The "Like" Syndrome | Teen Ink

The "Like" Syndrome MAG

By Anonymous

   The "Like Syndrome," a deadly disease that destroys the English language, is running rampant among America's teenagers. This disease, whose only symptom is the frequent misuse of the word "like" in the victim's speech, is passed from person to person by conversation. Teenagers seem to be particularly susceptible, but after long periods of exposure, adults can also catch the bug. If the disease is not cured, the sufferer might lose prospective jobs, as correct English is an invaluable tool in business. The only cure is identification and awareness of the problem and conscious effort to stop.

Ever since my parents informed me of my habit of constantly saying "like," the incorrect and superfluous use of "like" has irritated me to the point of being a pet peeve. "Like" is used in many incorrect ways: to punctuate a pause (I think, like, that...); to introduce a quote ("I was like, AReally?'"), in place of "around" or "approximately" (I have, like, eight hours of homework!!); to start a phrase (Like, what's going on?); or as incomprehensible (Like, I saw, like, you, like, and that, like, really cute guy you, like, like, at the, like, mall).

It is interesting to note that "like" is mainly used incorrectly in speech, and therefore is a speech habit. It represents a hesitancy to be definitive, perhaps linked to fear of being ridiculed for expressing true opinions. Instead of simply saying, "I hate the jerk you're going out with,"someone might say, "I, like, don't really like that guy, like, the one you're, like, going out with." Worse, for those who unconsciously have picked it up, it is a hard-to-break habit. Even though I constantly try to be aware of my speech, I am always catching myself in mid-sentence.

There are several ways this problem can be corrected. First, people must be informed that the problem exists. Teachers, parents, or friends could signal whenever "like" is used in conversation. For hard core "likers," listeners could shout "Valley Girl, Valley Girl," (my ninth grade English teacher's suggestion), scream, faint, or throw things. Above all, speaking slowly and concentrating on speech is a must for anyone who wants to correct the problem. "Like" used improperly is incorrect English, and should not be tolerated in speech. n