Slender | Teen Ink

Slender

December 1, 2012
By Moonchild97 BRONZE, Erie, Pennsylvania
More by this author
Moonchild97 BRONZE, Erie, Pennsylvania
3 articles 8 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
Stop saying "What if..." and just go with what is


Darkness loomed around the lone girl. She couldn’t see anything other than where her small, black flashlight hit the cold, dark trees and ground around her. Though it was still summer, most of the leaves were dead, just like her hopes of ever finding her way out of the dark and dead woods.

═══╬═══╬═══╬═══

Jennifer Carse was having a very loud conversation on the phone with Officer Justin Tolenharn. “You don’t understand! My daughter is missing!” Jen tried to explain in frustration.
“I do understand Mrs. Carse, but I also have to follow the rules. You told me that she left for a friend’s house yesterday evening and never returned home. Did you ask her friend if she ever arrived at their house?”
“Yes, I called them. They said that she never showed up.” Jen said, braking into a quieted sob.
“Our policy is that we must wait 24 hours before we look for her. Most calls we get about children that have gone missing show up within those 24 hours. If, however, she does not return, we will do everything in our power to find your daughter, Mrs. Carse.”
She sighed heavily, “I suppose that is all you can do. Thank you.” She said good bye and hung up the phone. She leaned against the wall and sank to the creamy carpet, her body shacking with sobs.

═══╬═══╬═══╬═══

Officer Justin Tolenharn had just hung up the phone after talking to a distraught mother about her daughter who didn’t come home and hasn’t been seen for roughly 15 hours. I hope she’s okay, he thought to himself.


═══╬═══╬═══╬═══

Kathrin Carse, Katie, ran through the dark woods. The sun was rising higher and higher in the sky. She could see no break in the trees. What am I going to do? Katie said to herself helplessly. “I have to get out!” She cried. Why did I ever come in here? I should’ve just left the beautiful silver watch there! Of course, all she saw at first was a flash of light. She guessed it was the sun hitting the breath-taking sapphires amethyst and diamond on a silver band, sapphire and amethyst were studded around the watch and a single row of diamond and sapphire made a dainty path around the pure silver band. The strange thing that nagged at her was the fact that it looked almost new but there was no battery. The ever continuing time read 12:00. I should have ignored it.

═══╬═══╬═══╬═══

“It’s been 24 hours since I’ve last seen Katie. Please do something! Please!” Jen pleaded helplessly. “Yes, I’ll have some men out in a couple of hours.” Justin replied.
“Thank you.”
“Yep. Now I need more information about Kathrin.” Justin said and Jen gave him the basics, sixteen, red, shoulder length hair, about 6.2’, grey eyes, and slender. After they hung up, Justin sent out four police cars with two officers in each in search of Kathrin Carse. After about two hours of searching, they found faint 6 ½ size footprints that matched Kathrin’s descriptions. The trail led into the Slender Woods. The footprints went right past the FORBIDEN sign and into the dark, dense woods.
The officers drove back to the station. “Why wouldn’t you go into the woods?” Justin asked, a little annoyed, after they explained what they found. Officer Jake Gunner spoke up quietly, “That’s where the Slender Man made his home.”
“Oh,” Justin said with a little mockery in his voice. “You afraid of a myth?”
“This isn’t just a myth, Justin.” Justin scoffed and rolled his eyes as Jake continued. “People have disappeared on three different occasions, two on the first, three on the second. The third had one; she made it out then died in the hospital later on.” Jake was getting a mysterious look in his eyes, like a little boy telling a scary story around a camp fire. He continued. “Her death was unusual; the causes of her death are still a mystery. She spoke of seeing a faceless man in a black suit. He had long, unnatural looking arms that kept growing and shortening. As soon as he touched the other, they dropped dead. She ran and ran and ran until she got out, almost dead. We did some research on him and found some disturbing stuff about the man called Slender. We closed the woods about six years before you moved here.” Jake finished with a gesture to Justin. The other officers were silent. “What…” Justin cleared his throat and continued. “About what time did they disappear?” “On all three incidents, our evidence points to 11:59 PM when it appeared and killed them within a minute.” Jake summed up for him. “Weird.” Is all Justin said for a moment, then he realized that it was Friday, 6:00PM!

Sirens wailed as the 10 police cars drove to the entrance of Slender Woods. Justin ordered the others to search the place until 10:00PM so they’d have a chance to get out before 11:59PM. 6:47PM they arrived and headed in.

