The Death Penalty | Teen Ink

The Death Penalty MAG

An article ran in the January issue of The 21st Century supporting the death penalty. I feel that it is important to print an article in opposition to capital punishment.

The death penalty has always been one of the most hotly debated issues in the United States. As our country grows older and wiser, however, evidence clearly points to the fact that the death penalty is not a good solution.

There is no question that killing another person is the most heinous crime that one can commit. I am not sure why, but it seems that our government is being hypocritical when it states that capital punishment is allowable because, after all, the criminal did murder an innocent victim, and therefore should be killed. This is known as the "eye-for-an-eye, and tooth-for-a- tooth theory." Of course, if we used this system all the time, there would be no need for laws. If someone hits me, I would hit him/her back. How simple, we can all be primitive again.

A second argument that some people use to support capital punishment is that the fear of being given the death penalty is going to stop criminals from murdering. How many criminals would murder in the first place, even in a state where there is no capital punishment, if they thought there was a chance of getting caught? Most murderers feel that they have a fool-proof plan to get away with murder. Unfortunately, most are right.

In response, I believe that the Bill of Rights, specifically the Eighth Amendment, prohibits cruel and unusual punishment. If there is any punishment much crueler than death, please let me know.

In addition, it is time to face the fact that our judicial system is prejudiced. For instance; in southern states, 8 percent of the black criminals who murder get the death penalty. Only 1 percent of white murderers get capital punishment. Also, murderers are seven times more likely to get the death penalty for murdering a white person as they are if they murdered a black person. This strikes me as blatant prejudice.

Finally and most importantly, no one, including a judge, is perfect. What happens if a person is given capital punishment and evidence turns up later which reveals that this person is innocent? If the "criminal" was put in jail, at least partial reparations could be made later. Obviously, if a person is given the death penalty, there is no turning back.

Indeed, it is not fair that murderers are often given parole after only a few years in jail. That is the reason that I would suggest those convicted of murder should be jailed for life with no option for parole. No matter how good the murderer is in jail, he/she should not be given parole. There are plenty of bridges and roads that need to be repaired. Let the convicted murderer work for the public good for the rest of his life. True, this will never make up totally for the misery of the victim's loved ones. But at this point in time, it seems better than the alternative.n

eric rules said...
If yu wana know whats worse then the death penalty is...torture. you could forse someone to eat his/hers fingers off they would live thus not bieng death. or feed there fingers to starving wolves. there are alot of toture methods...and the victim would still live.

BohemianRhapsody96 SILVER, Marcus Hook, Pennsylvania
I am a firm believer in Hammurabi's Code, the source of the "eye for an eye" mantra. As much as I would like to see rapists get raped and robbers get robbed, I know that cannot happen. However, I can see murderers get murdered. I support the death penalty. Oh, and the author challenges us to think of a penalty more cruel than death. How about good old-fashioned medieval torture? You know, being torn apart limb from limb, having eyes gouged out... you know.

IMSteel BRONZE said...
IMSteel BRONZE, Wallhala, South Carolina

"Learn from Yesterday, live for Today, hope for Tomorrow" - Albert Einstein

"Brevity is the Soul of Wit" - The Which

Humans do not have the right to kill anyone, no matter what they have done. "Let the man here who has commited no sin cast the first stone."  But as for, "eye for eye and tooth for tooth," that is fair, and just.  But no human is righteous enough to dole out that kind of punishment.

bmanzano8 said...
Kimber, studies have shown that more taxpayer money gets spent with death penalty trials than if they are sentenced to life in prison. The government goes through a lot of money to make sure that they do not mess up and accidentally kill someone who is innocent. They are required to have two trials instead of one and along with all the fees for the trial they also have to pay for the judges, district attorney, etc. Also since 1970, over 140 people have been declared innocent after having been put on death row. Innocent people run the risk of dying because of capital punishment. Is this risk really worth punishing a murderer?

dez_dez said...
i truley agree with ur opinion :)

PotsnPans SILVER, FPO, Other

Don't cry because it's over- Smile because it happened.
-Dr.Seuss

Immamonster, the purpose of being in jail is to think about what you've done and have to struggle to live with yourself for however long you're sentenced. If you get bailed quickly or right away, there isnt much of a punishment, and therefore little incentive to change your ways. Very few people who go to jail for short periods of time decide to straighten out and stop commiting crimes.

juliacoccaro SILVER, Spanish Fort, Alabama

"I'd sell you to Satan for one corn chip."

