This I Believe | Teen Ink

This I Believe

By daisypflaum BRONZE, York, Pennsylvania
daisypflaum BRONZE, York, Pennsylvania

Walking down the narrow halls in school, I see people walking alone, arguing, and glaring. When I step outside, the hatred only grows. The honking of cars to get to a certain destination, the subtle but forceful glances while one is eating at a restaurant, the continuous need to be right.  On social media, someone can be anyone they want to be; their presence can be either positive or negative. There are endless amounts of unreal images posted and hateful comments. However, can you imagine a world where all of the hustle of life slowed down and noticed the best in a specific moment? I believe that the sole existence of a person is to aid someone with their hardships and to see the light in any suffering.

When I was younger, I went to visit my great grandmother once or twice a week. I vividly remember the day she fell. It was a Saturday and she fell causing her to get rather scraped up and bleed. My mom rushed to the phone to call for assistance. After the aid came, and she got patched up with bandages, we continued to make the chili we were originally making. Nana sat by the window watching the sparrows and occasionally dropped some bird seed out of the window as the zesty scent of soup filled every crevice of the apartment. She smiled down at the birds and thanked God for all creating the sun, and the wonderful food she was about to eat prior to eating the meal I had just served her. Despite, her long and eventful day full of hardships, she still thanked God and appreciated the simplistic nature around her. On September 13, 2015, my great grandmother past away. At her funeral, in her accommodations, she wished to have “What a Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong, play at her funeral. This song was very significant to me because my Nana always saw the best in the world, always saw the potential of others, and always was kind to anyone she met.

Through my great-grandmother, I have recognized just how important it is to protect our planet and to spread love. She showed me that even in my stress I am still me and the world is still good if you are good to it. It is very simple to be kind to anyone you meet. You must put your differences aside and simply respect them as a human who has the right to their own opinion. So, next time you go out, say hello to someone new. Compliment someone’s outfit you like. Be the brightness in the world. Make someone's life a little easier by making them feel needed. The mindset you have influences how you live your life. I believe in the power of kindness and the ability to love life. This I believe.

This piece is about what I believe. Make a difference in someone's life if you can.