The Problems and Un-Problems of an Alien Non-Alien Life Form | Teen Ink

The Problems and Un-Problems of an Alien Non-Alien Life Form

By MMCiolino BRONZE, Farmington, New Hampshire
MMCiolino BRONZE, Farmington, New Hampshire

I'm just sleepy but this short story, though confusing at times, is wholesome.

It is well-known that a bus stop bench is the most uncomfortable type of seat in the entire universe. More uncomfortable than the Torture Throne of Rakeor XI. More uncomfortable than The Great Serpent Stool, which slithers away on Sssslasssstern. More uncomfortable than the chairs at the dining room table of your in-laws. Bus stop benches take the cake.

It is on one of these benches, in Brooklyn, New York, that Lana Reed’s unfortunate posterior found itself on.

Lana was average height and average build, with an average nose. She did have stunningly green eyes, which she had always considered her best feature. All in all, however, she was exceptionally unexceptional. She had worked as an accountant for six years, despite how devastatingly dull she knew it to be. The thing was, she often thought to herself, she was a devastatingly dull person who was only destined for devastatingly dull things.

She could not have been more wrong, because something that was devastatingly interesting was about to happen to her.

As Lana sat, she simply stared straight ahead, twirling her short, wavy, blonde hair, with simple thoughts going through her head. These thoughts were interrupted by a very loud noise that sounded like a lightning strike, a tuba, and exactly twelve cows decided to make as much noise as possible at the same time. This sound was accompanied by a very blue flash of light, which was also just a little bit yellow and very hot, but only for a second.

Lana was stunned. She had never felt her jaw drop so low. For a moment, she thought it had dropped low enough to touch her chest, which was practically convulsing due to her heart beating faster and more aggressively than a shopper on Black Friday, and it wasn’t about to slow down. Especially since, once the flash of light had subsided, there was a very large object left in its place. The object had a dome shape and a glossy purple finish. There was nothing to distinguish it or give any hint as to what it was. Lana figured the only reasonable course of action would be to knock.

Whatever made her think that something would answer she could not explain, but she listened to that whatever and slowly stood up. Then she walked toward the object, very timidly, and knocked.

At first, there was no answer. She waited a couple of moments, then knocked again. This time, something responded.

“Hold on just a bit, please!” Were the words uttered by the something that responded. It had a high, friendly voice.

“Oh. Take your time, I guess?” Lana responded without really thinking. She hadn’t a clue what she had stumbled upon, and didn’t want to think about what an appropriate response would be. If she had, she would have had to think for a very long time, and after thinking for a very long time she would have said something foolish like, “What are you?” Or, even more foolishly, “Who are you?”

Lana waited for what felt like an eternity before anything else of note happened. A lot of things that weren’t of note occurred, but those were not noted. Then, the purple dome became a purple cylinder, and in the purple cylinder formed a door that was far too small for an adult human to fit through. That was because the thing that went through the door was not human. It was short and had large, black eyes, a bulbous, bald head, and stubby arms and legs. The thing that stuck out to Lana the most, though, was the deep purple hue that the creature’s skin had.

At first, Lana hadn’t the faintest idea of what to do, so she simply stood. She stood and stared. As she did so, the creature stood in front of the purple dome, very smugly. It was as if it knew what was going through Lana’s head, that it had experienced that exact situation before. Once Lana got this feeling, she decided that she had to do, or say, or think something. Anything at all.

“What kind of ice cream do they have on Mars?”

The alien looked shocked. It clearly did not expect this response to its arrival. Neither did Lana, but she decided to roll with it.

"You are an alien, correct? You look exactly like the movies, except that you’re not green, and the movies don't show what kind of ice cream you guys have out there," she continued calmly.

Though the alien still looked surprised, it responded. "First of all, I am not from Mars, and frankly, I'm offended that you would think that. The Martians are an absolute train wreck, and I don't understand how you humans have yet to learn of their existence."

"I bet it's the government," Lana interrupted.

"What?"

"Never mind. Please continue."

With an odd look, the alien obliged. "Second of all, the fact that the inhabitants of this planet managed to figure out how my species looks without actually ever having contact with us astounds me. I've always assumed that it was just a simple intuition type thing."

"No, it's totally the government," Lana interrupted once more.

"I'm sorry, what?"

"Nothing, go on."

