Tolerance For Clutter-Bug Junkies | Teen Ink

Tolerance For Clutter-Bug Junkies MAG

Have you ever cleaned your room and said to yourself, "Why am I bothering to sort through my heaping piles of junk if I already know where everything is?" I have asked myself this same exact question, but haven't ever encountered any substantial answer.

Tell me, why do the teenagers of America put themselves through the tedious aggravation of cleaning their rooms? Is it because parents expect us to be tidy and organized, or do we as individuals have this obsession with cleaning our rooms just so we can destroy them again? Think for a moment, how long does it take you to clean your room? (Oh, by the way, pushing everything in your closet doesn't count, sorry.) Now that you've calculated how much time it takes to sort out everything, you've probably realized how long it depends on how much junk and dirty laundry you possess. Oh, and don't forget your collection of dirty dishes. (Hey, before we go on, how many of you out there have lost more of your belongings by cleaning your room than by living in the "pigsty" your parents claim it to be?)

Well, what are we going to do about this? I mean if our parents are constantly nagging us about our rooms where is the challenge in literally digging through that one cluttered desk (or clutter cemetery, as I call it), in order to find that certain object engulfed in the center of it? That's right, there is no challenge.

So you know what I say? I say, "Tolerance for Clutter-Bug Junkies!" If we're already disorganized, then what's the harm? Let me tell you something, the world is not going to disappear into nothingness if we don't clean our rooms. So pile those unnecessary papers on top of your desk until they reach the ceiling. Allow yourself to be disorganized and messy. Make a one-of-a-kind sculpture out of those dirty clothes you packed into the closet. If you're not a genius in school, it's all right, at least you can say that you have the messiest room in existence. Don't worry, you're not going to go to jail because of it; be yourself and be proud of who you are. Life is too short and too complicated to worry about the condition of your room.

And, for all of you parents reading this, I'd just like to say that cleaning our rooms is not going to change our grades in school; it's not going to make us respect you any more than we already do; and it's not going to make us better individuals. n