Rising Sun | Teen Ink

Rising Sun

By Ayden127, Manly, Iowa
Ayden127, Manly, Iowa

"Do or do not, There is no try"
"There are no mistakes."

I am a student that has just recently found a lot of interest in writing Science Fiction and stories in general. I am inspired by my recent thoughts and my interest in Non-Fiction. I hope everyone can enjoy my first write as much as some of my friends and teachers have.

This is the introduction AND chapter 1. The book is still in process fyi. Hope you enjoy.

Introduction

‘It’s been fun, but I believe it’s time to… end the show.’ I hear in my brain

That thought is unlike any other I have ever experienced before, a whole different level of intrusion that my brain can't quite handle. Before, this thought would be crazy. A mind-boggling thought that would pierce my brain and leave the blade untouched, realizing that-

“Hey, focus!” Someone yelled at me

“I am… uh… yeah… I am.” I responded

Who is this person I am talking to?

“Hey, where are we going?” I said afterwards

It was a bright, sunny autumn day. The leaves are yellow and red, the grass that nice light green, and the light spring-feeling breeze all in perfect unison, felt great. This was just a great feeling. The beautiful sight of the tall buildings, the emanating rays from the sun, and the beautiful red sky…

‘Forget that. Just forget’

I hear, with no location for the noise to be found

“What in the w-” I say

“What's wrong?” The woman next to me says

“Hey, are you okay?” she says again

"I… don't-"

My knees collapse and I fall to the ground. I fall face up and my back feels as if its weightless

“Hey! Are you okay c-”

My hearing cuts out, and returns to normal a second later. The same with my vision, my eyes feel as if they are closing, but my world goes to black. Minutes go by, and still nothing. I then hear something

“You’re asleep.” I hear. “Wake up”

I woke up to the same location, completely paralyzed. The sky flashes white, and then slowly a dark red tint. The hot red sun hits my skin and the sun moves perfectly into my vision. The sun turns a bright red, and an entirely white ring appears around it, the ring goes inward, and the sun goes pure white. The pressure of the air changes entirely, and all of the sudden there’s no gravity whatsoever. I'm lifted in the air, and immediately dropped back to the ground due to the immense pressure of the first wave of solar energy hitting the earth. The sun turns pure black, pulling me straight up, and it’s then when I regain my movement. I scrummage around me after grabbing a light post, and feel a hole in the cement. Without saying anything, I pull my back to the cement, and I feel my back sink, and I slowly fall through into black abyss.

‘Survive, for you will have no memory, but still, Survive.’

Chapter 1

Reminisce 

"Hey Miss, how do I solve this problem here?" A student called out to a teacher 

"Well, you see this…" the teacher said

I'm currently just sitting at my desk doing some school work whilst listening to music. That is usually what I do all the- yeah. All the time.

"Hey, come here and look at this." Someone says to the person in the seat next to them

“Wow, I didn't know there was a special eclipse event today?” Said Someone in the back of the classroom, directly next to the window.

'What do you mean by eclipse?' I think.

Someone stands up and peers through the window. Everybody follows, and almost simultaneously gasps all at once.

“Hey, sit down!” the teacher screams “what's all this commotion about anyway?”

She walks over to the window And mutters something that isn’t appropriate to say in school.

“What are you guys doing?” I say as I finally turn my attention away from my laptop

One man gets up and puts his finger to the glass. He then comments

“Wow, i've never seen such a bright light befo-”

The entire classroom is immediately illuminated with bright red and yellow gleaming lights. He falls to the ground, holding his finger next to his stomach and he turns towards us with bloodshot eyes. His entire body then turns a light red. Everybody rushes over as he starts screaming inaudible words, and all the sudden everybody in the class starts to scream too.

“HEY” I yell after realizing and processing 

what is happening

Everybody but me and another immediately passes out from the immense pain of the burns. I grab the other kid by the arm and we rush downstairs. We progress further down the stairs and begin to hear wailing and screaming and then followed by in-sync bangs from them passing out. I then decide it's time to never see the light again without something blocking the rays from hitting my skin.

I hear large amounts of metal creaking and bending, almost like the buildings melting. I remember at this current moment there is a bathroom located on the Sub-level floor that me and my friends joked about being a bomb shelter before and decided to head there. I then thought to myself, this guy who I'm holding hasn’t said a word to me at all.

I look over at him, and I can tell he is fully conscious and breathing right.

