2021 Kindness Contest:Neighbor Emergency | Teen Ink

2021 Kindness Contest:Neighbor Emergency

By kali73304 SILVER, Long Lane, Missouri
kali73304 SILVER, Long Lane, Missouri

My dad and I are both volunteer firefighters and a few weeks ago, my neighbor’s daughter ran to my house, she was hysterical and screaming my dad’s name. My dad answered the door and she asked for him to help.  Then my dad went next door with the little girl to see what the problem was. After a few minutes my dad came back to get a flashlight and to get me so I could help. My dad then told me that the neighbor and her father had just gotten home when he collapsed, so the neighbor told her daughter to come and get my dad to help. We ran to the neighbor's driveway to find our neighbor leaning over her father screaming with the little girl running around crying and yelling. Then my dad radioed the emergency dispatcher to get an ambulance. I asked my dad what I could do to help and he told me to keep the little girl calm.  I went over to the little girl, who was hyperventilating, to calm her down. My dad started to perform CPR and my neighbor did rescue breaths. After the ambulance got there, I took the little girl back to my house to get her away from the situation. As we talked, I gave the little girl some food because she told me she hadn't eaten yet. When the little girl started talking about the situation again, I let her pick a movie to watch to get her mind off of the circumstance and so she wouldn’t hyperventilate again. I then went back next door to see what else I could do and the neighbor requested that her daughter be brought back.  When I came back with the little girl I started talking to my dad and he told me that he and the EMTs alternated on CPR for almost an hour, but the neighbor’s father never woke up. Sadly, that day my neighbor’s father passed away.