Why Is Dystopian Literature Experiencing Such a Rise in Popularity Today? | Teen Ink

Why Is Dystopian Literature Experiencing Such a Rise in Popularity Today?

By sdewitt17 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
sdewitt17 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana

71 million dollars. That's how much “ Hunger Games “ made on its opening day alone, with a total of 424 million dollars over all (Box office Mojo). As of 1999 there has been a rise of dystopian literature in young teen, and many people want to know why (Clo0701). The reason I think that Dystopian literature has increased in popularity is because of all the popular books and movies like “ Hunger Games”, “ The Giver “ and “ Divergent” that has had success in which makes people aware of Dystopian literature itself and first step to popularity is exposure.

During the time of the “ rise “ of dystopian literature you can see an increase of dystopian literature movies (Wikipedia contributors). In 1990’s alone there was around 30 dystopian literature movies nationally produced (Wikipedia contributors). You can tell that dystopian literature movies had to have some sort of influence on each other. Once someone sees another succeed they want to copy and try to succeed too, and this is the same thing with the Dystopian literature once one or two books started to grow with popularity other authors jumped on the bandwagon. Another source of evidence would be the when a book, movie, a song becomes popular people start to talk about it and I think that is what happened with Dystopian literature. At the same time something else that could have happened would be maybe the increase of dystopian literature came from there was just so many different movies and books that people just started reading them and then found out that they like them. With the books it really makes people think about what's happening. For example in the short story “ Ten with a Flag “ it makes people really think about like what if people were born into ranks and the government already knew where they were going to go in life.

Dystopian Literature has seen a spike because of the increase of dystopian movies such as Hunger Games. Hunger Games is probably one of the most popular dystopian literature stories of all time. This being said I think it has a huge impact on the dystopian literature community, with people watching the movies and then buying the books and reading the book. I personally watched the movies and then bought the books, so for this reason I think that is why it has seen an increase because many others and myself  are interested in this type of literature because of these popular movies and their very creative plots. With these creative plots, people become excited and want to keep reading the books and buying the movies. So this benefits the rise of dystopian literature. This can be related to the book “ The Veldt “ by Ray Bradbury. The short story “ The Veldt “ has a very weird and creative story plot and with these two dystopian literature pieces it really shows on why teens like the creative that dystopian literature brings. The “ Hunger games”  movie opening day was the third largest opening weekend of all time, with a total of 214.3 million dollars worth of tickets sold just on the opening weekend (McClintock). Plus another, 100 million copies of the books sold as of April of this year (Canfield).  The author of “ The veldt “ Ray bradbury’s net worth was around 30 million dollars (Ray Bradbury's net worth) . So he also had a big impact on the dystopian literature community, with people buying all of his books and short stories, Why? Because people love reading about things that “ could “ happen in the future and ruining the whole world and that is what dystopian literature is.

Another huge success to help dystopian literature is the “The Giver”. The last time the amount of of copies sold was calculated was in 2012, and it was said to have sold over 12 million copies. Being that this was 6 years ago and dystopian literature popularity increasing I would estimate that this number has rose past 30 million copies, especially with the movie coming out in 2014 (Ulaby). “ The Giver “ paved the way for other dystopian books, with the book being released in 1993. Even though there was other dystopian literature before “The Giver” it really changed the way people think of dystopian literature, because of the strong success of the book itself. I think “ The Giver” was so popular because of how creative it was, most people could never have even imagine the plot of the book but when it came out Lois Lowry really did a very good job of describing the setting and she really set the bar high for other dystopian books. “ The Giver” reminds me of “ Harrison Bergeron  “ because in “ The Giver” the government controls everyone's feelings just in “ Harrison Bergeron “, for example “If Hazel hadn't been able to come up with an answer to this question, George couldn't have supplied one. A siren was going off in his head” in this the government makes it so that George can’t even really think because of the buzzer. So this controls them so they can’t even think long enough to think about turning on the government just like the pills in "The Giver."

In conclusion, dystopian literature obtained popularity from getting exposure from popular movies and books such as “ Hunger Games”, “ The Giver “ and “Divergent”. What's your opinion on dystopian literature?

It is an article about dystopian literature and why it has seen a rise in the past couple of months. It is one of my best peices of work and it will be very appreciative if you could take the time to read it.