School Athletics | Teen Ink

School Athletics

For those students who think that school athletics are not a important part of the high school experience then you are sorely mistaken. Americas founding fathers were very intelligent yes, but I’m sure those guys wanted to kick back and have some fun every once in awhile. I mean hey, Ben Franklin decided to fly a kite and we got electricity out of it.

Through the age’s athletics are a way into recreation that helps us relax and escape from the real world that we have to deal with day in and day out. The great American game of baseball calms the spirit of the American people in times of war, depression, and lose; it even gave women an outlet in war time with the women’s baseball league (yes that really did happen; it wasn’t just a movie with Madonna and Rosie O’Donnell). And it had to toke some brilliant Americans to invent these long lasting sports. Baseball was invented in 1845 by Alexander Joy Cartwright in New York City, Basketball was invented in 1891 by Dr. James Naismith while teaching at the YMCA training school in Springfield, Massachusetts, and Volleyball was invented in 1895 by W. G. Morgan in Holyoke, Massachusetts where he served as the Director of physical education.

These three popular American sports were invented for the people and for the peoples CHILDREN to enjoy. A doctor was the one to invent the game of basketball utilizing just two peach baskets. The sports we grew up watching and learning about helped us in more than just the “popularity” aspect that some high school students associate “jocks” with in high school athletics, they also help us with socializing skills, in fighting the ever growing laziness epidemic in American, and getting even helping these multitasking student athletes get better grades in school.

As a kid my mom and dad asked me to be involved in lil’ hoops or tee ball. Let me emphasize that they asked me, they didn’t just throw me into organized sports because they feared me becoming a social outcast or a fat couch lounger, they asked me because they thought I would enjoy it and it was a great way to meet kids in the neighborhood and have fun while doing it. And yes I know that all sports don’t work for all people, I hated playing basketball and I recently developed a deep hate for volleyball on account of a coach, but as soon as I felt this way I told my parents I didn’t wish to continue and they backed me up 100%.

The laziness of today’s youth is growing and I know some parents of American feel bad putting their kids on diets or other eating restrictions. To get the youth of American up and out doors, there are at least one park district in each community that offer the basic sports such as soccer, basketball, and Tee-ball. These activities are low intensity once to twice a week practice with one game on the weekends that any child could handle doing, as long as they’re having fun doing it.

And with these park districts that have developed your socializing skills and playing talents you are know ready for the competitive world of high school athletics. In high school sports, you to maintain a passing grade in at least 4 of your 6 classes and have to submit grade sheets to alert coaches of a risk in failing any classes and being ineligible to play. These school student athletes have to be the model student when joggling the sport in hand the school work, and having fun with your friends. And with the hard work done after the junior year the lucky get the reward of a college scholarship to continue not just a higher athletic level of play but a higher level of education.