The long way home | Teen Ink

The long way home

By FortniteSniper1, Kingsport, Tennessee
FortniteSniper1, Kingsport, Tennessee

The day started like any other day. My sister and I woke up early to go to school. I quickly got dressed for school, ate breakfast and rode my bike to school.” My sister takes my mom's car to go to school”. School started to like it always does. The first period is math than English, bible etc... It was lunchtime now and Darius” the school bully” was walking towards me menacingly, I knew what he wanted, “he wanted my lunch money” as he marched towards me he said, “Thomas where's my lunch money. Knowing what will happen if I give him the wrong answer I just tell him the truth, and I said “I already spent my lunch money” then my  face turned cherry red knowing what will happen next. He took my food tray and threw the contents of my food all over my face. As I was covered in  my lunch Darius said,” next time it will be much worse.”

Then I told myself I will be ok and walked out of the lunchroom and to my locker for the extra pair of clothes just for this occasion. Then the bell rang and it was time for the next class.

When school was over I rode my bike back home and as I did, I saw a tiny flash of light coming from the sky, not knowing what it was I just went along my merry way ( not knowing that light will change my life forever) 

As I came home my mom was in the kitchen making dinner, tonight was leftover night. “How was school?” my mom said. Good, I said[ I lied]. Do you have any homework, dad said. Yeah, I said I'm going up to my room to do it now. As I passed the living room the tv was on, it was about the flashing light I saw when I came home from school. Cool, I thought it must be a meteor shower. As I came to my room I flung my backpack on change my life forever.”.  my bed. I took out my phone and called my best friend Kaleb. I told him about the meteor shower. He said that there wasn't supposed to be a meteor shower for the next few months.” (My friend was smart in subjects like this.) This is very odd, said Kaleb. Those lights are not moving like normal meteors. Yeah, that is odd, I said. Maybe there are just northern lights? Well, Kaleb said, “it's too early for that and we're far away from the north pole.” “So what else could it be?” I asked. “It could be a large object grazing the top of the atmosphere,” Kaleb said. “Like a rock skipping across a pond.” Well, I said what would do something like that? My friend answered, “It can be a satellite slowly coming down from its orbit and skipping across the atmosphere.” “Wow,” I said, “that kinda makes sense.” But Kaleb said ” but satellites don't usually take this long to ‘skip and ‘sink’”, so I don't know what it is. This answer caught my attention. then what can it be? I said. My friend answered “ I don't know, I will have to look at them through my telescope. “Can I come over and check it out with you?” I asked. 

Let me see if my mom will let you come over first. Kaleb said. Yeah, you ask your mom if you can spend the night. and I will ask my mom if you can spend the night... 

That sounds like a plan. Kaleb said. A few minutes later I got a text on my phone: My mom says you can come over. Then I grabbed my overnight bag; (which I have for going to my friend's house) After I grabbed my bag I went downstairs and said goodbye to my parents; not knowing that it would be my last. I went outside and got my bike and went to my friend's house. His house was only a few blocks away, so I made it to his house in just a few minutes. As I got there I looked up at the sky and saw more than one light in the sky; That's strange I thought there was only one light in the sky. As I pulled up to Kaleb's house I saw him in the driveway with his telescope out. As I got closer I could see his pale face glued to the telescope. I came to him with worry on my face. What's the matter? I said. He looked at me with fear in his eyes. Thomas, you need to look at this. I came to the telescope and looked into the eyepiece and I saw a lot of spaceships...

My first thought was that it had to be a prank. So I looked at my friend and said ‘ great prank, how did you do it?” My friend said “ I swear it is not a prank” As  I looked at him suspiciously our phones rang with an amber alert saying to go inside due to the tornado warning. I looked up at the sky” not a cloud in the sky''. That's when the tornado sirens went off and Kaleb hurried inside(after putting away the telescope) and went to the basement. When we came down the stairs we felt small vibrations on the floor which shook more and more each second. Then the lights went out, after a few seconds I and Kaleb took out our phones and turned our lights on. As we looked around with our phone lights we heard a loud crash. What was that I stammered? I don't know what Kaleb said. The shaking then turned to boom, This continued for several hours. When the shaking somewhat stopped (it didn't fully stop for several days) Kaleb and me tried to go upstairs but we couldn't because there was debris all over the stairs. That must have been the big boom we heard earlier, Kaleb said. Yeah, I countered. After a few minutes of trying to move the debris, we couldn't muster the strength to move the debris (because we were still shaken up from earlier. Let's just go to bed, I said. Yeah, that sounds good I said. Wait just one second, Kaleb said. Let me try our solar batteries to see if they're damaged. A few minutes later the power somewhat came back on. The batteries need some repair. It will take a few hours, you can go to bed if you want to, Kaleb said. I will just go to bed. I went to Kaleb's room(which was in the basement). As I came into Kaleb's room I healed my breath fearing the worst when I opened my eyes. Kalebs room was perfect, except some of the lego figures were on the ground broken. But I was too tired to care. I leapt onto the bed and fell asleep instantly.