═══╬═══╬═══╬═══

Katie had been wandering around for two days now and was scared. She had found three notes taped to trees and rocks. The first said “6th day”, the second “don’t look behind you”, and the third read “look away if you can”. Just ahead of her was another note taped to a large, dead maple tree. “Big mistake” it read. She shuddered involuntarily. “What now?” She said allowed, jumping at the sound of her own voice. She kept walking. Luckily she had been responsible for bringing the snacks to the sleepover. She bought a bag of BBQ chips and two 2Liters of Mountain Dew. She had just about finished the BBQ chips and was on to the second Mountain Dew already. Her heart was pounding, and she was breathing hard. “Why did I have to forget my cellphone? Why didn’t I leave that stupid watch where it was? Why can’t I find my way out?” That is what confused her most. She had just taken a couple steps into the woods and she thought she had turned right around. Then why couldn’t she find her way out?
8:00 came and went. 9:00 was when she found the fifth note. “Turn to your death”. Katie breathed in sharply. 6th day, Friday, today! “The watch, midnight!” She felt nauseated as she fought back tears. I got to think! She started running, fast. She thought of her friends and family never knowing what happened to her. Do I even know what will happen to me? 10:00 she thought she heard her name called. “Hello?” She waited nothing. She called again; Still nothing. She shuddered and walked on.

═══╬═══╬═══╬═══

10:00PM, the police followed there rope trail back the safety of their cars. The whole way out of the Slender Woods, they called Katie’s name but failed to hear the terrified cries of her.

═══╬═══╬═══╬═══

Jennifer Carse tried to sleep that night, but couldn’t. She looked at her clock on her nightstand. The glowing blue numbers read 10:22PM. That early? She thought. She closed her eyes and tried to think of peaceful things. Waves lapping against the beach; green meadows with beautiful flowers and birds singing. Then a thought forced its way into her mind. What if I never see Katie again? Without warning, a tear slipped down her cheek, making the light blue pillow case have a small dark spot. That tear was soon joined by another and another. Then her body was shaking with sobs. Gut wrenching sobs. By 11:20, she slipped into a fitful sleep.

═══╬═══╬═══╬═══

Katie’s heart pounded in her ears as she ran. She didn’t know if it was her imagination or real, but whatever it was frightened her. A man in a suit with a plane red tie had suddenly appeared in front of her. His face seemed to be a plane glowing white face. She remembered a strange feeling almost like she was being pulled to him. She remembered her vision was fuzzy and could barely see. She had screamed as she struggled to get free. Remembering the notes now,”6th day”, “Don’t look behind you”, “Look away if you can”, “Big mistake”, and “Turn to your death”. She started walking again, looking at the ground. She looked up occasionally, just to make sure she wasn’t going to walk into anything, or anyone. Just keep moving, her instincts told her. Then it was in front of her again! She screamed a loud, piercing scream that cut through the still night air. “Please don’t hurt me!” She yelled at him, her vision blurry. She tried to look away, but found it difficult. He just stood there with his legs slightly separated and arms at his side. Arms kept appearing and then disappearing. She noticed that he was tall and skinny. Slender. The notes ran through her head as she turned and ran again. “Someone please help me!” She cried out in anguish. She was exhausted and confused. I have to live! She thought. She ran for 10 more minutes, then, there he was just 10 feet ahead of her, waiting.

Justin couldn’t sleep with the nagging thought that in a half hour, a 16 year old girl would be gone forever. I have to do something! He thought. Justin got up, dressed and headed for the car, not knowing what he would do if he had to face him.

═══╬═══╬═══╬═══

Katie turned around but he was there too! She turned again, there also! He seemed closer this time though. I’m going to die, she thought. She closed her eyes for a moment and when she opened them again, he was right in her face. She fell backwards and hit her head, hard. The darkness forced its way into her eyes as she slipped into unconsciousness. Right before she passed out, a loud noise rang in her ears.


