Angel | Teen Ink

Angel

May 22, 2012
By HoloWise PLATINUM, Chicago, Illinois
More by this author
HoloWise PLATINUM, Chicago, Illinois
22 articles 0 photos 27 comments

"Angel, there are things I need to tell you."

That old memory still pains me.

"Yes, Aero?"

Sitting in my room, remembering her like she never left.

"You're a witch."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, you have magic powers."

I utter a bitter laugh, remembering those words, looking in a mirror. Seeing her beside me. That silly ghost. At least, that's what I used to think of her as. Just a ghost.

I lay down, looking in the mirror, letting the memory take over.

"I don't understand," I said.

"Do you remember that time when you were little? When you were at a friend's house? You were playing with a ball and your mom called. She said she was going to pick you up. You didn't want to go home, so you tried to think of ways that would want to go home, so you tried to think of ways that would make you stay longer. Then you looked at the ball and started rolling it into your shirt. As soon as you rolled it thirteen times, the doorbell rang. It was your mom. You started unrolling your shirt, but the ball wasn't there. You said so and said so and said you needed to find it because it was your friend's favorite ball. The four of you looked for hours and never found it. Finally, the next day, you rolled up your shirt and unrolled it. You found it. That's what I'm talking about."

"But, Aero, I didn't know you then."

"I knew you, Angel. I only wanted to know how much of your powers you gained back since your birth."

"What do you mean?"

"You used to be alive before you were born."

"I don't know what you mean.”

“You had died and were born again.”

“I-I-I-I died?” I stammered.

“Yes, you died.”

That really scared me. I mean, I was only nine.

“Why did I die?”

“I am not allowed to tell you that. You must learn and remember on your own. I am only here to teach you how to use and treat your magic well.”

“Why?”

“Because I am your Bond.”

“What’s a Bond?”

“A Bond is the ghost of one of the original Witches and Warlocks of the Early Years. He or She will find a witch or warlock after their death and teach them about what they need to do to go on in life or not come back. You, my dear Angel, feared Death over anything. Do you feel that fear right now?”

I nodded, crying.

“That’s why you’re here right now. You were so stubborn and intent on living, you kept being born again. And each time you were born again, I followed you to help you and teach you. But you never learned to trust Death.”

“How do you trust Death?”

“You have to learn that on your own.”

Crying, I came back to the present.

“Easy for you to say, you stupid ghost.” I put down the mirror and got up. “If you trust Death, why are you a ghost?”

I finally decided it’s time to get up. My dad woke me up an hour ago. Its 7P:07 am. He hates it when I do this.

"I shouldn't have to wake you up! In a few months, you'll be an adult." Same thing, every day.

"You'll be an adult soon," I said, mimicking him, as I got dressed. “Blah, blah, blah.”

“Finally,” he said. “Bye.”

He left. I look at the time. 7:13 am. I still have time to kill.

What do you do when there’s nothing to do?

I grabbed a piece of paper and went to the bathroom. I closed the door and turned on the vent. I put the piece of paper in the sink. Then I picked it up again to ball it up. I put it back.

I pointed at it.

“Don’t hurt my home, don’t hurt me. Start a flame where I see. This is my will, so mote it be.”

The paper started to crackle. It moved. Fire was eating its way out of the ball. It started in the center. Before it was halfway done, I picked it up. The fire licked at my fingers. It left the paper and consumed my hand. The fire jumped higher and got bigger.

“So mote it be,” I said again.

The flame went away.

Have you ever noticed how beautiful fire is? It’s amazing.

I turned off the vent and went to my room. the time said 7:28 am.

"Wow, that was fast."

I laughed. I knew the time didn't go that fast on its own. I influenced it as I was messing with the fire.

See, this is why my Aerosatan left me: I mess with fire and I mess with time. Those two are basically illegal in our world.

"Basically?" I practically laughed.

I picked up my stuff and went out the door.

