What does Fahrenheit 451 say about balancing cooperation and conflict? | Teen Ink

What does Fahrenheit 451 say about balancing cooperation and conflict?

By Vincezhu07 BRONZE, Sammammish, Washington
Vincezhu07 BRONZE, Sammammish, Washington

The novel F451 displays cooperation and conflict ending. In many cases, people decide to cooperate to solve a problem or a conflict and then forget about it. This is seen throughout the novel when conflict and cooperation arise. Thus, the novel is trying to show that cooperation and conflict is balanced, all it takes is time to create a balance between cooperation and conflict.

This is seen through Montag’s sudden change in behavior, becoming someone who is against society. When people read books, it is illegal, and one can be arrested. So, when Montag decided to read books, he knew he couldn’t go back to the fire station or else Captain Beatty will be able to see through right away. To solve this issue, Montag finds someone to cooperate with, Faber, who is an English professor. Faber helps Montag (cooperation) confront Beatty (conflict) without being seen through right away or breaking down. Faber in this case represents time, as being an English professor means he’s involved in books. Books often contain text from the past, a way to contain time. Furthermore, Faber often uses phrases that is involved with time, such as “it’s been a long time” or “remember”, further suggesting Faber is representing time helping balance cooperation and conflict. As Montag is cooperating with Faber (time) to solve a conflict with Beatty, this shows how time helps balance cooperation and conflict.

In the novel, it also shows how events can be end over time, balancing cooperation and conflict. This is seen starting from Montag burning Beatty. Although this may be seen as conflict, the burning of Beatty was cooperation between Beatty and Montag. Through the tone and actions of Beatty’s, it is evident that Beatty wanted death. Beatty’s tone was meant to provoke Montag and his actions showed how he didn’t try to stop Montag from burning him. This is seen when Beatty provokes Montag while standing behind him joking- even when he had a flamethrower pointed at him. Following this, towards the end of the novel, a bomb was dropped on the city and many other cities, completely wiping them out, similar to an eraser fixing a mistake someone wrote with a pencil. Writing something down represents marking down time and using an eraser is creating a fresh start, with no cooperation or conflict, being a balance. In this case, the bomb is the eraser, and the city is the writing. This bomb wiping out cities show how over time, cooperation and conflict ends up being balance. Similarly, Montag burning Beatty shows something similar, where the conflict between Beatty ends and the need for cooperation disbands, balancing over a period of time.

Through many interactions in the novel F451, it is clear how cooperation and conflict end up being balanced over time. This balance of cooperation and conflict happens in the modern world, where conflict or cooperation ends over time. For example, controversy with someone online through twitter or social media. During the start of it, there is cooperation to get justice for the issue, which is conflict as well. Following this when everything deescalates, this cooperation and conflict ends, meaning it is now balanced.