Teen Baby Trend | Teen Ink

Teen Baby Trend MAG

By Anonymous

Does today’s generation glamorize teenage pregnancy? About four in ten girls become pregnant before age 20. Annually, about 900,000 teenage pregnancies occur nationally – approximately 52 pregnancies per hour. Almost 40 percent of young mothers haven’t reached the age of 18 when they become pregnant.

An epidemic. How could something like teenage pregnancy ever become so popular that it’s considered an epidemic? Of course we all know the obvious reason for pregnancy, but one perplexing question is why aren’t teens being more ­responsible? One would think that young adults would know enough to be careful. However, not using protection isn’t always the cause of teenage pregnancy.

Surprising as it may seem, some teenage girls may choose to get pregnant because they don’t see any life goals within their reach other than motherhood. Some may be seeking the unconditional love of a child. Or maybe a young woman believes that having her boy­friend’s baby will make him want to stay with her. However, nearly 80 percent of these fathers do not marry the mother of their children.

Sadly, an intended pregnancy doesn’t hold the advantages that young people believe it will. I believe another cause is something many desire and thrive on: ­attention. Attention can cause a big (but false) boost in self-esteem. It provides a temporary happiness that is addictive for some.

If you pick up any magazine like People, Star, or Us Weekly, you are pretty much guaranteed to find at least one article about a pregnant celebrity. Millions and millions of people fawn over these stars. When celeb mommies spill the details about their ­little soon-to-be bundles of joy, people seek to emulate their glamorous lives.

One of the most popular confessional pieces in the ­media recently was about a famous teenage mother: Jamie Lynn Spears. She starred in “Zoey 101” – a popular Nickelodeon show among both tweens and little tykes – for only three seasons before she leaked to OK! magazine about her “surprising and shocking” pregnancy with her older boyfriend, Casey Aldridge.

For months, Jamie was on baby watch. Paparazzi followed her around begging for comments and pictures of her and her developing baby-bump. Every tabloid had something to say about Spears’s unborn child, and most of the articles were positive accounts of the support she was ­receiving from her parents and how she and Aldridge were planning to marry.

Another recent, highly public teenage pregnancy was that of Bristol Palin, daughter of Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin. The young lady’s secret was apparently not so secret in the close-knit Alaskan town where the Palin family lives. When the rest of the country found out, even more news coverage focused on the family.

Very public incidents like these impact regular teens. Not all blame should be placed on the media, however. Schools deserve some of the fault. Some have been known to enact “Bring Your Kids to School Day.” If that’s not encouraging young people to get pregnant, I don’t know what is. Think of all the attention a teen mother would receive as classmates ask about the silly behaviors of her little mini-me.

When it comes down to it, most people sympathize with young moms and commend them for toughing it out and taking care of their babies. But teenage pregnancy has been made into something it is not. It has been glamorized like a new, expensive pair of shoes. Teens may think they are ready, that all a baby requires is someone to feed it and change it every once in a while. Teaching sex education at schools isn’t enough anymore. Today’s teens must be taught the responsibilities that go along with raising a kid. Someone needs to stop children from having children of their own.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 137 comments.


on May. 28 2009 at 1:03 am
JasonsBaby GOLD, Spencer, West Virginia
11 articles 0 photos 42 comments

Favorite Quote:
when i get mad i tend to tell people to "go suck a fart"

i agree ,there was a girl at my skool who had a baby at fourteen,people really should think before doing things

on Apr. 28 2009 at 1:50 am
WriterNYC SILVER, Akron, Ohio
8 articles 2 photos 3 comments
I agree teen pregnacy is wrong I am 13 and have a two month old daughter. I had sex because my boyfriend forced my so be careful.

on Apr. 23 2009 at 3:30 pm
d3nyM3nOt BRONZE, Birmingham, Alabama
3 articles 0 photos 11 comments
i am 15 with a one year old and i love my son. my boyfriend and i are still together and raising him as one. i was worried at first about school and money but he really stepped up and took care of everything. asof today i still makes a in school and frequently go out with friends. my boyfriend is 17 so maybe that why hewas able to step up so easily. but just because my situation is better that some does not mean run off and have a baby because it is hard some days. i just wrote this to be an inspiration to other young mothers to be that it doesnt have to be the end of your life.

taytay21 said...
on Apr. 22 2009 at 3:23 pm
I totally agree with this story. My friend is 15

on Apr. 21 2009 at 10:54 pm
emolover95 GOLD, Park City, Utah
13 articles 0 photos 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

