Emily's Story | Teen Ink

Emily's Story

January 20, 2012
By hayhay93, HUTCHINSON, Kansas
More by this author
hayhay93, HUTCHINSON, Kansas
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I woke up that morning before the sun had rose. My house guest was just retiring to his chambers. Sir Cornelius was an odd fellow. I was at the young age of sixteen, an age where I should have been getting married.

Cornelius was not your average person, of course he was average height, and build, but his eyes had a spark to them, his skin was paper white, and he was never up during the day. The town’s people called him “vampyer” or “demon” but to me he was a father.

As I got up that morning, I felt an ominous feeling lurking around, something was going to happen. All the sudden there was a knock at my door, and it became open.


“Ma’am? Ms. Emily? Are you awake?” a male voice asked.


I pulled my covers to my chest, and replied, “Yes, of course, I am… Is that you father….Cornelius?”


As the figure walked closer to my bed, I saw it wasn’t Cornelius, but his servant, “Ma’am, may I come, and sit?”

I nodded and he sat in the chair by my bed.


“Ms. Emily… oh dear,” he struggled with his words, “…. How do I say this…? Mr. Cornelius is a dangerous man,” he said quietly.


I laughed, “Dangerous? What do you mean? Like he kills kittens?”


He looked at seriously, “You have heard the rumors going around, haven’t you?”

I rolled my eyes; everyone had heard the rumors of my father.


“What if all of the rumors had been true? If Cornelius was what they say?” he looked me in the eye, to the point it scared me.

I laughed the fear off and looked him dead in the eyes, “You’re a crazy, a mad man!”


He looked down and got up to leave, shaking his head, “Just let it be know, that I warned you….”

I thought silently to myself, ‘That was the last time I smiled.’ Coming back to the present, I walked a little faster, because I could smell a familiar scent. The wonderful yet awful smells of spring rain and honey, very strong and to close for confront. Though it was hard to walk through all the snow that had accumulated during the day before, I was going as fast as I could go with out using the little bit of power I had to levitate above the ground.

I heard the muffled sound of Riot by Three Days Grace and pulled out my phone. The number was familiar, Audrey (local maser).

I pressed the talk button frantically.


“Talk! Now!” was how I answered.


“A vampire has been spotted north of the high school, coming your way. Come home as fast as you can. It’s not one of ours,” then he hung up as he always did.

Though cellular phones have been around a long time, Audrey still thought them as the “devil’s tool”. I guess being born in the 1000’s was does that to you. I have grown used to the modern world of technology, but my dear Drey, Audrey hasn’t.

I was thinking about which house he wanted me to go to, when I looked at my hand the numbers seemed to fade from my vision. I looked up at the moon and remembered for the first time in a long time, the night I was made.

Months after Cornelius servant was sent off for distributing my sleep, Cornelius came to me at mid-night.


“My child, I’ve been thinking about a present for your birthday next week and I’d like to give it to you now,” he smiled and I swear I saw a gleam on the corner of his mouth.


“Father, I want nothing. You have kept this house for me, you have kept everything normal. There is nothing you can give me,” I smiled at him.


He laughed, “Then I shall let you sleep dear child.”

I drifted to sleep feeling a bit uneasy. I remember thing about the morning that man came and warned me, wondering was it true.

I woke up thinking ‘What’s wrong? Why am I just now waking up?’ Then there was a pang in my stomach, a hunger pang but it was night time, and it was an eerie feeling. I ran my tongue across my teeth and felt it…. two sharp pointed things in my mouth. I rang my bell calling for a servant to come to me.

Lillian came in; she had come with Cornelius and his people. She kept her head down, not looking at me,


“Yes’ am, Madam Emilee,” her southern draw was thick and you could tell she was no Yankee.

As soon as she spoke it hit me. There was some smell about her that drew me in, a salty sweet smell. I struggled to say anything.


“Cornelius…. to…. me….” I said not breathing.

She ran out of my room. I wanted to follow her and taste that smell that she gave off. Just when I jumped to follow, father was there holding me by my throat.


“Emily! Calm yourself!” he yelled as I looked at him, instantly calmed by just his presents.

