Should The Death Penalty Be Banned? | Teen Ink

Should The Death Penalty Be Banned? MAG

There are many things in this society which should be banned, but the death penalty is not one of them. It is definitely the right way to go as far as capital discipline is concerned. Right now in our country, I find it outrageous that criminals think that they can get away with just about anything. In some states, including Alabama, the death penalty has helped them lower the rate of violent crimes. We need some form of capital punishment to send a message to career criminals that they will not get away with these severe crimes.

The death penalty would also make people more secure. In some countries of South America and the Far East, they have very severe penalties, including flogging, for even minor crimes. People in some areas of our nation feel they cannot walk around or step outside their houses for fear of criminals. In other countries, however, you would rarely see laws being broken because the penalties are so stern. The United States is one of the most lenient countries in the world as far as discipline. If we had the death penalty, all people would be able to use the streets even in troubled areas.

Another reason we should use this is to set an example to all criminals. Some criminals who have committed many violent crimes (robbery, rape, and murder) are walking the streets like normal citizens because we are much too lenient on them. If the death penalty is instituted, there would not be as many daring and violent crimes as there are presently. Our present laws are much too "soft" on criminals. We need to get stricter.

In closing, I would like to add that this law would make a major difference. It would make our streets safer, people more secure, and make a better world to live in. The death penalty is a definite plus for our society as a whole.

What do you think? ?

Anne Powdris SILVER, --, New Jersey
No, it is NOT unusual. If you might not have noticed, the death penalty has been used for decades, if not centuries. This makes it very usual, does it not?

Anne Powdris SILVER, --, New Jersey
Oh, so now is it my fault that there is such thing as a death penalty, despite the fact that I support it?

The slapping idea is a metaphor. If somebody killed your wife, you would want to kill the guy back. Of course, not you, but the government itself.

The death penalty is NOT about killing someone if you are mad at them! It's about PUNISHING them for a crime they COMMITTED! If your sister barged into your room and broke your mirror, would you call the police and have the government penalize her to death? I don't think so!

Whether it hurts or not, that is nothing of our concern? A lethal injection that will take 10 minutes at most is more preferable to the death their victim must have received. Do you want a criminal living next door to you? Do you want them to get in prison? That will mean overcrowdedness and criminals living with people who commited petty crimes that are not as violent. Interaction with others might lead to a higher increase of violence in the community.

The death penalty WILL stay. I am morose to inform you that your voice will not count in their decision.

Have a wondeful day.

ThatBlondGuy SILVER, Mableton, Georgia
Yes.

I'm a liberal all the way. Therefore, all of the things you listed and mentioning the injustice of them are not attacks, but would sooner make me should "Amen!" You think it's my fault that all of that stuff is happening?

Although it is not the greatest issue, it is not at all proven that there is no pain in lethal injection. Although it is certainly preferable over other methods, it might not be painless and is most DEFINITELY BRUTAL.

You ask me if I should slap someone back who slaps me. First of all, I'd sooner cry and run to my mother. You speak of instinctive reactions. Should we legislate rage or burn for revenge? If someone is mad at another, should they kill them? No!

And although I appreciate the good argument you presented, I must unfortunately be the one to inform you that you are fighting a losing battle.

Good day.

Inkspired PLATINUM, Whitby, Other

"If one will scoff at the study of language, how, save in terms of language, will one scoff?" - Mario Pei
"I write for the same reason I breathe - because if I didn't, I would die." Isaac Asimov

You do have a good point, and with that argument, I quite agree. However, I cannot bring myself to judge when other people are in the wrong enough that they deserve to die. Sometimes, there are exceptional circumstances, and the law can't let every one of these by, otherwise it would then become very conditional. So, I oppose the death penalty, because occasionally, the person would not quite deserve it. Besides, Canada is not in anarchy and we don't have a death penalty.

Anne Powdris SILVER, --, New Jersey
No.

First of all, it is NOT brutal. Death penalty nowadays is better than it used to be long ago. They would hanged, have their necks broken, or their heads chopped off. Sometimes, the ax/blade would not work well. Hence, numerous swings would be taken to fully ensure the death of the criminal. Today, criminals are given a painless injection. As easy as that.

You are concerned about our generation? Go see what is happening with yours. Palestinians are killed, shot, murdered, driven out of their homes, tortured, imprisoned in Guantanamo, and numerous other things. Same follows for Iraqis, people of Afghanistan, etc. You think what is going on there is any better?

If somebody came up to you and slapped you on the face, what would your reaction be? You would slap her/him back, correct? It is that simple. If not, you are probably waiting for the punishment to come by itself.

Anne Powdris SILVER, --, New Jersey
So, it is your belief that they should be put to prison, and no able to walk freely around? Well, what is the point then, if their lives are already going to be taken away? They commited the crime, they get punished. As you have stated earlier, "The state is actually using murder to punish someone who commited murder." Yup. There it is. You said it. They commited murder. Yeah, sure, they should be given freedom and life! Besides, "an eye for an eye" is a perfect law system that should be used in all countries. Somebody stole your purse, which contains your cellphone, iPod, money, etc. Do you just walk away and say, "I should be a better person and ignore it." Look where the world is going to end up with that.