“Hey man you haven’t said a word man-” im cut off by

“They’re dead aren’t they? All of them? They’re not sleeping are they? Oh my god?.”

He then vomits all over, and acts like he’s going to pass out

“HEY, DON’T YOU DARE PASS OUT DA--” 

The third floor ceiling collapses and suddenly the school turns into a microwave. I sigh, look over and he’s on the floor passed out. I sigh (Mainly due to this being the fourth time I've been cut off) pick him up and sprint the fastest I have ever gone down stairs before. 

The only thing in my mind is that bathroom and keeping my speed and balance maintained. All the sudden, I hear the cracking of a loudspeaker, but about 100 times more fluent and louder than I have ever heard before, almost like it was in my head.

“Congratulations. You have all been chosen. Submit. To. The. Sun.”

The sound stops and I realize the bathroom is right in front of me. I sprint over and realize that I feel oddly light. I look over, the man is turning to ash.

I drop him, afraid that whatever is turning him that way might spread, and into the bathroom and lock the door. I turn on my phone, trying to see if I can figure out if there is anyone out there that is in the living, then I realize that the phone lines and phone towers have bit the dust. There are more metal banging noises and cracking of the cement that I can hear, but I think I'm fine due to the thickness of the ceiling above me.

I then turn on my flashlight on my phone and look around for water, and anything of use. 

Literally anything. As I look around, I notice there is a far corner with a desk, table, a few buckets and supplies and lastly a mirror. I walk in, and turn left. There is some rations in the janitor's closet and some water too. I then turn right and look at myself for what is the first time since the sun and last. My skin is blood red, and my vanes are the only other color except faint orange that is visible through my skin. I look down, and all the sudden my vision is blurry. As I look back to the mirror I think "TRUST THE SUN. IT GUIDES YOU."

It feels like it's been hours,years ,days. I can't keep track of time, and I don't even know

Screeching fills the air. My mind blurs. Reality is changing as I blink and think. And all of a sudden, everything is back to normal. I look up and I see myself, I lift my hands, normal. I look at arms, normal. I look up again. I don't think my mind can handle what has happened. I feel my pulse skyrocket. My legs collapse and my vision goes black. The last thing I think before I fall unconscious is…

"DON'T MOVE"

"He's regaining consciousness."

"What are we supposed to do in this situation?"

"Why won't you listen?"

I realize that I'm hearing past disputes and trauma I've had before, and it's all coming back now.

"He's awake." Someone would've or might've said if I knew

"Why isn't he moving then?" 

I recognized my dad's concerned voice in the background. Suddenly, I feel a touch on my head and sharp pain.

"He's conscious but he isn't under control of any of his body. I don't know much about this at this point. This has never occurred before."

The doctor sounded confused yet confident in his statement. I tried to open my eyelids, but they weren't opening. So, I tried speaking. My mouth opened and formed words but no sound came out of my mouth.

"Listen, he isn't paralyzed, he is just in deep shock for some reason. Has he had any traumatic experiences recently?" The doctor said, (I assumed he was a doctor, though I can't see)

"I don't believe so, but I did notice something earlier while I was walking with him here. His skin turns red for a second and then turns back. I thought I was hallucinating, but I figured it would be worth to bring up"

"AHHHHH--"

I finally regain access to all of my body, and I fall and hit the floor. I curl into a ball and start shaking rapidly, hitting my head against the desk near the wall. I then stop, and think to myself 'Was that a dream?'

No, not possible. I could feel everything that happened as if it were hell itself. Every single time I hit the floor. The heat. The sweat evaporating from my shoulders. The ash of the man who died right in my hands. Everything was very real.

The feeling of imminent death. The noise from the loudspeaker. The sound of metal melting and bending over and shaping into what was the road. Everything that I felt, felt so real. It seems impossible, improbable and even immeasurable that that happened. I stand up and sit down in the chair. I can't explain this to anybody, not even my dad. I can barely breathe whilst being in remembrance that I was in immediate earlier.

I sprint out the door

"$@_&#? WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"

I stop and look back. Why didn't he say my name? My name? What is…

I drop my arms and standstill and turn and run as fast as I can. That's not my dad. That's not my dad. 

I hear sprinting behind me and quickly realize that whatever that is, is a lot faster than me currently. So, I do what any would and absolutely FALL straight on my face. I get up and realize that the running has stopped.

