How To Start Running | Teen Ink

How To Start Running

By ellabarrie GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
ellabarrie GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

"Remember it's only in the black of night you see the stars. And those stars will lead you back home".

Running is a skill that takes patience. It starts out with executional pain and discouragement. “Don’t push your limits,” said Jessica Courtney, an eighteen year old from Arrowhead Union High School, in Hartland, Wisconsin. Courtney achieved the “ups and downs” from running. In middle school, Courtney despised running. She struggled with asthma and being a slow runner. To stay in shape for the lacrosse season, Courtney decided to start running on her own. She later discovered that she had grown to enjoy running. How does one who loathes running enjoy it over a period of time? Here is advice from Courtney, teaching you not only how to start running, but enjoy it:

Tip one: run at your own pace

Many beginners may dislike it right away, just like Courtney in middle school. It takes time to run further, faster pace. This is why Courtney didn’t join cross country. She did not want to feel pushed, she wanted to be independent. She learned that beginner runners run in small intervals. For example, a jogging pace for two minutes and a two minute walk in between. Intervals should be measured by one's comfort level. It is okay to challenge yourself in order to grow, but do not push yourself. It is important to listen to your body and set reasonable limits.

Tip two: run for your own benefit

Running is a way to stay active by influencing one's cardio endurance. As mentioned before, Courtney struggled with asthma. But from adding running to her life routine, her asthma adjusted to this new habit, eventually going away. This not only influences Courtney’s running ability, but her lifestyle. Now when she plays lacrosse, she isn’t as tired. It is also important to keep nutrition in mind. Eating healthy can affect your running skill level by giving you enough energy in order to keep the endorphins flowing while running. 

Tip three: find distractions 

Countney mentioned that when running, you can get in your head. This makes it easy to overthink—enhancing a negative mindset. In order to avoid your mind to beguile yourself, Courtney suggests finding distractions while running. Some examples are listening to music, watching a show on the treadmill, or running with someone else. 

I hope that these three tips will encourage you to start running. Remember to try your best. Do not run from running!