Lockdown | Teen Ink

Lockdown

February 11, 2022
By Anonymous

Author's note:

This piece was origionally made by me and a friend of mine. We continued to develop it as a short story, hoping to get in NaNoWriMo. We didn't finish the requirement, but we found this site and thought it was a way to get read.

Chapter 1 - The Noise

 

I heard the loud metallic clanging of a locker door, and my eyes darted away from my essay to see what was happening. Ms.Wrightner looked up from hers and walked out of the room to see what had happened. We all got a ping from the school site on our phones, and pulled them out immediately to see what was going on. I was the first to see it. I said right away, ¨WRIGHTNER!!!¨ That was the class code word for Lockdown. We all crept toward the little cutout in between the classrooms for this situation. I shut the doors behind us, and locked them tight. I pulled my phone back out of my pocket, and quietly called the police. Once they confirmed that they were coming, I huddled into the corner. All our phones softly buzzed again, creating an anxious atmosphere in our little shelter. We each got an amber alert, meaning someone just went M.I.A.


Apparently, the locker door thing was someone getting our attention. Ms.Wrightner hasn't come back yet from investigating, so I wonder what has happened. I took the dangerous risk of stepping outside of the classroom. With the broken leg of a chair, of course. Then, when I looked at what happened, someone had destroyed the whole row of lockers. I tried calling the front office, the destruction hotline, everything, but everyone went AWOL. I started to run back to class, but all of the lights went out, and I couldn't see anything. Then I heard a familiar voice in the distance, ¨Cam? Are you out there?¨  My heart skipped several beats as I replied, Ïzzie! Iḿ over here!¨ I heard her black combat boots clopping against the floor as my best friend ran in my direction, and I ran in hers. ¨Izzie? Are you OK? What happened?¨ I asked. ¨I….saw….someone…...run…..away...¨ She panted. ¨Let's go to the hideout….Assuming we can find the way back….¨ I told her. We pulled out our cellphones and turned on our flashlight apps. I saw a few strange things, but nothing that's not seen on a regular middle school-basis. We walked back to the classroom as quietly as we could. Then, Izzie got an idea, ¨Wait, we will probably be here for a while. Let´s stash-and-dash the cafe´¨ She suggested. I agreed, and we grabbed our empty backpacks to stock up. We stashed dinner rolls, fries, burgers, water, and so much more delicious food. We even grabbed some cookies, then we headed back to the little nook in a hurry.


When we got back, people saw us with our bags, stuffed to the gills with food, and they asked a kajillion questions. Most of them were asking what happened, are we OK, and what was in the bag. I opened up mine with the drinks and Izzie opened hers with the food. We started divvying up the provisions for everyone, and they asked where we got it. We continued handing things out as the next door class filed in. We saw no teachers, and so we were all alone. Izzie asked if we should grab some more stuff, I thought that was a good idea. On our way back, I grabbed some medical supplies from the nurse's office. Izzie, being Izzie, grabbed the fire extinguisher for some random/totally Izzie reason. We headed back in a hurry, and even tried a couple doors, just to see if we could escape in the near future. We jiggled every handle, lock, and, well, window (Izzie´s idea) and it was all locked from the outside,( however that works) so we just decided to head on back. That's when I heard it. The footsteps of the robber, criminal, whatever this person was. We ran quietly to the room, and locked the nook´s little door. Everyone quietly cheered as if we were heroes. I grabbed myself some chicken nuggets, a dinner roll, and a water bottle. We all started eating, as if I needed to queue the feasting. We called to order, and told everyone the news, ¨Guys, I really am sorry, but when Izzie and I checked, all of the teachers were gone, everything was locked from the outside. We´re stuck in here.¨ Everyone groaned, but then my other best friend, Phoebe, came up to speak. ¨We should all separate into groups, get the sixth graders, and head downstairs in those groups.¨ You really can count on her to make a solution for an impossible situation. Everyone agreed we should head downstairs to the eighth graders, because we can lock the intruder out.