He let go of my throat and laughed at me.


“You are stronger than I thought you would be. Now let me explain to you what has happened since you have been sleep for so long. You had got so sick; I hadn’t come to see you in some days. You slept for a week straight, by the time I got here…. You were almost dead. I made you into a vampire, Emily. Like Me, you will feed off the blood of the living.”

For some reason, it was like a bad taste in my mouth, I knew what he said was lies. I said nothing, I was too afraid of what would come out of my mouth if I said anything. Truth was I was sick, but that came after the fact that I was almost dead. He continued to feed me lies,


“You can leave me anytime you wish, you can tell me to leave and I will,” he paused, “But let us go out in the moonlight.”

I woke up drenched in sweat, my hair plastered to my face. Audrey was lying next to me, I looked at him but before I could even ask he was already explaining.

“It was not Father, it was Fathers dark Father. And you fainted…. Again, we need to take you to Towns, see if you’re with child again. A man found you and brought you home, you should thank him, if we ever see him again.”

I just blinked at him, wondering now were my daughter was, again,

“She’s ok Frank has her, he is teaching her more sign language, let’s look around for her.”

Audrey helped me out of bed and smiled at me taking me hand. Audrey was my husband and had been for about 200 years. Our daughter was a three; she has his eyes, lavender and my blonde hair. Her name was Katlyna.

I got up and looked out the window and smiled, they were playing in the snow. Frank was a sign language guru, Katlyna was deaf. We learn as she learns, she is a vampire child, and has the power to communicate through touch. We enjoy it but when she started school she couldn’t do that to her teacher. She goes to a school and Frank goes with her.

Vampire children don’t go to public school. Since Doctor Towns made it to where vampire could breed, he also made a school. Doctor Towns is Audrey’s great-great-great-great grandson from when he was human. Audrey had a wife and kids before he was changed.

“They are making a snow man, she looks happy,” I looked over at Audrey.

“She was up all night talking about you, asking were you were, why you didn’t tuck her in last night,” he shrugged and hugged me, “I told her that it was mommy’s job to protect us from the bad guys. Honey maybe you should step down from you’re post and be more of a mother, and wife.”

I pulled away from him, “You’re the head of the vampire council, you put me in this post, and I love it. I love you and our daughter, but to me, my life is balanced.”

I walked out of the bed room to the bathroom and looked in the mirror, was I being a bad mother for not being home, maybe, but I had to deal with things that not one of my people have ever dealt with before. I had to find my dark Father, I had to kill him, and make him pay for what he had done. For the people he had killed over the years, everyone told me that he was dead but in my heart I knew he was still alive, and killing more people over the years.

“Come my darling, I want you to meet someone,” Cornelius told me taking my hand and leading me down the stairs.

At the bottom of the stairs, was a man like us. He was a vampire, I could tell my how graceful he was. He stood at about six feet, had the most beautiful lavender eyes and a wonderful smile. He had lovely brown hair, everything about him was inviting.

“My darling, this is Audrey, he has traveled a long way to come with us on you’re first hunt, Audrey this is the Emily. Emily is our newest member of our family,” Cornelius introduced us to one another.

I was blushing hard but I curtsied, “How do you do, Mr. Audrey?”

“Please just Audrey, I am well.” He smiled that wonderful smile.

“The horses are ready, my lord,” one of the servants had stopped to say.

We all walked out the door, Father first, then myself and Audrey followed behind me. We got on the horses and rode. Being a girl I was to ride side saddle, but I never had and never did. When it seemed like an hours ride we stopped in small town. The town was quite, everyone was sleeping, and not even the tavern was open.

Cornelius was the first to get of his horse. He looked at us and smiled. Audrey gave me a hand down and looked at me.

“Emily, this is you’re first time with him on a hunt that is why I have come, to show you not all of us agree with his ways, when I say don’t look I mean don’t look.”

I nodded, “I will listen to you’re warning.”

Father went in to a small adobe house and grabbed a sleeping child from his mother’s arms. He came out of the house, “Look at what I do my Emily!”

He ripped the head off of the child and laughed covered in its blood, the baby didn’t even have time to cry. Audrey turned my head but I knew that Father was drinking the blood of the enfant.

