The Butterfly Effect | Teen Ink

The Butterfly Effect

By Bka341997 GOLD, Bigfork, Montana
Bka341997 GOLD, Bigfork, Montana

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take our breath away!

Weather and a time travel movie can use the same quote, cant they? While watching the movie The Butterfly Effect, the quote “It has been said something as small as the flutter of a butterfly’s wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world” flashed across the screen. It was a quote originally used by the Edward Lorenz, as a more poetic way of saying weather is hard to predict. In the movie however, the quote meant that if one changes their past, their whole future could be changed in a way that is unpredictable.
The past being changed is something that everyone has thought about once or twice. Anything bad that ever happened would never have happened. One could change course when they had been in the wrong place at the wrong time. One could save a life that had been lost, or they could just change a simple mistake. It is a common wish, to change the past. Life would be much simpler if no one’s mistakes were recorded, but mistakes make people, problems and inconveniences make people who they are. If one did not get through a hard time, but went back and fix it would not help anyone. It might even make things worse. Not meeting someone who one was supposed to meet, not doing something one was supposed to do, not seeing something one was supposed to see, or not thinking something that one was supposed to think, could ruin everything that was coming for them. It may even make a bigger change if they thought something they were not supposed to think, they could give the world something it is not ready for, what people are not ready for.
Pasts are part of people, one’s past does not determine their future, like the present does, but it can change it dramatically. Everyone should be proud they got through their problems, not wished they could erase them. If one has a problem now, they should look into the future and see what the inconvenience can bring them. Bravery, strength, and knowledge, can all come from mistakes, but people do not see them as helpful, they see them as what they are…mistakes. Mistakes should be seen as opportunity, a way to better ones self and nothing else.

Works Cited
Lorenz, Edward "The Butterfly Tempest Weather Bulletin." People.sc.fsu.edu. 11 Sept. 2011. Web. 08 Feb. 2012. <http://people.sc.fsu.edu/~jburkardt/fun/misc/butterfly.html>.
The Butterfly Effect. Dir. Eric Bress and J. M. Gruber. Perf. Ashton Kutcher. WHV The Entertainment Network, 2004. DVD.
Theory, Chaos "Butterfly Award Effect Symbol." Wilbau. 24 Oct. 2008. Web. 7 Feb. 2012. <http://wilbau.blogspot.com/>.

Assignment for English