Drugs | Teen Ink

Drugs

By justanearthw0rm, Sharpsburg, Kentucky
justanearthw0rm, Sharpsburg, Kentucky

The main character's name is pronounced (NEW-ALI)

Her eyes opened again as she looked down at the yellow, cinnamon scented flower in her hand. She wondered why something like that could trigger such a memory. “What is this place and why is this happening?..” She questioned out loud. All of this was so strange. What could a cinnamon scented flower have to do with anything that night? She could only remember waking up within a forest after what had only felt like a few hours.

......

Neulai, a student who unexpectedly stayed permanently, walked out of her last period of the day. She had only lived there for 3 years, but she had made a few friends. One of which, Cecilia, invited her to a party; hosted by a senior at Lakewood High School. “Are you doing anything later? Like, 8 or 8:30 tonight?” Cecilia asked while checking her matte lipstick in Neulai’s locker mirror. “Nothing I know of currently.” The light brown haired teen replied. She closed her locker and picked up her bag. “Why?” 

“Because Oliver’s having a party tonight. Everyones going.” Neulai glanced over and back again as they started to walk outside. 

“I don’t know man. You know parties aren’t my kind of setting.” They stopped as Cecilia whined, 

“Oh my god. You’ve never been to a party! Especially one here! Like, I’ve literally never seen you go anywhere other than the store or home.” Neulai rolled her eyes and unlocked her bike from the rack. 

“Fine. I’ll text you at..” 

“8:30.” Cecilia grinned before strutting away towards her car.

The entire bike ride home, she couldn’t lie, was excited. All her thoughts consisted of what she would wear. Or who she might meet. She finally arrived at her house. As she laid her bike against the side of the garage, she checked the time. 4:28. Only 3 hours and 32 minutes until she’d go. 

Before she knew it, it was time to text Cecilia. She sent the text and finished some final touches to her makeup. Then she turned off her bedroom lights and walked downstairs. “Where are you going?” Neulai’s father asked. 

“Oh! I forgot to tell you earlier. I’m going to Cecilia's tonight. If that’s okay?” A part of her wanted him to say no. But then again, maybe she’d like it. Maybe she’d like meeting people other than Cecilia and her other friend Sarah. Sarah was more of a distant friend than Cecilia. She typically hung out with other people considering she was in a grade above Neulai. 

“Oh, okay. Just be safe and back by tomorrow at 7.” He spoke, turning back to his computer screen. Neulai then heard Cecilia's car horn honk outside. 

“Okay,” she agreed. She turned towards the front door before opening it and closing it. 

“Wow. I didn’t think you’d actually not bail!” Cecilia exclaimed when she entered the vehicle.  Neulai just chuckled and buckled her seat belt. 

“So are you excited? I mean, this is your first party like, ever right?” Cecilia questioned, glancing over at her. 

“Oh, uh, yeah. No one ever invites me to anything.” 

“What’d you mean? I invite you places all the time!” 

“I know, but I’m never in the mood.” 

“Well you’re gonna be tonight!” 

“Yeah.” 

Neulai said before they pulled up towards a curb full of different cars and people. “Oh my god!” 

“Exactly! Like I said, you’ve never been to a party like this before! Let’s go!” She exclaimed before almost jumping out of her car. Neulai nervously opened her car door and stepped out onto the dark sidewalk. 

The wind brushed against the girls’ skin as they made their way through the arguing or talking people on the front lawn towards the door. Cecilia knocked of course, for it to be opened by the senior host himself, Oliver. He opened it wider to let them in. As soon as they stepped a few feet inside, it already reeked. And within 5 minutes. Cecilia had run off somewhere to talk to someone she saw or get a drink. Neulai walked around for a bit before getting a drink and sitting down on Oliver’s couch. Eventually Cecilia had found Sarah somewhere and came back over to her. “There you are!” Cecilia shouted over the loud music blasting from the speakers 10 yards away from them. “Look who I found!” She pointed towards Sarah, who smiled. 

“We haven’t talked in a while!” 

“I know right?” 

“Come on! Let’s go do something! Dance? I mean, I’m pretty sure he has a pool.” Sarah suggested. They giggled and walked outside into the backyard. 

Neulai set down her drink on the glass table. She made her way over towards the edge before getting pushed in by someone. She gasped. Once she resurfaced, she looked back to see Sarah giggling. “What was that for?” she yelled. 

