Life's Balancing Act | Teen Ink

Life's Balancing Act

By uberbearsharkm8 PLATINUM, Seminole, Florida
uberbearsharkm8 PLATINUM, Seminole, Florida

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory."
- Leonard Nimoy

Summary:

When life first began, Chaos and Order were born. Neither reigned over the universe, rather they balanced the influence of one another out. Chaos gave Order something to correct and Order gave Chaos a toy with which to play. Without one another, the world’s natural balance would inevitably fall apart. Chaos and Order never got along, both had been devoted to the undoing and ultimate destruction of each other so their schools of thought could reign supreme. Despite their interdependence upon each other, the two wanted nothing more than to rise above the other. 

Once the typical exhaustion of a job given to an immortal set in, Order received a son. The son was perfect, a mirror image of his father in every aspect, except his sense of duty was outweighed by his sense of virtue. He was named Iuris, meaning “law,” which destiny would force him to maintain just like his father once had.

On the other side of the coin, Chaos welcomed a daughter named Orcorum Tenebrarum, meaning “Chaotic.” She adored havoc, and found the most dangerous of scenarios to be the most fun. Unlike her father, she was chaotic to the point of loving her own enjoyment far more than she loved her duty bestowed upon her.

Logic dictated that Iuris and Orcorum should have been enemies, just as their fathers were. They should have spent their immortal lives hunting one another down, trying to end the reigns each other held on Earth. They were created to only hold pure hatred for the other, and yet they constantly found themselves content in each other’s company. When Orcorum was ordered to kill Iuris, she much preferred to race him down Niagara Falls. And when Iuris was instructed to arrest Orcorum, he found himself showing her the Taj Mahal instead. 

Bound to the purposes for which they were created, and born to be loyal to their fathers, Iuris and Orcorum must discover just how far their millennia-long friendship can go before their respective sides become too aware of their dishonesties. If they cannot, their friendship will not be the only thing in danger: they will be too.

Oliver D.

Life's Balancing Act