Why I stand, but do not say the Pledge of Allegiance | Teen Ink

Why I stand, but do not say the Pledge of Allegiance

Think back to when our country was begun. The ideals that first started our nation is what our country should stands for, but hardly does now. Over time, with us cruelly taking the Native Americans lands away with no return, thinking of slavery as normal, and countlessly lying to our citizens, the United States has been corupted over a long period of time. Even with most of those things gone, we still see our morals and ideals at the worst they have ever been. Because of deception and near treason at the top levels of government, and citizens never knowing when they are being watched, I will not say the words of the Pledge.
So why do I stand? Purely because of the men and women who have died for our country. The word patriotic doesn't mean to me aimlessly obeying a higher order just because you are well off. I see true patrioticism as those minutemen who gave their lives to save a new country from the hands of imperialism. So until we go back to a government purely "for the people," you can expect silence from me at the start of every school day.

SloopyMcCoy said...
Yup. I don't stand either. Violation of church/state separation.

www.ffrf.org-- they work for the separation of church/state...

Well this country was made purely on Christian values as it was supposed to be a sort of utopia, which obviously didn't happen. But even though there is separation of church and state, we can't go against the main points of the U.S. Also, I hope you reconsider your choice as an Atheist. It would be good if the end came soon cause then you would be convinced.

I don't say the pledge either, but my reasons differ from yours. I do not believe in 'God' and am an Atheist. The Pledge violates the seperation between church and state.

Sunshine said...
Ultimately, I pledge no allegiance to ANY flag. What is a flag but a simple symbol? I pledge allegiance to causes like freedom and equality, priorities somehow lost in time, after money and imperialism started to take over politician's focus.

kasket5221 said...
I feel that this article correctly displays the view of the country, and it gives me explanation into my own views. I feel this way, but I have never even thought of it, nor would I ever know except for reading this article. I respect the men and women who have served in the military, but I do not respect what our country stands for, the morals we have, and the way the government is “for the people” but not completely by the people.

Gnisud9077 said...
When I first saw this article I was prepared to say so many things of how it was wrong. But as I started reading it, I realized how true this article actually is. Our country if “For the People” but it isn’t actually for all us smaller people. Our government works more with those in power than it does with us small. I still say the national anthem though, because our troops still fight for our freedom even though our government comes along with it.

mae-mae said...
i too, stand but do not say the pledge. Though my reason's are slightly different; I do not believe patriotism is blidly following a government as it goes down. I will not be brought down but bad leaders. Thank you for this piece.