“It is illegal. But I’m the most powerful witch there is. They can’t do anything to me.”

Seeing as I’ve already done it, I messed with time again. As soon as I was at the end of the driveway, the bus was there. When I got inside, I slowed down time to its original pace.

I’m getting tired. I need to grab a bite before first.

I laughed. Amanda jumped.

“What?”

“I’m thirsty.”

“Oh, well don’t look at me.”

I laughed again. She doesn’t know it, but I’ve already drank from her.

I'm a fledgling. That's another reason why my Aero left me. I became kind of evil when my boyfriend, Robert changed me eight years ago. We're not together anymore.

"I'll find a drink later, kay?"

She nodded her head, looking relieved.

The bus stopped. We were at school. That's strange. I did nothing to make it so.

I stepped out and felt a faint aura almost punch my senses.

There's another. But who?

"Hello, Angel," a voice whispered. Male.

"Who are you?" I said, under my breath.

"You'll find out soon enough."

I cursed quietly. The voice was gone. It sounded familiar.

"Alice!"

I turned around.

"Hey, Brittany!" I said, slapping a smile on my face.

She looks as good as usual.

"What happened last night?" she asked, clearly upset.

"What do you mean?"

"We had a study date? At the library? Gawd, girl, as good as your memory is, how could you forget that?"

"A lot of stuff's been on my mind. I'm sorry."

She studied my face. After about a minute, she shrugged and took my arm. She gave me a quick peck on the cheek and started leading me to class. We had first together. I hate that.

I mean, as girlfriends go, she's okay. She's not clingy and she's not too jealous. Like me, she's bisexual. But she makes sure we're partners on everything and sits next to me. Thankfully, that's my only class with her. Also a good thing: we have lunch together. That's a very good thing.

"Wait, Brittany. Before we go to class, let's go to the bathroom."

"Kay."

So we went to the bathroom.

"I'm thirsty," I whispered in her ear. "Very thirsty."

Her eyes brightened as she took off her book bag/purse. I put mine down next to hers and we went into the big stall and locked it. No one will be able to tell there's more than one person in here.

She unzipped her jacked and took it off. All she had on was a tank. I backed her against the wall and bit her shoulder. She let out a small cry. I drank. She moaned.

I only drank a mouthful when I heard that voice again.

"Bell's about to ring."

"Alice, what's the matter?" Brittany asked, out of breath.

I slid my tongue across the wound. "The bell's about to ring," I informed her.

"Okay," she said, almost sadly as she put her jacket on.

We left the stall to get our stuff and go to class. We sat down as the bell rang.

Since I know all this stuff, I spaced, letting memories take over.



I'm in Egypt. I'm a princess. My name is Anatta. I am thirteen. My father got the slave runner to get all the slaves in a row. There were eight of them.

He told me to take my pick.

He was the last one in the row. I recognized him. Aerosatan already told me what I was. I understood reincarnation. That's how I knew. It had to be him. I pointed.

"Father, I choose him."

"What's your name, boy?" my father asked him.

He stepped forward. "Anthony," he answered.

From that day forward, Anthony was my slave. But only in front of other people. In private, he was my lover and I was his. No one ever found out.



Coming out of the most recent memory, I realized how I recognized that voice.

"Anthony," I said in a whisper.

Brittany looked up at me. "What's wrong?" she whispered.

"Nothing. Well, something. I'll tell you later."

She nodded her head and went back to work.

The bell rang again.

"Took you long enough."

"Where are you?"

"Just go to class, my beautiful princess."

So I grabbed my stuff and kissed Brittany. She looked sadly at the bathroom and walked off.

I just stood there thinking. But isn't he human?

"No, my love. I'm a warlock. I was then, too, I just didn't want you to know."

My feet started moving without my permission.

"You need to go to class. You'll see me soon enough."

I slowed down time so that I won't be late.

"Keep doing that and I'll never be able to persuade Aero to come back."