You bring up a good point. "Forgiveness." Yes, children should be taught to forgive, but not when it comes to the loss of a cherished one. It should be their choice whether they should forgive the criminal or not ( the family of the victim/victim). If they choose that the criminal should be punished, then they shall. You say the family of the criminal will be angry? The family of the vitcim will be furious! They will be heart-broken! As for the family of the criminal-- well, should they not have taught them better as a child? Most criminals come from dysfunctional families. So if they were to be given the death penalty, their family would not care. It was their fault in the first place to commit murder.

Anne Powdris SILVER, --, New Jersey
all4ice:
oh, so are suggesting that we should allow criminals to run around free? Ha. Real smart. You know where that's going to end up? Thinking about it gives me the goosebumps. Besides, murder, rape , robbery-- they are not petty crimes or little mistakes! They could hurt the victim and even more people! How would you feel if your neighbor was a criminal and was not given the death penalty because it was banned. Would you not feel unsafe in your very OWN house?

Anne Powdris SILVER, --, New Jersey
Oh, but do remember something. You should be aware that not all people learn from mistakes and recover. In fact, some are hopeless! Besides, if we made death penalty laws stricter, criminals would be afraid to commit crimes and think twice about what they are doing! The government should provide help for people such as those, to decrease and even prevent such high criminal acts. In other words, if we prevented them from murdering, we would not have to be murderers either! Gasp! Isn't that so simple? Look at eastern countries! Wouldn't you think that if we were extremely lenient with the laws, all criminals would be joyous and do whatever they wish? The country would be an anarchy!

Anne Powdris SILVER, --, New Jersey
I agree 100%

I mean, I want to feel safe in my country! I don't want to drive my car, walk on the street, in fear of being kidnapped, robbed, or even murdered! And the issue is-- the real criminals don't get punished! The majority are buried with cash, and instead of being punished for their crimes, they bribe their way out. Contrariwise, the poor are sometimes wrongly accused! But that does not mean they are all innocent. Only 23 people since 1900 have been wrongly punished. This is an extremely low percentage of the number of people getting punished with enough proof.

Anne Powdris SILVER, --, New Jersey
Oh, really? Now if a guy came, raped youra relative of yours, murdered them, and robbed your house on the way, how would you feel about it? Would you not want them to be KILLED?

Dustfingers DIAMOND, Grand Rapids, Michigan

"Love to be Loved"

America is so hypocritical becuase they say don't kill then turn around and justify taking anothers life I mean the people are uauaslly bad people for killing but doesn' that make the person who killed them equally bad??

ThatBlondGuy SILVER, Mableton, Georgia
That's good, considering I meant to post a new comment, not reply to yours! So thanks!

But I do appreciate it.

Shambler92 PLATINUM, Buenos Aires, Other
totally agree.

ThatBlondGuy SILVER, Mableton, Georgia
An eye for an eye is the most brutal and simplistic proverb created and chanted since the birth of human stupidity.

I'm honestly worried for all of you people. The new generation worries me--they choose one of two extremes, with not a single notion of the middle way in their minds.

ThatBlondGuy SILVER, Mableton, Georgia
I'm sorry, but I have to let these words escape:

This idea is stupid.

I understand where you're coming from, but you have the wrong idea about it all. You can't just think of the death penalty as a method of solving criminal rate or apparent problems WITHOUT considering the immorality of it!

If you consider whether or not it's RIGHT OR WRONG, not whether or not it will solve your problems, then I assure you that you will hesitate. Of course, the death penalty works to reduce crime. So does lynching, torture, and murder.

Death penalty is, essentially, murder in the name of good.

believe me, there are no severe penalties here in south america, i mean, you turn on the news and there's another guy murdered by a minor who can't go to prison and is released a day after.

I know, i get what people are saying. no people who rob houses should NOT be killed but murderers? do unto others as you would like to have done unto yourself. i mean really. was the murder victoms "feelings" or "rights" taken into concern by the murderer? no i dont think one man should be an executioner, that nobody should have to wear that burden for the rest of there life, but it has.to.be.done! there was a king back a long time ago i forget his name, but he said Eye for Eye, Tooth for Tooth. yes, some of his rules were a bit cruel, like if you kill a mans son because you didnt like his father, then they would kill your son. no, thats not fair. but if you murder somebody and there is evidence, you should get what you deserve. its cruel, but its the truth. just like now, we're not torturing terrorists, or we're trying to make it illegal. We are WAY too soft and if we don't get our act together we're gonna find those nukes [the ones that are pointed at us btw] headed our way. and we wont do a darn thing about it either.

RedvinesWTHCantTheyDo GOLD, Zephyrhills, Florida

"You make one more comment like that I will wrap you in a tortilla shell and eat you as a snack, maybe with some nice pico de gillo."~ Lauren Lopez in Starship
"If you don't die for something, I'll kill you for nothing."~ Lauren Lopez in Starship

I completely agree with you. I think that no matter how old you are, if you commit the crime, then you can do the time. Or in this case no time.

I think that they should keep the death penalty.Did that criminal think about the rights of the person or people that they hurt?No they did not.Do you honestly want a criminal running around hurting people?You could be next...did you ever think about that?

The death penalty may be harsh, but yet not banned. The crimes in our world are getting worse everyday. If the criminals see the punishment they might STOP. I believe, an eye for an eye. if you take away a inoccent person, your life should be taken away also.