personal essay #1 | Teen Ink

personal essay #1

May 17, 2023
By KekaSanborn BRONZE, Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
KekaSanborn BRONZE, Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

A person: Who has had an influence on your life, either positive or negative? Tell me about him/her.
It might seem like a lot of people would write about what I am writing about right now but he is the most influential person in my life. My dad. He has taught me everything I know and showed what it is like to be a man. I get my sense of humor from him and as well as my work ethic. I try to be like him everyday and I always try to represent him the best that I possibly can. I see him everyday more than anybody. The best thing is is that he looks out for me and my best interests.

Ever since I was young I always learned things from him. No matter how small or how big I always did. I grew up looking up to him. There were points in my life where I doubted him and I figured out the hard way, to never doubt him. He is really wise. People tend to say that they learn more from their mom than their dad, especially sons. He was always there for me when times were rough as well. But it was very different. My mom was the one giving me the pillow and telling me that she loves me and tells me everything is okay, but my dad was very different. He always gave me the hard stick and always a glimpse of reality. He always let me get room and when I came out about my feelings about something he didn’t say many words but he just did. He did things for me to help me get myself out of that situation. My dad was my strength during my hard times and he was always there. 

My dads name is Keka KP Sanborn. No we are not jr. and Sr. because of different last names. Nonetheless, my dad grew up with almost nothing. My grandpa was full blood Hawaiian and my grandma is 50% Irish. He is one of 7 siblings with 5 sisters and 1 younger brother, he is the second oldest out of all of his siblings, also being the oldest boy sibling in the family. If anyone knows how it is to be the oldest brother in a household, they would understand. He had to be the one to make the most money and did the most outside of college for his faith and college. He worked his ass off to get my family to where we are at. He is fluent in Spanish because of his 2 year stay in South America. He is the smartest person I know personally and it's all because of how hard he worked. I strive to be like him everyday.

That is why he is the person who has influenced me the most. I cannot ever show how grateful I am for him. Yes we get into fights sometimes but it's all for the right reason we butt heads but there are some ideals that we differ, but the difference of ideals is very small to say the least. No one else can compare(besides my mom) on how he has influenced my life. When I get older I will always visit him and my family when I can. I am so grateful for him.


The author's comments:

its a reminiscing piece. It talks about my dad and how he has affected me.