Now FINALLY I do something worth my time and run EVEN FASTER. I floor it and reach the front doors and almost run straight out the door. Then I remember that 'dream' that I had felt so real. I put my ear to the door and heard the wind rustling. It almost feels like there are birds chirping. I immediately open the door, and behind it remains a brick wall with the words

"Look behind you"

I turn around and there's nothing there. I then back into the brick wall and realize it's wallpaper. It rips and I fall straight down into pure blackness. You can see the faint outline of the hospital fade into black and the emptiness open wide enough for the faint outline of any sort of wall to disappear. It's baseline oblivion. My vision slowly fades as I fall unconscious yet again.

"You. Can't. Ever. Win."

"Months, years, days. Time that has passed doesn't even matter.” I thought to myself. Not an actual quote but one that has never been incorrect.

I gain consciousness, though I don't remember falling unconscious, and suddenly I'm in an open pod-like structure with the name ‘Edward White Jr’. on the cover of it. The tubes that lined my body and the pads and also some metal beams came off my body. 

“Edwards. It's been awhile.” 

“Who are you?” 

“I am your new God. Know. Your. Place.”

His eyes turned white, Hair turned a goldish blond, and his body shone with light. It was the most beautiful and disastrous sight one could see. My vision fluttered, and he grabbed me by the throat. He started to lift me, and suddenly we were in what looked to be the hot sahara desert 

“GIVE IN TO THE SUN!”

He snapped his fingers, and the sun slowly turned red again. He turned into the spitting image of lucifer. His eyes filled with red, his hair pure black. It was horrifying, almost like I was looking at the sole beneficiary of death himself. I was tricked into this, not that I had a choice anyway. There was a luring thought in my head that entered every corner of my mind

“THE SUN, IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL. WE SHOULD GET CLOSER. NOW.” 

I immediately dig in the sand, hoping to get away from the rays of the sun…

‘What if I just gave up?’

This was the only thought that was mine. The ONLY one that was truly mine. I could feel the shirt on back… what's left of it, start heating up.

“Stop resisting. You’ll only die tired. Give In.” he yells

After that comment  I realized now, I am not Edward White. I am…

THE END.

Chapter two of my first story. Enjoy. Chapter 3, 4, 5 and 6 will be posted at a later date.

Chapter 2

Press on

The sand suddenly caves in, and I go with it. When I'm midair, I turn just in time to see the last of… whatever… THAT was. With his anguished face looking straight at me. I then fell a little longer, And hit the ground.

“God da-” I say

I feel a sudden rush to the brain. I try moving my arms, and they lift for a second and drop. I then move my legs, and I breathe a sigh of relief, because I thought that paralyzed me. I try to stand, and I get about half way up until the pain is so much that I collapse down on one knee. I then push through, and stand. I then take a step, and another

“Sh##, this sand isn’t strong enou-” 

The sand collapses under me, causing a chasm to open up. I quickly grab onto a rock, and hold on for dear life.

“Where are you? You may not hide from #$#$%.” Someone very distant yet very close said.

Why does that keep happening?

“WHO ARE YOU?” I scream, hoping for a answer

“There you are…”

I'm immediately lifted into the air, and moved at what seems to be the speed of light. My head is rushing, and feels as if I'm in two places at once. Everything turns white for a hair over a millisecond, and then I realize I'm back on the surface. My arms suddenly feel… numb. 

“...What the… AHH-”

The sand has punctured all the way through my arms, and now they’re holding on by a thread. The sand starts rapping around my legs, slowly blocking circulation off

“STOP IT. THAT HURTS D-” 

I'm immediately cut off by sand puncturing my chest. It’s as if I'm in a crucifixion in the 1600s, But instead it's sand and I'm NOT DYING.

“You. Will. Die. This will be very painful.”

He pulls out the biggest sword I have ever seen in my life, almost as if this is some sort of fan fiction movie overhaul, and then proceeds to slowly bring it down.

“Submit. To. The. Sun.”

The sword immediately comes down, and I close my eyes… Relief. I don’t have to suffer anymore. Everything is pure white, and i think i'm in heaven, in happiness, i open my eyes with a smile

“AGHHH” he screams

“How am i alive?”

Damnit! NOW DIE”

He brings the sword down another time, and it stops about 3 feet from my face. I wince, and the sword goes from a dark, Crimson black, to having white and red cracks the size of my arms on each side. The sword then dissipates into ash and a beautiful yet devastating explosion of white, yellow, red, orange and a sudden beam of black punctures the sky, just at the right angle where it’s pointing straight at the sun.

