Luv 2 Txt | Teen Ink

Luv 2 Txt MAG

January 29, 2009
By Christina Costello BRONZE, Hopedale, Massachusetts
Christina Costello BRONZE, Hopedale, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

You need to send a quick text to your mom to tell her soccer practice is canceled. In an effort not to get caught, you reach ever so slowly, skillfully, and one-handedly into your backpack. Drawing your bright purple handheld lifeline from the front pocket, you are careful not to press any button that will reveal your mission to Mr. Boring, who is yapping away at the front of the room. With the phone in your lap, you try not to look down as you type: “sccer canceled! pick^ @2 thx <3.”

Sent. You slip it into you pocket, fearing you will not be able to discreetly get it back in your bag. But wait … your BFF Lucy’s hair looked utterly ridiculous when you passed her in the hall on your way to bio. It’s unthinkable to wait until lunch to tell her. Only a horrid friend would let her saunter around with a mortifying hairdo! So, you repeat the sneaky process of texting: “Fix ur hair, its sticking ^!!!!” Now, not only have you just missed two whole possibly important minutes of Mr. Boring’s lecture, but you have furthered the decline of your spelling and vocabulary.

Could you understand the title of this article? Anyone who has ever texted or used instant messaging can. Most teens love to text. What our English teachers, parents, and future employers would prefer us to say is “I love grammar,” which most of us don’t. There are times when we have to use proper grammar and times when we don’t. The problem is that the line between when to spell-check and proofread and when to just type and send is becoming blurred and almost invisible.

The way we type when we use virtual communication devices affects the way we spell – not just when we’re in a rush, but on school or job assignments too. Ever caught yourself writing u instead of you in an ­essay for school? What about tho instead of though? In a world where instant gratification is everything, we simply do not take the time to add the few extra letters. Although teens today will eventually become the ones who set the standards for spelling and grammar, our elders are calling the shots now, and they tend to look down on spelling and grammatical errors. This could easily affect one’s grades or job opportunities.

Notice it or not, the words we choose, or rather don’t choose, when we use informal communication have significance. Rarely in a text message will a teen use the extensive vocabulary preached by our educators. Seldom do we see the word exultant for happy, morose for sad, querulous for annoyed, or ecstatic for glad in a text. We must reawaken this vast glossary of obscure and unused words if we expect to succeed on exams like the SATs that affect our future.

So, go ahead, work your fingers to the bone texting, but before you hit send, think about what you have written. Consider the words you chose and the way you spelled them and maybe, just maybe, you will retype your message.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 306 comments.


on Jan. 31 2010 at 8:33 am
A.) No, that was never said, implied, or hinted at by any of my comments. I don't appreciate you trying to twist my words into something they are not. My words are my opinion, open to criticism but not being changed by those who are not me. Of coarse people have more that one value!

There's an 'Interesting concept' for you.

B.) I am however saying, that grammar isn't a concern at all to other people. I recommend you respect that,(if you didn't catch me saying that last time, perhaps you will now...)

C.) I'm sorry that you think some text talk resembles the sounds of a caveman, but to others is resembles the word it's derived from.

D.) Did you even read my first comment before you replied? I could have sworn I had said "this isn't just the laziness of the texter"

I'm also sorry if this comment sounds particularly rude, but I feel as if you are trying to change my words and pick me apart.

Just try to understand! Other people do NOT value grammar, and probably don't get why you do. They do not see text talking as a problem, or even something with a fault.

Nick17 said...
on Jan. 31 2010 at 1:23 am
Nick17, Livermore, California
0 articles 0 photos 11 comments
Are you attempting to say that because I value grammar, I do not value fmaily, friends, or school work? Interesting concept. I do not dislike abbreviations. I dislike when words are intentionally misspelled or used improperly. 'U' is a letter, not a word. 'Ur' reminds me of a noise a caveman would grunt. 'LOL', 'txt', 'ppl', 'w/', 'ty'... all of this is pure laziness.

on Jan. 29 2010 at 5:21 pm
Wow- really? Do you really dislike abbreviated words that much? I mean, when I see 'Dr.' before someone's name or "M.D" after it, I usually think that person is pretty smart, not slow! ~joke~

Self respect requires proper grammar? Perhaps this is true for you, but all people have different values, and you have got to respect that no one else is you, and no one else has the exact same values. You value grammar and respect yourself, but other people value family, friends, school work, sports, or social status- and i recommend you respect that of other people, if you don't how can you expect them to respect you and your value of grammar?

