica. It felt so good and yet I could never forget how I disappointed him. I just wanted to see my dad again and tell him I'm sorry and I shouldn't have.

"Javier Martinez come up the dock" said the loud voice on the intercom. It was my day. As I was walking up the spacecraft at the edge of the dock where they'd open the big glass container and let me out I looked one last time at my beautiful mother and little sister Leti. I'd miss them so much but knew it was better that I left. Finally I walked up to the edge and they opened up the glass door  as I finally took my last breath I was ready for what was about to happen next. And boom I was gone into space ready to see my dad again.

 
Preferences
 
Preferences

 

 
Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace
 
Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]
 
Return
 
 
capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\
 
shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift
 
 
English
 
 
alt
alt
 
 
Preferences



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.