Should The Death Penalty Be Banned? | Teen Ink

Should The Death Penalty Be Banned? MAG

By Anonymous

   There are many things in this society which should be banned, but the death penalty is not one of them. It is definitely the right way to go as far as capital discipline is concerned. Right now in our country, I find it outrageous that criminals think that they can get away with just about anything. In some states, including Alabama, the death penalty has helped them lower the rate of violent crimes. We need some form of capital punishment to send a message to career criminals that they will not get away with these severe crimes.

The death penalty would also make people more secure. In some countries of South America and the Far East, they have very severe penalties, including flogging, for even minor crimes. People in some areas of our nation feel they cannot walk around or step outside their houses for fear of criminals. In other countries, however, you would rarely see laws being broken because the penalties are so stern. The United States is one of the most lenient countries in the world as far as discipline. If we had the death penalty, all people would be able to use the streets even in troubled areas.

Another reason we should use this is to set an example to all criminals. Some criminals who have committed many violent crimes (robbery, rape, and murder) are walking the streets like normal citizens because we are much too lenient on them. If the death penalty is instituted, there would not be as many daring and violent crimes as there are presently. Our present laws are much too "soft" on criminals. We need to get stricter.

In closing, I would like to add that this law would make a major difference. It would make our streets safer, people more secure, and make a better world to live in. The death penalty is a definite plus for our society as a whole.

What do you think? ?



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 173 comments.


julia_elg said...
on Apr. 8 2010 at 4:38 pm
julia_elg, Valley Village, California
0 articles 0 photos 27 comments

Favorite Quote:
"And of course there must be something wrong / In wanting to silence any song." - Robert Frost, "A Minor Bird"

In response to Anne P.'s original post:  yes, of course I would want revenge on that person. But why on earth is it up to me to determine what happens to that person? I would obviously be really biased.

TheJust ELITE said...
on Apr. 8 2010 at 2:02 pm
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida
254 articles 202 photos 945 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’

"A large percentage"? No. Sorry. Every criminal says they're innocent. like 2% actually are. Talk to the police or FBI agents, somebody who actually knows what they're talking about.

TheJust ELITE said...
on Apr. 8 2010 at 2:00 pm
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida
254 articles 202 photos 945 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’

Bravo! Great article! In some instances, the death penalty is extreme, but in others, like with serial killers, it's the only way to get through to people that murder is WRONG. Our country is filled with hypocrits ("Murder is wrong, but the jail time's not fair"-Letters to the President). I stand FOR the death penalty. And thank you, for also standing for it!

on Apr. 8 2010 at 6:33 am
Pudd1016 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
8 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
'Love is a perfect bond of Union."

i am against the death penalty. i think that only God has the power to take your life, not a human being. God has the power to judge you, and take your life not anyone else.

Great article though. very well written


on Apr. 6 2010 at 10:52 pm
gkegrace BRONZE, Bowling Green, Ohio
2 articles 0 photos 17 comments
Of course if a someone murdered one of my family members I would want them to die, but that doesn't mean that it would be right. I believe the death penalty is very wrong. Ending someone's life in any way or for any reason is a horrible form of punishment. If a person lives they have the opportunity to regret their decisions. 

on Apr. 6 2010 at 10:31 pm
deardiary BRONZE, Saskatoon, Other
3 articles 0 photos 65 comments

Favorite Quote:
It is a truth universally acknowedged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife. -Pride and Prejudice

I must say that my heart is telling me that vengeance is never the right path. Everyone deserves forgivness.

tatooluver said...
on Apr. 6 2010 at 9:26 pm
I dont think the death penalty is fair. i think it is strange that We kill people, who kill people, to prove to people that killing people is wrong, there are way better things that could be done to prevent crimes.

saimne SILVER said...
on Apr. 6 2010 at 6:38 pm
saimne SILVER, Cerritos, California
5 articles 0 photos 60 comments

Favorite Quote:
I see humans, but no humanity.

this was in response to edwardcullen4always and browneyedpoet

saimne SILVER said...
on Apr. 6 2010 at 6:37 pm
saimne SILVER, Cerritos, California
5 articles 0 photos 60 comments

Favorite Quote:
I see humans, but no humanity.

quite a large percentage? these are smaller criminals, not 99 yrs to life convicts. also, convicted criminals have been known (ie Charles Manson) to receive a masters degree while undergoing their sentence. this drains your parents paychecks through taxes.

