Why Your Vote Matters | Teen Ink

Why Your Vote Matters

By BenjaminSchanz BRONZE, Amity, Oregon
BenjaminSchanz BRONZE, Amity, Oregon

“Does my vote really even matter?” As a first-time voter in this last presidential election, and someone who had many friends who were also participating in their first election, this was a question I was frequently asked. My first response would be to say, “Because, it’s your duty as an American citizen!” Obviously, this wasn’t a convincing or complete answer for the person who was asking the question, and frankly, I started to realize I didn’t even have a logical or articulate answer. So, I decided I needed to form a full response to this question. 

My first point is a simple but effective one. My vote matters because hundreds of thousands of Americans have died to preserve my right to vote. If someone is willing to pay the highest price to allow me to vote then the least I can do is utilize this right and encourage others to do the same. If this doesn’t inspire someone to vote, I don’t know what will.

All around the world we see countries where their elections are entirely corrupt or even worse they are ruled by some form of dictatorship and not even allowed to vote. This brings me to my next point. As Americans we are an example to the rest of the world of what a just voting system should look like. Our right to vote is a gift that not everyone around the world possesses and because of this we should feel obligated to accept this gift by voting.

As an Oregon resident, we have a very significant liberal majority. Consequently a question you very often hear is, “why does my vote matter?” but less often do you hear an answer. To answer this question you have to look past just the winning of elections, and more to how elected officials will lead. If everyone in the minority were to  vote, even though they knew their preferred candidate wouldn’t win, the elected official would see that there was a considerable number of people that voted for the opposing and he/she would be inclined to govern in a way that somewhat appeases the minority.

Lastly, voting is the most practical way for my voice to be heard. My vote is an opportunity to express myself, my opinions, and my worldview. I express myself through the party I choose, measures I vote to pass, and candidates I hope to see elected. My first question for anyone who is complaining about policies that are affecting them is, “did you vote?” If the answer is, “no” then that person has no right to complain. If you care about our country and what direction we are headed then you should have the desire to vote. Our 33rd president, Harry Truman, said it best, “A vote is the best way of getting the kind of country, and the kind of world, you want.”

I hope that these viewpoints will drive you to vote and push you to encourage others to do the same. Our great country has been formed by past generation’s decisions through voting and it is our duty to keep this valuable privilege alive through utilizing it.