Hang in there Mylène Moreau | Teen Ink

Hang in there Mylène Moreau

February 18, 2022
By Anonymous

College classes had ended for the summer at the University of Alabama at Birmingham for Mylène. She was ready to go to the chili contest with her grandmother. She went to tell all of her friends goodbye. She's holding back tears, upset that she won't be able to see them until next fall. Mylène had sprinted to her beat-down rusty brown 1992 Mercedes Benz, although she's been living here for seven years and she was wearing her infamous white summer dress that was as white as the first layer of snow on green grass and was as flowy as a ballerina's skirt. The summer's heat still makes her melt. She gets in her car and turns on her air conditioning, then calls her grandmother on her car phone to tell her that she's coming over. Unfortunately, for Mylène her car doesn't do so well in the extreme 109-degree weather. She has to hurry before it gets even more suffocatingly scalding than it already is. She honks to her friends before peeling out the gravel parking lot.

Mylène has been on the road for an hour when she notices that her tire pressure is low and that she's running out of gas. She finds a local gas station using a map she found in her glovebox. After getting to the gas station she had gone inside to pay for gas. A man at the counter had asked her,” Yous from ‘round here where is it that you coming from?” in a deep southern accent that sounded like sandpaper was rubbing against his voice box. “Oh come on little girl we ain't gon’ hurt you we can help you out with your car.”He kept on insisting that she would need help before leaving here if she wanted to get where she was going. She had a quiver in her voice telling the man no as politely as possible to not make him angry. Considering that Mylène was only about 5’2 and about 5’4 in the wedges she was wearing she couldn't compare to the 6 '4 burly man behind the counter, one of his hands could wrap around her neck twice. After paying for her gas she went outside to see a man sitting outside smoking a cigarette, clothes drenched with gas and oil but his boots were spotless. His hat had the gas station's name on it, Investigative Gas Aid. The chair he was sitting in was worn down as if it was sitting in the rain for days at a time, but it hasn't rained in years. The chair was missing a leg, there was a large scruffy gray dog with three legs and a nub in the front with the name tag having the name Wolf on it. The man had started pumping her gas for Mylène. She made small talk with the man before he cut her off to tell her about her tires.``Sorry to tell you ma'am but your tires seem a bit low on air, I'll fix ‘em for you. Just go on ‘head sit in that chair where Wolf is, she doesn't bite.” She allowed him to fill her tires, while fixing her tires he had gone inside the car and cut her phone line for her car phone and slashed her back tires. He walked up to her wiping his hands from the dirt of her tires and told her,” Well your tires are now full, you better get to wherever yous going bout now it's gonna start getting dark, and a girl like you shouldn't be out this late, drive safe now.”

She drove off and within an hour her car had come to a complete stop, she stepped out of her car to notice that her back tires were completely blown out. She went back into her car to make a call to her grandmother that she was going to be late, but her phone line had been cut. She decided to ditch her car and walk to the house that she had seen nearby, it was covered in moss and scrap metal on the roof. There was a basement next to the patio with flies hovering above it, the first red flag but she decided to not turn back. Besides, her stomach had begun to rumble. She realized she'd have to eat something soon or her stomach would eat itself.

She walked to the house and knocked on the front door, but nobody had answered so she opened the door. The smell hit her whenever she first stepped in, it was as if someone died in here. There were maggots all over the floor and mice in the ceiling. She could hear their feet puttering like rain. She said,” Hello, is anybody here?” There was a faint voice that sounded like it was coming from the back of the house, she walked towards the backroom having to squeeze through the long dark hallway. When Mylène reached the room where she heard the voice she saw three men all wearing the same hat the man at the gas station was wearing with different colored stained flannel shirts. Her stomach had growled once again, wincing in pain this time from how hungry she was. One of the men heard her stomach, “Was that you? We can't be havin’ all that. Please come eat, we just finished cookin’ up some gumbo, sit in my seat and I’ll bring you a bowl.” When she got her bowl it smelled like it was from a five-star restaurant. Her first bowl was exquisite, she couldn't stop eating, bowl after bowl eventually one of the men had to stop her. “Woah now, save some for the rest of us. This is gonna be your last bowl and imma make it extra special just for you.” one of the men said as he got up to make her another bowl. He had placed down the bowl and she went to take her first bite, something had seemed off about this bowl. “Have you put anything in this bowl it seems extremely bitter” Mylène had said before letting her spoon sink into the gumbo. She gets up and takes her bowl into the kitchen to put into the sink, one of the men forgot to put what was used in her bowl of gumbo away. She drops her bowl and it shatters everywhere alerting the men, running into the kitchen they catch her putting the flunitrazepam into her pocket. The now furious Mylène begs to know what she did, “What were you planning on doing to me? I know exactly what this is, it's the most popular date rape drug and I won't be going down without a fight.”

