James | Teen Ink

James

June 25, 2019
By superflypwr737 BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
superflypwr737 BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Only consisting of five letters and one syllable, the name James can be said in just the right amount of time.The alternating consonants and vowels make a perfect pattern.   


James has old origins, originally stemming from the Hebrew name for “Jacob”. James was one of the twelve apostles to Jesus and means “the supplanter” or “the one who follows”.  James is loyal. James is the golden retriever following its owner—the perfect friend and companion.


Only family members call me James Michael. Together, both James and Michael are old and powerful names. This name is like a strong, old oak tree with rough bark on the outside but smooth wood on the inside. It’s the perfect tree for children to play on but also valuable for lumber.  Once cut down, this tree has the potential to build the strongest structures.


James was passed down from my grandfather while I inherited Michael from my father. My grandfather is the kindest person I have ever encountered.  He is the person that gives up his seat on the bus, the person who taught me that the day is not over until you have made someone else’s, the person who donates his time and money to people in need. Having his name is a reminder of who I want to strive to be like as a person.


I prefer to be called James. It is the perfect balance between casual and formal.  Jim is not seen much in my generation therefore, I try to avoid it. Jim sounds rougher and too abrupt. Jim is an abandoned barn with chipped paint and rotting wood, surrounded by a now subdivided pasture. It is just a sign of the changing times.


James is the name I want to be recognized by.  It represents who I am and who I want to be. It is a long twisted road that leads to the perfect destination. Aesthetically, it sounds and looks pleasing. There is no downside to this name. I am thankful that my parents named me the way they did.