When I woke up the next day I checked my watch, It was 12:34. Holy crap I'm late to school big time but as I got out of bed the memories of last night hit me like a freight train. As I got out of bed the room seemed cleaner than what I remember from last night. The legos on the ground weren't there, they were on the shelf where they are supposed to be. “That's weird,” I thought when I exited the room I saw Kaleb playing Minecraft. As I came to him I said,” I fixed the batteries, there wasn't a big problem with them, they just needed a few wires tightened.” Then when I was done with that I tried to go to bed but I wasn't tired, then I tidied up the place and tried to move the debris on the stairway, but I couldn't do it with some help so I just started playing Minecraft while I wanted for you to wake up. Ok, I said,” first things first, good job on fixing up the place and second of all I'm starving what's for breakfast”. Then Kaleb answered There is milk in the fridge and cereal on the counter(there was a kitchen in the basement). After I ate breakfast, I and Kaleb went to try to get the debris out of the stairway.  After a few days, we didn't make any progress on the debris, (the problem was that it was a concrete beam and we only had one hammer). So Kaleb and I were getting worried that we were gonna die in the basement. But that's when an idea came into my head, why don't we look for another way out?

That's when Kaleb smacked his forehead, “why didn't I think of that before” Kaleb said. Well, I said “where does one find an exit to this place” so for the next few hours Kaleb and I searched for an exit. “Dang we're gonna be trapped down here aren't we,” I said. “Don't think that we can do this, we're just not looking hard enough”. Well, then where can we look that we haven't already? I asked. “Did we look behind heavy objects like a fridge or a bookshelf?” I said 

“Well there is a bookshelf that has been here since my parents were here,” Kaleb said. “I wonder if there is a secret compartment behind the bookshelf” Hmn… Kaleb said. That's not a bad idea. So we went to the bookshelf and we didn't know what to do. “ Well, maybe we just pull out one of the books and see what happens,” Kaleb said. “Like in the movies”. I said. So Kaleb and I started pulling out books one-by-one, but as we got to the last book Kaleb and I held our breath, and nothing happened. Wow, said Kaleb. “That was anticlimactic”. But as I pulled down that book it felt strangely light so I opened up the book to find out that it was hollow. “Come look at this,” I said. “Wow that's cool,” Jacob said. “It's a key”. “but a key for what” I countered. “Well, I don't know but look at this” Kaleb said. It was a piece of paper with three words inscribed on it. It said “top left corner”. Hmn… I said top corner to what. “Oh I think it means the top corner of the bookshelf,” Kaleb said. “ So Kaleb reached up and touched the top left corner of the bookshelf.  “ It's loose,” He said. And the piece of wood fell off onto the ground with a cold hard clank. And where the top left corner of the bookshelf was a keyhole. Well Kaleb said “ I hope this works” With an agonising few twists of the key we heard a metal clank and what was behind the bookshelf was darkness. When Kaleb and I went to find flashlights ( actuarial flashlights not just our phones) We held our breath and opened the bookshelf again and turned on the flashlights and what we saw made me the luckiest boy in the world.