“Calm down, it was only a joke!” she replied. Another splash erupted  as Sarah collided with the water. She laughed and began splashing Neulai with the chlorine filled liquid. 

It didn’t take long for them to get cold and bored. They climbed out of the water into the cool air and grabbed their drinks from the table. Cecilia had gotten out just a bit before them, so as soon as they entered the house again she walked up to them. She started talking to Sarah and almost ignored Neulai. Although, she didn’t mind. All she was focused on was how much fun partying really was. Something about the bright LED lights, the loud, booming music, the variety of teenagers amused her. “Okay. Now do you wanna dance or what?” Neulai energetically stepped towards the center of the room with Cecilia and Sarah following behind. Everything else was a blur. All she could remember was how it felt like she was the only one there, as she danced and took large gulps from the cheap, red plastic cup. Before long, her vision went hazy. 

“Are you feeling okay?” Sarah questioned as she patted her back lightly. 

“I think I’m gonna go lay down..” Neulai replied before stumbling away towards the staircase. She went to the first unoccupied room she could find and collapsed on the bed.

......

Neulai continued her walk through the dense trees. Something drew her in; it made her want to know more. There was no sound other than the small twigs snapping underneath her feet as she walked. Neulai noticed the ground become damp. As she continued, it felt as if the ground and world around her had caved in. She came in contact with the dark water. She was unable to move; like she was paralyzed. All Neulai was able to do was accept her fate, as she slowly sank towards the bottom. If there was one that is.

......

Neulai’s 13th birthday, 2019. Her family had just moved to the small town of Saint Micheals, Maryland all the way from Oregon. She hadn’t lived there for very long, but still had managed to make a few friends. Cecilia, Sarah, Olivia and Paige. The backyard was filled with a swing set, back porch, an above ground pool and a few tables with presents and such scattered around. “After we open presents, can we go swimming Mrs. Gardner?” Olivia asked politely as she handed Neulai one of the last few gifts.

“Of course!” She smiled and turned back to her daughter who was picking at the birthday patterned wrapping paper. 

A few presents later, all the girls had changed into their bathing suits and jumped in the pool. Neulai was talking to Paige when all of a sudden Cecilia swam over and held her underneath the water. In a panic, she threw her hands upwards and started flailing around in an attempt to reach the surface. She could feel the chemical filled water replacing the oxygen in her lungs. The burning as it went into her nose and down her windpipe. Then Cecilia let go. Neulai shot out of the water in shock, betrayal and panic. They all just laughed as if almost drowning her was funny.

......

She could finally move again. She swam aggressively towards the surface. Once Neulai reached the top she gasped for air. Soon, she realized she wasn’t in that cave anymore. She was in a small pond in a clearing between the trees that seemed to go up forever. She couldn’t understand how she had gotten into this situation. The memories from the party flashed through her mind. Who could’ve done this? She thought. Why would they? Neulai couldn’t think of anyone. She’d never been into a major conflict with anyone, let alone someone who’d spike her drink. She tried to recall anyone suspicious or may have just not seemed to like her. No one. 

Neulai continued to walk and ponder who it could be. A bright red flower bush came into view. With maroon leaves and crimson thorns, something made her want to touch them. Her feet dragged themselves across the mossy, root covered ground. She remembered the red cup she had in her hand as she wrapped her hand around the stem enveloped in crimson thorns. Memories of when she herself had poured the powder and cinnamon into her best friend's drink. 

......

Neulai walked into the grand kitchen. Sarah had asked her to get drinks. Something sinister had taken over Neulai. She remembered all the times she had caught Sarah gossiping about her behind her back. The times they’d gotten into fights for no reason. 

She stared down at the drink mixture she’d just created. Neulai smiled as she grabbed the plastic cup. She waked back out towards Sarah and Cecilia. “Come on! Let’s go do something! Dance? I mean, I’m pretty sure he has a pool.” Sarah suggested. Then, it hit her. 

“Are you feeling okay?” Sarah questioned.

It hit her as she remembered what really happened that night. How she was the one who stupidly poisoned herself. 

“That drink was supposed to be hers!” Neulai screamed. How idiotic of her to just grab a random cup off of the table. Her world began to fall apart. She knew this was it now. There wasn’t a way to un-ingest the drug. She sat down and awaited her demise. Neulai’s stomach began to turn as her vision went hazy. The ‘world’ around her became more saturated and faded into a blindingly bright light. She closed her eyes for the last time, feeling the pain in her stomach and the ringing in her ears cease.