"Okay," The alien agreed with a second, odder look. "The last thing is the answer to your question. On my planet, we have exclusively vanilla ice cream."

"That is no way to live!" Lana exclaimed, much louder than she had anticipated, but upon thinking it over for another second she found her response to be adequate.

"I agree with you, but you mustn't tell the other members of my species. They'd probably sing to me," the alien said quietly.

"And that's a bad thing?" Lana asked with confusion in her voice.

"A very bad thing. My people are much worse at singing than your people."

"My lips are sealed, then."

There were a few seconds of silence between the two before the alien appeared to have made a horrible realization. "We have exchanged words for all of two minutes and you've found the only two ways in which your race is superior to my own! Who do you work for?! What is your game?!"

Again, Lana searched frantically for an acceptable response. She did not find one, because she had never been accused of working for someone. That was a very serious accusation, one that she had only witnessed in movies, like the alien, so she went back to simply standing and staring.

In the midst of all of this staring, a thought occurred to Lana. Where was the bus she had been waiting for originally? Then she remembered that she had a place to live, and a cat, and all sorts of other things that seemed really important before whatever just happened happened, seemed really unimportant as that thing was happening, and were desperately trying to become important again now that whatever happened became too inexplicable to deal with, and because it was too inexplicable to deal with, Lana decided not to deal with it and walked briskly away.

The alien didn’t react. It continued to stand in front of its ship with its arms crossed. It glanced at Lana briefly, then moved back through the small doorway. It had to get down to business.

---

Earth Date: June 7th, 2019

Sniffgipp Date: Apple 23

Earth is an extremely cool planet, with all of its greatness. It has trees and flowers and everything in between, as well as giant mountain ranges covered in vegetation and daring animals. Speaking of animals, there are hundreds of thousands of species of furry ones, scaly ones, and slimy ones. Unfortunately, there is also lots of hate and death, which is caused by the main ruling entity (or, more realistically, the race that thinks that they are the main ruling entity). On second thought, Earth kind of sucks. It is nothing compared to home.

---

Lana Reed sat quietly in her bedroom, reading a book. It was one of her favorites, and she always read it when she was feeling lost.

Needless to say, she read it a lot.

It was the story of a woman who disappears and her long lost love reads what occurred in the newspaper. He sets out to find her, succeeds, and there’s a big romantic ending. It was predictable and cheesy and Lana adored it. The story had a way of getting her mind off of things, but it didn’t work that night. What she had just experienced was determined to stay at the front of her mind despite her insistence that it stayed firmly in the back.

Lana had attempted to read the same page of her book several tens of times before she gave up. She put her book down in exasperation, got up, and left her apartment. Once she had done so, she sat down on the sidewalk and hugged her knees. Then, she looked wonderingly at the sky. She was looking very hard for something, but she couldn’t put her finger on what it was. All she knew was that there was nothing more important than to find what she didn’t know she was looking for.

After sitting on the sidewalk for quite a while, Lana realized something. Perhaps she was not to look for something, but something was looking for her. To investigate this thought further, she stood up and began to walk. Walk to the something that was pushing so hard to stay in the front of her mind that it was propelling her entire body forward. She walked straight ahead, then made a couple rights, followed by one or two lefts, and finished off with one right that felt strangely like a left. That’s where she arrived at the most uncomfortable seat in the universe.

A bus stop bench.

The same one she had just left in a huff because there was a smug alien there and his purple ship.

Except there was no longer an alien or a ship. There was just a man in a suit who was walking the way men in suits walk. Lana hated that walk, but right now she was hating it more than ever. She then moved slowly toward where the spaceship once was and gave the ground a meaningful look. To her surprise, there was something meaningful to look at.

It was titled The Problems and Un-Problems of an Alien Non-Alien Life Form. It didn't look like any book Lana had ever seen, due to its sleek black exterior and the apparent lack of pages. It was clearly a book, despite these odd features, and Lana decided to give it a read. Unfortunately, because of the apparent lack of pages, she didn't know where to begin. Once she had picked it up and examined it further, however, a very small screen was revealed to be in what she assumed to be the back cover. The screen said simply, "password".

Lana was surprised that she knew the password right away. She said "ice cream" out loud and very clearly, which caused a  significant chain of events to occur.

