the short name | Teen Ink

the short name

By 2cushman BRONZE, H, Wisconsin
2cushman BRONZE, H, Wisconsin

JJ. is a short name and has  two of the same letters in my name. People think it is my nickname, but I don't need a nickname.  Sometimes I think about what I would be without it and it all comes to one thing. Nothing. 

The way I see it, my name to other people is like the last piece of a puzzle that won't fit, and all you can do is stare at the puzzle, rethinking everything. My name shows that it is odd and it is not really a normal name to have. But I like it. it is the missing puzzle piece that completes the puzzle showing its true self.

I think of my name as those types of paintings in a museum that have a bunch of scribbles on it that cost millions. A rare piece to have. The people looking at the painting might wonder why this is art because of the scribbles. But it's the meaning, the story, and history being so much more than the scribbles itself.

“JJ” was given to me by mistake. With my little cousin not  knowing how to say the name ‘Jared’, he found a way to just say JJ. I guess it caught on with my family because they started to call me this instead of “Jared”, which was the name that was given to me in Russia where I was born. 

My name is a light blue sky on a sunny day, the light breeze flowing through my hair with the birds chirping from afar and getting closer. An itch on the thigh that is begging for attention. The sweet taste of sweet tea on your tongue. Small as an ant, stronger than god. My name represents this image with all of the minute details being part of who I am. 

JJ is a symbol of strength and independence. It reminds me of the story of Davidand Goliath. Where David was a small person defeated Goliath, a very strong and well built man, that was the height of three of him. By defeating a man that was deadly to even look at he proved to everyone that he is stronger than he looks. 

no matter the size, it is something that is stronger within. JJ stands out to people in many different ways. Some think it is small. Some think it is not as useful for a name but I believe in the saying, “Don't judge a book by its cover.”  

this is a piece that my class is doing it is writting about our names