“Oh god, not again” I mutter

The beam turns a bright orange. Suddenly, I see a large yellow and golden rift with white at the ends rip into thin air, and it emits a sound wave strong enough to shatter bullet-proof glass.

It also produces a sound wave strong enough to knock me on my back and almost tear the little bit of flesh keeping my arms connected to my body. Everything goes white, and I feel a sense of relaxation and relief. Then, everything is normal. I mean EVERYTHING.

I'm sitting at the desk in the corner of the room, like how it was before. Everything was there that was before. I look down at myself, and realize all the cuts, scars, breaks and anything else that happened is gone.

I raise my hand "Can I use the restroom?" 

"That's fine, Calvin." The teacher says

Calvin? Calvin? I'm so out of it right now, I forgot my NAME? Calvin Silver. My name. Calvin Jack Silver. My full name. I head the way to the restroom. I walk in, and shut the door and lock it. I took a look in the mirror after a little hesitation, after all, the last time I looked I was different… thing. 

“Come. Meet me” I hear in my head

Reality shifts like it did before, this time being pure white instead of black.

“What in the hollywood…” I say

“Hello, Calvin.” a voice says

I turn around, and I see an Angel the size of a four-story building.

“Welcome” The ‘Angel’ says

“What the HELL, are YOU?”

“DO NOT SPEAK OF HELL” He yells

He then slams his foot and causes a rupture into the clouds below us, causing a sudden burst of lightning splits the lower sky below us, and I can just about see the ground.

“I have saved YOU. I DO NOT DO THIS TO EVERYONE.” He says angrily

I shoot my hands up, realize my position, and fall on my knees

“Let me… retry?” I say

“Fine.” he says 

“Who are you?”

“Why must you concern yourself with the names of the angels and devils?” he asks

“You have a name, don't you? I figured that anybody of religious beliefs would have something to go by.”

“We’ll, you’d be disappointed. Humans and animals have no need to concern themselves with learning the names of the gods. And I believe YOU are the former.” he says, as clear as I've ever heard. 

“I Have no name” he exclaims

“What?” I say

“I have no name, but I am known by one thing. One thing only.” He says

He sounds almost sad, like he just said something that has been a burden for years.

“So, why DON’T you have a name?” I ask

“The Eternal said it had no purpose. I am the first in this world and probably the last. An endless being has no reason for a name”

“So, What are you ‘known’ by then?” I say.

“Nothing important” he says

“You’re not known by anything? Not a name or anything? Okay, then how do those who know about you think of you?” I say

“They call me the First. And those of the lower call me the Guardian. The lower being your kind who has seen me. And trust me, There are little who have seen me with their eyes. You will be the 4th, Calvin. And the second to ever have a conversation with me or an Angel.

"What was that anyway?" I ask

"You mean who? That was Mammon, Lucifer's son. I brought you here for one reason. In everybody's eyes, you have killed him. He is dead because of you." He says

"HE'S DEAD?" I say

"Yes. Angel's and Devil's die everyday. It's just not everyday that a human would kill a high standing demon. And especially not Lucifer's son." He Answers

"I thought you killed… sent him back to hell?" I say

"Do NOT mention that place in this heavenly place. I will NOT tolerate that." He says

"But no. Wait. SO HOW DID YOU KILL HIM?" He says

"I… uh… don't know."

" WHAT DO YOU-" He answers

He looked furious and confused at the same time. I was beginning to think I was making him pretty angry with me.

"I have tried for six years to kill Mammon. And finally when he's dead. Finally after you have found him. He is killed by someone who does not understand how he killed him? Is that what you're telling me?" He says angrily

"Okay. Hold up." I say "I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT MY LIFE HAS BEEN FOR WHAT HAS BEEN THE LAST CENTURY. TWENTY MINUTES AGO, I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW MY NAME." I yell back

"Okay" he says "What happened during the dispute." He says

"He put sand throughout my body. Gave me multiple amputations, and pulled a sword out on me and swung it down. Some sort of barrier came out of thin air and stopped it." I say.

"The rest I know." He says

We take the next 10 minutes to contemplate

what has happened. I think about if he knows what has been happening to me this entire time.

