Burned | Teen Ink

Burned

By 1224L0v3 SILVER, Richmond, California
1224L0v3 SILVER, Richmond, California

Author's note: The only thing that inspired me to make this is Hunger Games

"Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to." -Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well #10

WEEK 1

DAY 1

I wake up, suddenly wondering when I went to sleep, where I went to sleep. Then I take in my surroundings, my slightly burnt, thin and leathery suit with deep red sneakers my long braided black and red hair and my ridged and scratched painted red nails, and I realize I am not in London anymore. Yet still I am surrounded by a breathtaking view. There are beautiful flowers, snowdrop, primrose, daffodils, daisies, hawthorn, roses, larkspur, poppies, aster, calendula, chrysanthemum, narcissus and a flower I cannot place. I feel a sudden tingling sensation in my entire body, and then
the most frightening thing that I could think of happens to me, I forget everything except that I am Kayla Then I fall into another dark, merciless sleep. Except this time I am accompanied by
nightmares, the kind that stays with you forever. I am being chased by a deep red, oozing trail of lava, and I hear someone, a boy behind me yelling for help, but I do not turn around, I only steal a quick glance at the boy, just enough to see the hurt and betrayal in his eyes and the lava quickly consuming him. Then I feel warmth in my feet
slowly crawling up my body, quickly accelerating into the unbearable, real pain of a burn that can never go unnoticed. Then I wake up screaming. I know it was just a dream, but it felt too real to be a dream. Yet the pain was so real and only then I notice the tingling sensation on my calf. So, I slowly urge myself to stop screaming. After about 15 seconds I accomplish this goal only to turn it into a gasp for air. Then I slowly inch my leather up my leg until I a gruesome burn. Before I can even react I feel the sensation I felt right before I fainted last time, then adrenaline kicks in and I start running. I’m not sure where I’m running to or from, but I just keep running.
After about 20 minutes the tingling fades, just as do the flowers. Then I fall flat and lay on the ground for the first time, actually considering if my situation is real, and the shock once I realize I’m not dreaming. Then finally I faint.

"I love you like a love song baby" Selena Gomez, Love Song

Day 2

As it sets in I hear a twig break too left and then again 2 feet to right and a few feet closer, and a little faster, they continue. Without realizing it I’m quickly on my feet and quietly getting closer and closer to the closest tree I can find. Then I snap a twig. And before I know it is stampeding towards me then crashing into the clearing I am in. I stay absolutely still hoping it is not a very bright creature, that maybe it will wander away, forgetting or disregarding that one mishap of my foot that lead to that snap. Yet as I hold my breath, I hear quiet, quick, rapid steps. So quiet that I misjudge them as 50 feet away when it is once again currently breaking through the cover of the trees and into the clearing. I hear the clang of metal and the snarl and whimpers of creature unknown to me. Then as quickly as it started, it stops. I don’t even dare to blink as I hear those same quiet steps get closer and closer to me until it is on the other side of my tree, 2 feet away. Then I hear a strangely familiar voice asking, “Who’s there?” Then the steps continue until I am staring at the back of a boy, a very young boy probably about a year older than me that I let out a slight gasp. Then in a matter of 2 seconds there is a silver knife splattered with purple blood under my chin. My eyes follow the knife to the hand up to the face, and then I feel the blood drain out of my face, because the face of the boy in front of me belongs to face of the boy in my dream.
He has black hair and soft eyes a slender build is probably 5’6 about 2 inches taller than me. I try to say something, anything but my voice is completely dry, and then words escape my lips “who are you?” and he responds “no you first” so without hesitation I tell him everything I can remember down to the shade of the flowers. Except I leave out my dream. Once I’m done he slowly lowers his weapon until his arm lies at his side. Then he says “Well
Kayla, you’re a little out of it aren’t you?” and I let the corners of my lips go up slightly then I say, “I’m not sure.” Then he says, “I’m Jet, and where you woke up is called the meadow of the forgotten. Those are all birth flowers. So when you die your birth flower will start to sprout, but once your flower begins to die people will slowly forget you. And the meadow makes people forget everything so people who want revenge by getting rid of you permanently will forget and leave.” Then for some reason I unconsciously ask “then what was that other type of flower?”He gives me a look of confusion and says “you really aren’t from around here, are you? Well, no one knows why that particular flower is there, but I think it is so there would 13 types of flowers, the unlucky number, so either anyone either anyone who died there was unlucky, or if you wander in there, you’re considered unlucky.”
I think to myself great I either really unlucky or a am bunch of dead people are. Great. Jet asks, “Are you hungry? ”Then coincidently, my stomach answers for me with a small growl.
Jet takes out fresh kill from his game bag which sickens me, but I remind myself it is better than nothing. He says is a borach, but it just reminds me of a mix between a bird and a pig, well there goes the expression when pigs fly. He also takes out a bunch of weapons like snares, arrows, knives and a few traps out of his game bag. As he starts a fire I start to get very conscious of it so I ask him to show me how to use some of the weapons,then he asks,”Have you ever used a weapon?””No” As I get up I squeal because I had forgotten about the giant thing he mutilated, I ask him what it is but he says
wasn’t looking, just killing. Then I plop down onto the ground and can’t believe I’m in this situation, so I sleep and hope this is a dream.

