The mystery behind an elite | Teen Ink

The mystery behind an elite

June 17, 2015
By Phuong BRONZE, Vienna, Virginia
More by this author
Phuong BRONZE, Vienna, Virginia
3 articles 3 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Never give up


My name is Eleni. I live in a university in Cambridge, MA. My mom thinks I am depressed, and that is true. How can you expect a senior not to stress out? That is just silly. Graduation, deadlines, career, and so on are day and night overwhelming me. Luckily, I have my bestie Kitty who is always there for me anytime I am in need. Actually, to be fair, I don’t have any friends other than Kitty. Two weeks from now will be my graduation celebration. I am excited, but at the same time, I am worried about my final film that will be shown to everyone. I have dreamt to become a film director about humanity’s life all my life, and I want this one time to be the movie of my life.
Moving from those high expectations, I want to talk about my college life. All my four years have been pretty calm and non-radioactive. Nothing special happens to me, and I don’t really care about gossip stuffs. At my school, I am one of those who are called ‘unknowns’-the biggest enemies(not entirely) but polarized from those who are known as the ‘world-class’ or ‘elite’ kind of thing. They don’t like us because they think we are useless and lazy in participating in campaigns for school, and we hate their superiority. To be clear, we are in America! We have our freedom of doing things we like and not if we don’t. I don’t want to say this, but those people are prejudiced.
Apparently, the most significant figure of the elites is Daniel Gonzales. I am a carefree type of person, so I don’t really care about gossip things at school. However, this Daniel guy is so popular and ‘universal’ that I know a lot of things about him like everyone else does. Frankly, although I think putting your nose in other people’s story is rude, I can’t help myself from being curious because the life of this guy is a whole mystery without any keys to open. And, hey, his room is opposite of mine! Daniel is the richest and most famous student at school, the president of almost every club, a perfection itself student with all ‘A’ honor rolls, and a lucky family. Daniel is the son of the director of the CIA. He is going to take over his dad’s position in 2 years. In fact, he is a senior now; however, he has to take a super important extra-course in order to enter the CIA in the future. I don’t have any classes with him, but as a rumor, Daniel is very cold and mysterious. He usually goes out at night time, but no one knows what he’s up to.
Much as I’m curious, his story does not really matter to me. My movie is what matters. I’m entering a crisis of not knowing who or even what I’m going to film about. I stay inside and go outside every single day to find inspirations, but nothing comes up to my mind. From the most beautiful, lovely scenarios to the saddest place on earth, much as I try, I fail miserably in front of my feelings. Trying to chill out, I decide to hang out with Kitty. It is very relaxing to talk to her about my issue. Going out with her is always fun! At once, I look outside and notice it is raining. I love rain; rain is my life because under the rain lies the climax of most of my previous films. I am wondering why this time does not work for me. As I am staring at the rain from the window, I notice something not right…

Suddenly, I notice a man past my sight who looks very familiar. At one moment, the man turns around and unintentionally looks at me. I stare at him and realize it is Daniel from school. He immediately covers his face with his cap and walks quickly away. I am so dazzled and confused that I keep looking as he leaves. His appearance makes me so shocked: an old pair of jeans with a tee shirt and a cap. Also he is carrying a bunch of flowers and food brought from Safeway. That is not normal at all, because Daniel never appears anywhere with that kind of attire except when he is at home. Feeling curious that something weird is going on, I excuse Kitty for leaving early and follow Daniel to find out where he is going. I wonder if this is the rumor that everyone at school has been discussing.
I secretly walk behind Daniel, feeling a little bit nervous and scared. After a while, I follow him into a dark, damp, and creepy small cottage. I can’t believe into my eyes that Daniel, the most elite person on earth that I know, is now going to a very lower class, humble place. ‘Is he allowed to do this? What if his father finds out?’, I wonder. I am hesitating if I should continue walking, but curiosity is burning so hard inside me that I can’t help it. He seems to go out of the city area. However, as I am going, I step on the most disgusting creature I have ever seen, and unfortunately, it makes noise. Daniel stops; he turns around and looks. He just stands there for an entirely 10 minute; however, he doesn’t know I was there. I am scared; I didn’t dare to move any further. I praise God he will not notice me. And fortunately, Daniel keeps walking and enters a small cottage. Despite my fear, I cautiously follow him as I feel like something hidden about this man is about to be explored.
I go to the window when Daniel has entered. As I look inside, I am too amazed to grasp what I am seeing. Though the cottage seems to be terribly ugly and  ragged, it is surprisingly warm and cozy inside with beautiful roses, lighted candles, a small bed, and a table with some food on it. The light shrinks into the intimate moment of two people: Daniel and apparently an old woman. He is taking considerate care of her who looks very sick and bony. He helps her eat the meal, puts a blanket over her back to keep her body warm, and kisses her on the forehead. Then, he sits next to her, hugs her tightly, and starts crying. Daniel is crying in silent, and it seems like they are compassionate towards each other. I can feel myself so moved by the scene that tears have already come out from my eyes like two creeks running along two sides of a log. My heart seems to have missed one beat. I totally do not expect Daniel to be like this. It completely makes me think differently about him and somehow makes me adore him… Suddenly, I have a hiccup, and I can’t stop it.  I know they have noticed, but I don’t want to be caught in this moment, so I run away as quickly as possible.
That night at home, I keep wondering if what I saw is actually the true Daniel that no one knows-a very warm and kind-hearted man. I feel myself keep crying so hard; so emotional a feeling that I have not had for a long time. I ponder to myself whether this hidden story about Daniel might be the inspiration for my final movie. I feel like tonight is the moment of my life. I say to myself, ‘ What if I ask Daniel to help me with my film?’. The next day…