"Can… uh… I meet g-" I'm cut off

"No" he says

"I don't see why not. After all, I just killed a powerful demon." I say

"You wanna meet God. Gotta die. That's how it is. All though, you could meet Lucifer!" He says

A beam of black light tears the beautiful white and gold sky of heaven and makes a rift between

"Close the portal." I say

"As you wish" he says

The rift disappears and the beam slowly lowers back down to what is probably hell.  I think to myself a minute of what actually might’ve happened if he sent me there.

"So, how far did that go down?" I ask

"Far enough." He Answers

This First Angel is starting to get on my nerves. But, I hold my temper to myself, scared that he might send me somewhere I don't want to be.

"Hey. So, is there a reason you brought me down here other than the death of mo- Lucifer's son?" I say

"Just say his name-, nevermind. That's not important. What IS important, is that you don't touch the surface for a couple of years." He says

"The demons don't know that you killed Mammon. Lucifer Himself thinks it is me who killed him. I don't care if he thinks it's me, but if he has even one thought that it's you, he will attack the entirety of the human race. For now, and the next 4 years you will stay in heaven. No exceptions." He says

"Quick question." I say 

"how do you know it was me who killed him?" I ask

"I can sense that you're the only one with enough power to defeat him. Especially, because no single being has ever seen that sword. No single angel has ever witnessed it." He says

"So, what about those…" I stutter

"What do you mean?" He says

"What about the things happening recently? Why has that been happening?" I ask

" What exactly are you talking about? Was this a dre-" he's cut off

"No. This was all real. This felt like it happened." I say

"What exactly happened, Calvin?" He says

"I was sitting in the classroom. And all of a sudden everybody in the room gathered by the window. The room flashed red, and everybody immediately… died. They had burns all over their body and their eyes were blood red. I took the last person by the hand-" I'm cut off

"Who was this 'person'?" He asks

"He was… I… don't know?" I respond 

He all the sudden shrinks to the size of a natural human. He then…

"Is this who you dragged along?" He asks

“Yes, that is,” i stop

“This man has been dead for 3 years, calvin.” he says

He then turns back into his original for

“That's, you know, surprising and all, but here's the question I have for you. Can you read-”im cut off

“Your mind?” he says “Partially. I can only read thoughts through emotional or traumatic experiences. Though, I don't know what you mean by what has happened before.” he says

I think really hard about the experiences I had earlier

“Try now” I say

I think back to the start of the ‘incident’ and how it affects me and this other man. I remember the others screaming and wailing and the first to go holding his finger to his stomach.

“I cannot see this for some reason. This is odd. I can tell it’s traumatic, but I cannot see.” He says 

The memories flood like open seawater entering a ship with a giant hole in the hull. I’m immediately brought back into the experience

“No, I DON’T W-!”

Im brought back into the white prison… Heaven…

“What just…” he says

He steps back, just far enough for me to see that he is right next to me.

"What the…" I say

My legs drop, head bobs up just barely enough to see the angel, and I worry this might be the last I see of him.

“They’re all dead aren’t they?”

“He’s not paralyzed.”

“I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT MY LIFE HAS BEEN-”

I’m further remembering my recent past experiences as if they were memories that were stuck in my head for years.

‘It’s been fun, but I believe it’s time to… end the show.’ 

“Submit. To. The. Sun.”

‘WHO IN THE WORLD IS GIVING ME THESE THOUGHTS?’

My entire vision is gone, I only see black. I have my thoughts, and I can still feel my body. I am completely still, no movement whatsoever. I move my hands to my face and wipe the sweat I can see from the stress of what just happened. 

“I… Where… Whatever. I'm tired.” I say to myself

I feel my eyes close, and I sigh. This is the first time in a while I have been able to relax and be calm. I feel myself dozing off…

‘Let’s… go back a bit, shall we?’ 

All of a sudden I feel as if I'm falling. I open my eyes, and it’s black still. I’m gaining speed by the second, and all of the sudden my body is visible. Everything is black still, but my body is visible. I look left, Black. I look right, Black. 

‘Now, lights on.’

The blackness breaks, and  the sky cracks into view. The sun is a bright yellow, and is right in vision, as it was. The falling acceleration isn’t moving, so I know there is something in my way from hitting the ground and dying. I look down, and i'm right over that exact same town I was in before

‘Go. Now.’ 

‘Find who you are. Truly.’

‘Only then, can you realize what your past truly is.’

My head feels dizzy, like that feeling before I went to heaven. I try to scream, but It’s too loud for anyone, including me, to hear.

‘Good. Luck.’