I agree. The media is glamorizing teenage pregnancies. We are just too young to be having children when we are barely growing up. It seems a little unfair to blame a lot of it on society. Cause even if the media wasn't around this stuff would still be happening. I think this is great though. Keep up the great work!

on Apr. 15 2009 at 5:50 pm
Melissarae9590 GOLD, Mesa, Arizona
14 articles 0 photos 5 comments
I totally agree with what you are saying. One of my best friends had a baby at the age of about 17... and even though she loves her baby; she struggles. Once a teen has a baby, their entire life changes. No longer can they go out and party or just randomly hang out with their friends. They now have the responsibity of another human life. I think teenagers should be more protected when having sex and be fully aware of the consiquences. Not everyone considers EVERYTHING that could happen and how life- changing it could be. JUST THINK ABOUT IT.

Reese said...
on Apr. 15 2009 at 2:22 pm
Reese, Laurel, Maryland
0 articles 0 photos 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
Mortimer Brewster: The name Brewster is code for Roosevelt.
Teddy Brewster: Code for Roosevelt?
Mortimer Brewster: Yes. Don't you see? Take the name Brewster, take away the B, and what have you got?
Teddy Brewster: Rooster!
Mortimer Brewster: Uh-huh. And what does a rooster do?
Teddy Brewster: Crows.
Mortimer Brewster:... It crows. And where do you hunt in Africa?
Teddy Brewster: On the veldt!
Mortimer Brewster: There you are: crows - veldt!
Teddy Brewster: Ingenious! My compliments to the boys in the code department.

I don't agree with what EmoPoet234 said...................(I agree with you 100%. Being a teen mom isnt all its cracked up to be. Trust me i know. After having my son Owen i was never the same. i am 14 with a 3 year old son who poses to be my younger brother. I hate it when my friends ask if hes mine because its embarassing. So girls DONT GET PREGNATE TOO EARLY!!) If I had a baby at you're age I would NEVER let people think or tell people that he/she is my little sibling. And I would NEVER EVER say that I'm embarassed that I had a child and I would NEVER FEEL embarassed that I had a child at such a young age it would make the child feel unwated and unloved and NO child SHOULD EVER have to feel those things no matter what. A child is a gift and should be treated as such....otherwise they become distant and they don't tell you things that maybe thay should be talking to you about......But thats just what I think and how I feel others may feel differently about it. Thanks........

on Apr. 7 2009 at 11:16 pm
First of all i understand fully that having babies at a young age is not pretty at all, but you have to understand that girls like me who are pregnant dont need critism we need helpful advice and somebody to lean on doing these hard times. I am 18 years old and when i have my baby i will be 19 years old. This was my first time having sex when i got pregnant and i wasnt thinking about being like celebrities when i fond out i was pregnant. I was thinking about what now do i have to do to support my baby. Half of my family has disowned me and yea it hurted for a while, but they made more mistakes then i did and if it wasnt for people like my mama and godmama i dont know if i would of been able to walk with my head held high. So im tellin all these young girls yea getting pregnant isn't glamorous and can be hard, but if you are pregnant walk with your head high and never let anybody put you down. Yea you made a mistake by not being more cautious when you were having sex, but GOD DOESNT MAKE MISTAKES...HE MAKES ANGELS...and all teenage girls dont try to be like people on t.v. or in magazines we just want to be our own selves and follow our own paths and sometimes our paths get crossed with something life changing events, but no matter what we have to walk with our head up high and ignore that hyporcites that talk about us because no matter what you say about me ima be the best mother to my child then some of the people who talk about me is or ever will be. We are not in NO place to judge anybody thats God's place and NOBODY is better then the next person.

on Mar. 22 2009 at 10:12 pm
I don't think it's sad seeing kids raising kids. It was their choice to do it in the first place. It is, in fact, sad seeing our world turn into such a place.

on Mar. 16 2009 at 2:07 am
chowder16 SILVER, Steele, Alabama
5 articles 0 photos 9 comments
I couldn't agree more. I've seen several young "mothers" amd half of them can't take care of themselves.What right do these girls have bringing a child into this world if they can't take care of it.

on Mar. 2 2009 at 6:32 pm
Sydney(: BRONZE, N/a, New Hampshire
4 articles 0 photos 47 comments
I agree. It's sad seeing kids that have to raise kids.

Meagan SILVER said...
on Feb. 28 2009 at 5:48 pm
Meagan SILVER, Albert Lea, Minnesota
9 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them."
-Lemony Snicket

I don't think teens get pregnant for attention because it's mostly all negative. And, not only that, but it's not always their fault. What if they did use protection and it failed them? Are they held responsible for that as well?



