Batman:The Darkest Riddle | Teen Ink

Batman:The Darkest Riddle

The scene is set in Gotham city on a cold and rainy night as Batman surveys over the city perched on an old gargoyle that sits atop the old church in the downtown district. The streets have been quite empty the past few months in Gotham, other than than the occasional wandering thug or gangs of them. Despite this sense of security, Batman knows that Gothams streets will soon be riddled with something sinister, something more than a gang, or drug dealings, something…puzzling. 

“Alfred, do you have any leads on the Riddler?” Says Batman into his built in comms, with the Riddler being the only major villain not captured and secured in the GCPD after the breakout that occured months before. “No sir, with next to no crime in the streets or green question marks around Gotham, it will be no easy task to find him.” said Alfred in response. “Ok, update me on any leads in the case.” Batman says, Alfred responds, “Will do sir.”

After hanging up with Alfred, Batman looks around, the rain beginning to fall faster but not much faster. Then suddenly a small moving van flys under the gargoyle Batman is perched on. He figures it could be some kind of supply shipment for something suspicious and swoops down to chase the vehicle. Diving while gliding to pick up speed to land on the van was a difficult task since the van was moving at a high speed but when Batman managed to land on top of the vehicle, he found it difficult to stay onto the top due to the rain making the roof slippery. Batman overhears the driver and passenger talking to each other, “did you hear that?” said one of them, “Hear what?” the other one said in response, “That loud thumping noise, then like a sliding.” said the first one, “I dunno, maybe the rain is picking up again?” said the second. “Alright, but that still doesn’t explain the thumping” said the first one, “Well as long as it isn’t the bat, then we’ll be fine.” said the second one, “Wait, how do you know it isn’t the bat?” said the first one in a scared and quiet tone. “Trust me if the bat was on top of the van he would have pulled us out and kicked our *sses by now” said the second one reassuring the first man. “Yea you're right, now let's get this stuff to the drop off point” said the first one in a sturdier tone, seemingly believing his assailant. At this point Batman knew he had to stay on top of the van, this may finally be the break he was looking for. 

Whilst on top of the van Batman activated his detective vision, to see if he could get a glimpse inside of the van, but the walls were impenetrable to the waves used for the caped crusader's detective vision, so he waited. The two men went silent for a while, maybe 5 minutes before one of them asked “Hey, how much longer till we get there?”, “in like 30 seconds.” the 

other responded. Batman took his chance and grappled off to glide above the vehicle and land on a vantage point to overlook the drop off point. As the van came to halt, the two men jumped out of the van and went towards the back to unload the equipment. Batman swung across the top to another perch in the small space behind a few buildings, the two men began unloading heavy electrical equipment and many dark green spray paint cans and many, very jagged, question mark stencils (which was odd considering all previous riddler schemes, included spray paints that were bright green with clean question marks) into a small garage like structure in the back of one of the buildings.

At this point Batman knew he had found the break he was looking for. When the men were done unloading, Batman pulled out a batarang and flung it at the man on the passenger side door, knocking the man to the ground.This prompted the man on the driver's side to look back up in horror, as he frantically hopped into the van and sped off, Batman threw a tracking device onto the van, which also meant the thug left behind his assailant for Batman to interrogate. Batman swooped down right next to the thug, and as he began to put his boot on the side of the thug's head, the thug tried to hold off Batman's boot in protest, but was unsuccessful. “What do you want!” Yelled the thug in fear. “Where’s the Riddler?” Batman said in a low and menacing tone. “I dunno, I just move his supplies for him!” Said the thug, wincing in pain. “Thanks, but you won’t be delivering anything for the Riddler anymore.” said Batman. “Please don’t hurt me.” The thug said in a low, whimpery voice. “I can’t promise that.” said Batman. Batman released his boot of the thug's face which was covered in a combination of heavy rain and sweat, Batman then came down and knocked him unconscious with a blow to the head.

“Alfred, I got the lead we’ve been looking for.” said Batman to Alfred through the comms. “Oh, good sir, what is it?” said Alfred in a surprised tone. “I followed a speedy moving van to a drop off point where they dropped off equipment related to the Riddler, so I knocked one of them down, and threw a tracking device on the van. Anyways I am sending you the location of this drop off point for later reference.” Batman told Alfred. “Well great sir, hopefully now we can keep the streets of Gotham even safer.” said Alfred in a cheery tone. Batman would stick around and destroy all the equipment and empty out the small garage. He then went to the front door of the residence that contained the garage to see if he could find any further evidence.

Batman approached the door and knocked on the decaying wood, but he got no response. Batman knew the door was weak, so he geared back to blow down the door and the door gave way, crumbling to the ground. When inside Batman surveyed the small hallway that led to a winding staircase that went far into the ground, but before he went in he noticed a handful of dark green question marks. Then, suddenly the lights went out and on came a barrage of bright purple light. They were UV lights and the previously dark green question marks were illuminated to become a bright neon green and the walls and ceiling were covered in the special paint. “Alfred make a note to add UV light vision to my cowl.” Batman said through his comms. “Will do sir.” Alfred said in response. Batman then walked towards the staircase and headed down them.