First, the book began to look more like a book when it opened up and revealed several unnecessarily electronic pages.

Second, several men in suits started to run at Lana from every possible direction while yelling about something. It was very hard to tell what they were yelling about since they were all doing so at the same time and some of them had fingers in their ears. It must have been important, though, because they all took their guns from their holsters and started pointing them at each other. Lana then made a horrifying realization: they were actually pointing their guns at her.

Then a third, very extraordinary thing happened: time stopped.

---

Earth Date: June 8, 2019

Sniffgipp Date: Yellow 46

I could use a friend. Friendship is underrated back on Sniffgipp, and it’s overrated here on Earth, but I think somewhere in between the two is the perfect amount of companionship. At least for me. Having the abilities and knowledge that I have, however, do not allow me to make friends. I suppose I could count this book as a friend. I confide in it and it confides in me in its own way. Especially on Wednesdays. Wednesdays on Earth are a truly magical time.

---

The men in suits stopped in their tracks, mid-stride. They continued to exist, and everything else still existed, but it had never done so in the way that it did right now. The entirety of everything was still and quiet. There was no breeze, no rustling of leaves, no distant sound of marriages being ruined. There was just this. This moment.

There was also Lana, who was not affected by time’s decision to take a vacation. Despite this, she was also completely still. She had never had guns pointed at her, nor had time ever stood still (to her knowledge). She was a bit curious why time had done as it had done. Her curiosity was about to subside, however, when the alien appeared from behind one of the suited men.

“Experiencing time standing still is always a bit odd the first time around,” It said casually.

“Did you do this?” Lana asked, stupefied.

“Indeed.”

“Why? How?” Lana asked desperately. She was about to ask “When?” as well before she realized that there was no “When” at the time. Actually, there was no time at the time either.

“I can answer the why, but not the how,” The alien replied. “You were right, it’s all because of the government. Cover-ups, secret projects, their insistence that my race is not welcome here. You knew that, so I wanted to save you from these horrible men. The reason nobody wanted this assignment was because of these men. They do not want to learn, they only want to destroy. Whenever something new comes into their path, they want to kill it instead of learning what, or who, or why it is.”

“I still don’t understand. What assignment?”

“The assignment to study Earth, because my race is interested in knowledge instead of war. No offense to you, of course,” It added quickly.

“None taken. I’m going to go home now,” Lana stated as she began to rush away.

“Wait!” The alien exclaimed, “There’s something I wanted to ask you.”

“There is something you want to ask me?”

“Yes.”

“Fine. Shoot.” Lana said in exasperation.

“Would you like to be my friend?”

Lana did not respond, but instead continued to rush away.

Time started again but the alien did not move.

For what felt like the thousandth time, the toaster was not working.

Whenever the toaster’s regretful owner attempted to press down the lever, it simply went straight back up, without doing any toasting. No matter how many times that lever was pushed down, and no matter how angrily it was done so, the toaster would not toast, much to the dismay of Edward Smith.

Edward Smith was a not-so-proud toaster owner, single, quiet, and was fairly well-off due to his job as an architect. This well-offness resulted in a very nice apartment, a very nice haircut, and a very nice, polished, pair of shoes that completed the very nice suit look. Despite this look and Edward’s skills as an architect, the toaster still refused to work.

In an attempt to fix said toaster, Edward took it apart. He removed each defiant screw, every stubborn piece of metal, and all of the condescending bits of wire and circuitry. Once this careful extraction of each and every part of the toaster had been completed, Edward was ready to begin putting all of it back together again. Actually, he hadn’t a clue how to do this, and after having this epiphany, one that he wished he had made before turning his toaster into a pile of rubble, his frustration reached a new high.

So he took each defiant screw, every stubborn piece of metal, and all of the condescending bits of circuitry and either threw them in the garbage or twisted and mangled them before also throwing them in the garbage, muttering four-letter words all the while.

“I have to go to work. This was a massive waste of time,” Edward thought to himself as he allowed his frustration to just get a drink and relax. He grabbed his keys and his wallet and made his way to his car. Luckily, by the time he sat down and turned the keys his frustration was thoroughly drunk and content.

The intruder in Edward’s house was certainly not content, however, when they discovered that the toaster was nowhere to be found.