We saw a large underground bunker with loads of ammo boxes, guns, MRE’s, several armoured vehicles and even a tank A LITERAL FREAKING TANK  with huge shells stacked up next to it. “What the H E  double hockey sticks is this,” I said. “I don't know,” Kaleb said. But if we look around I bet we can find out what this is. After a few minutes of gawking at all the guns and ammo, we found out that this bunker was built in 1959 for storing supplies during the Cold War. Wow, this stuff is in pretty good shape for it being 70+ years old. Wow, Jacob gets over here there is a firing range here. Wow, that's cool but we need to find an exit. “Ooh yeah, I forgot about that,” Kaleb said. So Kaleb and I went on exploring the bunker after a few minutes the overhead lights turned on and I heard a rumbling noise. I went to check it out and I saw Kaleb in another room with a big grin on his face and engine grease on his hands. “I found the backup power supply and I calculate that if we use my solar batteries, this generator and the rest of the solar panels in my house the power in this bunker will last ( He counted on his fingers ) three months. “Wow,” I said “How did you calculate that”. “Well,” Kaleb said, “ it says right here that are 3000 gallons of gas in the tank and this generator uses one gallon of gas per day, then yeah about 3 months.” “This generator has 3000 gallons of gas.” Jacob exclaimed! Yeah, but there is a nuclear-powered one in another one but I don't want to mess with it until I read the instructions manual. ``Wow,” I said, “but we still have to find a way out.” Oh but I did see I needed the generator for this. And he pushed a button and the roof started to lift and I could see the night sky. “Wow, now we have a way out, but we should wait for the morning to go exploring,'' Kaleb said. Yeah, I said we should try to get one of the armoured vehicles to start up and ride it around tomorrow so we can find survivors. Yeah and we can still search the bunker for more stuff. First, we need to stick together so you don't do something like turning on the lights again you almost gave me a heart attack. “Well sorry,” Kaleb said. Ok, I said “we’re too first” “oh what about the kitchen,” Kaleb said “I’m hungry” “Yeah me too,” I said. It took a few minutes to find the kitchen but when we got there there were so many different MRE’S there was Steak, shrimp, pasta, fish and a whole lot more. I settled on pasta and Kaleb settled on a steak. We took our meals and looked for a place to sit down ( the cafeteria had at least thirty tables big and there were 4 chairs per table). As we opened our meals we figured out that we didn't know how to eat MRE’S but thankfully there were instructions. All we needed was some hot water, which was easy because the kitchen was right there. So we turned on the tap and the water was brown but it turned crystal clear in a few moments ( this happened sometimes at my house ) so we got a pan from the wall and went to the stove. ‘I hope this works’ Kaleb said. He turned the stove on and after a few clicks of the igniter the stove came to life. “Oh thank god,” Jacob said. After we followed the instructions we ate our food and talked. “What do we name this bunker?” Jacob said. “Well what about HQ? Kaleb said. No, that sounds like it's used too often. “Oh what about Ba Sing Say.” Kaleb said. “ It's the name of a city in a tv show I used to watch. Yeah that sounds cool, “ Jacob said. “Oh we should start an army” Kaleb said “and make an insignia and everything.” “You have one in mind.” Jacob said. Yeah we can call ourselves the Fire nation and our intensity will be fire. “Well what will the fire signify?” Jacob said. “Well it can signify the burning of all the bad in the world,” Kaleb said.  “Well that sounds alright I guess” Said Jacob. And we talked about making uniforms and insignias on the tank and armoured cars. Then we talked about finding our friends and family. That's when it hit me. My parents might be dead and I started crying. It's ok Kaleb said there is a chance they're still alive. This gave me a boost of confidence. Then I told Kaleb that I was going to bed. “Where are you going to bed?” In your room if you don't mind. “Yeah you go do that,” Kaleb said. And I couldn't go to sleep so I told Kaleb if I could go ahead and try to crank up an armoured vehicle. “ Sure, go right ahead,'' he said. I went to the vehicle and found the keys in the cupholder and tried to start it. The engine turned over but wouldn't start. So I looked at the Fuel gauge and it registered empty. Hmn… I thought “there must be gas tanks somewhere nearby. It took a few minutes but I found a gas can and filled up the armoured car and it started right up. I found Kaleb making the Fire Nation Uniforms( He found some regular uniforms) He was putting his and my last names on them with red letters and a black background. “Wow, that looks sick,” I said. And I helped him with the uniforms. It took a couple of hours and I was tired so I went to bed. (Kaleb stayed up working on painting the armoured car.) And reading the manual for the nuclear generator. When I woke up it was 8:00, well time to get up so I ate a breakfast of MRE’S and put on the fire nation uniform. “Wow this is comfy,” I said. I went to find Kaleb, He was in the armoured car sleeping. “Hmn…” I thought. “ I will just have to wait to wake him up” So I went to the gun range ( It was on the second floor, The base was 10 stories deep) And I found a small gun that I liked and I read the instructions and it said I needed .22 cal bullets, so I walked around and found some .22 cal ammo boxes and carried them to the gun range. Then the instructions said to take out the magazine and put bullets in the mag. So I did and I also found some hearing protection and set up a target. Then I turned off the safety and closed my eyes and pulled the trigger. There wasn't any kickback, “That's cool” I thought then I emptied the mag and checked my target. I got one bullseye and missed three times. I did this a few more times till I got the hang of it. Then I found a holster for the gun and attached it to my belt. (I also put some spare mags in some pockets in my uniform. Then I went to the armoury and got some boots that fit me and put them on. And I found a knife that looked cool and put it in my boot ( there was a pocket for this in the boot)