At the bottom awaited a large dark room. Then behind him a spotlight turned on, and the opening to the staircase shut. Batman turned around to find a bloody and beaten man hanging by his hands. “Help…Me” the man said, shaking to get the words out. Batman activated his detective vision, but it was distorted and started to make his head hurt. The walls had built in disruptors. To Batman's left however, a screen rolled down the wall and to his right a projector turned on. The projector projected a dark figure in a dark green trench coat, and a dark green fedora, rounded glasses and a face shrouded in darkness. This wasn’t the riddler Batman remembered. “Hello...Batman.” Said the riddler in a dark deep tone. “If you haven’t noticed yet my wardrobe has changed a little which means my Enigmas are a little different.” “As you might see the man hanging from the wall is in serious need of medical attention, but unless you are able to get to the riddler trophy in the cage behind you, he will die and so will you.” “How? You may ask.” “Well I managed to obtain a sample of Cranes fear gas, except I have made a few tweaks to it, like making it more volatile, and changing the color to a lovely Green.” “Good luck Batman.” “Tick...tock goes the clock.”

After the message was done playing, Batman looked behind him to see the riddler trophy locked in an electrical cage, and beside it were a timer with 10 minutes, and a UV flashlight. “Also Batman 10 minutes is me being very generous” said the riddler through a comms unit in the room. Batman flicked on the UV light and shone it around the room, one wall 

was illuminated with the phrase “What has 13 HEARTS, but no organs????” Batman looked around pondering over the phrase before seeing a desk with a computer, and a deck of green playing cards. He flipped the deck over to find a piece of paper, he unfolded it revealing a password, “BlindAsABat”. Batman looked at the computer and propped it open and typed in the password and it opened into a small video message, the message proceeded “Congratulations Batman (a small metallic click sounds, alerting Batman that the cage had opened), you solved my riddle, however a small child could complete this room, but then again it is the little things for you, isn’t it.” Batman slammed the computer shut. After Batman picked up the trophy the staircase opened. Batman walked over to the hanging man and cut him down with his gauntlets, putting the man on his shoulders, and walked up the stairs.

Once outside, Batman altered the GMC (Gotham Medical Center) of where the Riddler victim was. “Why you?” Batman asked the bloodied man. “I dunno, I was walking home when I was struck in the back of the head… and then I got kidnapped by some man in a dark green trench coat, though I couldn’t see his face, I knew there was a monster behind those glasses. He then began painting the room and setting it up for you, because he “knew you would come” and he only left me there for a couple of hours before you showed up.” said the man. Batman replied “Do you know where he went?” “No, he just told me he was headed off for his next...Enigma.” said the man. “Thank you, The GMC is on their way, stay out of the rain if you can.” said Batman, grappling off into the night sky, returning to the Bat Cave.

Batman Glided through the night sky polluted with the lights of Gotham, and as Wayne Manor approached closer, the night became tired, and so did Batman. He glided through a secret entrance in the back of Wayne manor to enter the batcave. When inside, Batman found the Batcomputer took off his cowl and collapsed into the chair. “Are you ok sir?” Alfred’s voice rang suddenly, “You haven’t done much of anything tonight, why the tired look?” “I don’t know Alfred, maybe it's from sitting around all day looking for leads on the Riddler.” said Bruce (Batman). “Very well sir, also I equipped your cowl with that UV light vision you asked for.” Alfred responded. “Thanks Alfred” Bruce answered back. “The riddler isn’t the same, Alfred.” Bruce's voice rang out after a moment of silence. “What do you mean sir?” Alfred responded. “He’s got a darker color palette, and now he is picking off seemingly random people, he is usually very particular with his victims, like paramedics, or just heros to the people, people that represent hope, but now he’s choosing seemingly random people, It's just weird.” Batman said in a lower tone, while looking like he was thinking. “You sound worried Bruce, are you sure he's not messing with your head, maybe that's why he’s changed up his act.” Alfred responded. “Maybe.” Batman responded. “We can finish this tomorrow.” “Ok Bruce” said Alfred.

The next night, Bruce is reflecting on what happened the night before. Then a thought pops into his head, “How did Riddler get Crane’s fear toxin?” Batman got up, put on his cowl, headed towards the exit, paused for a second and then glided off into the night. “Alfred, I’m going to the GCPD (Gotham City Police Department)” said Batman into his comms. “Ok, sir. May I inquire why exactly?” responded Alfred. “Crane. I think he’s the key to all of this.” Batman responded.

After entering the GCPD, Batman approached the front desk. “Batman, good to see you here!” said Jim Gordon (The police commissioner) sounding surprised. “I’m here to see Scarecrow, if you could set up the interrogation chamber.” Responded Batman. “Yeah, we can do that. But if I could ask, Why?” Jim responded. “Riddler had a sample of Crane’s gas, and I have a feeling that if I can find the production plant of the fear toxin, I might just find riddler.” said Batman. “Oh, sounds great.” Responded Jim headed off to get Crane while another officer went to set up the interrogation chamber.