Audrey whispered in my ear, “One day you won’t be with him, one day soon I will take you away from it all.”

Though Audrey barely knew me he was already madly in love with me just as I him. That day I knew he was speaking the truth. Audrey helped me on my horse then left. I stayed and watched my dark Father kill more people trying to get me to join him. I refused him every time. On the ride home not a word was said.

Later that night he took me in the carriage to a place I didn’t know, a place I had never been. He knocked on the door and trough me in to a woman’s arms, “Take her and break her so that she is like us. I won’t have another Audrey on my hands! IS THAT CLEAR!!!”

The woman mumbled a “yes” and he left me there in the arms of a stranger. She hugged me, “Emily it will be ok, I will keep you safe until your prince has a place for you to live, I know Audrey he has already came to me this night. But one thing is for sure you will be a vampire yet, you must try to drink the most life giving force till he gets here.”

I didn’t know what she meant but I had a feeling I wouldn’t like it.

I woke up in the hospital not knowing how I got there but Audrey was there and I was safe. I was not in that world I once lived in. I was hooked up to many machines, I was at the St. Mary’s hospital, also know to our kind as Lycan General. Witches, Lycans, Vampires, Fairies, Others and unknowns, they were the doctors, teachers, and students. Lycan General was also a medical school, with night classes for the night crawlers of the earth, and day classes for anyone else that could be there. My doctor here was named Nicca, well that’s what we called her, and she was going by an assumed name because of her family.

“Hey there, Emily! Long time no see, what are you doing here, I gave you a clean bill of health,” she looks at the chart, “three….years ago. Emily that was after Katlyna, you should have been here sooner not now. You know I told you there are things that are unexplained about the things me and Towns came up with.”

“I know, I know but I have a family that I must fight to protect, I must protect my people, you and everyone else have so much faith in me that I can’t let you all down!” I held my head.

“But Emily if you don’t get the rest you need, you will go in to a coma. And I won’t be able to help you. You are having flashbacks from when my uncle took you; you are seeing things that I don’t understand. Maybe if you just took a break for a week or two then maybe I could get some blood levels on you, see if maybe you have an infection or something,” She looked at Audrey, “She needs to take sometime off. You are the boss; you must take her contract invalid for a week at least.”

My contract stated that I was to watch the city with five others. One vampire, one fairy, one lycan, one witch, and an unknown, each of us walked the city all night till morning then we went about our days. Vampires thought of this because of our enemies, everyone agreed that if they were enemies to the vampires then they could possible be enemies to everyone else. The lycans agreed only because of there “hunters”, witches agreed because most are bonded with a vampire, and the unknown they just wanted a place in our community. Fairies, they are not the cute little Disney creatures we all know and love, they are warriors, they fight because its in their blood, that’s why they agreed.

“But who will take my place??” I asked

Then in came in Bone. Bone was a vampire, but also a witch. He stood at about five-eleven, with silver eyes and hair. If vampires could age he would be as old as dust. Bone was back from prehistory. And that was all we knew, he could talk but that was only after a vocal cord transplant. He would never tell us what it was like back then, mostly because we had had the best scientist in history. Isaac Newton, who now was known as Newton Isaac, he didn’t want people to know he was a scientist. He has the power to transform shapes, that being why you have pictures of an old man. Bone looked at me and smiled.

“Emily, after my surgery you took my place on the watch, I will be more than happy to be back on the watch till Dr. Nicca lets you come back,” Bone smiled bigger.

I knew Bone missed the job, I would let him take it for the week or two.

I smiled, “Thank you, I know that the watcher will follow you.”

He nodded and kissed me on the cheek and left. Bone would love to be back, I would miss work but it’s my own fault.

“Now you will be in the hospital for a couple of days, we will run test. Audrey have a guard outside her room switch rotation every 12 hours. She is our queen after all,” Nicca smiled and winked.

I winced I hadn’t used that title in years. I hated everyone calling me that so it was simply Emily.

“Of course, I will set it up. I love you my soul mate,” Audrey said as he walked out.

“I love you too,” I mumbled as I drifted off to sleep



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.