The Haunted House On Top Of The Hill | Teen Ink

The Haunted House On Top Of The Hill

By npoleyestewa, Canton, Connecticut
npoleyestewa, Canton, Connecticut

I wanted to write about something that was going to be mysteries and an adventure.

Ring, Ring, Ring. The school bell went off and it was ready to start the school day. The students ran in the hallway to get to their classes. People were slamming lockers and the amount of noise in the hallway was like if you were at an NFL game. Mr. Wilson who was my science teacher at the local school always had a smile on his face when you walked in his classroom. His desk was pretty cool because it was an  aquarium desk that had so many fishes in it. As I walked in the classroom kids were jumping up and down and paper airplanes flew by my head. The teacher walked in and told the kids to sit down so that he could take attendance before we headed off on our adventure. The kids were so excited because today we were going on a field trip to a haunted house. 

Soon after he took attendance, we got up from our seats and made our way towards the front of the school where there was a big yellow bus that was taking us to the haunted house. The students and I hopped on the bus and took our seats. Mr. Wilson did another check to see if we were all there. Then he said we were all good and the bus took off out of the school parking lot. As I looked out the window, I saw that there was a dark cloud headed in the direction that we were going. Strips of lighting filled the sky and the rumbles of thunder made my bones shake. This was a pretty bad storm. I looked around on the bus and the kids faces turned from being happy to being scared. I turned around and sat back in my seat and prayed that nothing bad would happen to us. About a half an hour later, we arrived at the entrance of the haunted house. The bus driver hopped out and pressed a button. The front gates opened slowly. I stood up and saw that the road was very muddy and pot holes were everywhere. The driveway went for a couple more miles down the road. I felt like this road was never going to end. After about ten more minutes, the bus stopped and the doors opened up. We all filed out with Mr. Wilson leading us. As we were getting off the bus he took out a few flashlights from his backpack and handed them to us kids. I leaned over to get one because I knew that if I held onto this flashlight, then everything would be ok. Mr. Wilson took us over to the front door. We all followed him closely because we did not want to fall behind. He knocked on the door. The door opened very slowly. I pierced my way through my classmates because I wanted to be the first one to see inside of the house. As I got to the front of the group, I stopped and looked around. Cobwebs covered almost everything and there was even a big knight in shining amour. Mirrors and pictures filled the walls. Windows were smashed and glass was everywhere. Then Mr. Wilson led the way inside of the haunted house and it was time for exploring.

Mr. Wilson read our names out loud and grouped us together. I was partnered up with my best friend named Sam. Sam was adventurous like me, so I knew that this was going to be fun. I took out the flashlight that I stuffed in my pocket. Turned it over and flipped on the switch. The house was very dark because of the dark clouds that were outside. The other kids went in the opposite direction that Sam and I went. This was good because we wanted to explore in places that the other kids wouldn’t be able to get. Sam and I walked up the stairs slowly. The stairs creaked with every step. The flashlight was the only light source that we had. As we got closer to the top of the stairs we peeked around the corner and shined the flashlight down the hallway. Nothing was there. We peeked again. This time something was there, an orb. Sam and I looked at each other in awe. We turned off the flashlight and turned it back on. Thinking that maybe it was just a shadow made by the flashlight. Sam and I looked once more but this time that orb was even closer. 

The orb looked like a floating ball of light and it moved up and down and side to side in the hallway. Sam and I yelled at it thinking that maybe it was one of the other classmates messing with us. But we remembered that we were the only ones up there. We again looked at each other and at the exact same time we both said “let’s catch this thing.” I couldn’t believe that we built up the bravery and courage to go after this orb. We turned on the flashlight and went right down the hallway where we both saw the orb. We both walked very slowly on the rickety wooden floor. As we were walking down the hallway, I scanned each room with the flashlight but all I saw were piles of dust on the shelves and cobwebs hanging from the lights and the corners of the room. All of a sudden we heard a loud bang from one of the other rooms that we haven't checked yet. Sam and I glanced at each other. We had chills running down our backs. We regrouped and took a deep breath. I told Sam to stay here and that I would go check it out. I pulled out the flashlight from my pocket. Turned it on and walked further down the hallway. I turned left into a room where I thought I heard the noise. I scanned the room with the flashlight. Nothing was there but a book that had fallen off of a shelf. Then I looked up and squinted my eyes. I frantically turned off the flashlight and looked again. The light bulb in the ceiling was flickering off and on. This never occured in any of the other rooms, I thought to myself. All of a sudden, I felt a slight tug on my shoulder. I instantly froze and looked over my shoulder but nobody was there. 

I yelled down to Sam who was a few rooms down from where I was to see if he was still there. He yelled back and he said that he was ok. I thought to myself, could this be the orb messing with me that Sam and I saw in the hallway. I quickly left the room and ran back to Sam. I told him what has just happend to me. His face expression turned from quiet calm to instantly scared. We wanted to run back down the stairs and tell the others but we didn’t want them to think that we are crazy and that we were hallucinating. So we took a few breaths and walked out of the room. This time we walked in the other direction. We suddenly heard footsteps coming up from behind us. We stopped in the middle of the hallway and turned around but nothing was there. Then we felt a gust of ice cold wind go by us. Sam and I instantly got chills. We both felt a fierce tug pulling on our shoulders. I panicked and fell to my knees. I put my hands over my head and was asking this thing to leave us alone. Sam ran to the wall and rolled into a ball. We both screamed for help. 

A few minutes later, I heard footsteps running up the stairs. I picked up my head and looked. Mr. Wilson was coming to save us from this evil spirit. When he got to Sam and I, he asked what happened and if we were ok. I told him how we saw this orb at the other end of the hallway and how it kept following us around as we explored. Also, I told him that we were attacked by this vicious spirit. He kneeled down beside Sam and I to comfort us while we tried to gain composure. I asked Mr. Wilson to come over where I was. I looked him dead in the eyes and told him that we need to get out of here. He nodded his head in agreement. Sam and I both stood up, dusted ourselves off and ran down stairs with Mr. Wilson leading the way. Mr. Wilson called out to the other classmates that were down stairs and told them that we need to leave this house immediately. The kids faces looked horrified. Mr. Wilson opened the front door of the house and all the kids filed out back onto the bus. The bus driver quickly hopped back into his seat and turned on the bus. The bus didn’t start. I looked at my other classmates and saw that they were all scared. They didn’t know what was going on. About five minutes later, the bus driver tried again. This time the bus started up. Sam and I were so relieved. It was still storming as we headed back to the school. Big gray clouds filled the sky and thunder so loud like when you knock down bowling pins. While the bus was heading down the muddy dirt road, I looked back at the house and thought how lucky Sam and I were that we survived. We arrived back at school an hour or so later. While we were getting off the bus some of the other classmates came over to Sam and I to ask what happened and why we had to leave so soon. Sam didn’t want to tell what had happened and I didn’t want to either. Mr. Wilson came over and told the kids to leave us alone. 

A few weeks went by since the incident happened. Sam and I were still a little bit shaken up. But something strange has been happening to me, especially at home. When ever I have been taking a shower there has been a strange shadow behind the curtain. I pull back the curtain to see what is there. But nothing is there. Another incident happened when I walked down stairs to the basement. I looked over where we have our old rocking chair in the corner. And rocking back and forth was a mysterious shadow. This gave me goosebumps. I keep thinking to myself. Did this mysterious orb attach it’s spirit to me and followed me home?