Liquid Biopsy: Revolutionizing Cancer Detection | Teen Ink

Liquid Biopsy: Revolutionizing Cancer Detection

April 25, 2023
By Dana_Koptleuova BRONZE, Aktobe, Other
Dana_Koptleuova BRONZE, Aktobe, Other
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Do not let the things that have hurt you turn you into a person you are not.


Millions of individuals worldwide are afflicted by the potentially fatal disease of cancer. For effective cancer therapy and control, early detection is essential. However, conventional techniques for detecting cancer, like tissue biopsies, involve invasive, costly, and time-consuming procedures.

Fortunately, a cutting-edge technique called liquid biopsy is revolutionizing how we detect and track cancer. By examining tumor-derived substances in bodily fluids like blood, urine, and saliva, a non-invasive technique known as liquid biopsy can identify malignancy. These substances include tumor extracellular vesicles, DNA, and circulating tumor cells.

How does liquid biopsy operate then? To identify tumor characteristics such as progression, staging, heterogeneity, gene alterations, and clonal evolution, tumor-derived entities from body fluids are isolated, and their genomic and proteomic data are analyzed. Liquid biopsy allows simple tumor sampling, ongoing monitoring, individualized treatment plans, and the ability to check for therapeutic resistance.

Liquid biopsy technology is being developed by a number of businesses, including Guardant Health, Freenome, Grail, and Exact Sciences. The Guardant360 liquid biopsy test, developed by Guardant Health, is the first to be FDA-approved to identify genetic changes in solid tumors. With just a quick blood draw, Freenome is creating a liquid biopsy test that uses AI to detect multiple cancer kinds. While Exact Sciences has created a test that can identify several different types of cancer at an early stage, Grail has raised more than $2 billion in funding to develop a blood test for early cancer diagnosis.

The industry's most recent developments include the creation of liquid biopsy tests for early cancer detection, treatment monitoring, and patient outcome prediction. For instance, scientists at the University of California, San Diego, have created a liquid biopsy test that can accurately identify eight different cancer types. The incorporation of liquid biopsy with other technologies, such AI and machine learning, to enhance cancer detection and diagnosis, is another new advancement.

Liquid biopsy has a bright future. Liquid biopsy may eventually be a standard component of cancer diagnosis and screening thanks to continuous research and development. The technique might also be used to forecast the likelihood of a cancer return and assess the effectiveness of cancer treatments. Additionally, liquid biopsy might facilitate the discovery of fresh targets for cancer therapy and hasten the advancement of novel cancer therapies.

Consequently, liquid biopsy is transforming the early identification and treatment of cancer. The technology provides a simple, non-invasive way to find cancer and keep track of how well treatments are working. Liquid biopsy may eventually be a standard component of cancer diagnosis and screening, saving many lives as a result of ongoing research and development.


The author's comments:

Hi, my name is Dana and I'm a 16-year-old girl living in Kazakhstan. I have a passion for reading and creative writing, and I dream of one day writing my own book.

Ever since I was a little girl, I have loved getting lost in the pages of a good book. Whether it's a classic novel or a modern bestseller, I enjoy immersing myself in different worlds and experiencing the lives of the characters I read about. Reading is not just a hobby for me, it's a way of life.

Along with my love for reading, I also enjoy writing. I love to write short stories and poetry in my free time, and I'm always looking for ways to improve my craft. Writing is my way of expressing my thoughts and emotions, and it gives me a sense of fulfillment that I can't get from anything else.

One of my biggest dreams is to write my own book someday. I want to create a story that will capture people's imaginations and inspire them in the same way that so many books have inspired me. I know it won't be easy, but I'm willing to put in the work and dedication to make it happen.

Outside of my love for reading and writing, I also enjoy spending time with my friends and family. I love exploring new places and trying new things, and I'm always up for a good adventure.

Overall, I'm just a girl with big dreams and a love for books and writing. I may not know exactly what the future holds, but I'm excited to find out and see where my passions take me.