"Sometimes it lasts in love, but sometimes it hurts instead" Adele, Someone Like You

DAY 3

After a while of practice I’m just as good as him with throwing the knife, but I am much better with the bow and arrow, but I really suck with the snares. After that, he shows me what plants and nuts are edible, so we both can gather. By the time we are done we have a big pile of plants and nuts. Then he hands me the bow and arrows and a game bag, and then the real fun begins.
We go together, and then we are both soundless. He decides to use the knife and within 10 minutes of hunting, I’ve got 3 borach, 10 types of birds, and at least 3 pounds of edible bark, plants, roots, nuts, and fruits. He’s got 2 borach, 12 types of birds and 2 handfuls of berries. We start working our way back to the camp and each get 3 more birds. Then we hear at least 4 pairs of footsteps trampling through the woods behind us. Without words we both start to climb a tree at least 40 feet high. I scale the tree in about 20 seconds; it takes Jet probably a few minutes to reach me, but that probably because I am around 80 pounds. We sit there silently, and then Jet points at my shoes, and I know he means that there to bright, so I soundlessly shift my position so I’m sitting on them. Then we hear voices and footsteps crashing through the trees. Then Jet moves slightly so he can see them, and shows me six fingers. I move more to the right so I can see too. Then I see 6 very large, muscular men shouting then one of the men with a large burn covering at least half of his face looks strait in between jet and I. If he’d shift his gaze 3 inches to either side, one of us would be spotted. Jet and I both hold our breath while staring at the man’s face then I see knife go right through his heart, then another to the man next to him. I trust my instinct and I take out my arrows and shoot one, then a knife whizzes past one man’s ear, then I take out the last 3, all of my arrows taking out their left eye. I climb down About 30 feet then jump and I know that was a mistake, because there is a shock in the sole of my feet. Yet I still keep going to see the men, who should be dead. As I get there I hear a wheezing coming from the burnt man, and I shoot him to rid him of the pain.
Then A few seconds later I hear Jet jump onto the ground. With a tiny bit of hostility I ask him “why did you kill him?” He just casually walks over and pulls the knives and the arrows from them and says, “Because they are hunters” With recognizable worry I just say, “Why would they be hunting me?” Then he sits on the ground and pulls his knees up to his chest and says, “They aren’t hunting you, they’re hunting me.” Now with a bit more hostility I say, “Why didn’t you tell me?!” With a bit of hurt in his tone he says, “Because I didn’t want you to go, you didn’t know, and I was missing some company. From now on I won’t hide anything from you, since you didn’t keep any secrets from me.”Then I feel guilt tighten my chest, so I spill my dream.
Jet thinks about it for a moment, then says we should get back to the camp. We soundlessly walk back to the camp gathering along the way then Jet asks me, “What are you going to do?”Then I think about this, this is the big question, what am I going to do? The question rings in my head. “I don’t know “I respond with a sigh. Jet thinks for a moment then says, “Why don’t you stay here, we can hunt all day, travel, it is really fun “I tell him,” Well I want to stay but I also want to remember what happened before the meadow. Will you help me?” Without hesitation Jet says, “An adventure is an adventure. “Then he smiles. We get back to the camp in 2 minutes, then Jet says, “one of should take watch later” I offer and Jet accepts. In 15 minutes the borach is done cooking, and it is getting dark. It is the size as a small pig, and together we eat about a quarter of it.
Then he asks,” are you sure you want to take first watch?” I tell him,”Yeah, I’m not tired at all. “With a sort of smugness he says, “Okay, but we should take 2 hour shifts or when you get tired, and wake me up if you hear anything that sounds heavier than 10 pounds.” Then he finds a comfortable position and drifts off to sleep, and I prop myself up by a nearby trunk. After a little while I lose track of time so I decide to just stick it out until I get tired. Then I get up and busy myself with hunting and gathering on the edge of the clearing, and then maybe later I can skin the rest of what we hunted.
After I found about a handful of nuts, I find some footprints that lead around the clearing twice. I wonder what it could be, and then it hits me, we’re being watched.