After waiting in the interrogation chamber for a few minutes, Jim came in with two other police officers and Crane who was in cuffs. Crane was wearing the usual tattered clothes with lots of stiching and ropes holding his garb together. Jim sat him down and the guards went to cover the door and survey the conversation. Jim left the room and Crane's deep voice floated quietly through the air “Are you here to talk to me out of fear for Gotham...Batman?” “Riddler, tell me what you know.” Batman said ignoring Crane's question. “Ah, Riddler…(A quietness fell upon them) I haven’t seen him since the breakout a few months ago.” Said Crane still speaking with a low raspy voice. “Don’t lie to me Crane.” Said Batman, with annoyance in his voice. “I’m telling the truth Batman, if I wasn’t then you would be able to tell, wouldn’t you detective?” Crane responded, keeping his voice low. “Don’t play these games with me Crane!” Batman said, his voice booming through the chamber. “Fine, what do you want to know, Batman?” said Crane, his voice still low and almost floating through the chamber. “Your fear toxin, the Riddler was able 

to get a hold of it, where would he have found it?” Batman said, lowering his voice. “The last place I produced my toxin would have been...at…let me think...I really don’t know Batman.” said Crane, almost confused sounding. “This is your last chance Crane, Where was the last place you produced it!?” Said Batman, infuriated at the lack of information. “I couldn’t tell you that Batman.” said Crane, his voice low and steady. “Fine, I'll find it myself!” Batman said as he turned to exit the chamber before turning around and saying “You’ll regret not telling me Crane.”

“Jim, I need a sample of Crane’s fear gas from his injection gauntlets back in the evidence room.” Batman said loudly, his voice prompting every officer in the vicinity to look at him. “Yeah, we can do that Batman.” said Jim who began to head to the evidence room. After a short while Jim walked back out with a tube of the toxin and handed it to Batman. “Is this what you were looking for?” asked Jim. “Yes, thanks Jim.”Said Batman heading for the doors to go back to the Batcave.

Once in the Batcave, Batman sat down in front of the batcomputer to analyze the fear toxin from the evidence room back at the GCPD. “Alfred, I've obtained a sample of the fear toxin from Crane, I can use it’s unique chemical trace to track down the production plant the Riddler found.” said Batman into his comms. “Ah, very good sir, does this mean we could be close to apprehending him?” Said Alfred in response. “Not necessarily, he’s probably somewhere else, but if I shut down the plant he won’t be able to use such a treacherous chemical in his “Enigmas”.” Said Batman, not certain on apprehending the Riddler, but instead stopping his use of chemical agents. “That makes sense, well then, very good sir.” said Alfred. Batman put the vial of toxin into a small box shaped piece of equipment which took in the vial as a latch closed over top of it. A minute or two later the Batcomputer popped a screen which read, ”NOTICE: CHEMICAL AGENT DETECTED AND NEUTRALIZED” “Alfred I’ve figured out what the agent is, and I’ve calibrated the Batwing to pick up high traces of the toxin, if you could launch it that would be appreciated.” said Batman into his comms. “Will do, Master Bruce” said Alfred in return. Only a few seconds had passed when a loud roar, and a piercing zip boomed through the batcave, indicating that the batwing had been sent out to scan for the chemical.

Batman turned to the batcomputer, and switched over to the map with the hot spots from the Batwings scan of Gotham. “Alfred, the Batwing is picking up the chemical trace in three diffrent locations, one on the south side of Miagani island, one on the north side of Founders island, and one on the north east side of Bleake island.” Said Batman into his comms. “Well then sir you should get going on that then.” said Alfred in response. Batman headed towards the exit of the batcave, and grappled off back into the night. 

Batman glided through the city to get to the northside of Founders island, and when he arrived he noticed that the plant was at the old Sionis steel mill. Batman thought that this was an odd place to mass produce chemicals. He walked into the steel mill, the heat piercing his suit, which meant the place was still in operation, which was also odd because they would be producing metal and fear toxin all at once. Then a voice could be heard in the other room “Alright, the boss wants this place held down, apparently he knows the Batman will be here soon, so be on your toes men!”. Batman opened the door and grappled up to a vantage point in the mill. In the middle of the room, surrounded by molten steel was an opening in the ground with two men talking to each other by the stairwell side of it, on the upper railing was 2 men slowly walking around at a slow pace, on the bottom floor was another 2 walking around the perimeter of the room, and in the control room was 1 thug chilling back surveying the room. Batman began surveying his first move, like a game of chess. After thinking for a few seconds, Batman swung down to the control room on the third walkway (both walkways are suspended kinda like a window cleaners trolley.) Batman activated his detective mode and searched for a sneakier way in other than the door, and he found it, a ceiling grate right above the guard. Batman climbed the side of the control room. And crouched over the ceiling grate. He opened it slowly, and fell quietly behind the man (The sound of the steel being pounded drowned out the sound from Batman's fall) He approached him and threw his arm around the man's neck and put his other hand over his mouth, the man struggled for a breath trying to pull himself out from the head lock, and trying to scream but it was to no avail. He fell limp in a matter of seconds, one down, six more to go, Batman let the thugs body drop slowly before leaving the control room. Once outside Batman hopped onto the railing and looked around, his next target was chosen and he glided gracefully down to the second walkway and crouched out of sight of the other thug on the walkway, and slowly began to sneak up behind the man. Once directly behind the thug Batman kicked one of his feet out, the thug fell backwards into Batman’s arms and he put him into the same headlock from earlier, but once his body went limp his rifle fell to the ground with a loud clanking sound. “What the hell, someone go check what that was!” yelled one of the 

