Willows adventure | Teen Ink

Willows adventure

By black_veil162, Paragould, Arkansas
black_veil162, Paragould, Arkansas

This isn't some story you hear in fairy tales about princesses who get woken up with a kiss or ogres who find love, no this is not a story like that. This happened long ago when magic still existed but no one knew it. There lived a young girl named Willow. She was beautiful with blue eyes and brown hair, she was skinny but not too skinny that it looked like she didn't eat and she was tiny. She grew up in a family that didn't appreciate her. When she was really little her parents died. She was never told how but she knew they were not alive because they wouldn't let her live like this. Her adopted family would lock her in the attic and barely feed her so it was no wonder why she was skinny. But late at night she would sneak into the kitchen and get food, but she was always scared of getting caught. One day she received a letter in the mail. Her adopted family looked at it and saw it was from school. They were relieved to have finally found a legal way to get rid of her.  They rushed it up to her and smiled in relief in watching her open it. Willow softly read it to herself. She was accepted into a huge school. And she didn't even remember applying for it. Willow has never been to an actual school. Her adopted parents were too embarrassed to even be known as her step-parents. Willow jumped with happiness. Finally, she was leaving this awful place and maybe met some people that she can get along with. That might accept her. She doesn’t want to feel like she doesn’t belong anymore. She instantly started packing, but something weird happened as soon as her adopted parents left, the envelope the letter came in and it started glowing.  She slowly walked over to the envelope and opened it again and saw something flew out of it. She jumped back and tripped not knowing that that was. She looked around but it was nowhere to be seen. Willow, very confused, slowly got up, still, a little freaked out.  Maybe she was seeing things she has been locked up for a long time. But she wasn't sure what to think anymore She hurried up and finished packing then saw a car outside and heard it knock. Is that my ride already? Dang, that was fast I didn’t expect to be going today. Willow quickly packed up the rest of her stuff and ran out the door not even saying a word to her adopted parents. She quickly jumped in the car happy to finally be out of that place. She was finally going to be happy. She was going to live a normal teenage life, or so she thought. She suddenly felt like something was off. Was this not the car to take me to school? She thought as she looked over at the driver, He looked to be about in his ’20s maybe early 30’s he had dark brown hair and brown eyes and he looked so serious like he didn’t have a smile to show at all. I suddenly felt uncomfortable. Willow slowly looked at him. 

“Sir where are we going? 

“The school of course”, He replied. 

she suddenly felt a little better knowing she was going where she was supposed to but this man still gave her chills. It was like the man just sent off a creepy vibe. About an hour goes by and they are in the middle of nowhere. There was not a single building in sight and willows slowly started to freak out. Then suddenly they came to a stop. What was he doing, Willow asked herself Then suddenly a huge building appeared, it was almost like a castle! As the wall slowly came down the school became more visible and the bigger it got. It almost looked like a spooky mansion. We slowly pulled up to the gate and it suddenly opened. We drove in slowly, I was waiting for someone to jump out of the bushes like in horror movies but no that didn't happen. I got out and grabbed my bags and stared at the school in amazement. I turned back around to thank the creepy man but the car vanished. Willow walked up to the door and saw a sign that read,” ring the bell, someone will assist you.” Willow rang the bell and the door instantly opened. She walked inside and gazed at her surroundings. Soon enough a tall man walked up and greeted her. “ hello”  he said reaching his hand out. I reached back and slowly shook his hand a little nervous. He turned around and started to walk away. “Follow me” 

I slowly followed him, keeping my distance. He then continued to walk up to a door. They will help you from here just go inside. Willow consciously opened the door and walked inside to see 2 people sitting in there. A pretty woman was sitting at the desk. She had light blonde hair and green eyes. She gazed at me in confusion. “ hi” I said 

Who are you? “The woman questioned

I-I’m Willow, Willow stone. I got a letter from you guys 

Oh it's an honor to meet you willow 

I stared at her in confusion, an honor to meet me? Why me? 

There's nothing special about me

She smiled at me and handed me my schedule, “go to your dorm and get unpacked you will start school tomorrow.”

I walked up to my dorm and the room shined so brightly like the sun. I sat my bags on the bed and started slowly unpacking while I admired the room with the beautiful view of a very magical-looking forest. As I was unpacked I saw a shimmer from the corner of my eye by the door. I carefully snuck over to the door where I saw the shimmer. It was a glowing wand. The more I saw of this place the more confused I got. I picked up the wand and held it in the air and scanned over it wondering why a toy light wand was just sitting in my roommate, this isn’t a school for little kids so how did it get here I thought to myself. That’s when she realized this wasn't a normal school for teens. Why am I here? I'm not a wizard or a witch. I don't belong here. And why did those people treat me like I was famous or something I’m a nobody orphan that lived in an awful family. If I was so famous why did nobody rescue me, this is all just too much to take in right now. She fell backward on the bed when a scream frightened her. What was that? She asked jumping off the bed and opening the door to see what was wrong. When she opened it she saw about 100 kids standing there at her door. “Omg is it really you,” one girl asked: yea the one everyone’s talking about,” another one said 

I just looked at them confused. “I’m sorry guys I don't know what you are talking about. I'm just a normal orphan,” I said calmly. 

“ no,” another girl said, ``You're not a normal orphan. There are stories about you since you were born and it's a pleasure to meet you. 

Then everyone walked away. I was so confused. Who am I? Do I even know who I am anymore, obviously these people know more about me than I know about myself.  I started thinking about what happened to make people actually know who I am. What happened when I was little to let people know I was somehow famous. I didn't like being famous. It was just too much for me to handle I didn't like the attention.

The next day came and it approached fast. I actually have to go to class and There was no getting out of it. I had to deal with "fans" all day long. I wasn't ready for it. I slowly got out of bed dreading anything that included leaving my room. I went to the bathroom and quickly jumped into the shower and brushed my teeth. You could tell I wasn't ready for this just by my facial expressions. I hurried up and threw on a pair of jeans and a hoodie not trying to make myself too noticeable and I kept my hood on hoping no one would be able to see my face and run up to me. 

I lethargically walked out of my room to my first call scared out of my mind and shaking in my shoes.  I got to my class and sat in the back f the room with my hood up trying not to be noticed. The class started and I was going unnoticed until the teacher saw me and made me take off my hood. I slowly took it off and everyone gasped in surprisement. I didn't know what to do I was scared and embarrassed. They looked at me like I was the president or something. I looked down at the floor trying to hide my embarrassment. 

"Now pay attention and don't let me see you with that hood on again." 

I nodded my head "yes ma'am.

She continued with her lesson and rats when I knew there was something wrong with this school, I knew it was different than any other school. It was a school for magic-like witches. But I'm no witch. I can't do magic this has got to be a joke. This can't be real, witches and wizards aren't real. They can't be, right? All of these are just stories for little kids.