"Your salty skin and how it mixes in with mine" -Maroon5, Misery

DAY 4

I quietly wake Jet up and tell him my theory. While so, he looks around then grabs my arm and pulls me into a bus, I start to disagree, but he just covers my mouth with his hand. That is when we distinctly hear 6 footsteps from all different directions, and I stop objecting. Then he lifts his hand and grabs mine. We both try to get a better view then his grasp quickly pulls away from my right hand then he is pulled out of the bush. Before I can react, I feel another hand on my arm, it is not delicate but firm like Jet’s, but strong grasp that doesn’t care if it breaks my arm. I try to wiggle my arm free, but the more I move, the tighter it gets, so I stop. I try to find Jet, and when I do I wish I hadn’t. There is a mess of blood all over his arm and a pool under his arm, and a knife at his throat. All the men are the same height and stocky build 4 blonds, 1 redhead who is grabbing me, and one man with black hair who is holding Jet. They are all probably around 1 to 1 and a ½ feet taller than Jet. The man that is grabbing my arm tells him to stand down, and Jet is surely getting woozy, which the guard can probably also tell, so he grabs a piece of cloth and ties it onto his arm. “She hasn’t done anything, she didn’t know, she’s a traveler “He hisses at the man holding my arm, and now that I can see his other arm, a very big knife.”Oh really?” He says slyly. Then he starts twirling the knife in his hand, and his grasp substantially lessens. I take a chance and kick him strait in the face. His henchmen obviously aren’t very bright, and 4 of them go to help him up. So In a matter of seconds, there is in an arrow in the black haired man’s heart. As soon as the arrow breaks the skin the man I had knocked
shouts, “You buffoons, get them!”
Jet and I are both completely quiet and quick, but I’m much quicker. He tries to keep up, but his arm is not exactly making him faster. He says something that I understand as spit up, then he starts running towards the left, then I realize he said split up so I start running to the right. I climb a tree then hear approaching footsteps. I hear a voice that I believe belongs to the leader of the pack. I move so I can peek in on the conversation. He points at the man with the black hair, the redhead, 3 blondes, and himself Then he says, “The girl “The man with red hair obviously disagrees with him and says,” why four of us? She’s a twig, and the boy can still throw with his other arm.” With obvious hatred in his voice he says, “She is a twig. But she’s a twig who can do hand to hand combat, and she’s armed with that arrow she can obviously shoot with.”
Then the four men started to wander away in a straight line from me so I take a chance and shoot three, but by the time I get to the one leading the line, and he doesn’t even realize his acquaintances are all dead, He’s to far away. So I climb down me 20 foot tree and sprint to the direction Jet went. I don’t think he climbed a tree, he wouldn’t risk it. . If he’s pacing himself, I will be able to catch up to him in 2 minutes, but if he is sprinting, it will take me 10 minutes to reach him, but even then I would have to find our fried along the way, no matter what I will kill him. He hurt Jet, and he will pay.
I keep sprinting, as adrenaline shoots through me, and I hear another pair of footsteps, which I’m sure, are not Jet’s so I send a knife at his head, and hit my target square in between the eyes. But I am to late, Jet was already captured, and I see the wagon riding away. Yet I am so determined to get him back, I follow him, and climb under the cart and grab onto the hinges of the wheel. As soon as the road smoothens, I stab the bottom of the cart with my two inch blade, then again so I fit; I climb in just to see Jet knocked out on the floor. Somehow I manage to rouse him and get him to walk at least a mile until we get a setback, we walk onto thin land and have fallen strait into a cavern, the one from my dream. Then everything goes black.

