LISTEN. | Teen Ink

LISTEN.

By NishaWadhwani SILVER, Flushing, New York
NishaWadhwani SILVER, Flushing, New York

Just because someone's a minor, does that mean they're not entitled to have opinions or any original thoughts? Does that mean they're not allowed to have anything to say?

I mean, people (parents, teachers, mentors, society, etc) are always telling minors to express themselves.

Speech is a form of expression.

And yet, every time they have something to say, even if it's important, they're brushed off, ignored.

I am a minor.

Does that mean I don't matter? Does that mean I'm unimportant? Does it mean I can't have my own thoughts? Does it mean I'm here without a purpose? Does it mean I don't have ideas? Does it mean that you believe that I have yet to experience the hardships of life?

Everyone has experiences. All different kinds of experiences. And they're all important, in some way. They all hold some kind of meaning, for someone. So what gives anyone the right to look at you and say, "you don't have the experience to know right from wrong, good from bad, acceptable from unacceptable?" For all the judge knows, the judged might have more experience in certain areas than they do.

So is it fear? Fear of a total lack of control? Do they who believe themselves to be the wiser believe everything will be in chaos if those who have ideas, good or bad, are heard?

Does being a minor mean I can't change anything, impact anyone?

One day, I will impact someone's life. Maybe not drastically, but I will, in one way or another. So why should I be told about everything I can't do and why should I be ignored, when all it will really do is prolong what I've already set my mind to do?

Why should I be treated like I'm doing something wrong just by speaking my mind?

And yes, I'll admit, this isn't only a problem for minors. But maybe if we start off by trying to change something big in a smaller way, it'll make just the tiniest difference.

There's always going to be someone who is older, who believes they are wiser. But that doesn't mean everyone has to do this just because it happened to them.

So is that why? Is that the reason why people refuse to listen to me? Because at one point in their life they too were unheard and ignored?

But if that's the case, most would wonder why they would turn around and do the same to others? That's what I call humanity.

I'm not trying to change the world or the way people live their lives.

I'm just trying to be heard.

This is something from my journal, written because I go to a school with 4600 people and everyone's response to you will most likely be, "I don't care." It really does get irritating after a while.

junaid1021 said...
good job...! :)

great work, keep it up