iPods in Schools | Teen Ink

iPods in Schools

October 12, 2007
By Anonymous

In my public high school we are not allowed to listen to our iPods at all. If seen listening to your iPod, a hall monitor, teacher, or any other faculty member will take it away.

Our resource center is an area in the school that has working areas for classes, a computer lab, and a library. When our teachers take us to the resource center to work on research projects, we are sent to work in silence. Last year while, working on my final paper for history, I reached in my bag and grabbed my iPod; seconds later the librarian was behind me asking for it. I began to wonder why we weren’t allowed to use our ipods to help us focus while we work.

Listening to your own music while you work does not interrupt someone else’s work. I believe that listening to music helps me focus. Sometimes I even think that it brings out my creativity and helps produce better results.

In my opinion, iPods should be allowed in schools. My creative writing teacher lets us listen when we are writing a story or typing a final draft. The music keeps us quiet and helps us to get our work done.
Schools everywhere deal with iPods differently. A ban on iPods is so strictly enforced at a New Jersey middle school. As many as three a week are confiscated and returned only to the student’s parents. At a private school for girls on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, the iPod is a "must have". It was incorporated into foreign-language and classics courses. For about 300 girls in grades 7 through 12, the iPod is now required for homework and classroom assignments. A school in Sydney beliveves that the iPod leads to social isolation.
I believe that using your iPod during independent school work and is a good use of technology. If your work is done and it isnt interfering with anything, there is no reason for an iPod ban. I hope my school starts to incorporate our iPods in to classes.