men in the middle. Batman grappled up and over to another vantage point behind the two men in the middle, and swooped down behind them. Batman stood up, grabbed the sides of the two men’s skulls and smashed them together making them fall into a heap, then bullets came flying at him from the three men remaining. He grappled up and started to grapple between vantage points rapidly. “He went up!” “I can’t see him!” “Dammit I lost him!” the three thugs cried out. Batman stopped, he had instilled fear into them. Batman turned on his detective vision and started to survey the room again, then he noticed a weak wall close to one of the men. He swooped down behind a few walls and creeped up to the weak wall, and took out a small spray paint gun looking item and began to spray a gel-like substance onto the wall in a bat shape. He creeped out from the walls and grappled up and waited for the thug to approach the wall. Once close enough to the wall Batman pressed a button on the gel gun, and the wall detonated, sending the thug flying a few feet and knocking him unconscious. “What the hell was that!?” “I dunno, you go check!” “There ain’t no way I’m going over there” the two thugs argued. Perfect, Batman thought. He swooped down behind the thug closest to the door, grabbed him around the neck, turned him around, and brought him to the ground violently, and punched the back of his skull once. “Hey man, come in! Come in! Ah sh*t, I gotta get outta here!” The thug said in a panic. Batman grappled up and hung himself by the feet and curled his cape around him like a bat on a cave ceiling as he waited for the thug to approach the door. When the thug got to the door Batman lowered himself and snatched up the guard and came soaring back up repositioning himself. He stood on the vantage point holding the thug by the neck. “Riddler, talk!” Batman screamed in the thug's face. “I ain’t ever talking to you.” said the thug in a cowering voice. “Are you sure you want to play this game!?” Batman yelled, squeezing tighter and raising the thug a little. “Nev...er.” The thug said, trying to catch a breath. “Fine.” Batman said dropping the thug but before he could hit the ground a wire flew around his feet hanging him from the vantage point. Batman glided down to the stairwell and found a big vat of chemicals, The fear toxin. Batman walked over to the control panel. After swiping through options he found the one he was looking for he tapped it and a computerized voice said, “NEUTRALIZING AGENT DEPLOYED, TOXIN IS NOW SAFE TO INHALE.” Batman walked over to the glass vat, and sprayed the explosive gel onto the vat. He walked out of the room and headed towards the door just before blowing up the vat. A white smoke began to fill the room. “Jim, I’ve apprehended 7 in the Sionis steel mill.” said Batman into his comms. “Alright, good work Batman.” responded Jim. Batman walked out of the main doors, and headed off to the North East side of Bleake island.

Batman soared through the cold night air, his breaths almost solidifying mid-air, and the pale moonlight beating down on his suit. When Batman reached the source of the toxin, he approached Panessa Studios, the main movie filming studio in Gotham. Batman reached the front doors which were chilled over with Ice, but there hadn’t been a storm in Gotham in a while. He had to find another way in. Then he remembered the back door used for the actors and actresses. Batman grappled up off the signal tower, and glided over to the back side of the studio, which was located on the coast of Bleake island and had a small closed off road off-shoot. He dropped down to the door and entered into a large circular room with three stage rooms, a western stage, a music stage, and a haunted house stage, but the only one was covered in ice, the haunted house stage. Batman looked around for a way in and noticed a large electrical generator which heated the room. Batman took out a small REC (Remote Electrical Charge) and aimed at the Electrical generator, he fired the Charge 3 times and the room started to reach exceptionally hot temperatures Batman exited the room and when he stepped outside the air around him started to steam after a minute or two Batman heard a large pop, Batman tried to open the door but it was sealed shut the metal holding the door closed had welded together. “Alfred, can you send in the Batmobile?” said Batman into his comms. “Yes sir, I’m sending it right now” said Alfred. A sharp boom sounded near Batman and the Batwing flew in and dropped off the Batmobile and zipped off. Batman hopped in the Batmobile and entered battle mode, the 60mm cannon that popped out of the top of the Batmobile Fired successive rounds, blowing the door out of its place. Batman got out of the batmobile the hole that he left was smoldering from the blast and the heat from the inside. Batman stepped in the room, the generator was fried, but the ice wall was still not melted all the way through, but it was brittle. Batman pulled out the explosive gel, sprayed it on the wall, backed up and pressed the detonator, the ice shattered allowing Batman to walk to the stage. When he opened the door, the cold air rushed past him and immediately evaporated when it entered the other room, Batman walked in and inside was the frozen haunted house. Batman began to navigate his way through the icy and wooden barricades, then he reached the main house. Batman walked up the stairs and inside was Mr. Freeze. “Victor? I thought you were off with your wife, why are you back here?” asked Batman, Victor’s body turned towards Batman. “The question mark man has my wife, he promised that if I produced his toxin he would give me my wife back. I still have to make it more potent.” said Victor, his robotic voice bouncing around the room. “Victor, if you stop producing the toxin I will return your wife to you, I promise.” said Batman, trying to reason with Victor. “Fine Batman, but if you don’t deliver on your promise I will have to kill you and Nigma.” said Freeze in response only wanting to have his wife back. “Ok Victor, I don’t know how long it will be but do you know where he is?” said Batman. “No, Batman I am sorry.” said Freeze who began to shut off all the equipment and neutralize the gas. Batman walked out of the room and headed off for the Southside of Miagani island. 