After we were downstairs, a group of two people per grade went with their packs to the cafe´, because strength is in the numbers. I may have grabbed the fire extinguisher just in case situations… hehehe. We all tiptoed to the cafe´, and stocked up on food and drink to last for weeks. We replenished on medical supplies too and stole teacher chargers from the AV room for calls and lighting. By the time night fell, almost everyone was asleep. The brave group (including Izzie and I) introduced ourselves, and took up command while we were locked in the school. The sixth graders were a boy and a girl, Evan and Kori. The eighth graders were two boys, my friend Jaydin and his friend Marc. We all took turns for night-watch, and when it was my turn, I didn't need to wake anyone up, that's for sure. We heard a loud series of bangs coming from upstairs, that I knew you could only hear in the basement. ¨It' coming from the gym!¨ Phoebe shouted. ¨Are you sure?¨ Jaydin asked. I was already out of the room. The group followed me as I dashed up the stairs at triathlon speeds. I undid the lock, threw open the doors and rushed to the gym. When I got there, I (again) threw some innocent doors open to where they would probably squeak for the rest of their days. As I took in the sights, they came up behind me, Jaydin asking just what I was thinking, leaving them behind. Mid-lecture, he looked up to see the words graffitied on the walls, ¨No Escape¨

 

As we stared at the words, trying to process, it turned out that there was a lot going on. I got a text from Phoebe commanding me to come back downstairs to the art room, where we were hiding out. The text snapped me out of my haze, and we dashed downstairs. After locking the door back, I ran at top speed to the art room. Just as I started to open the art room door, the others caught up. ¨Please please PLEASE slow down next time!¨ Evan begged. ¨Mm.. It depends on the situation.¨ I replied sarcastically. We walked into the classroom  and I immediately knew something was WAY off. I looked and I noticed that a few kids had gone missing. 

So apparently 6 kids went missing when they went searching for some clues. Zoe, Harper, Aaron, Kiya, Niko, and Gage. All of which are my friends. Only my friends have been put in danger, or witnessed my other friends in danger. I have a feeling this means something more. As I filtered through all the negative encounters I had, Jaydin was shouting in my ear trying to snap me out of it. He's known me for years, and he knew why I was in outer space. ¨Please don´t tell me you're overthinking this and making some crazy plans!¨ He knew exactly what I was doing, so I replied, ¨Nope.¨ with a very sarcastic tone.  Of course, he picked up on it immediately. Phoebe walked over, (Jaydin´s sis) and she took a 2 second glance at my face, and said, ¨I know what you´re thinking, and NO!!¨ Thing is, I already got Izzie to help me.


Izzie and I snuck out that night with a bag of food, two water bottles, med supplies, (Izzie obviously grabbed the fire extinguisher) and we turned on our phone lights and headed out to find the M.I.A. 


We searched and searched the school, every place we could think of, but we couldn't find them. We even looked in the ceiling where all of the power stuff is, but they were nowhere to be found. 


We started heading back, but then Izzie spotted something. ¨OMIGODICANTBELIEVEIJUSTFOUNDITNOWAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!¨ She shouted in my face. ¨What? Are you fine?¨ I asked. ¨NO I JUST FOUND MY MISSING HOMEWORK!!!!¨ She replied. ¨Uh, you DO know that the teachers are all nowhere to be found, right?¨ I reminded her. She totally blocked me out and worked on it anyway, of course, Izzie, being Izzie.  


When we got back, our food and drinks were picked clean, and everyone was asleep. ¨We´ll get some more supplies in the morning¨ I decided. We took off one of the million curtains Mrs.Davison had on the window, split it, and we huddled underneath and drifted to a MUCH needed sleep.


Izzie shook me awake the next morning, shouting something about homework and bananas. I looked up tiredly and whispered, ¨you were just dreaming Izz.¨ She started to huddle under her part of the curtain again when I noticed something. The footsteps we usually hear are gone! I immediately ran upstairs to see, and no one was to be found! Better yet, someone ordered fresh clothes, and there were WAY too many packages in front of the door. I tried throwing a chair at the glass door to get them (My boyfriend, Noah, taught me. We don't ask questions), because the nurses´ supply had WAY too many clothes of the same freaking size. I tried and tried, but it was looking as though we had to keep using the school gym washer/dryer, wrapped in locker room towels, separated by girls and boys, waiting for the old hunks of metal to finish washing/drying our only clothes.