That stopped me dead in my tracks.

"Aero?"

"Yes, Aero." I got an image of her in my mind. "I can help you with her."

"How, Anthony?"

"Not Anthony. Adam. Now, run!"

So I did. After I let go of my hold on time, forever losing my grip on it.

"Good girl."

"I'm not a dog," I said, walking into class, getting a strong hit on a new aura. The bell rang. "Adam?"

Mr. Williams shut the door behind me. I saw a new boy right beside my seat. He nodded his head.

"I need to talk to you," I said. He nodded his head again and got up. He walked to me. We both looked at Mr. Williams. I know he was doing the exact same thing I was doing. Making Mr. Williams let us out of the classroom.

Mr. Williams nodded his head and opened the door. He went to his desk, dazed. I turned around and swept the air around me to make those around me sweep their memories of the last five seconds. We walked out and went to the classroom next door. No one ever goes in there during this class.

I shut the door.

"Anth--Adam" I said, stopping myself.

"Alice." He walked to me and hugged me. I'll admit it, I savored the moment.

He looked at me, making me look him in the eyes. He bent my head up and kissed me.

I let him, for about a minute. I even kissed him back. Then I pulled away.

"I have a girlfriend."

I took his arms and pulled them off. I backed up...into a wall. Oops.

"I don't care," he said as he followed me. "And I know you only put up with her for blood. That's pretty low, even for you."

My eyes widened as he spoke. "How did you know?"

"I can get into your mind," he said without opening his mouth.

"Oh."

"You really need to work on walls."

"But the therapist said walls are bad."

"F*** the therapist!"

"Adam!"

"Whatever. You know therapists are stupid. They can't do anything for people like us."

And he was right. Humans think they can know the mind. But there is more to the mind than they need to know.

"And they shouldn't try to learn," Adam said, aloud this time.

"Fine, I'll work on walls."

"Look at this," he said, "we haven't seen each other for centuries and we're going at it like it was yesterday." He laughed.

I laughed too. I put my forehead on his chest. I took a deep breath.

"Angel," he whispered.

"Hmm?"

"I've missed you." He kissed the top of my head.

"I don't remember a lot," I said. "Do you?" I looked up at him.

"I remember everything," he said, kissing my neck.

Then I heard, as well as felt, my jacket being unzipped. He put his hands on my shoulders and started pushing off my jacket. As he was about to start kissing me, I pulled his hand to my mouth and bit it. I drank a little and slid my tongue on the spot. I pulled his jacket off and bit his wrist. Up his arm I went and ended on his shoulder. Through this process, I could feel his mouth on my neck, his free hand on my back.

I didn't hear it. Loud as humans are, I didn't hear it. The other door opened. There are two doors to this room. We are at the hall door. She was at the other one. The door to another classroom.

She gasped. She whispered, "Alice," and ran the other way. I only had enough time to lift my head and see her turn around.

"Brittany," I said.

"Yeah, so?" was all Adam had to say about it.

"Did you hear her?"

"Yeah."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Didn't feel the need to."

I frowned.

"Don't mess up your pretty face."

"Shut up," I said as I put on my jacket and ran after her.

"You'll be sorry."

"Shut up," I repeated.

I ran to the other room, to find that no one was in there. I expanded my mind as I closed my eyes. And shut the door...

"Brittany," I thought, "where are you? I need to explain this to you."

I heard a small intake of breath. I walked towards it.

"Brittany, please! I need to talk to you."

She looked up from her spot. She was behind a wall at the end of the room.

"No, Alice, I can't talk to you. You're my girlfriend, and you're all over some guy I've never seen before. I can't believe you would do this."

That's only because I made you see me as some precious girl that won't do anything wrong. Of course, I didn't say that part out loud.

"And, now, you won't even defend yourself! How wonderful for me. You know what? We're through."

I couldn't believe this one: It hurt to hear that come out of her mouth. The "we're through" part.

