Freedom of Speech: Seen and Heard | Teen Ink

Freedom of Speech: Seen and Heard

By anna011 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
anna011 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Hands cling to the wooden post, so tight all knuckles appear white. My eyes travel from the hands to land on the signs attached above, covered in words fighting for basic rights. No chaotic chants, no violent voices, and not even a whisper is spread. Freedom of speech that can not be heard, but seen. Seen through the protestor’s hours of standing, passionate eyes, furrowed brows, and tight grips to what they believe is worth fighting for. Freedom of speech was established in American to give the people a voice.

Freedom of speech can be heard. Those who wish to use their voice for what they believe in. Shouts roaring from the throats of people in protest like every word is a stab at who they face.

Freedom of speech can be seen. Arguing in not expression but silence to show strength in their opinion. Signs stapled down in yards, media posts starting movements, and petitions scribbled with pen.

In America you have the right to practice free speech. This right was fought for by brave individuals with devotion in their hearts. Because of this devotion people can make difference and provoke others to do the same. I look at these people with sore hands and tired feet and feel a sense of pride that in America, you will be heard and you will be seen.