---

The orange tabby cat that spent the majority of its time at an ice cream shop called Banana Split was not interested in the tuna that the owner of the cafe regularly offered to her. She was far too busy today. She was about to have kittens, after all.

She had to find somewhere to comfortably give birth if such a place even existed. The patio of the ice cream shop would not do. The cat did not want to be gawked at, nor did she enjoy the feeling of stone on her paws. As an alternative, the cat remembered that there was an alley just a few doors down from the coffee house, and she figured that she may have better luck there. To find out, she padded down the sidewalk, and once she had reached the alley she gave its contents a sniff. A dumpster or two, a healthy amount of rats, and something that looked suspiciously like a hand. It was all standard stuff for an alley; nothing the cat hadn’t seen many times before.

The state of these alleys never really bothered the cat, but she was far from happy about bringing her kittens into the world in one. The smell was as if a fast food restaurant had let its food go terribly, terribly bad and someone came along to try and cover up the smell with perfume, failed, changed their mind, and decided to pee on it instead.

Despite all of this, the cat noticed something. There was a pile of what looked like clean, dry blankets, tucked away in a cozy corner of the alley. The cat considered this a sign. This was the perfect spot. She curled up in the blankets and went into a deep and far from dreamless sleep.

---

The sky was just waking up from many days in a cloudy melancholy. It had no rain to offer, except for the occasional drizzle, and instead was consistently grey. The sort of grey that makes you go, “Oh hey, it looks like it’s about to rain,” and though you don’t want it to rain it’s a little disappointing that it doesn’t because you went through all of the trouble of saying, “Oh hey, it looks like it’s about to rain.”

But the sky was waking up now. The grey broke into pieces, with bright blue shining through the cracks, and the bright yellow orb hanging in the sky was revealed to the world below. As the day went on, the clouds became fewer and less grey and the sheer size of the sky became more apparent. It became what most would consider a beautiful day, but something wasn’t right. After a time, the sky began to feel purple. Then it started to feel violently purple. It began to feel so purple that it couldn’t hold it in any longer. The purpleness lurched out of the sky in waves, becoming a deeper and deeper shade every time it did so. Before long, there were no clouds, no blue, no sun, only purple. This hue reflected onto the city underneath it, giving everything a pinkish hue.

This concerned the people below deeply. They had trouble rationalizing it, as people so often try to do, especially since they did not feel purple today. Some were feeling yellow, or blue, or even green. So, to cope, they sat in their homes and went about their days as usual. As a precaution, however, they looked outside their windows every once in a while to make sure that no other things that could not be rationalized had occurred.

Much to their dismay, another thing that could not be rationalized did occur. A large number of birds began to fly in an X formation in the, still purple, sky. They did not move in one direction or another but simply stayed in one spot that was part of the massive X.

When the people looked out of their windows and witnessed this second unexplained phenomenon, they had no choice but to shut the blinds and stop looking out of their windows altogether. It was better to not know, they all thought. Whether or not this was the right decision was up for debate. Or, it would have been had people decided to exit their houses.

If they had, they would have seen a giant spacecraft hovering above the city. It was even more purple than the sky, and it didn’t have the sort of lights and such that are generally associated with UFOs. Instead, it was just purple. Shiny and purple. A purple that felt like velvet deep in your soul. So deep in your soul, in fact, that it was as if that color was the meaning to life itself. The beginning of all things. Or, perhaps, the end of all things.

It had never wanted it to be the end. It simply wished for companionship and some toast, but getting neither of those things was simply too much for the alien to handle. The only two things the alien really wanted from its assignment were gone. No friends. No toast.

Toast.

The popping sound that it made when it was done was such a joy that the alien could not contain its excitement and it ended up breaking the toaster nearly every time, but nearly every time it returned to the toaster it had been fixed. On this day, however, that was not the case. The alien was distraught.

It may just have stayed had it not been rejected just before by a potential friend. Earth was not a place for an alien from Sniffgipp. It never should have come here.

---

Earth Date: June 10, 2019

Sniffgipp Date: Eleven 12

Earth is a terrible place. Things break. People aren’t kind. There is only pain. I’m getting out of here.

---

The alien began to leave his hideout by the bus stop bench. It needed to be somewhere visible so that it could be picked up by the spaceship.

