Sixteen Candles | Teen Ink

Sixteen Candles

November 7, 2018
By Nadiaibbetson, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
More by this author
Nadiaibbetson, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Skylar woke up very happy one morning, because it was her 16th Birthday. Becoming sixteen was a big deal to her, and she wanted to make the very best out of it. She went downstairs walking past her Mother who was in the kitchen, her mother was just simply sitting there and did not say a word. Then her father came downstairs, he also walked right past her. Skylar kept thinking to herself over and over, but was still so confused, then she ran upstairs. She got dressed for school, and fixed her hair. She walked into her little brother Justin’s room, and he was fixing his school tie in the mirror. Skylar called out to him, but he did not even budge or turn around. Skylar was in a panic, and mostly confused. She ran downstairs, and seen her family get into the car. She followed, thinking it was just a prank or ignoring her or maybe a surprise? They stopped at a graveyard, walking towards a small tombstone. With the name of Skylar Williams, that was her.

It all started a week before, Skylar’s 16th Birthday. Skylar went to a concert with her friends downtown. They went to see their favorite band, Skylar was so happy. She went with her two girlfriends, and three other boys. That night they all got drunk at the concert, and decided to still drive home. Brandon, Skylar’s good friend was the one driving. He was the only one with a license, because he was older. As they got onto the bridge, covering over the long river beneath. They blasted music, laughed, sang, and did not pay attention to their surroundings. Brandon was looking away, until Skylar screamed, “Truck!”. That was it, they flew off the bridge crashing into the river. Skylar remembers going down under the water, but then everything turned black.

Skylar broke down, dropping to the grass on her knees. Her Mother placed Skylars charm bracelet on top of her grave, following with flowers and a pink candle. Her favorite color. They cried in silence, while Skylar got flashbacks from the crash putting the pieces together. The name Tara Richards, caught Skylar’s eye on the tombstone across from hers. That was her best friend, who she had got into the accident with. Soon enough, Skylar had found everyone’s name she had crashed with. Skylar was dead, nobody can either see or hear her. But she still decided to get more information, or why she was still lingering in this world where she don’t belong. Skylar walked to her high school, down the block from her house. Kids were crying everywhere, especially teachers and staffs. Her locker, and the others were decorated by students with candles, flowers, and pictures. Also some signs saying, “R.I.P” or “We miss you”,and “Happy Birthday Skylar”. Skylar was so heartbroken, seeing her classmates and teachers walk through the halls with so much sadness. All she thought was, why did I go to that concert? After roaming through so many hallways she seen one of her best friends Marissa Lewis at her locker. Staring at a picture of her and Skylar, and slowly tearing up. There’s something you don’t know about Marissa. She was supposed to go to the concert that night, but she refused because she didn’t like the fact that they were drinking. Marissa felt guilty for the death of her friends, especially for letting Skylar go. Also, Skylar and Marissa got into an argument that night. Ever since then, they haven’t talked but not it was too late.

Skylar walked slowly through the halls, not knowing of what to do. She thought to herself, why am I even here? She was completely invisible, she had no way of proving she was still in this world. She had to show she was still here, looking over her family and friends. Skylar walked into the cafeteria, instead of everyone happily laughing all she saw was the sad faces of every student. Conversations were not about good grades, sports, or fun weekends, it was all about the crash. She found Marissa again, sitting by herself studying for a test. Marissa was super smart, she often helped Skylar with her math work. Skylar never got to thank Marissa about not wanting her to go to the concert that night. So much guilt ran through her body, and hit her heart. She wanted to call out and scream, but unfortunately that would not work. After many hours, of simply wondering and still lingering around school was over. That night at Skylar’s house, her family had a small cake for her. A pink cake, with exactly sixteen candles. They had her picture on it too. They did it out of respect, and even Marissa came over. As they sat in silence, Skylar came over to the table and watched everyone celebrate her birthday. She didn’t want to leave them, and she wished this moment lasted forever. Only if they saw her. Skylar blew out the candles, after the song. She wanted to show a sign she was still there. Her family and Marissa saw the candles blow out, and finally seen Skylar’s reflection. Their eyes got wide, and they all paused for a second. No one could believe what was actually happening. Their emotions took over, and Skylar felt happy she got to show them she was okay. They tried reaching for her, but Skylar was just a spirit you could not touch. She wanted to show her family, they should not feel guilty and know she is always with them. Soon enough, Skylar crossed over, knowing now the only thing she needed was hope. The hope her and her family lost due to the crash. Thankfully, everything was finally at peace. But ,most importantly Skylar got to spend her last birthday with her family and best friend.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.


apeeke BRONZE said...
on Jan. 28 2019 at 3:48 pm
apeeke BRONZE, Hammonton, New Jersey
3 articles 0 photos 30 comments
Great story! keep writing