I, a fifteen year old, am fully aware of how these women are treated. My mother had me while she was in highschool (and even discussed abortion) and I've heard many of her stories. Not only that but my father stuck around and they have been married for eleven years. I have a sister who's 13 years younger than me and she often gets mistaken as my own child. My mom also had a sister 14 years younger than her. These situations leads to some of the nastiest comments and stares ever. I feel this is completely rude. It's nobodies business wether or not the little girl with me is my child. It does not involve them in any way.



While, yes, many of the pregnancies are irresponsible, that doesn't mean all of them are and that doesn't mean you should look down on the women who have them. They're are obviously still working hard to support their family and I think that says even more about them than the pregnancy in the first place.

on Feb. 20 2009 at 10:41 pm
i like how u backed up ur opinon wit actual facts however i think this article nedded a bit more editing

on Feb. 19 2009 at 5:41 pm
Chuckney BRONZE, London, Other
2 articles 3 photos 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You cannot be lonely if you like the person you’re alone with. " Wayne Dyer.

I agree with the message of your article. The tone does change quite substantially throughout, though: from more factual at the beginning to very informal by the end. Neither of these are wrong, it's just good to try and keep the style constant throughout.

on Feb. 17 2009 at 4:47 pm
The facts in this article are highly suspect. His first statement doesn't make mathmatical sense. If there were 900,000 pregnancies anually, then that works out to about 103 pregnancies per hour, not 52. Here's the math: 365 days times 24 hours in a day is 8760 hours in a year. 900,000 births devided by 8760 hours gives you births per hour. 900,000 divided by 8760 equals 102.7 births per hour. Also, there is no specific school that has "Bring Your Child to School Day." No evidence is cited for this, and based on my research, no school can be found that supports this, and no articles can be found claiming that a school did this.

coolness said...
on Feb. 13 2009 at 5:44 pm
I totaly agree i think someone needs to stop these children before they have there own

EmoPoet234 said...
on Feb. 13 2009 at 3:20 pm
I agree with you 100%. Being a teen mom isnt all its cracked up to be. Trust me i know. After having my son Owen i was never the same. i am 14 with a 3 year old son who poses to be my younger brother. I hate it when my friends ask if hes mine because its embarassing. So girls DONT GET PREGNATE TOO EARLY!!

DomoLuvsYou said...
on Feb. 7 2009 at 3:46 am
i agree with you.I have a friend who thought she was pregnant and she made it seem like it wasnt a big deal.She doesnt understand how much money and time it takes to raise a kid.I know because my sister got pregnant at 17 and she is now 20 and on her 3rd pregancy.My mom also got pregnant as a teen and most of the women in my family got pregnant at a young age.Me personaly i want to get a chance to grow up before i start thinking about kids.Yea i have an older boyfriend, he's almost 18 but neither 1 of us are looking to have any kids any time soon.I also wouldnt try to get myself pregnant to make him stay because like u said most dads dont stay.I think that teens think about how much they love kids and how much they wont thier own.What they dont see is that its not easy when you are 16 trying to go to school work and take care of a baby.You wont have any time to do any of the things all your other friends are doing.Good article

Liamliayaum said...
on Feb. 2 2009 at 9:52 pm
Chandler, I agree with your view on teen pregnancy. Whenever a celebrity gets pregnant, the media fawns over them, obsessing even and not paying attention to bigger issues. There have been countless times when I turn on the news and the newscast is about another celebrity couple being pregnant. Mind you, I tend to watch NBC and FOX, but still. The media is not the only one to blame here though. Someone had mentioned earlier that a lot of the blame should go on the parents of the pregnant teen, as often times the parents are very neglectful and too absorbed in their own lives to notice their daughter.



Someone had also brought up the TV show "The Secret Life of the American Teenager" and I do not agree that the show portrays teen pregnancy in a good light. It shows the struggles that a teen mom goes through, from deciding how to continue school, day care, money for the baby and if so is there a need to get a job, who's going to watch the baby, and so forth. If the show does anything, it brings to life the realities of teen pregnancy without being too harsh.



Overall, teen pregnancy is an issue that NEEDS to be addressed and solved. Teen pregnancies also fuel the abortion fire, which could simmer down if teens could start being responsible and choosing the right decisions.

baller911 said...
on Jan. 29 2009 at 10:58 pm
I do agree to the person that wrote this article.Many teenage women,or "girls" are just not caring whether they are expecting or not. I think this is becoming an unwanted habit,but i'll just say,it just happens.Do THINK ABOUT THE AFTERMATH.IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE.