On The Topic of (my content's) Trigger Warnings | Teen Ink

On The Topic of (my content's) Trigger Warnings

May 2, 2021
By SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont
SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont
200 articles 23 photos 1053 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It Will Be Good." (complicated semi-spiritual emotional story.)

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands
That glisten in dim candle play." -Janice T., Clockwork[love that poem, dont know why, im not steampunk]


If you browse my page in my fiction, you'll notice I have a lot of things that say (trigger warning) or (TW) in the title. so I'm going to explain here what that's for and (to the best of my ability) what triggers you don't have to worry about. I'm going to clarify right here: I speak only for myself. I don't know what others(if they use trigger warnings) choose to label.

So one of the things I care about passionately is the rights of people with trauma-based triggers. FOR THE LAST TIME BEING IRATATED IS NOT A TRIGGER!!! So a lot of my content, especially the recent stuff(most of my older writing up until interwoven wolves is descriptions of places or things), includes deaths, violence, suicide, self-harm, occasionally abuse, or just a general character mindset of a darker potentially triggering nature. I do my best to label what it is that's triggering. the one time I didn't but a trigger warning in the title was with blood rose the fiction, because that was my 100th thing and i wanted it to be virtually identical at first glance to the first thing that got on teenink, but that was a special circumstance.

Anyhow, so I label stuff that has darker content, but only if it is possibly triggering to people with trauma/ptsd/cptsd/osdd/did. i do have sad dark stuff that isn't triggering, and I dont use trigger warnings like content warnings. i dont use content warnings at all(so I wouldn't show any of it to a child without scanning it first, the exceptions being wild(or maybe i titled it freedom?) and a golden feather, which i wrote specifically for a 9-year-old, so its safe). 

So i have trauma-based triggers to, and i cant write about that without triggering myself, so you never have to worry about anything related to ok how to i say this without triggering myself? ok, i cant say it without triggering myself. or say it and feel comfortable with people reading it. but i already made a list of common causes for trigger warnings and it isn't there.

so anyway, that's basiclly how my trigger warnings work with several tangents. again, i cant speak for others. i can say that with very few expetions there will be a trigger warning in the title if there's a trigger warning and i do try to say why.