Too Hot For Hamburgers- Carl's Jr. and Explicit Advertising | Teen Ink

Too Hot For Hamburgers- Carl's Jr. and Explicit Advertising

November 4, 2014
By NatalieCarter BRONZE, Norco, California
NatalieCarter BRONZE, Norco, California
4 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"But I can brush the knots out of your hair and work the knots out of your back when your day becomes too much to bear. I may not be good at many things, but I can be good to you."


 For over seventy years, Carl’s Jr. has been a large part of the fast food chain business in America. Known for great burgers and their famous star-shaped chicken nuggets, the restaurant is increasingly popular and has been able to open over one thousand locations in the U.S. alone. To say that Carl’s Jr. has a large amount of consumers would be a correct statement. However, it should be noted that recently, many people have decided to stop supporting Carl’s Jr.-because of the way in which they degrade women.


Think back to the last time you experienced a Carl’s Jr. advertisement. Whether it was over the radio, in a magazine, on T.V., or on a billboard, the multi-million dollar franchise is sure to include blatantly sexual themes to sell their burgers. With scantily clad women and catchy but vulgar slogans, the company that was once founded on the simple and moral idea of happiness now celebrates explicit material.


When confronted about the inappropriate content they choose to display to American citizens-including minors, I was told, “We do not aim to offend anyone with our efforts, but merely to offer entertaining content,”.


But what is entertaining about desensitizing America? It is amusing to the owners of the company to promote a new food product by comparing it to a woman’s body? An example of a comparison between a woman’s breasts and a chicken sandwich was just made on the company’s verified twitter page. A picture of a chicken sandwich was posted along with the caption, “Turn on your hunger with big breasts”.  The chain has also recently adopted the slogan, “Eat it like you mean it,” and has started advertising its newest burger with the caption, “Join the Mile High Club-Twice”, printed onto billboards all over American freeways.


Perhaps what makes me most disappointed is the fact that despite many people reaching out and asking that the company make respectful advertisements, no change has been made. And unless more people take a stand, nothing will be fixed. Please join me in voicing this important opinion to the company and boycotting the chain until they advertise food-not women.


The author's comments:

I had to cover my little sister's eyes the last time a Carl's Jr. advertisement came on T.V.- and I am looking to change that.