Breaking point | Teen Ink

Breaking point

April 2, 2022
By Anonymous

I step into the parlor with the letter in hand and a head full of confidence, ‘Maybe he won’t mind. Maybe he will be happy for me.’ I think as I search the crowd for Wyatt’s curly brown hair. I look around until I find him and my heart slowly breaks as I see him with another girl, him eating her face. I storm over to the bar and slam the letter down in front of him “Here you go, jerk. I hope I never see you again.” I say as I storm out of the bar “Wait, Clary, hold on.” I hear behind me, I turn around to see Wyatt chasing after me. “What do you want Wyatt? Did you come to humiliate me again? Or did you come to tell me nothing is going on between you and that girl?” I say all at once, forgetting to breathe. “I’m sorry. I was going to tell-” “When? Huh, when were you going to tell me? Was it before or after you stuck your tongue down that girl's throat?” He looks at me like I just told him I killed someone. “Clary, I was going to tell you tomorrow. I just didn’t know how.” I stare at him before walking away in the opposite direction. I hear him calling me but I don’t turn around.


When I get home, I check the fridge to see if there was anything new in it, which there never is. I go into my room and fall onto my pillow crying until I can’t anymore. “Clary, honey, are you home?” I hear my mom's drunken and slurred voice call from the kitchen. “Yeah, I just got in. I’m not hungry so I’m just gonna go to bed.” I call back to her. Like she even cares.

I head to the bathroom to take a shower and get in. I wash all of yesterday’s gunk and filth off of myself, slowly crying and scrubbing my body to oblivion. As I step in front of the mirror, I scream. “Why the hell are my eyes green?” I yell as I dry my hair. As I get dressed and head to my car, I notice that there are some lights all around that didn’t seem to be there at first. I pay them no mind and walk the rest of the way to my car. As I drive up to Abby’s house, I see Wyatt’s car parked outside. I get out of the car and go to her bedroom window and peek through. I almost fall back in surprise as I see Wyatt kiss my best friend in her face as he gets out of the bed and pulls on his pants. I walk back to my car and drive to school pissed off and ready to bring hell.

I walk into school and head straight to my first class. Punctuality is very important at my school. We must be early or on time and we can’t be late. My parents somehow came up with the money for tuition and sent me to a really good and prestigious private school. I adjust my sunglasses and sit as far back as I can. I try not to think of my eyes changing from brown to green overnight. When class ends I head straight for the bathroom to clear my head. I sit in one of the stalls catching my breath when I hear some voices and the bathroom door close. “ I don’t know what Wyatt sees in her. He can do so much better than Clary. Oh wait, He already did. He took me out last night and you should have seen her face when she saw us together.” One of the voices says, “Oh my god, Abby, You are so bad. You hooked up with her boyfriend?” I hear laughs and the sink turns off as the bathroom door closes. I unlock the door and start crying. My own best friend, not only cheated on me, but she was talking about me behind my back. If I’m being honest, I didn’t expect much more from a girl like her. 

I walk out of the bathroom and to my next class after I finish bawling my eyes out. I see Wyatt at my locker and stop to get my history book. “Why aren’t you with your new girlfriend? Did she already cheat? Wow, that was fast.” I say as I slam my locker closed. “Wait, Clary, let me explain. I am with Abby, yes, but I love you. What happened with her was a mistake. I love you.” I almost laugh. I walk away from him without saying another word to him. How dare he say he’s still with her but that what happened was a mistake? It’s like he thinks I’m some stupid girl that has no brain or something. I walk to history and sit as far in the back as possible.

I am about to get up after class ends when the room starts spinning. I get to the door before falling over and everything goes dark.

When I wake up, all I smell is peroxide and medicine. I groan as I try to sit up, but someone is holding me down. “Woah, hold on a second. You’re still adjusting to everything. Sit up very slowly.” I hear a sweet and deep voice say. I open my eyes to see a long brown-haired Latino sitting over me. “What the f*ck happened? Where am I?” “ You are in a secret facility in California. You passed out in class and your nurse called to say that you had green eyes. How long have your eyes been like this?” I sit up and almost fall over. “I um, I’ve had them since last night. Strange things have been happening. First, there were weird lights all over. And then I could see things that weren’t there. Why am I here? Who are you?” He gets up and walks over to the window and folds his hands behind his back. “You are here because you and countless other people have been experiencing these strange anomalies in the past month. I am one of those people.” He says as he turns around. When he turns around, I see for the first time that his eyes are purple with golden flecks in them, making them even more beautiful than before. “My name is Gabriel Martinez, and I will be your guide. And you are?” He says as he holds out his hand for me to take. “My name is Clarissa. Where are we going?” He puts a finger to his lips as if to say ‘hush, all in due time ’.

We walk down at least ten hallways, before coming into a room filled with the smell of tacos and- “Is that Enchiladas I smell?” I say as I run over to the counter and grab a plate. “Yes, it is. This cafeteria is filled with the finest Mexican and Spanish dishes known to man. My family is responsible for that. We used to run the best Mexican restaurant in all of Los Angeles.” He says as we walk to a table filled with people. I sit down and immediately start eating. “Woah, slow down there chica, don’t choke.” He says chuckling, “Sorry, I didn’t eat dinner last night. Or breakfast.” I say in between bites. “Clary, this is Milo, Abby, Aaron, and Shawn. They all just got here yesterday.” I almost choke when he says Abby, my head jerks up to see that it isn’t my Abby. “Nice to meet you al. Sorry if I seemed hostile, last Abby I knew, slept with my boyfriend and was talking sh*t about me, so, I’m not very happy with her right now.” Everyone at the table chuckles and Abby holds up their hands. “It’s all right. Abby is short for Abraham, I hate my name so everyone calls me Abby.” I nod my head and go back to stuffing my face.

The author's comments:

I will post part two with new chapters when I can

As we walk down the hallway to what I assume would be my room I get bored. “So, how old are you?“ I ask Gabriel. “I just turned eighteen last month. How about you?” “Seventeen, next month anyway. Though I don’t think I’ll be spending it with my mom and dad.” He stops and turns to me. “Why do you say that? You should never say such things.” He says, “Well, My parents are divorced, and I live with my mom, though she is an alcoholic and forgets I exist from time to time.” I stop walking and hear singing. “Who is that?” I ask as I go toward the voice. “Take on me-” I look at where the sound is coming from and see that it’s Milo. “Wow, that was good.” He jumps and stops singing. “Sorry, I didn’t realize anyone was still awake. I’ll stop playing if  you need.” I shake my head. “I think I’ll stay here for a while Gabe, I can find my way back to my room,” I say as Gabriel walks off. “So, can I see that real quick?” I ask. He hands me the guitar and I start playing and singing. “I don’t know you, but I want you all the more for that. Falling slowly eyes that know me, and I can’t go back, Moods that take me and erase me and I’m painted black. Well, you have suffered long enough and warred with yourself, it’s time that you won. Take this sinking boat and point it home. We’ve still got time. Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you’ve made it now. Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you’ve made it now. Falling slowly sing your melody, I’ll sing it loud.”

(Listen to Falling slowly. Good trouble.)



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.