Gliding through the night sky, the moon beat down on his cape, the stars scattered across the sky illuminating the ground. Whilst Gliding around, the red dot on his radar dissipated and a radio message played through his comms. “Well...Well...Well Batman, Come find me, reawaken the past where old Amadeus sleeps. And don’t keep me waiting Batman, the cold man's heart depends on it. Said Riddler. “Alfred, get the batwing ready, I’m headed to Arkham.” said Batman to Alfred through his comms. “Ok sir, but the Asylum hasn’t been accessible by the public in years.” responded Alfred. “I don't think that is stopping Riddler.” said Batman. “Very well sir.” said Alfred. Moments later the batwing arrived, Batman jumped into the cockpit and the batwing took off like a speeding bullet towards Arkham.

The batwing slowly lowered, kicking up dust, leaves, and pieces of debris due to the high powered jets that were equipped on the batwing. The cockpit slid back allowing Batman to protrude from the inside. Batman hopped out of the batwing and began walking slowly towards the decrepit, rotting, and crumbling asylum doors. Batman opened the door and walked into the main hall, standing motionless for a second analyzing the scene. He reached up to his cowl and activated the UV vision he had Alfred install. To no surprise the main hall was riddled with the vibrant jagged question marks from the apartments. Among these question marks was a phrase, “Where is this COOL place where you can't move, can't breathe, but are stuck with your CHILLING thoughts?". Batman took off toward the back end of the asylum where the cryo-chambers were located. Once at the end of another long rotting hall he came across an oddly clean door. He slowly opened the door and inside was a vast room full of large vats, and cryo-tubes, and on the railing guarded, open second floor of the vast room, he stood… The Riddler. “I’ve been waiting for this, Batman.” said the Riddler. “Where’s Nora?” said Batman. “Her heart seemed a bit cold, so I took her to the boiler room to thaw out.” said Riddler. The Riddler slowly turned around revealing a man in a dark green trench coat, round glasses, a dark green fedora, and dark green gloved hands, which rested on a dark green cane with a boxy question mark on the top. “You’re a monster Nigma.” Batman Growled. “That’s up to opinion, Batman.” “I would say that this is also quite the monster.” The riddler said as he pulled out a small controller which he pressed the single button on and a large door opened and out rolled a weak man suspended by many tubes all connected to a vat of glowing green chemicals labeled…VENOM. “Bane?” Batman said with confusion. “I thought he was dead?” said Batman pondering possibilities for his survival. “Me too, but low and behold sitting in a chamber hidden in the sewers, there he was, weak and dying.” Said Riddler. “And now…” he said, pulling out another 

remote.”It’s time to bring him some life.” said the Riddler. “Nigma, Don’t do it!” said Batman warning him of the repercussions. “Sorry Batman, It’s not personal.” Said the Riddler, his grin protruding from the darkness shrouding his face. He pressed the button and the tubes started to fill with the venom and Bane’s head shot up and he let out a deep scream that shot throughout the room. “Well Batman you have fun with Bane I hopefully won’t be seeing you later.” Said the Riddler, walking out of the back door, locking it behind him. Batman refocused on the problem at hand, Bane was squirming and twitching, He was massive. Then all of a sudden the tubes detached and he fell to the ground with a thunderous boom. The massive hulk of a human began to get up. “Batman.” Said Bane who had one goal in mind… “Kill the Bat”. Bane rushed at Batman who leaped out of the way. Batman surveyed the room while Bane was flailing at him and it came to him, the vats of freezing agents. He could bait Bane into falling into it, since he wasn’t ever the brightest in the room after his venom overdose years before. Batman grappled up above the Vat and bane followed up the stairs. Batman dropped down onto the walkway that led over the vat. “Time to die Batman!” Yelled Bane, Charging at Batman. Batman leaped backwards and glided to the ground safely, and unsurprisingly Bane fell into the vat, and the freezing agents started to harden around Bane. “Jim, Bane is in Arkham, I baited him into falling in a vat of freezing agent.” said Batman into his comms. “Bane? He’s Alive?” Responded Jim in disbelief. “Yes Jim he was in a hidden room in the sewers under Arkham.” said Batman. “Alright Batman,we are on our way.” said Jim, still confused by the sheer thought of Bane still being alive. “Alright I need to get to Nora before her time runs thin.” Said Batman taking off to find the boiler room. After running down a few halls, he came across a heavy metal door. He proceeded to turn the wheel on the door, and after using a lot of his strength the door flew open. “Oh sh*t! It’s the Bat!” yelled one of the two thugs who were holding Nora hostage. One of them threw a punch as Batman dodged it he threw a left hook sending the thug backwards on the ground. The other picked up a lead pipe and started swinging at Batman who blocked every swing with his wrist gauntlets. After a few blows Batman stops the pipe with his hands, yanks it from the thug who comes tumbling forward and Batman knocks him out with the same lead pipe. He throws it to the ground and heads over to Nora who is tied to a pipe, but before he can free her he hears the other thug running towards him, so Batman turns around and punches him to the ground knocking him unconscious. Batman turns back around and uses a Batarang to cut the rope binding Nora. “Let’s go.” Said Batman to Nora. She promptly got up and followed Batman out of the Asylum. Once outside they both got into the Batwing and flew off to Panessa Studios to return Nora to freeze.