For all we know, texting could be the way of the future, or a fad that will doe out quickly, to be looked back at in later years and laughed at like an old fashion trend or hair style. Either way, I wouldn't ridicule. I understand that you might believe grammar trumps a lot of other things, but some others are quite indifferent to the way there words are spelled and sentences are worded.

Nick17 said...
on Jan. 28 2010 at 10:41 pm
Nick17, Livermore, California
0 articles 0 photos 11 comments
Wait a minute. Let us look at the core issue here. Stop texting in class. Duh.

On top of that, my friend and I text each other back and forth all of the time. We use proper grammar, punctuation, spelling, and real words to boot. I am insulted when someone sends me a mesage that is missing vowels. Am I that unimportant to them that they can't take an extra 13 seconds to write properly? I TAed a class once, and docked points on all assignments if I saw "tho" or "u", or other such nonsense. If I see such words, I automatically think the author is a little slow. Self respect demands that one uses proper language skills at all times, regardless of the situation.

on Jan. 27 2010 at 6:26 pm
I get what you're saying in your article, but I don't think that the message is very urging. Yes, few people take the time to spell out words when texting, but the reason for this isn't just the laziness the texter. When using text language, you considerably slim down your chances or being caught by Mr. Boring, and increase your chances of fitting in.
I'm not saying that you should try to conform, or that using texting words will make your popularity soar, but it is the desire of many teens to fit in.
Not to mention, I've never written a text in my entirety, and yet i have no problem whatsoever trying to read "sccer canceld! pick ^ @2 thx <3"
Not that I don't appreciate your view, but but quite honestly I do not understand the dilemma. Text talking is kind of like short hand, except far easier to understand. If you cannot understand it, then it is something you have not learned- do not condescend on those who have further knowledge on a certain subject than you.

on Jan. 27 2010 at 5:14 pm
scotchtapedreams, Teaneck, New Jersey
0 articles 0 photos 11 comments
While I agreed on a lot of what you mentioned in the article, I have to disagree with the vocabulary point. Who was it? -- C.S. Lewis, I think, who said: Don't use words too big for the subject. Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite.

If I'm ecstatic, I'll say so. Otherwise, I'll say happy because that's what I am. They aren't the same word, and I wouldn't use them interchangeably.

on Jan. 27 2010 at 4:11 pm
SarClark BRONZE, NC, Connecticut
2 articles 0 photos 534 comments
I mean yeah, I get your point, but if i gotta text my mom or someone, i wait till passing time.

on Jan. 27 2010 at 1:40 am
Writedancelove&live GOLD, Redding, California
12 articles 2 photos 66 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
"Karen: If you're from Africa why are you white? Gretchen: Omg Karen, you can't just ask people why they're white."

I do the same exact thing. I don't use big words too often, but it does happen. I do however write out all of my words unless i'm trying to shorten it to make all of my words fit. And I absolutely love smilies : )

on Jan. 16 2010 at 8:49 am
Miss_Bliss GOLD, Waban, Massachusetts
17 articles 0 photos 31 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If we did all the things we were capable of, we would literally astound ourselves."

-Thomas Edison

Oh my god, you could be my twin! I'm exactly the same way; often, people look at me funnily when I use a big word, and I have to translate into "normal speak." I correct everyone's grammar, and twinge when my teachers use improper grammar... Also, I use an awful lot of smilies, too. :) Grammar lovers unite!

on Jan. 6 2010 at 10:01 pm
AlessandraEloise SILVER, Monroeville, New Jersey
7 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
please take me out of my body, up through the palm trees to smell California in sweet hypocrisy.

I'm loving the metaphor.

