War Time | Teen Ink

War Time MAG

It is exactly 8 p.m. onMarch 19, 2003. My family is congregated around the television, an unusualsituation as "tubing out" is highly condemned in our household. We onlyhave eight channels, a deprivation of which I was greatly ashamed as a child. Ihave grown to appreciate this in my teenage years as I find other wild things todo with my family and friends. Yet, right now we are all sitting here totallyintent on everything Peter Jennings has to say. People all over the world havebeen doing unusual things lately, though. Many have come together to protest thewar, which at this very moment has automatically, silently been declared. This isbecause the 48-hour deadline for Saddam Hussein and his family to leave Iraq hasjust ended and I am watching Saddam promise his citizens that the army will beready to defend the country against U.S. forces.

I am really quite scaredbecause I think the causes for this war are not sufficient. Actually, in the pastmonths I have dedicated much of my time to discovering where I stand on thepolicies of war. I have read newspapers, studied past wars, and talked to manywell-educated and well-informed people about their views on war, the war on"terror" and especially Iraq.

My parents, with their veryliberal points of view, strongly oppose the war. They do not believe that thethreats to our nation and the rest of the world are anything compared to thedestruction that will be caused by this war. I have gone to a few informationalpeace meetings with them and even went to hear Pete Seeger, a famous folk singerwho has sung about peace seemingly since Cain killed Abel. The music and lyricsat that concert really struck home for me. I felt my beliefs and morals totallysupported and left in complete trust of our nation to "sing peace on earthand sea and sky."

I value my parents' opinions and morals, but as ateenager I am beginning to look to other sources. As they are very persuasive andtruly thoughtful people, I usually side with them, but I am still interested inothers' opinions.

I conducted an intense debate on the bus with myscary Republican friends who believe that the U.S. should bomb the daylights outof the Middle East, but I was not convinced. I also talked to the rector at myfamily's church. He pointed out positive aspects, reminding me that Iraqis do notshare the freedoms we have and would benefit from a regime change. Government, heexplained, is put in place to provide justice, which, in my opinion, is not astrong point of the Iraqi leadership. Although he does not support the war (heoften holds peace meetings), he was able to give me a perspective I was lookingfor to support the war.

Following this conversation, I was glad to hearBush mention a better life for Iraqis. But I was also disappointed with hisdisregard for United Nations support. I joined Model UN a few months ago andattended a conference where I learned about all the UN's amazing functions.Because it is unable to enforce anything, it relies on cooperation to handleworld issues. I do not feel that this cooperation took place in dealing withIraq.

Since the resolution did not pass, the U.S. decided to use militaryaction against Iraq. Events like this totally destroy the power the UN has as apeacekeeping organization. When the League of Nations (a similar organizationthat preceded the UN) was first formed after the first World War, Japan, Germanyand Italy tried to invade other nations. When the League ordered them to stop,they simply dropped out of the League.

If we cannot get along with othernations, how are we supposed to be supported by Iraqis whose families and friendswe have just destroyed? I do not believe that war is the right way to help theIraqis. I agree with Pete Seeger; peace and love can save the world, and Ibelieve that working together makes a world of difference.

If Saddam isunwilling to work with us, then I think he should be stopped through morepeaceful means, and his nation should not have to suffer. President Bush made thepoint that he did not follow instructions of the UN. I wonder what Bush believeshe is doing.

My parents have gone to bed now, but I'm still up ponderingthe issues of homeland security and civilian deaths. I, along with many others,am hoping for a quick end to the awful turmoil that is about to begin with asequence of bombings some time tonight. Peace Out.