Teen Baby Trend | Teen Ink

Teen Baby Trend MAG

Does today’s generation glamorize teenage pregnancy? About four in ten girls become pregnant before age 20. Annually, about 900,000 teenage pregnancies occur nationally – approximately 52 pregnancies per hour. Almost 40 percent of young mothers haven’t reached the age of 18 when they become pregnant.

An epidemic. How could something like teenage pregnancy ever become so popular that it’s considered an epidemic? Of course we all know the obvious reason for pregnancy, but one perplexing question is why aren’t teens being more ­responsible? One would think that young adults would know enough to be careful. However, not using protection isn’t always the cause of teenage pregnancy.

Surprising as it may seem, some teenage girls may choose to get pregnant because they don’t see any life goals within their reach other than motherhood. Some may be seeking the unconditional love of a child. Or maybe a young woman believes that having her boy­friend’s baby will make him want to stay with her. However, nearly 80 percent of these fathers do not marry the mother of their children.

Sadly, an intended pregnancy doesn’t hold the advantages that young people believe it will. I believe another cause is something many desire and thrive on: ­attention. Attention can cause a big (but false) boost in self-esteem. It provides a temporary happiness that is addictive for some.

If you pick up any magazine like People, Star, or Us Weekly, you are pretty much guaranteed to find at least one article about a pregnant celebrity. Millions and millions of people fawn over these stars. When celeb mommies spill the details about their ­little soon-to-be bundles of joy, people seek to emulate their glamorous lives.

One of the most popular confessional pieces in the ­media recently was about a famous teenage mother: Jamie Lynn Spears. She starred in “Zoey 101” – a popular Nickelodeon show among both tweens and little tykes – for only three seasons before she leaked to OK! magazine about her “surprising and shocking” pregnancy with her older boyfriend, Casey Aldridge.

For months, Jamie was on baby watch. Paparazzi followed her around begging for comments and pictures of her and her developing baby-bump. Every tabloid had something to say about Spears’s unborn child, and most of the articles were positive accounts of the support she was ­receiving from her parents and how she and Aldridge were planning to marry.

Another recent, highly public teenage pregnancy was that of Bristol Palin, daughter of Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin. The young lady’s secret was apparently not so secret in the close-knit Alaskan town where the Palin family lives. When the rest of the country found out, even more news coverage focused on the family.

Very public incidents like these impact regular teens. Not all blame should be placed on the media, however. Schools deserve some of the fault. Some have been known to enact “Bring Your Kids to School Day.” If that’s not encouraging young people to get pregnant, I don’t know what is. Think of all the attention a teen mother would receive as classmates ask about the silly behaviors of her little mini-me.

When it comes down to it, most people sympathize with young moms and commend them for toughing it out and taking care of their babies. But teenage pregnancy has been made into something it is not. It has been glamorized like a new, expensive pair of shoes. Teens may think they are ready, that all a baby requires is someone to feed it and change it every once in a while. Teaching sex education at schools isn’t enough anymore. Today’s teens must be taught the responsibilities that go along with raising a kid. Someone needs to stop children from having children of their own.

bunbun74 SILVER, Fort Collins, Colorado
I completly agree with you. Our world is changing so so much. I can't believe it when i hear of how young people are getting pregnant, its not even funny. It would never be funny. When your an adolecent you may be in love with someone, but once that happens it turns it to lust, because all it was, was your horomones raging. Its so saddening to hear about all of the ways so many girls have had to deal with this.

freeflow23 GOLD, Durham, North Carolina

Saul saw Goliath as too big to kill. David saw he was too big to miss.
W.W.J.D.

This is a pretty awesome article with a good message. Not many people could've said it better.

We're all taking the ride back to the medieval times

Girl starts puberty, the parents marry her off, and she gets to stay home and take care of her 5 kids. Whoppee!

'Cept now the parents would more likely disown her.