Once Batman and Nora got to Panessa Studios, they entered through the back doors and got to the studio that Freeze resided in, they opened the door to find Freeze standing motionless staring at a wall. “Victor, I have Nora.” Said Batman. Freeze turned around and said “I no longer require you Batman.” “What?” Batman said, baffled at Freeze's response. “Give… me… Nora.” said Freeze as his visor dropped and his Freeze Gauntlets activated. “Victor, take her, we don't need to do this.” Said Batman. Freeze put out his hand and Batman gave him Nora, he walked her over to the cryo-chamber and locked it. “I love you Nora.” Victor said before activating the Cryo-Freeze system. “Sorry Batman, but orders are orders.” said Freeze as he lifted his hand, his Freeze gauntlets slowly emitting a sound that got louder and louder. Batman leaped out of the way as Freeze shot a blast of ice out of his gauntlet. “Stop resisting Batman, it’s not worth it.” said Freeze. “Victor, I fulfilled my end of the deal, I brought you Nora.” said Batman. “Sorry Batman, It’s nothing personal,” said Freeze. Batman started talking as Freeze was firing freeze blasts at him “Victor think about Nora! What would she think if she knew you were a killer?” “Don’t bring Nora into this Batman.” Said Freeze. Batman leaped behind the Cryo-Tube containing Nora causing Freeze to shatter the Cryo-Tube with his freeze blast causing Nora to begin to thaw. “No!” Victor screamed. Dropping to his knees. Batman took advantage of the opportunity pouncing on Freeze and beating his visor until it started to crack. Batman geared back one more time, his fist crashed down into the glass and came smashing into Freeze’s face knocking Freeze unconscious. Batman got up and walked over to Nora. “Alfred, I need a Cryo-Chamber prepped and delivered to Panessa Studios.” said Batman into his comms. “On Its way sir.” replied Alfred. Batman sat and waited for the cryo-chamber as Nora slowly thawed. Only a few moments later a humming noise could be heard in the distance, it grew louder and louder until a large pod crashed into the room from the ceiling. Batman walked over to it and typed in a code which unveiled the cryo-chamber. “Uh… Batman? What…Happened?” said Victor still dazed by Batman's punch. “You tried to kill me Victor, but in the process you broke your wifes cryo-chamber and I took advantage of that and knocked you out.” “But I got you another cryo-chamber.” said Batman to Victor. Victor got up and walked over to Nora. “Batman, The Riddler…his cane…He put it to my head and that’s all I remember.” “He also told me something, a Riddle.” said Victor trying to recollect what The Riddler had told him. “What was it Victor?” said Batman. “I think it was…What is used by the public but not able to be accessed by the public?” said Freeze. “Thank you Victor.” said Batman As he grappled out of Panessa studios through the hole in the roof. Batman got to the Batwing and took off for the Batcave.

Once in the Batcave Batman began to ponder on what the riddle given to him could refer to. “Is there anything I can get you Bruce?” Said Alfred from afar. “Yes Alfred, coffee would be appreciated.” Bruce said as he took off his cowl and set it on the table next to the Batcomputer. “Very well sir.” said Alfred. Bruce began going through the possibilities of what the riddle could mean. “Sir, your coffee is done.” said Alfred startling Bruce who was in a deep state of thought. “Thanks Alfred, and do you know what’s used by the public, but not accessible by the public?” Said Bruce letting Alfred take a crack at it. “Um, let me think about it.” said Alfred, beginning to think about it as well. After a long period of thought, and drinking of coffee Alfred said, “Bruce, What if it’s the sewers, everybody uses the water in their home which goes to the sewer, but not just anyone can access them.” “I think you are right Alfred, Riddler was in the sewers under Arkham for something and found Bane down there.” replied Bruce. “Thanks Alfred, I’m headed off for Arkham.” said Batman standing up, setting his coffee down and putting back on his cowl. “Happy to help sir.”

Batman raced off in the Batwing to Arkham. Once there he landed the batwing and got out. When he got out he was approached by Jim Gordon who’s police force was taking Bane out of the vat of Freeze agent. “Jim, Where is the entrance to Crocs cell.” asked Batman, getting straight to the point. “It’s under the Elevator room in the Intensive Treatment Center. Why?” responded Jim. “Riddler has something waiting for me, get your men out as soon as you can, I don’t know what he has planned.” said Batman as he walked off for Intensive Treatment. Once there Batman walked into the once white room which was now discolored and dirty, the medical equipment rusty and destroyed. He walked over to the elevator which went down to the speed transportation tunnels which were used to transport patients faster between wings of the Asylum. There was one problem however the Asylum hadn’t had power in years and the elevator definitely didn’t work. He would have to find another way in. Then he wondered how The Riddler got in. Batman activated his UV vision to discover a line of arrows going from a large panel on the wall to the elevator. Batman walked over to the Panel and removed it from the wall to reveal a large switch connected to a fuse box. Batman activated his detective vision and sure enough there were electrical wires leading to where the panel in the wall was. Batman proceeded to flip the switch and the elevator came to life illuminating the room. Batman walked over to the elevator door and pressed the down button. When the doors opened Batman was surprised with a large amount of explosive with a timer lying on top of it that read 0:10 and was counting down. Batman ran and leaped over a few desks and a divider before the explosives went off creating a deafening boom. And sent the elevator crashing to the bottom where the tunnels were. Batman got up from his cover and the surroundings of the elevator where reduced to ash and there was some small fires surrounding the massive hole in the wall which led to another one of the wings of intensive treatment and the hole where the elevator was Batman looked down the hole into the tunnels when the door to Intensive treatment flew open and Jim with a few other officers ran in and were asking if Batman was okay, and “What the hell happened?”. “Explosives, lots of explosives.” said Batman “Does anyone have a flashlight?” asked Batman. “Yeah, I got one.” Said one of the officers handing Batman the flashlight. “Thanks,” said Batman. He shone the light into the hole and around 30 yards down was the crushed and demolished elevator. Batman handed the Flashlight back to the officer and dropped down the hole, sliding through a large crack between the elevator and the wall of the shaft.