She ran through the dark hallway to the main entrance, the whole house was shaking from the three men chasing her. When she got close to the front door she had slipped a rotting mouse corpse and hit her head knocking her unconscious. One of the men called the men from the gas station to bring Wolf, while he was doing that the other two men had taken Mylène’s body to the basement. They chain her to the wall next to an advanced decaying body that was covered in maggots with a rancid hole in her stomach where a rat had eaten through. Mylène wakes up in dazed confusion, she opens her eyes and sees the man from the gas station right in front of her, she headbutts him in an attempt to get him away from her. That angers him, he gets back in her face she could smell the alcohol on his breath before he punches her in the stomach then in the face making her nose bleed like a fountain and for her to throw up the gumbo she had eaten earlier. Before he leaves, he brings his dog down into the basement to watch her, “Touch her and you’ll wish I did worse.” He threw something into her bowl, something in the shape of a small arm before going back upstairs and closing the doors to the basement.“Somebody help me, please! I shouldn't be here, I’m dying.” Mylène screams until she can't even whisper it hurts so much. She screams into the void but nobody hears her.

The next few days somebody opens the basement doors and comes down with the sounds of a screaming girl at least five, they lay her on the butcher table and start sawing at her arms and legs until it goes silent. She was wearing a white dress like Mylène now covered in red. The man had turned on the television to the news Mylène had seen a sketch of one of the men who had kidnapped her,” Tonight on the news we have gotten more information on the Little Red Riding Hood murders. Each victim had been wearing white, and each time they were found their clothes were covered in blood from the Y-shaped cut starting at their collar bones going down to their lower stomachs.” Mylène felt nauseous after hearing the news, the man turned the television off and went back upstairs.

Later that evening, one of the men from the house came to the basement and unchained Mylène so she could eat. He went back upstairs and locked the basement. Wolf had the key around her neck. Mylène tried to attack Wolf but failed and she got mauled by the dog until she was almost bleeding out. Her skin looked like a degloving accident, her intestines were jumbled on the floor almost about to burst. She was able to muster one sentence with the energy she had left,” I won't die in this basement.” She gathered up her intestines and put them back in, but they spilled back out. She couldn’t go on, her fate was decided for her whenever she got down to the basement. With the last of her energy, she lay on her back and thought about how this would all be different if she didn't go to that gas station. These women had suffered the same fate she had all with different levels of decomposition, some missing limbs, some missing parts of their noses and eyes. The basement was dark and decrepit with a layer of dark red almost black human blood sticking to the floor covered in maggots, Mylène soon will become maggot food with the rest of the people with her.

A week later the chili cookoff still happened, it was Mylène’s favorite time of year. Everyone had come out including her grandmother and her parents. The men had to dispose of Mylène’s body but the surrounding area was too busy, they had decided to cut the meat off her legs and use it for chili so they could dump the body and use the excuse that they were going to the chili contest. They had loaded Mylène’s bloated body into the back of the truck covered with a red sheet and the chili into the back of the truck and they were on their way.

Mylène’s body was dropped off in front of her grandmother's house, hung from a tree in her front yard. The men drove off to the chili contest, Mylène’s parents were the judges and had to taste all of the chili including the men. Their chili had won first place and the parents took the rest of it home to enjoy. Whenever her parents got to the grandmother's house to drop her off they had seen the body of Mylène hanging from her weeping willow tree. The branch snapped, dropping Mylène’s body thirty feet, making her body explode and getting blood all over her grandmother and the parents. A rolled-up piece of paper was in the mouth of Mylène, it was her missing poster.

Three weeks later, the funeral was held, it was an open casket where she was surrounded by loved ones and people from the community. The family finished picking up any cards given to them and headed home. At home, they started opening the letters gifted to them and one of them said, ‘Hang in there!’ with a picture of Mylène’s dead body at the bottom on the back it said ‘You're Next.’ The disappearance of Mylène Moreau was solved. There will be more if the family doesn't leave soon.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.