I scrunched up my face and ran out the door. I ran into Adam.

"Thanks a lot, I just lost another one. Because of some other person, in my way."

"It's not all my fault. You have some blame, too."

"Whatever, I don't want to see you right now. Goodbye."

I walked out the door into Mr. Williams’s class. Crying, I bet. I couldn't feel my numb face.

He walked in. Looking as if nothing happened. Typical. Stupid guys.

"Leave me alone, Adam, or I'll blast you to smithereens."

He just nodded and sat down and left me alone.

Wonderful. What a great way to spend the reunion with my long lost love.

Mr. Williams is still over there, at his desk, in a daze. He's just staring at the papers on his desk. And all the other students are looking at each other like glazed doughnuts. Humans. Such stupid creatures. Don't know what to do if someone's not telling them what to do.

So I said, "Everyone, just finish your homework for any other class, kay?"

People snapped out of it and got their stuff out to do whatever they wanted.

"Alice, what happened to 'Ashley,' your true name?"

"Don't talk to me about my past, you-you-aggh!"

"You don't need to talk out loud with me. I thought you already knew that."

"I don't care about that. Just leave the past in the grave I gave it."

"Alice, you can trust me."

"I know," was my last thought before it happened.

So I let it all come at once. The memories of my true name and life. The one that originated in North Carolina, not Georgia, where I'm at right now. And not Tennessee, where I was before Georgia, although there are memories there, too.

I got up. Why am I awake? I looked at my alarm clock. 1:08?!? Gawd, why now?

I walked to my bathroom to splash my face, trying to remember the reason I woke up.

"Oh, Ness!"

My phone started vibrating.

"Hey, Ness, what's up?"

"Angel, I need your special tea. I can't sleep."

"I'll be there in a minute."

I put on some jeans and my slippers. I walked down to my kitchen. I left a note on the table explaining that I need to go to Ness's house. I pulled out my homemade tea bags and turned on my heel, flashing out of the kitchen. I instantly saw different scenery. A whole different kitchen.

"Ness, I'm down here!"

I could hear the softness of her slippers coming down the stairs. I took out her favorite mug and poured water into it from the spicket. I felt a kiss on my cheek.

"Thanks, ever so much, Angel!"

Ness is so addicted to my sleeping potion. It makes it so you don't dream and, if you do, it's a nice one. I put the mug into the microwave.

"Sure thing. You need to learn to sleep without my potion, you know."

"Whatever. Come on. The microwave is done. Let's go to my room and sleep."

"Kay. Wait, put some sugar in it, first!"

So we went to her room and she drank the potion. She was asleep within seconds of the last sip. She had just enough time to put down the mug and lay down so as not to hurt her head falling down.

I just pulled the bed out from under the bed. I was asleep soon, as well.



We woke up and went to school.

It was our first date. Robert. He is so shy, so sweet.

He picked me up at exactly 8:00. He opened the door for me. Aww.

He was a real gentleman. He didn't kiss me. Not when he took me to dinner. Not when he dropped me off, every time, he opened the door for me.

We did hug, though. He shook my dad's hand.

Weird date for me.



We went on a date the next weekend. He was a gentleman, then, too. And he kissed me that time. But he asked first. That's when he dropped me off.



We dated for a month and a half. He told me that he was a neophyte. That he used to be a blood-drinker. He knows I'm a witch.

I told him I knew what he was. He liked that I knew it.

He asked if I wanted to be changed. Told me we could be together forever.

I said yes, obviously.

To change, the first to drink is the vampire (but in this case, it was the neophyte). Then, you have to drink a little bit more from the vamp. You do this three nights in a row.

Blood-drinkers have to drink daily until they change and fledglings have to drink weekly. Neophytes have to drink every other week. And vampires have to drink monthly.

Since I'm a witch, and I know how to do it, I stole energy from humans, instead. I couldn't find a person to drink from. I guess I could have asked Robert. I'm so stupid.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.