Christina C said...
on Jan. 6 2010 at 6:31 pm
Thank you for appreciating my article for what it is. I really don't care if, or how the majority of teenagers text, my goal was to simply make them cognizant of the fact that not exercising good grammer and spelling words correctly and creep up in unexpected places. I'm sure no one would purposefully use "text lingo" in a school essay, but you write the way you're used to. If you do it wrong at practice, there's no promiss you'll fix it at the game.

on Jan. 5 2010 at 9:48 pm
Your_Guardian_Angel PLATINUM, Clermont, Florida
26 articles 5 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I have great confidence in fools, my friends call it self-confidence."

i think the only thing worse is when people speak text. like when girls scream out "OMG" or "LOL"

on Jan. 5 2010 at 8:32 pm
boston418 SILVER, Weymouth, Massachusetts
5 articles 0 photos 48 comments

Favorite Quote:
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." -Jim Eliot

Amen to that. As a self-professed facebook addict, I'm really trying to understand how truly essential these things are, so I'm on day two of my month of from facebook. While facebook can be nice to shoot someone a quick "hi there" and texting can be fine to make plans for lunch, I am finding that in excess, they are hurting me more than they are helping me. With the push of one button, I can reach five hundred something friends and spread and receive gossip faster than a wildfire. I'm learning that the keys are moderation and consistency, and that when I balance my time with these things, naturally, the appreciation for eloquence increases and the necessity for quick bites of info decreases.

on Jan. 5 2010 at 8:30 pm
boston418 SILVER, Weymouth, Massachusetts
5 articles 0 photos 48 comments

Favorite Quote:
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." -Jim Eliot

Amen to that. As a self-professed facebook addict, I'm really trying to understand how truly essential these things are, so I'm on day two of my month of from facebook. While facebook can be nice to shoot someone a quick "hi there" and texting can be fine to make plans for lunch, I am finding that in excess, they are hurting me more than they are helping me. With the push of one button, I can reach five hundred something friends and spread and receive gossip faster than a wildfire. I'm learning that the keys are moderation and consistency, and that when I balance my time with these things, naturally, the appreciation for eloquence increases and the necessity for quick bites of info decreases.

on Jan. 5 2010 at 6:43 pm
harpangel BRONZE, Voorhees, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
A kingdom founded on injustice never lasts- Seneca, a Roman philosopher.

it's kind of ironic that i was texting while reading this article, but anyway, this is like the third how texting affects you article i've read, but i think i need to rethink my texting becuase it does affect me in my writing

emilli said...
on Jan. 5 2010 at 6:05 pm
I actually always write in completely correct grammar and capitalization. But I do put an awful lot of smiley faces (;

RoboCop BRONZE said...
on Jan. 5 2010 at 6:03 pm
RoboCop BRONZE, Easley, South Carolina
2 articles 2 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.” ~Audrey Hepburn

i completely agree with your piece. i sometimes use shortened versions of words because of the character maximum number. usually, i will spell the words out entirely. it's better to spell out what you mean because there are some teens that do not use that kind of "language". then, most of our parents don't text a lot so they are going to be used to the grammer they learned in school.

Cassidy said...
on Jan. 5 2010 at 5:14 pm
that's true, in regards to your comment about things such as 'lol', 'brb', and 'idk'. i was referring to the examples in the article ('^' for up, '2' for to, taking out pretty much all vowels, etc).

as far as texting being the cause of the downfall of our entire generation's social, literary, and academic futures, i have to disagree.

on Jan. 5 2010 at 6:14 am
xAllegria BRONZE, Singapore, Other
1 article 2 photos 112 comments

Favorite Quote:
Ça fait tellement du bien d’aimer les gens qu’on aime, que ça finit par faire mal. Je sais pas comment on survit a ça. Non franchement, je sais pas. LOL (laughing out loud) ®, Lola.

I DO use short form while texting, but mostly because it uses less money for my phone... I don't think I use it anywhere else though.

Have you heard of this funny study? It showed that in France, students who were better at spelling were the ones who used abbreviations most when texting or instant messaging!

on Jan. 4 2010 at 2:59 pm
AlessandraEloise SILVER, Monroeville, New Jersey
7 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
please take me out of my body, up through the palm trees to smell California in sweet hypocrisy.

I agree, I rarely fully capitalize in texting or instant messaging.

I also agree on the fact that this condescending to the population that does not use chat abbreviations, but my opinion differs on the number of population. As far as I've seen, the majority, at least, uses 'lol' or 'brb' or 'idk'.

To be honest, I'm extremely upset that electronic media is deteriorating the English language and print media. I plan to be in journalism and I love online articles, but there's nothing like a great print magazine or newspaper.