Batman walked down the speed tunnel and took a right into a smaller box shaped offshoot and opened the big rusty door that led into the dimly lit, decaying, and very large sewer system. Batman activated his UV vision which illuminated arrows on the wall leading down the pathway that dangled over where the rushing water should have been. Instead there was almost no water at the bottom of the tubular tunnel, and what was there was dark, and musty water. Batman walked a little further until he turned into another section of the tunnels where he noticed there were explosives attached to the walls. Batman pulled out a small device and stuck 

it to the wall of the tunnel so that it would mark the location on his map in his cowl so he could get out. He kept walking until he heard a voice that called out, “Help!” It was a woman somewhere in the tunnel. Batman turned off the UV vision and took off running towards the voice until he could finally see her, but it wasn’t just her. Riddler stood over her with a gun up against her head. Batman walked towards Riddler when he seemed to have bumped into something. It was a bulletproof glass barrier. “Nice to see you again Batman.” said Riddler. “Nigma, let her go.” said Batman. “Sorry Batman but you're gonna have to earn the right to rescue her.” “Just like she earned the right to be captured.” said Riddler. “What do you mean Nigma?” responded Batman, confused. “Don’t worry about that Batman, but you should worry about the gas that is being released into the room right now.” said Riddler as another Bulletproof glass barrier raised up about 40 yards behind Batman, and a Brown smoke began to fill the room. “You see Batman since you destroyed my brain teasing toxin, I’ll have to settle for Crane's original recipe.” “I’m going to leave you to your demons, and if you escape them you will be able to save our poor victim, but the game won’t end there you’ll have to get out of the sewers in 5 minutes otherwise you will meet the same fate that the elevator did.” “Good Luck… Batman.” said Riddler.

Batman’s head started to become foggy and his vision started going blurry. He shook his head and wiped his eyes. When he opened them he was met by the Joker right in front of his face. “How’s it goin Bats?!” Yelled the Joker followed by a maniacal laugh. Batman threw a left hook which connected to the Joker's face Sending him backwards. “Oooo, that tickled Bats!” said Joker, his laugh echoing throughout the sewer. Batman approached Joker and proceeded to throw punches left, right, and center, beating Joker to a pulp. Joker looked up, his face bruised and beaten. “Not…Funny.” Joker said. Joker fell over and dissipated into a cloud of smoke. Batman Blinked and, suddenly the sewer was filled back with water. Batman looked around and heard a rumbling in the water. Then Killer Croc burst out of the water and flung Batman down the tunnel. Batman looked up as the entirety of Batman’s rogues gallery rose out of the water on some kind of platform. Batman stood up and pulled out a batarang and threw it as hard as he could at the giant crowd of villains. The batarang cut through the air as it reached the first of many villains it cut through, creating large clouds of smoke. The Batarang flew back into Batman’s hand as he stood triumphantly. The smoke cleared revealing the woman and the glass on either side of him had been lowered, but there was no sign of the Riddler. He ran up to the woman and cut the ropes around her wrists. “Get up, we have to go.” said Batman. A clock on the side of the wall started ticking down from 5 minutes. She got up and started following Batman who was following a map that was projected in front of his eyes from his cowl.They got to where Batman had placed the tracker. They turned the corner, walked through the rusty door, and approached the elevator. Batman crawled through the crevice between the elevator and the wall of the shaft. He turned around and helped the woman through. When they were both through the crack Batman grabbed her and grappled up the hole. They landed softly and Batman took off for the exit of the building, the woman following him. They had reached the Cryo-Freezing room and there were still guards about Bane. “Everyone get out!” Yelled Batman and the officers started to head for the exit. Once everyone had cleared out Batman looked back and saw that the woman had tripped and hurt her leg. Batman ran over and picked her up and helped her hobble out of the Asylum. Once out of the front door he walked the woman over to a police car and set her inside of the seat and shut the door. “Batman, what’s going on?” said Jim, wondering what could have happened inside the building. “The Riddler had that woman held hostage and had rigged the sewers with-” said Batman before he was cut off by the explosions going off under Arkham in a chain reaction. The ground began to shake and the Asylum began to shake and crumble to the ground. “Holy sh*t!” “Everyone get to the station!” yelled Jim. The officers began to file into their squad cars, and took off towards their police station. “Jim, I need to talk to that woman.” yelled Batman to Jim. “Batman, meet us at the police station.” Yelled Jim who was getting into his car. Batman got in the batwing and took off for the police station.