And I found a cool red and black officers cap in there and put it on. I looked in the mirror and said “ Wow I look so freaking cool”. And I found some grenades and put them in the armoured car. ( I also put some food and extra gas in there too) As I went to get more supplies Kaleb woke up and asked “what time is it ?” I looked at my watch, “ it is 11:43 in the morning.” I said. “It's almost time to go search isn't it” Yeah I said. And Kaleb went and ate breakfast and got in his uniform. “Hey Kaleb,” I said “Did you pick out a gun yet,” I said. “Oh no I havet” Kaleb said. “Well do you have one picked out yet”? “Yes,” he said “I saw an AK-47”. “what's that?” I said “It's a rifle.“Oh cool,” I said “have you shot it yet?”  ``Not yet,” Kaleb said. “ You want to see me shoot it with me? Kaleb said. “Yes,” I said. So me and Kaleb went to the shooting range and he showed me the gun and it looked SO FREAKING COOL! “Well you haven't seen the coolest part yet, Kaleb said”. He set up a target and aimed his gun. Wait, do you have hearing protection? “No,” I said. “Well you better” Kaleb Said. After I put on my hearing protection he aimed and fired. The gun shot so fast it obliterated the target. “Holy crap” I said, `` That's so cool. ‘Yeah Kaleb said’  “But the problem is I don't like SMGs” Jacob said. “Well what weapons do you like?” Kaleb said. “Well I like snipers,” Jacob said. What kind of snipers? Kaleb said. “Well I like the heavy sniper from fortnite” I said. “ Say no more” And Kaleb showed  me to a locker marked with .50 cal. And pulled out my favorite gun. “Here is the .50 cal BMG.” Kaleb said. “HOLY CRAP.” I said. “That gun exists”. “Yes,”Kaleb said. “Do you want to shoot it?’  “Heck yeah I said. When Kaleb showed me the bullet it shot and loaded it into the gun and gave it to me. “Does this gun have a lot of kickback?” Jacob said. “It has a little,” Kaleb said. So I put on some earmuffs and got into the classic sniper position and pulled the trigger. The sound was louder than I expected and the kickback blew me back several inches. “Wow, that's powerful,” I said. 

“Yeah, let's bring that gun with us while we look for survivors,” Kaleb said. And we loaded it into the armoured car. “We should come up with a name for the armoured vehicle,” Kaleb said.

“Well,” Jacob said. “Since you named the bunker I will Name the Vehicles”. 'OK you can do that’ Kaleb said. “Well,” Jacob said. “I will name the armoured car… trojan like the trojan horse from ancient times” ‘That sounds cool,” Kaleb said. “Before we go there is one tiny problem,” Kaleb said. “ when we go out of the bunker the door will be open so anyone passing by can go in”. “Hmn…” I thought “There must be a way to open and close the door from the outside.” so I looked around and saw the answer, two handheld devices that on closer inspection said open and close. “What does this do?” I said. It had two cables coming out of it one had a little tag saying Athena and another one that said power. So I went to the Trojan and looked around for a plugin and after a little bit, I found something that looked like the right fit so I cranked up the Trojan and plugged in the device and pressed open and the great door to the bunker opened and I pressed the close button and it shut. Then when Kaleb saw this he looked at me and smiled. “Well I guess this is our lucky day,'' Kaleb said. And we got in the Trojan and opened the door and left underground, and saw the sun for the first time in days.

When we first came out of the bunker it led to the town soccer field. After we came out of the bunker we closed the door and saw what was left of the town.