A Problem Overlooked | Teen Ink

A Problem Overlooked MAG

So you go to school six hours a day. Then you get home and do homework. Or maybe you just study the night before a test. Well, at any rate, you do your best on those killer tests your teachers always seem to give. Then report cards come out, along with honor roll and class rank. Imagine being third in your class. That's not bad at all, especially if you are only tenths of a point away from number one. But, how would you feel if one of those two people ahead of you was there only because of cheating?

I'm not talking about copying homework or cheating on a test or two. I'm talking about chronic cheating. Of course, you should rightfully be number one or two. You know that, but no one else does.

Unfortunately, this scenario may be reality in more than one place. Cheaters are making a mockery of education. Many of you may think this is no big deal, but some schools offer scholarships to valedictorians. When you are at the top of the class, even hundredths of points count.

What does this say about the future of our generation? May the best cheater win? What about role models? Everyone has someone to look up to and someone else looking up to them. We should set good example for each other, especially those who are seen as leaders.

I'm not telling everyone to be a tattletale, or even condoning one person playing this part. All I am asking is for people to think about their peers and their friends before they do something dishonest. Look at the big picture; you may be hurling more people than you realize. ?