The next day at the cafeteria, I sit with my friend while looking for Daniel. I am very nervous and a little scared as Daniel barely talks to anyone except for those ‘elites’. At one moment, I catch glimpse of Daniel buying drinks at the vending machine. I decide to go talk to him; however, as I am walking to the vending machine, Daniel seems to notice me. He immediately comes up to where I am standing as quickly as possible. It is so surprising that I cannot move forward at all. When Daniel comes close to me, I am about to say ‘Hi’; but he grabs my arm, which is very impolite of him, and then pulls me aside so no one can see us.
“Are you the one who followed me yesterday evening?”, asked Daniel promptly.
Some stupid nerves in my brain force me to lie at the moment, but I remain calm, look down, sigh, make a deep breath, and tell him, “Yes, it was me.”
“Why did you do that? You know that nobody ever does that to me. I am considered a cold beast at this school that no one wants to bother with.”
“Not for me”, I said gently.
“What-”
“A cold beast would never care for an old, miserable lady that intimately and considerately.”
“Oh, please! Who do you think you are that you can judge me like that. You do not understand me. And you haven’t answered my question yet. Why did you follow me yesterday?”
I stare at him for a while and answer nervously.
“Uhm… I had a feeling the moment I followed you that you are going to give me an inspiration for my film. And I think I have figured out how I will direct it. More importantly, I really need your help.”
“You know I am so busy nowadays that I don’t even have plans for myself. And now a girl I know nothing about comes up to me and asks my help for her film, which I have no idea relates to me. Do you think all these matters through coherently?”
“I am sorry for being so sudden like this and you probably think I am crazy. But I am so touched by your kindness that I want to make a movie about your true personality that no one ever knows. To be frank, I have been struggling all these days to find the inspiration for my film, but I can’t. And I am so grateful that I have found you. Your story is so precious that I don’t want to miss it. I know it is very troublesome for you, but would you mind spending a little time?”
“My story? What do you know about my story, my family, or my life? You don’t know anything about me.”
“That’s why I need you to help me. Can you please give me a chance to get along with you or at least share with me your story at the cottage last night?”
“I don’t want to talk about it with anyone. It’s very personal.”
As he stops at that sentence, I instinctively grab his hand and look at him. I don’t know why I did so; I can’t think of anything other than Daniel and his story. I look into his eyes, and I am about to sincerely beg him to help me… However, I change my mind and shyly withdraw my hand from his.
“Sorry for bothering you! Bye”, I say gently.
I slowly and regretfully walk away.

