Women in politics | Teen Ink

Women in politics

By paulisgreat BRONZE, Lebanon, Ohio
paulisgreat BRONZE, Lebanon, Ohio

There are many government positions held by many people but only 23% of those positions are held by women. (1) Sylvia Wright is a women’s rights activist from Salem Oregon who has noticed this imbalance of gender in Washington. “We need to confront society and face the indisputable evidence of gender inequality in our country.” Wright said at a rally in her home state. “Government jobs require brains and yet, although more women go to college than men, (2) the ratio of men to women is so lopsided against women?” I’ll tell you why. Government officials are elected by the people. This country isn’t willing to give up its prejudice towards women. It’s a system to keep women in their place. But we refuse to be assigned a ‘place’ by others around us, we will create our own paths, live how we want to live, not how others are telling us to.” There is truth to Sylvia’s argument. The republican party is one of the biggest and most influential parties in the United States, and are significantly more likely to vote for a man than a women (3). Sylvia finished her speech with these last few points.  “There are many complaints and injustices that I could talk about all day, but that isn’t what I’m here for. Calling people out cannot solely eradicate a flaw because, deep down, everyone knows what they’ve done and why they’ve done it. I’m not here to say there’s a problem. We all know that there’s a problem. I’m here to fix that problem. We need to take action not talk about it. Encourage others to fight for justice with you. From a young age, teach your kids that there are no people but people with superior character. This is how we should choose how to vote. Don’t automatically vote for a man when he is running against a women. Ask yourself, ‘Who’s more qualified? Who will be a better representation of our country?’ If we can do this than it will change so much. It will change the attitude of society. It will change, not just how we vote, but how we respect and think of others. It will create a better world because that’s what we’re doing here, one issue at a time.” 

Works Cited

Marcus, Jon. Why Men are the New College Minority. The Atlantic._ 8/8/2017.Web. 7/24/2020.

Abrams, Abigail.See How Many Men There Are for Each Woman in U.S. Government.  Time._11/7/2016. Web. 7/25/2020.

Bialik, Carl. Are You More Likely To Vote For A Woman Or A Man?. FiveThirtyEight.com._ 2/17/2016. Web. 7/27/2020.

Sandra Day O'Connor Biography. Biography._ 7/19/2019. Web. 7/27/2020.

Total population of the United States, by gender 2010-2024. Statista._2020. Web. 7/27/2020.

I'm a freshmen in high school and I wrote this for an English project.