Tashababi said...
on Apr. 6 2010 at 11:14 am
exactly. By killing the murderer you are a murderer too. No matter what they have done, no one deserves to die and you have no right to play God.  Killing this person you are NOT punishing them and that is why so many commit suicide when they get a life sentence.

ToyRe GOLD said...
on Apr. 6 2010 at 9:53 am
ToyRe GOLD, Monterey, California
12 articles 3 photos 59 comments

Favorite Quote:
"This too shall pass." and " When God leads to a cliff, jump, because He'll either catch you or teach you how to fly."

Calm down guys. The thing about the issue is that murder is wrong. Now of course someone should be punished, but taking their life is not going to make you feel any better.

ToyRe GOLD said...
on Apr. 6 2010 at 9:51 am
ToyRe GOLD, Monterey, California
12 articles 3 photos 59 comments

Favorite Quote:
"This too shall pass." and " When God leads to a cliff, jump, because He'll either catch you or teach you how to fly."

I say it should because if someone you love kills a person, would you want someone to say that they should die?

myeisha614 said...
on Mar. 19 2010 at 12:16 pm
i think it should be banned because if you kill some1 you would want to live

julia_elg said...
on Mar. 17 2010 at 2:11 am
julia_elg, Valley Village, California
0 articles 0 photos 27 comments

Favorite Quote:
"And of course there must be something wrong / In wanting to silence any song." - Robert Frost, "A Minor Bird"

The most significant difference is that quite a large percentage of convicted people are innocent. If you're in jail for life, and new evidence is discovered that proves you innocent, you can eventually be released from jail. If you're dead, and new evidence is discovered that proves you innocent...you get the idea.

on Mar. 2 2010 at 9:52 am
edwardcullen4always SILVER, Rock Hill, South Carolina
5 articles 6 photos 57 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you feed a man a fish you feed him for a day, but if you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."

wow I AM NOT FULL OF ANGER and I am through talking to you because you apparently don't know what your talking about...so i'll just leave it at that

on Mar. 2 2010 at 7:24 am
Dustfingers DIAMOND, Grand Rapids, Michigan
86 articles 0 photos 29 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Love to be Loved"

I suppose So. But at the end of the day if it happened to you you WOULD BE FULL OF ANGER. Your opinion is your opinion but most people who think that death is right in any circumstance is a bit angry

on Mar. 1 2010 at 8:50 am
edwardcullen4always SILVER, Rock Hill, South Carolina
5 articles 6 photos 57 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you feed a man a fish you feed him for a day, but if you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."

Um...excuse you...do you know me? I most certainly am not full of anger. I have an opinion and so do you. Mine happens to be different...that doesn’t mean that I am full of anger.

on Mar. 1 2010 at 7:06 am
Dustfingers DIAMOND, Grand Rapids, Michigan
86 articles 0 photos 29 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Love to be Loved"

You're full of anger and that's undertsandable, it's a natural feeling but that doesn't make it the right feeling

on Feb. 26 2010 at 8:54 am
edwardcullen4always SILVER, Rock Hill, South Carolina
5 articles 6 photos 57 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you feed a man a fish you feed him for a day, but if you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."

Wow I truly have nothing to say to that because it makes no sense to me. You don’t forgive someone who PURPOSELY decided one day to get up and kill someone. That’s not the way it works. You kill you should die

on Feb. 26 2010 at 7:47 am
Dustfingers DIAMOND, Grand Rapids, Michigan
86 articles 0 photos 29 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Love to be Loved"

I think the jury has nothing to do with the situation becuase they weren't personally affected by the killer so to put his/her fate in thier hands in crazy. poeple care...you and the goverment just don't. You are the people who are angry most of the time. I think people for the death penalty and killers have alot more in common than they know