On the Existence of Multiple Minds | Teen Ink

On the Existence of Multiple Minds

July 2, 2013
By T.S.O.L SILVER, Matthews, North Carolina
T.S.O.L SILVER, Matthews, North Carolina
9 articles 0 photos 3 comments

It was stated by some Christian professor, whose name escapes me, that one thing that cannot be scientifically proven is the metaphysical truth that multiple minds exist aside from your own. This may be difficult to grasp for some people; it falls under the guidelines of the Skepticism school of Philosophy, which adopts principles stating that nothing is real due to the senses lack of credibility. Since 1999, this has also been referred to as “the Matrix theory”; the true existence of the world cannot be proven. This also reminded me of basic atheistic Philosophy of needing to “see it to believe it”.

While these examples refer to god and the physical world in its entirety, it can be applied to the existence of any other mind aside from your own. You cannot and will never see through other individuals’ eyes, you’ll never feel another person’s internal thought process, and you’ll never know another’s secrets and preferences unless they’re told to you. So what’s to say that mind exists, or isn’t simply an organization of predetermined information to relate to your mind? I understand this sounds a bit like a conspiracy or an over thinking, but It has been contemplated for hundreds of years prior to today, and I think good could still come from this topics consideration.