sea side | Teen Ink

sea side

By brittany454 BRONZE, Corbett, Oregon
brittany454 BRONZE, Corbett, Oregon

you have to go through the hail before u can have the rainbow

The water crawled up the sand until it was taller than me. I turned around trying to out swim it, But to no avail it was out to get me, and drag me out to the salty desert. My heart felt like it was about to jump out of my chest and run for land. I could feel it right behind me as it had caught up to my black surfboard.

Every year we would go to the same place, Sea Side; but I had not been
there for a year or two. We had been busy going to other places like Disneyland, or home
So ya I was excited, and this time we would be staying at a beach house and not some old campground.

We were almost there by now. We almost screamed as we see the beach, and ocean. We could smell the salty ocean. I could not wait to feel the salt water rush under my feet. the car pulled in front of a big blue house, and as soon as the car stopped, I was the first one out. My brother and I headed straight for the beach. It was hot out; the kinda hot that could melt a popsickle in under a minute. As soon as we hit the water, we were back out. The water was freezing, however my brother did not let that change his mind though. He sat in the water; every few seconds he would move out further, more and more. Soon he was on the water; like he was flying on silk. He was faster than a dolphin going for its favorite kind of fish.

I soon got jealous of him and wanted to show off; so I grabbed the black board with the hula surfer on it and headed out. Even though it was colder than the water during the Titanic, I raged on. I was soon to my waist in the cooled ocean water. I thought of turning back, but my brother had started to cheer me on so I jumped on my blackboard and started patrolling. I watched the waves go up and up and up till they were taller than me. The waves were not very big but if your second biggest fear is to drown in black water, you would be scared. I waited for a biggish wave to come. At sea side a big wave was just barely enough to carry you. My heart was pumping faster than a cheetah could run. I saw the wave coming towards me like a train. I turned the small bored around, and began to paddle away. When I felt the water touch my toes. It went under me, and came out the other end I was not fast enough. I was not scared anymore; I was just mad. I paddled out once more. I sat there watching the waves, waiting for the right moment. I turned around as fast as I could, and I paddled as fast as I could. My arms were starting to hurt. I dug my hands into the water. I felt the water tickling my feet as it soon moved under me. It grabbed me; I was souring and I no longer needed to paddle, the wave did it for me. I was flying on cooled Jello. My face was full of life; I was so happy to have finally gotten a perfect wave. However, one wave was not enough and I wanted to do it over and over again. I rode about ten more waves before I got bored.

Later, my brother came up to me and asked if I wanted to play a game. “Yes, I have the perfect game,” I told my brother with a grin. “What”, Chris asked me somehow already knowing it was not going to end well. “Two words,” I said, “water wars.” “So, you sit on your board, and I will sit on mine. We push each other till one of us falls off,” I explained. Chris agreed, so we both sat on our boards about 2 feet between each other. The waves were flat, and we were 24 feet from the shore. We looked at each other with determination in both of our eyes. I counted one, two, three. It didn't take much to push my brother off his board just a little shove and he went plush into the water. My brother popped up gasping for air, and at the same time yelling, “unfair!”

My mom came out to where the water came and touched the hot sand. She yelled out that it was “time to go”. My brother and I sat on the cold water yelling back, “one more wave”. We were told “one more, but hurry”. Chris turned to me and said the two words that were commonly said in my family “race you”. I smiled back and said “you're on” . I dug my arms into the black water and pulled back as fast as I could. I had one disadvantage to this race, my brothers arms were wider than mine and they were better to use as oars. We found the wave. It was a little shorter then me, and there was a good chance that it could not carry me in, but this was an ace and I was going to win. I turned around and paddled like I was being chased by a shark. The wave came up under me; it was bigger than I thought. I leaned forward and “plush” I did a faceplant. The wave took me under. I flew like a penguin underwater. The next time I opened my eyes I was on the sand. I had not been knocked out, I was just powerless under the water like I was just dog-piled by the high school football team; I could not move. I was just at the mercy of the ocean. It wears on me because I had just lost the race to my younger brother.
I left the beach soon after that. We hopped in the car, and I longed for the feeling of sand in-between my toes.

i love the beach its my favorite place to be. you can go play in the water, hunt for shells, or just kick back and watch the water crash. this is a small part of what is still the best vacation that i have had so far. its about my time at the beach. the place i go to with my family every year. in my words the happiest place on earth.