This is an amazing article. I disprove of the death penalty, but for different reasons, though. I NEVER think the death penalty is fair. I don't think it's enough. I think death is too quick, too easy, especially if it's painless or near-painless (which it is in too many cases). I think that the criminals should be made to suffer in prison, the longer the better, and then die off as they will.

immamonster said...
And what is the purpose of being in jail? Even though the victim achieved justice, but it is only for the sake of the victim, and how about the criminal who is already condemned to death, the criminal taught precisely nothing if the death penalty is implied in the case, because the criminal is no longer alive to learn from his own mistake. And if the criminal is only punished to be in prison, he has more time to change his life, and usually most people do learn from being jailed. Because in general, no one wants to go back there. There have been and always will be cases of executions of innocent people. No matter how developed a justice system is, it will always remain susceptible to human failure. Unlike prison sentences, the death penalty is irreversible and irreparable. And death penalty also stimulates a crime. We cannot change a person’s life by killing him or her. 

TheSkyOwesMeRain GOLD, Irvine, California

Life isn't measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments which take your breath away.

You are only as strong as your weakest link.

What a great essay! And I totally agree with you, capital punishment should not be allowed; we should not allow ourselves to become murderers as well!

Lau18 said...
Awesome essay.. It has really good arguments, i totally agree with this opinion about death penalty it is really not fair.

Potterhead_Is_amazing GOLD, Arvada, Colorado

Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, so long as one remembers to turn on the light.

That is so....cruel on so many levels.I agree that some people should recieve the death penalty,but only if the evidence is positive that it WAS the killer and not just someone who was at the wrong place at the wrong time.

bookmouse BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Kimber, you said that "Your parents teach you right from wrong when you are small." Not everyone is lucky enough to have parents that teach them that.

eamaddox said...
I agree if someone has been arrested for murder they should be out down preferably in the same way as they killed.

Kimber said...
It is not fair for the taxpayers and family of murdered victem to pay for housing, food, clothing, soap, phone calls, AC, Heat, books, schooling on and on and on for somone who murdered another human being. Your parents teach you right from wrong when you are small. There are consequences for every action wether it be good or bad. I say execute those who kill, they will never be repeat offenders who appeal and tie up our courts and billions yearly when they murdered and they know they are guilty. I am sick to death of paying taxes to keep murders alive so they can complain about the prison food or that they didn't get the brand of soap that they requested it is redicelous! Get rid of them and watch how the crime rates drop because they know they will be executed within 90 days of conviction. Y'all better be glad I am not a judge because I say enough is enough!

Kimber said...
My Fioncee did not get a second chance because he was killed by a drunk driver 6 days before our wedding, we were 23 years old. Not only did my Fioncee die but his work partner as well who was married and had 2 teen children that were left with no Father and his wife was made a widow. Where is our second chance? The drunk driver was released after 13 months! It was 2 cases of vehicular manslaughter because of Alcohol. They should have given him life X2 without the chance of parole, where is my parole? I have lived with this all my life. The drunk lived a nice ripe old age and was still drinking himself silly. Where is the justice in that?

Brunette said...
yeah so lets teach that person a lesson by killing them right? Yeah sure it is wrong but why kill that person because he killed. It's so wrong because you think that a judge, jury, or prosecutor should decide the fate of a person because they have a degree. If god can forgive someone for killing one of his child then you sure can.... 

Brunette said...
actually the death penalty is way more expensive then life in jail. also if you had/have a son or daughter and they got into an argument and killed that person out of rage and years later they regret it but its to late because there already dead or about to die in a few years, wouldn't it break ur heart to see that person die over a mistake... I know ur probably thinking what if I was the mother of the person he/she killed well I would forgive because forgiveness is the best revenge their is.... 

Brunette said...
well actually we have free will, we make our own choices in life god doen't make our choices for us, so the reason that an old guy would rape and kill a little girl/boy is because that guy choose to not because god said or forced him to go kill and rape a little girl/boy because its part of his "plan" no that person is wrong. God gave us free will so that we can live our life the way we want to. Some use it for good and some for bad but overall we are responsible for our actions... sorry if I wrote so much lol :) 

Sasa2love said...
I TOTALLY AGREE

Sasa2love said...
OK first off, you dont know really know anything about the death penalty because sometimes innocent people were killed. Why should murders live for a bad choice they made. If yuo kill them now then they wont have a chance to kill again. Why let them rot inn jail for a horrible thing like that