Some girls have lost the art of thinking for themselves.

radicalhonesty GOLD, Alpharetta, Georgia

There is no situation, facet, or aspect of life that cannot be improved with pizza. -Daria

I completley agree! while i don't know any teen moms(fortunatley), there are a few girls in my school who are labeled as s l u t t y. They actually joke about being on 14 and pregnant! They really don't understand that getting pregnant means a child you have to take care of. And I know a 6th grader who has already french kissed, and I don't want to think about what else she's doing. it disgusts me.

this article wasn't meant to judge anyone. In fact, it never really insulted teen moms. It just helped guide people to understand why getting pregnant is such a bad idea. 

Kaitou_Kid BRONZE, Yorkton, Other

"Because with a keen eye for details, only one truth, will prevail." - Shinichi Kudo

Well you're mature aren't you?

tanmayeeambekar BRONZE, Pune, Other

Be kind, for everyone is fighting their own battle. -Plato
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost
The best way out is always through.- Robert Frost

You've written a really great article! It's what teens today need. 

MKimmi said...
MKimmi, NY, New York
wat is this world coming too?

TaylorJade BRONZE, Atlanta, Georgia

You're not alive unless you're living.

Holy mess!!!! A fifth grader?! Whoa! That's just completely wrong. And my older brother had a friend that had 4 kids before she graduated high school. She did graduate though, so that's better than most people. /:

jamikim BRONZE said...
jamikim BRONZE, Sterling, Illinois

the only thing holding yourself back is you.

one time our 1st hour class whent over to the elementary school to help some of the kids. and how sad is it that i saw a 5th GRADER PREGNATE!! not that is messed up.

KelleySchorn SILVER, Fort Worth, Texas

Whatever you are be a good one-some president i dont remember which
procrastinaters unite!...tomorrow!!-matt
i'm F-U-L-LLLLL i think i can spellllll-allie =]

yes i agree with what you are saying about not puttting down those who make mistakes but we definetly should not glorify it either. im  staying pure 'till marraige because i think if you really love someone you should be willing to wait, and if they are willing to leave you because you wont give them what they want then they really dont love you for you but for your body and thats not real love at all

MKimmi said...
MKimmi, NY, New York
OMG! Same here! Except in 9th grade mother, thought I am in 8th grade.

TaylorJade BRONZE, Atlanta, Georgia

You're not alive unless you're living.

Yes!!! It is ridiculous!!!!

Valhalla-is-calling GOLD, Waterboro, Maine

"No parent should have to bury their own child." -Theodin

OH MY GOD! HER SECOND CHILD!!!!!! AND SHES ONLY IN EIGHT GRADE!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

TaylorJade BRONZE, Atlanta, Georgia

You're not alive unless you're living.

I completely agree with this. I am in the eighth grade, and someone I know, also in the eighth grade, just had her second baby. A second child at only 13 or 14. So... yeah. /: More schools should definitely have classes on what comes with having a baby so young, and maybe, just maybe, it would change things.

AshleeH GOLD said...
AshleeH GOLD, Enterprise, Utah
Great argument! I completely agree with everything you wrote, well said and great transitions!

WritingAngel20 BRONZE, Ardmore, Alabama

"In order to suceed, your desire for success must be greater than your fear of failure" -Bill Cosby

I agree, like the movie, the pregnacy pact, girls want to get pregant and or don't realize what happens when you become a teen mom, and how much having a baby hurts!

redpanda26 SILVER, Chevy Chase, Maryland
This was well-written and made perfect sense. Good job, and I completely agree.

Freedom_Cow BRONZE, Manhattan, Kansas

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, we'd all be vegetarians." -- Paul McCartney
"I beseech thee to keep pure your highest ideals, strive ever towards them, let none stop ye or turn ye aside." -- The Charge of the Goddess

I know that does happen, and it makes me sad and a little angry. That's why I've made it my goal to never ostrasize anyone just because they made a mistake.

You're right to believe that people should remain chaste until marriage. Its a noble goal and I respect you for it.

But things happen sometimes, life can be harsh and unforgiving and young girls should not be thrown away for it.

jenniraffe BRONZE, Springfield, Virginia

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind--Dr. Suess

what if that girl's parents kick her out? its not uncommon. she could be alone. i agree with you mostly, except for that people shouldn't do stuff like that before they're married. obviously you're not alone, but still, it does hurt peoples lives. i totally agree with the article, though!