It walked through the streets, quietly, without being visible to the people around it. It wasn’t invisible, but it knew that people would just rationalize its existence. Plus, they were all distracted by the purpleness and the giant ship. They just walked right by, not noticing the sad alien.

Except for Lana.

“Oh my god, it’s you!” Lana said excitedly. “Look, I’ve been thinking, would you like to get some ice cream?”

“I’m sorry, what?” The alien asked, shocked.

“I was caught off guard by your request at first, but how many people can say that they have an alien as a friend?”

“I suppose that’s a good point,” Admitted the alien.

“And I also kept thinking about how boring my life is. I could use a little bit of interesting,” Lana continued, smiling all the while.

“I would love to get some ice cream,” The alien replied, “But there’s something I have to do first.”

---

The sky no longer felt purple, which was a relief because it had never felt that way and didn’t much enjoy it. The sun began to shine brightly once again, and the usual light blue shade flooded the sky in a gleeful wave. There were a few clouds, but not nearly too many, and they were fluffy and bright white like giant cotton balls floating through the air. It was a beautiful day and there was no doubt about it.

Lana was waiting patiently for the alien to return to the bus stop bench. She was relieved when it became a beautiful day once more. The whole ordeal that was the last few days were odder and more worrisome than anything. She just wanted to go out and get some ice cream with her new friend. That is, her devastatingly interesting new friend.

Before long, the alien arrived and the unlikely pair began to walk to Lana’s favorite ice cream shop, Banana Split.

As they neared the shop, they began hearing tiny squeaking sounds, perhaps a baby rhinoceros. Upon further inspection, it was not a rhinoceros, but a litter of orange tabby kittens. There were seven in all, and each of them was curled up next to their mom, also an orange tabby, who was, in turn, curled up, asleep, on a pile of blankets.

“What are they?” The alien asked Lana quietly.

“The big one is called a cat and the little ones are kittens. We keep them as pets and they are very sweet and intelligent creatures,” Lana said, but it didn’t seem like the alien was listening. Instead, it very gently picked one of them up and held the kitten in its arms. The mother cat woke up then, and Lana feared the worst, but the cat didn’t seem to mind the guests. She seemed tired, but content.

The alien looked adoringly at the mother cat and the kittens and said, “I love them more than toast.”

THE SNIFFGIPP TIMES

SNIFFGIPPIAN RESEARCHER BRINGS NEWS AND NEW ARRIVALS TO SNIFFGIPP

After an eventful week on Earth, a Sniffgippian researcher returned home yesterday with some company. Three members of the main ruling entity on Earth, called cats, came to Sniffgipp with the researcher. They are small, fluffy creatures, with above average intelligence and are, frankly, adorable.

The researcher who brought these creatures to our planet brings news of Earth itself as well. It needs a lot of work, as always, and is consumed with hate, due to the beings that consider themselves to be the superior race on Earth, humans. They do not know that this is not the case. It is, in fact, cats that have the most control over the planet. They rule with a cleverly concealed iron fist but unfortunately have had trouble keeping the humans in check. Sniffgippian officials have offered many times to help, but the humans have never accepted the generous offer.

The human governments on Earth are too worried about keeping aliens off of their planet that they aren’t concerned with saving the planet itself. Despite the fact that they are aware of our race’s willingness to provide aid, Earth refuses to allow anyone from this planet to go to Earth. Our superiority in intelligence and in nearly everything else over the humans is painfully obvious.

Meanwhile, the cats are much more open and willing to accept alien life forms. In fact, the kittens brought to Earth hope to make future plans to establish a small colony here on Sniffgipp, most likely near the Talo Forest or the Agonorium Sea. Surely enough, if these plans are set in motion, the cats will receive a warm, Snifgippian welcome.

Sniffgipp officials say that they will continue to offer Earth help, but they don’t have high hopes that it will be taken up by the earthly residents. They predict another thousand years before the extinction of all current life on Earth occurs, unless the humans somehow turn it around themselves.

“It is possible that the humans can figure out a way to help their own planet,” The researcher stated. “There are actually a lot of truly amazing humans out there and I believe that, in time, if enough of these amazing humans can work together, they can solve the problems that are plaguing Earth.

We on Sniffgipp hope the best for the planet, even though they have steadfastly refused to accept our help. If there are actually amazing humans on that planet, let’s hope they can turn things around.

Have a great day and enjoy your vanilla ice cream!