"This love is taking a toll on me" Maroon5, This Love

DAY 5

I wake up on a pile of hay, wondering where Jet is. Then I decide to get a better look at the place. It's a cave a very damp cave. Then I see him coming into the cave with fresh kill. I look at him, and somehow he knows what I am thinking, like he always does. Then he says," It's a long story" my response is, “well I don’t have anything better to do." Then the rest is a blur. Once again I wake up not knowing where Jet is. Then I decide to walk outside to find Jet, I'm not sure what happened last night, but I want to find out. so I find him sitting on the top of our cave, just sitting there dangling his legs like a rag doll. It looks like he's thinking really hard, so I decide not to disrupt him, but I do climb to the top and sit next to him. Yet he just keeps his expression staring into space, and I just keep watching. Then he decides to turn his attention to me, “about last night..." but I interrupt him before anything comes out that either of us may not want me to remember, “Jet, I don’t remember anything about last night. “sheepishly he continues," Oh, well about last night... are you okay?"

"I've got them moves like jagger" Maroon5, Moves Like Jagger

Day5 Part 2

I’m not sure about that, do I feel good? “I’m… okay.” But quickly I change subject, but I don’t know why. “About me trying to figure out the past… can we worry about that now?”
“Yeah, sure. “
“Where do we start?”
“What do you recommend?”
“The historian, if you had been here before, then we’ll definitely find it out.”
“Ok, but first we need a break.”
So then, we hunt, but not like before. I feel like Jet is tense, or angry, or something. “Jet, what’s wrong?
“Nothing”
“It’s not nothing.
“What happened last night?”
“Nothing.”
“Jet.”
“Last night I was sitting on the cave, then you came up and…”
Then Jet is interrupted by a very big crash, which I can only interpret as another crashing beast. Jet gets into a stance and says” Crap Kayla, you got attacked by a mono beast, when you kill one another will just come!”
“When!”
“When we met.”
“Kayla climb!”
“Ok, so how do we get rid of it without killing it, and without letting it move?!”
“A snare.”
“Remember that trap that never let on?”
“The one by the clearing?”
“Yeah, we have to lead it over there, I mean you.”
“Why me?”
“Because you can probably jump farther.”
“Grr.”
“GO!”

So silently I jump limb from limb, leading him into the snare. And he is still following me. Until a mishap, I miscalculated. I slipped up, and I paid for it. I feel the wind knocked out of me as my stomach hits the branch, and my feet dangle lifelessly. Then slowly I lose consciousness, and a light grasp around my waist emanates.

1224L0v3 SILVER, Richmond, California
I know I just loved the plot about that story. I'm sorry I took so long to respond, with a new quarter of school comes more issues socially and educationally. But anyways thanks for commenting! :)

ValWiggin SILVER, Grayslake, Illinois

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order to learn how to do it." ~ Pablo Picasso

really good, but so much like the hunger games