I am walking half way through the cafeteria when someone patches me slightly on my shoulder. I turn around, and… it’s Daniel. We stand still for a minute, and he says:
“Sorry for being rude to you. Nobody has ever wanted to know my story or share anything with me, so I am kind of confused and uncontrollable when you ask me that. And yes, I can help you. But only this time, and promise me you will not bother me anymore.”
“Thanks. I will not let you disappointed. I will not miss this chance to show the world who this special guy really is.”
We shake our hands and say good bye to each other. I feel ambivalent afterwards such that I am happy to be ready for my film, but I also feel like it is going to be a burden for me, because either Daniel will be humiliated in front of every student or he will receive the sympathy from everyone. I feel eager but also nervous to call Daniel. I don’t even know what I am thinking.
That evening, Daniel calls me.
“Hi”, he says.
“Hi”
There is a strong shyness coming out from our conversation. I am so nervous that my mind just goes blank. I really don’t know how to begin. Then coincidentally we laugh slightly towards each other. It is funny. Silence starts to overwhelm us one more time. Finally, Daniel replies:
“I know it’s weird how I am the person who is supposed to start, but I don’t know how. I have a tough life, and I will cry whenever I think about it. I-”
“I’m sorry, Daniel.”
“My whole life, I’m stuck in a trap… a tragedy. I was born as an unwanted child. My mom and dad were living in marriage for three years when she wanted to bear a child. However, my dad did not approve it, seeing it as an impure act; he said that if a baby was born in his house, he would excommunicate it and his wife no matter what. Resentful with what my dad threatened, my mom came into a divorce. She left and lived lonely in a small house in the countryside. And soon after, she bore a baby, and it has become this big guy now. My mom always felt sorry for me to have been brought up in such a ragged place. Working in the CIA, my dad soon found out that his child had been born without his knowing. He grew very angry. He sent his security guards to take me away from my mom. She protested against him to protect me, but she couldn’t due to his powers. Not being able to bear such pain of losing me, my mom became insane; she was sent to a mentally disorder hospital where I stood out of her existence. I was then brought up happily by my father without knowing what he had done to my mom. I am a bad son, and I should be punished.
But soon, I found out one year ago in the article of the New York Times newspaper revealing what terrible things the director of the CIA did to his only wife and son. He even tried to kill my mom. The moment I read it, I just wanted to explode. I could feel myself hate him so much. My brain stopped working and my body tore apart whenever I think of my father. I want to make an avenge for my dear mother, but I can’t because he is my father... He is my father, do you understand how hard I feel? I was so shocked that I didn’t see my dad or even go outside for a month. Knowing something weird going on, he called me out to talk. I told him that I already knew every wicked thing he did, and I asked for his reason. He said that he wanted to hide this story behind my back forever, but he knew one day I would find out. My dad didn’t want my mom to bring me up because she had a very bad reputation. “‘She is a terrible mother. I can’t let you into her hands.”’, he said. That’s why he didn’t want to have any children in the beginning. Since then, I wanted to find my mom and take care of her. However, it was not that easy! My dad made a deal with me that I had to pass the examination to take over his position, or I could not save my mom.”
Daniel stops, he starts crying. I don’t want to say or ask him anything. I don’t want to touch his pain any longer. My face has now soaked with tears. I am so sad and sorry for Daniel. Never have I imagined such burden happened to a guy of his age.
“So, the person you met last night is-”
“Yes, she is my mom”, he interrupted, “I had once sneaked out to find my mom in the hospital she was sent to. Fearing she would get worse when staying in that horrible place, I help her move into a vacant, peaceful cottage outside the city. There, I take care of her in the late evening when no one can notice me. I have been doing this for a year now. I promise her to hang on just a little bit more after I graduate, and we can live together.”
“I’m so sorry. I feel so bad I don’t know you have such a calamitous life. I’m… sorry.”
“It’s okay. One year has given me the strength to get used to it. I am so grateful that I can share my story with someone like you.You don’t have to be sorry. I am sure you also have some hard time too ”
“You’re right. What is very hard to me now is that I haven’t started my film yet.”
“How??? Your graduation is in 2 days. You’d better get started.”
“I’d better get started.”
“Can I help you with anything?”
“Thanks, but no. It’s gonna be a surprise.”
“Okay, I look forward to that. Have a good night!”
“You will not be disappointed, I promise. Bye. You too.”
Even though my words sound pretty much like I’m happy, I’m not. I’m still very sad and sorry for Daniel. But if I want to help him, I need to do something instead of just sitting in sorrow. It is now 11:00 p.m. Daniel is about to go visit his mom. I grab my coat, my hat, and rush there with my camera and my script. While walking there, I notice that I went on this same road yesterday evening with the feeling of nervousness, curiosity, and even fear. However, everything is different now. I am not a spy on Daniel anymore; I will help him to be known as the way he truly is.

The graduation has come. I am very nervous. I can’t believe I have finished my four years in college. Time flies so fast that sometimes I think I have just entered high school the day before. I am a real adult now. Today, my movie will be shown, and no matter what the consequence will be, I will be happy about it. For the first time in my life, I make my movie for another person’s sake. That night when I came to make the scene about Daniel and his mom, I am so proud of him.
At the graduation, I suddenly catch glimpse of Daniel, and  he notices me too. I surprisingly have many things to say to him, but my movie needs to be prepared, so I just smile slightly and walk away. And now comes my moment. During the movie, I sit in the corner and watch the emotions of the viewers, including Daniel. It’s so interesting how a person changes his feeling at the beginning and the end. Some cry, some just sit still and think, some come and hug Daniel to share with him the sympathy, some want to criticize him why he does not share. I am happy because they all accept and sympathise him. And he really deserves it. I hope he will get over his pain and be strong. At the end of the movie, I stand at the stage and say:
“I hope you all enjoy my movie. I had a lot of difficulties at first, but a guy appeared and helped me. I hope you can stand beside him and help him whenever he is in need. I don’t care what way you use, just a bit is precious. I just want to say that everyone of us has his or her own suffering and has to find ways to get through it. But keep in mind it is always better to share and seek help from others about the hard time than to keep it to yourself. It is just very painful. Friendship can break all the barriers of a problem; it can make the one who suffers feel less pain and feel protected even when they fall. Thank you.”
The celebration ends beautifully. I come outside, look at the sky, and hope my message is worthwhile for everyone. Daniel comes and patches me on my shoulder:
“Good job, Congratulations! You make me look so different that I don’t even recognize me. Thanks!”
“Anytime.”
“I never receive so much concern for me as today before. It feels weird.”
“Talking about weirdo. Do you realize how weird the way we know each other is.”
“You’re right. I feel so bad I am even not sure about your name.”
I look at Daniel and give me hand out:
“Hi, I’m Eleni Roesch. Nice to meet you!”
“I’m Daniel Gonzales. Nice to meet you, too. It’s a pleasure to meet you.”
“Me too.”
“Can be be friends?”
“I’d love to!”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.