Justin saw her as she fell backwards. He fired a shot from his pistol at the back of him. He disappeared into the darkness he ran to where Katie lay, pale and lifeless looking in the moonlight. Justin checked for a pulse. Her pulse was still strong. He gently picked her up and quickly followed his rope that lead back to the entrance. Less than halfway to go to get out, he appeared. Justin stared at the ground and tried to walk past him but felt himself being pulled toward him. Suddenly, his elbow brushed the Slender Man. He felt himself go faint. “Noooooo!” He yelled “I can’t die, especially with Katie!” An agonizing pain shot through is arm where he had touched him. He groaned, still feeling faint. Still he fought, he struggled to get free. Then out of nowhere came a blinding light! Justin fell backward, Katie still in his arms. Slender disappeared almost instantly. He felt a hand grab his arm and help him to his feet. Katie slipped out of his arms then and lay motionless on the ground. Justin looked into the face of Officer Jake Gunner. Justin stared in disbelief. “What, how did you know?” He asked dumbly. “I couldn’t sleep, so I thought I’d come and see if I could do anything. I saw your rope and knew someone, had a feeling it was you, had already gone in. I figured you might need some help. And since Mr. Slendy doesn’t like bright lights, I thought I’d make him really mad.” Justin listened incredulously. They made their way out and to the safety of their police cars. They called for an ambulance and Jen. Jen met them at the hospital, visibly shaken by his terrifying story. The medics took Katie to the hospital room and insisted on checking up on Justin. He agreed. Katie was alright after a few months of counseling. Justin was fin in a few days. He didn’t experience nearly as much trauma as Katie endured. Though the spot on his arm where the Slender Man touched him was red and sore, he was alright. Jen was overwhelmed with seeing Katie again, alive. The first words she said was “I couldn’t bear the thought of losing you too!” She was referring to Katie’s dad who passed away three years ago of a heart attack. In five months, everything was back to normal. The city built a 6ft wall around the Slender Woods to keep everyone out from its danger.

═══╬═══╬═══╬═══

Katie sat next to her mother in their living room a week after she had come home. They sat on the after just finishing the first of the Lord of the Rings movies. Katie got up and said goodnight to her mom and walked to her room. Shortly after crawling into her bed, she fell into a shallow sleep filled with horrors that no one could imagine. She was in a dark room with nothing around. Terrifying sounds clawed at her ears. Blood-curdling screams, loud crashing sounds and terrifying laughs crowded into her brain. Katie covered her ears but it did no good, the sounds just came straight though. She screamed for it to all stop but it didn’t. Her eyes were shut tight, scared to see what was going on around her. She opened her eyes slowly, cautiously. What she saw turned her stomach. Slender Man was 20 feet in front of her! She screamed and started running the opposite direction! Not again! Why am I here? She asked herself. She turned her head to look behind her slowly. The world turned into slow motion. Then suddenly, as soon as she was looking right behind her, a blinding light shone in her face! Her world turned white then grayed slowly. He vision blurred then focused on a ghostly face. Slender Man’s face! Her world went black!
Katie woke up breathing heavily and tangled up in her comforter. She was soaked with sweat and she fought with the blanket, gasping for breath! “Help! He’s getting me!” She cried helplessly. Jennifer crashed through the door, hair disheveled and crazy. She rushed to her daughter’s bed side, shaking her fully awake. “Katie, it’s okay. I’m here. It’s just a dream. It’s all going to be okay.” She said in a soothing tone, calming Katie. Tears were streaming down both of their faces. For a long time they stayed like that. Jen kneeling at Katie’s bedside, stroking her soft, slightly curly hair. Jen stayed there until Katie’s breathing evened out. She kissed her cheek softly and left to go to her own room. She sighed as she slipped under her covers. This is going to be tough. I have to be strong for her. She’s such a beautiful young woman and I can’t bear seeing her in so much pain and terror. She thought to herself. After a while, she fell asleep again, hoping her decision would pay off in a good way.

═══╬═══╬═══╬═══

In the morning after Katie had woken up, she confronted her with her suggestion. “Katie, I thought long and hard about this last night. I strongly believe you should attend counseling.” Katie didn’t know what to say. She slowly nodded her head. “Ok.” She replied simply. Jennifer sighed in relief. “thank you. I’ll set up your first meeting as soon as possible.”

═══╬═══╬═══╬═══
Counseling did the trick. Within two months’ time, Katie’s nightmares had stopped and she was starting to act more normally. Though Katie would never forget the terror of her time in Slender Woods, she did slowly get completely better again. In the years to come, only one teenager entered the woods just to show he could live. He didn’t. From the day the boy’s body was found on the outskirts of the woods, no one dared go near Slender Woods again.


The End



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.