Batman landed the Batwing behind the GCPD and entered through the back door. Once inside Batman waited for Jim and the woman to arrive. After maybe 10 minutes Jim and the woman entered the room Batman was waiting in. Batman stood up and walked over to her. “What’s your name?” asked Batman. “Alisa Powell.” Said Alisa. “Powell…Thanks.” said Batman as he headed for the exit. Batman walked out of the back door and got in the batwing. Batman took off for the Batcave. “Alfred look for the name of the first man who was captured by the Riddler.” said Batman. “Right away sir” responded Alfred. The batwing entered the batcave and landed on its platform. Batman got out and walked over to the batcomputer where Alfred was sitting. “What was his name Alfred?” Said Batman who picked up a gas mask off the desk next to the batcomputer. “Jacob Powell, of the Powell estate sir.” responded Alfred. “This last victim was also a Powell.” said Batman. “Riddler must have something against them, and it looks like there is a disturbance at the Powell mansion that happened mere seconds ago.” By the time Alfred was done talking Batman was already in the batwing and taking off for the Powell mansion.

Batman arrived at the Powell mansion. The windows were dark and the only sound coming from the house was the dead silence. Batman approached the large front doors which were embroidered with gold. He knocked but to no response. Batman listened closer as the wind howled. Batman then picked up a sound from inside, it was running. The door burst open and a woman came out screaming her head off. Batman took a few steps back and watched as the same brown smoke wafted out from the door. Batman took out the gas mask he grabbed earlier and put it on as he entered the Powell Mansion. The main hall was massive with pillars, gold inlays, massive paintings on the walls, a large seating area, fireplace, and a large chandelier that hung from the ceiling. There were multiple people that were out cold on the floor. Batman walked up the stairs to the second floor, where he found a maze of rooms and hallways. He searched through every room when finally came to the last one. When he slowly opened the door he expected to be faced with a plethora of explosives, instead the Riddler stood with one on his cane and the other holding a pistol to a man in a desk chair whom were both wearing gas masks. “Nice of you to join us Batman, our dear friend Henry has been waiting to be saved from 

his payment.” said Riddler, emotion flowing through his voice. “Why the Powells Nigma?” Batman asked. “They robbed me of their fortune…our fortune.” said Riddler slowly and angrily. “What?” said Batman, confused at what Riddler was referring to. “You see Batman, I was once in a foster home as my original family abandoned me, but the Powells who were at the time a middle class family that I for one was proud to be a part of, but as soon as they struck gold in the mining, and oil industry they sent me right back, not wanting to share with the lowly orphan boy that had taken in with open arms.” Said Riddler, who was not only angry, but saddened by his own story. “But now… I have them in the palm of my hand.” said Riddler. “Nigma, they shouldn’t have abandoned you, but resorting to crime didn’t have to be an option you chose.”“And you’re very smart Nigma, but you let your emotions control you, not your intelligence.” said Batman. “Shut up!” Yelled Riddler, whipping his pistol towards Batman, who pulled out a batarang and threw it at Riddler's hand. And just before Riddler could pull the trigger the batarang knocked it out of his hand and onto Mr. Powell's desk. Riddler grabbed his cane and started swinging at Batman hitting his wrist gauntlets before stopping and pushing a button on the end. Batman reached out for the end of the cane but was met by a high voltage shock. “You like that Batman!?” Yelled Riddler. Riddler started hitting Batman over and over who was unable to stop the shock sent through the cane. Riddler had him knocked to the ground and stuck the end of the cane to Batman holding the shock to him. While Batman was screaming in agony, Riddler was grinning at his triumph. Riddler lifted the cane and turned off the taser, but he pressed another button under the Question Mark. Riddler touched it to Batman's cowl and brought it back to his mouth. “Who are you, Batman?” said Riddler slowly. Batman sat up and moved against the door. “I… am… Batman.” responded Batman who knew what Riddler was trying to do, but his cowl had stopped the mind control from taking over Batman. “What?!” Said Riddler with confusion. Riddler reactivated the taser in his cane and began to speak, “Well Batman, tell me… what is something that everyone fears… and everyone runs from… but despite having no legs, it always catches up.” “The answer… is dea-” BOOM. Batman was cut off by a deafening gun shot. The Riddlers mouth was gaping, his eyes wide then he fell to the floor. “Nigma!” yelled Batman crawling over to The Riddlers dying body. Henry Powell had shot Riddler in the back with his own gun. Batman rolled Riddler over and tried to get him to respond. “Nigma! Talk to me Nigma!” Yelled Batman. “Death… Batman… looks like… like it caught up with me.” Said Edward as he closed his eyes, his pulse slowing to a halt. Batman slowly looked over to Henry. “You’ll pay for this Henry.”

Batman walked out of the mansion carrying Riddler in his arms as Henry Powell walked behind him, in cuffs. Jim Gordon ran up to Batman with multiple police officers trailing right behind him. “What the hell happened?!” said Jim. Batman set Edward Nashton on the hood of one of the police vehicles. “Mr. Powell fatally wounded Riddler with a gunshot to the back, and don’t go inside, its filled with fear toxin.” responded Batman. Batman turned away and looked at Edward Nashton for one last time, feeling sympathy for who he once thought to be a heartless criminal with a massive ego. He walked slowly with his head down to the Batwing. He lifted off the ground and took off, soaring through the early morning air towards his home.