It has been a whole week since we were originally trapped here. Izzie has been carving the tallies in her old desk. I had counted them, and seven tally marks were carved lazily into her desk with some scissors from the art teacher's desk. I went out again to scout for the invader, and all was nice and quiet, undisturbed. I thought that this was very strange, and as I was thinking it over, someone crashed into me from behind, sending stabs of pain up my back, knocking me to the floor. I adjusted my head to see my attacker, and it was Izzie…. She said something about kids in black,  spray paint, and uh, Skittles…. That is her dog´s name, so I was obviously very confused. When she got off, Phoebe came running and crashed into Izzie, causing her to fall over and also shouting about kids in black with spray paint. Jaydin texted me while I tried to get up, telling me what had happened. Apparently, those six that were missing? They were helping the invader. 

The author's comments:

This is all I have this is the short story version. Look out for the complete one! Thank you for reading!!!! I am so glad you did!!! :)

¨I can't believe that they did this to us, put us in danger like this!¨ Marc started shouting from the stairs. ¨WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!?!?¨ Phoebe started shouting. ¨Why haven't you been helping me with the food?¨ Evan shouted at Kori. ¨Why haven't you been helping me with securing the art room?¨ She shouted back at him. I just shook my head and walked over to Izzie. ¨We are never going to be able to keep this up if everyone acts like this all the time,¨ I mumbled. ¨All I know is that everyone is being a jerk to each other, and that's enough for me to agree.¨ She told me. We were making our way back to the art room when the power went off. Izzie checked her cellphone, and no bars. I pulled mine out and the second I logged in, there was a news story already published. I clicked into it, and the first words I saw in the headline were, ''Middle schoolers get trapped in buildings with no teachers''. 


''How did they find out? Why post about it? And, most of all, WHY AREN'T THEY HELPING?!?!'' Phoebe asked. She started pacing the room, something she only does when she is overthinking things. I know this all sounds like crap, but this isn't coming from CNN, and uh, I am experiencing it, so I know first hand. We started piecing everything together. ''WHat do we know?'' Phoebe asked. ''We know that there is no one in the building but us middle schoolers, the invader dude left his captives, being us, six kids betrayed us and went along with him, both you and Izzie SAW them, we can't throw chairs at the glass to get out, I mean… whaaaaa? 

Throw chairs? Who said anything about that?!?'' I said. ''You threw chairs at a window? Why am I surprised?'' Phoebe quipped. I smiled mischievously at her, and she just rolled her eyes. 


I dug through my bag, and I pulled everything out. We decided we are taking an inventory of everything we have, and I dunno if my stuff would help. It was packed with art stuff, and things for my youtube channel, TheArtistLive. Spray paint, regular paint, paintbrushes, colored pencils, sketchbooks, shading kit, more paint, my phone, my charger, my tripod, my light, more paint, and so on. Phoebe looked at all of my stuff, then back to my Color Dreamers (A Miami muralist group) backpack. ''Wow, they really do give good pay.'' she said. Miami art materials are very expensive in this part of the city, and if you have a lot of it, you're considered richer than rich among the teens. I am a well known artist and I have a lot of art stuff. I also help with interior painting, because it’s common to see murals in homes around my part of town, and it’s all the more cash, so why not? I´m rambling again. ANYWAY. Taking Inventory. We had enough food in all to last about a week and then some, each person had water. The plumbing wasn’t shut off, thank god. We also raided the first aid a week earlier, and kids get so many scrapes it’s not even funny. After we had patched up, I was walking around for patrol with Marc. We were headed back to the art room when we heard foreign footsteps coming our way. We started running. We almost made it when, I felt something crash into my back, and the world went dark.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.